• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC (4K) HDR monitors are coming in 2017

Sky87

Good to know, hope to see it at CES, I've still never seen HDR content in person

I would wait as long as possible if i were you. I saw the top of the line Samsung 4K+HDR TV, and the fact i don't own one is painful, it looked that good.

Of course, the store clerk said that basing purchases on in-store HDR demos isn't the way to go. The content just isn't here yet, and the standards aren't set in stone.

III-V

No mention of peak brightness, so likely does not meet Ultra HD Premium specification although it does support 2016 levels of wide color gamut. This should be a nice upgrade for some folks. Ready to hear the price.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
This is awesome, if only because it will hopefully help push development for HDR support on PC finally. Been waiting for this.

Ultimate display for me would be gsync 4k HDR VA with no bleed, good pixel response times, vizio p black levels, and 120hz for the desktop windows usage.

That would just be swell and I'd pay over a grand for something like that.

I said it before but im still waiting on oled hdr 4k ultrawide 144hz 2ms g/freesync.

Soon, soon, SOON!

Are these ever going to be suitable for PC usage considering there's image retention? Rtings says don't use them for pc monitors.

I just want a 24-27" monitor, with HDR. Doesn't have to be full 4k, 1440p if fine. 60hz is fine, 144 if G-sync. That'll do the job, waiting for that to exist and be affordable.

27-32 inches

$850 USD or less

4K + HDR

Reasonable all-around input latency (which is <30ms as far as I'm concerned)

2x HDMI inputs, 1x DisplayPort input, 1x audio out for my speakers

VESA mount bracket in the back so it can fit on my existing monitor arm

Out by Fall 2017

Would buy and retire my current BenQ 1080p monitor to be my work entertainment monitor. Wish I had the space for a full 55-65in TV but that's no dice.

Be a nice bonus if Sony released an updated PSVR pass-through box that could allow 4K+HDR that doesn't break the bank.

Also wouldn't mind for super-fast settings profile swapping being built into the monitor's firmware, I feel like it takes just a few too many inputs to be convenient on my BenQ -- not that I ever actually need to swap on my BenQ, but I know that with HDR content, having a profile tuned for HDR and one tuned for non-HDR will likely be a reality. Having a toggle button would be great, rather than going thru 4 inputs thru a slow-responding menu to make it happen.

After reading about how HDR increases input lag I think I can live without it for a few more years. What PC gamers REALLY need is Displayport 1.3/1.4 that can open the floodgates for 4K/120Hz monitors. That is the real future tech right there if Freesync/Gsync are implemented as well.

dr_rus

Another HDR 4K monitor announced, this time from BenQ - and judging from the specs it's using the same LGP IPS panel probably: BenQ Flagship Photographer Monitor SW320 Recaptures Vibrant Moments with High-Precision Color and HDR

1481023883.jpg

TAIPEI, TAIWAN, December 6, 2016 &#8211; BenQ, internationally renowned provider of digital lifestyle devices, today announced the SW320 photographer monitor, a 31.5-inch 4K display with class-leading color performance and High Dynamic Range (HDR) capability. Spanning a wide color gamut covering 99% of Adobe RGB and 100% of sRGB, Rec. 709, and the digital cinema industry&#8217;s DCI-P3 color space, SW320&#8217;s true 10-bit IPS panel and advanced 14-bit lookup table (LUT) deliver spectacular color quality with precise &#8804;2 Delta E values.

This one is definitely not for gaming though.

I passed up waiting for these and got a "55 KS8000 4k HDR TV instead. $729. I use it as often as my 144hz IPS 1440p monitor now. TV's need to adopt display port so we can utilize the 120hz native panels already. Also would love to see freesync on them.

Either way I'm still happy they're here. Means we'll get more HDR PC games.

I messaged Bioware about PC getting HDR10 support on Twitter after they put out a message saying that ME: Andromeda would have Dolby Vision support for PC. They responded "we'll have more details later." -__-

Would be odd if they supported Dolby Vision but not HDR10 on PC.

I hope they won't all be IPS. What's the point of "HDR" if you are limited to 2000:1 or less static contrast.

VA panels have much worse pixel response times. Which is an issue for PC use. Mouse movements, scrolling, text etc., and of course fast camera movements in video games.

It's no wonder most monitors are TN or IPS based.

Renekton

VA panels have much worse pixel response times. Which is an issue for PC use. Mouse movements, scrolling, text etc., and of course fast camera movements in video games.

It's no wonder most monitors are TN or IPS based.
Samsung claimed to have addressed this in their current QLED VA monitor line (CFG70).

dr_rus

Asus announced another 4K HDR monitor, targeted on pro users mostly: ASUS ProArt PA32U Display: 4K, 1000 Nits Brightness, 95% DCI-P3, 85% Rec. 2020

asus_pro_art_monitor_pa32u_678_678x452.jpg

The ASUS ProArt PA32U uses a 4K UHD panel with HDR capabilities, a quantum dot film and a special backlight featuring 384 LED zones that enable 1000-nit brightness and support for local dimming. The manufacturer notes that its new panel with quantum dots, backlighting and calibration enable the monitor to cover 99.5% of the Adobe RGB, 85% of the Rec. 2020, 100% of the sRGB and 95% of the DCI-P3 color spaces, which makes the display particularly appealing to artists and photographers (Adobe RGB) as well as to video editors and animation designers who do post-production work for digital cinema or TV (DCI-P3 and BT.2020). The number of features, as well as the use of quantum dot technology, represents an interesting combination for a professional display. Moreover, it looks like the ASUS ProArt PA32U will be one of the first mass-market monitors supporting the Rec. 2020 color gamut at all and covering 85% of it.
The ASUS ProArt PA32U will be available in Q3 2017 for $1799 – $1999.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
looks like the LG 32UD99-W will be available by the end of may for 999.99.

I think I'm gonna pre-order on my next paycheck.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Any word on ULMB (LightBoost / strobing) support on any of these ones? I've been wondering how that will play out with HDR peak brightness requirements.

laxu

I'm annoyed that the ASUS 144 Hz 4K display is only 27". I feel at that res my 1440p 27" is the perfect resolution vs screen size combo but 4K could easily be 30-32" and look fine with a bit of scaling.

Overall the availability of G-Sync displays in various sizes has been pretty bad, with only few 27-28" screens and only one larger 4K G-Sync display.

My ideal display would be 30-32" 4K, 144 Hz, G-Sync + ULMB + HDR. Maybe next year...

shandy706

When we get large/fast 4k monitors I'm going to have to get one for my racing setup. Hook my gaming PC/Scorpio up to it and be in beautiful racing heaven.

Edit** Just notice the 144hz 4k screens. What are we looking at price wise on the 27" ones?

Duxxy3

Prices are so high that I think I'll get a 4k tv for Scorpio and leave my PC's on 1080p monitors. At least for now.

Cyanity

Banned
Will we see HDR on monitors below 4k? Until 4k is feasible at ~90 fps in most titles and there are actually monitors (and an HDMI-standard) that support refresh rates above 60 at 4k I'm not really interested in the resolution bump, but HDR would be neat. 1440p/144hz with HDR would be ideal...

1440p 144hz with HDR and Gsync would be the god upgrade.

144 Hz / 1440p HDR-OLED-GSync would be my ideal, but I kind of doubt that will happen.

Probably stick with my GTX 1070 / Dell GSync set up for a few years and then do a massive upgrade to a more 4K-capable GPU + a 4K HDR GSync monitor. Hopefully OLED.

Fuck I love OLED.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to be all over that PG27UQ once they actually announce a date and price... hoping it's slightly below $1000.

I have to upgrade my TV and monitor setup... but I'm really only playing games on a monitor right now, so I'll do that first and wait for OLED prices to go down a bit on TV.

Oxn

I'm going to be all over that PG27UQ once they actually announce a date and price... hoping it's slightly below $1000.

I have to upgrade my TV and monitor setup... but I'm really only playing games on a monitor right now, so I'll do that first and wait for OLED prices to go down a bit on TV.

luls below 1000.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
luls below 1000.

That's why I said hoping...

If some of these are coming in at $900-$1200, it's not out of the realm of possibility to get a $999.

If you're referring to the ASUS 4K HDR GSync Quantum Dot monitor, the MSRP is $2000.

Ok, so explain to me how movies filmed on celluloid can be HDR. Isn't HDR something where the data needs to be generated (game engine or 3D animation) or recorded (on something like a super expensive Red digital camera?).

I mean there are HDR films like San Andreas that was filmed using tons of practical effects on 35mm. What gives? Is it faked like 3D is faked with rotoscoping and stuff? Does 35mm actually capture a higher range of color than is displayed when transferred to standard blueray?

scitek

Ok, so explain to me how movies filmed on celluloid can be HDR. Isn't HDR something where the data needs to be generated (game engine or 3D animation) or recorded (on something like a super expensive Red digital camera?).

I mean there are HDR films like San Andreas that was filmed using tons of practical effects on 35mm. What gives? Is it faked like 3D is faked with rotoscoping and stuff? Does 35mm actually capture a higher range of color than is displayed when transferred to standard blueray?

Film has more color and light information than SDR can display. The information has always been there, but now it can now be turned into metadata for TVs to decode and show properly.

ASUS ROG HDR Quantum Dot Monitors STRIX XG27VQ, SWIFT PG27VQ & PG27UQ

ASUS ROG at a Berlin based even is introducing three monitors. The Republic of gamers displays will move towards Quantum Dot technology that you already know from Samsung, two new gaming monitors will be HDR10 compatible.

ASUS is the introduce three models, a 1920x1080 based ROG STRIX XG27VQ. This model will get a 144Hz display and a Curved design. A step upwards is the 2K model at 165 Hz tagged ROG SWIFT PG27VQ. This again will be a curved screen however this model is not HDR ready but has quantum dot technology display with GSYNC adapter.

Last but not finally is an Ultra HD screen, the ROG SWIFT PG27UQ. This GSYNC enabled screen once again uses a Quantum Dot panel and is a HDR ready screen rated at 144 Hz, PG27UQ offer 1,000cd/m² peak brightness and thus that 10-bit color depth. This 27-inch IPS display is the next generation in gaming monitor technology to deliver super-fine detail, buttery-smooth gameplay and life-like colors. The screens will have configurable AURA RGB LED functionality. PG27UQ only has one DP port for native 4K. Specifics and specification I will add to this news-item later.

Top Bottom