• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC (4K) HDR monitors are coming in 2017

dr_rus

30+ inch Ultra Wide, HDR, 1440p screen, 144hz, G-Sync, when?

The only HDR panel with higher than 60Hz refresh and GSync so far is 27" IPS one used in Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ and Acer Predator XB272-HDR.

AUO have a couple of ultrawide HDR xVA panels which should go into production in 3rd quarter but it is unknown what refresh rate they'll support:
Panel wise, AUO will offer various HDR display options. The edge backlight options will come in flat 32" (2560 x 1440) and curved 35" (3440 x 1440) sizes and are based on VA panel technology. They will offer 8 backlight areas and a colour space of DCIP3 >=90%. 400 typical and 600 cd/m2 peak brightness is provided and these panels are forecast to go in to production in Q3 2017.
Edge backlight also puts them in a lower price segment with worse than that of 27" one local dimming capabilities.

Alexious

This one is interesting if only as a sign of things to come: EIZO Offers ColorEdge Proiminence 31in DCI-4K Monitor HDR

Clearly not gaming oriented it still manages to get to 1000cd/m2 on an IPS panel.

I still feel that 1000 cd/m2 - or anything above 500 cd/m2 really - may be too much for a desktop monitor though. Can't think of any reason I want to sit in front of a floodlight.

That's peak brightness for whenever HDR content in games and movies has bright highlights. It won't be that bright otherwise while working.

Anyway, I've been eyeing this one myself: 32", 1000 nits, quantum dot, direct-LED, factory calibrated. https://www.asus.com/Monitors/PA32U/

Durante

This one is interesting if only as a sign of things to come: EIZO Offers ColorEdge Proiminence 31in DCI-4K Monitor HDR

Clearly not gaming oriented it still manages to get to 1000cd/m2 on an IPS panel.
This is interesting. How do they plan to achieve 1 million : 1 contrast without local dimming on anything which isn't an OLED?

Anyway, I've been eyeing this one myself: 32", 1000 nits, quantum dot, direct-LED, factory calibrated. https://www.asus.com/Monitors/PA32U/
That would be really cool if it had high refresh rates.

Alexious

This is interesting. How do they plan to achieve 1 million : 1 contrast without local dimming on anything which isn't an OLED?

That would be really cool if it had high refresh rates.

Yeah, I'm thinking about it for consoles though (PS4 Pro and Scorpio), where its drawbacks (higher input lag, no GSYNC/Freesync, 60hz) would matter less or not at all.

I usually play in a room where anything larger than 32" wouldn't be a good fit, and smaller TVs (around 43") don't have great features anyway.

dr_rus

That's peak brightness for whenever HDR content in games and movies has bright highlights. It won't be that bright otherwise while working.

Well, there are a lot of bright games in general. Something like Overwatch would just shine in your face with the whole 1000 cd/m2 all the time. I don't know if that's something I'd be comfortable with as I generally think that my Dell U3014 is too bright on a pure white fill, for example. And it's only 350 cd/m2.

This Asus looks interesting but there's no mention of refresh rate which likely means that it's 60Hz.

I wonder which panel it's based on though. The closest fit I can find is AUO's AHVA panel which should go into production in 4Q but it's 800 cd/m2 peak, not 1000. It also doesn't seem to feature anything quantum.

knitoe

When they release 40+ inch screens, let me know. I can't go back to anything smaller.

I prefer higher PPI > size. With monitors, you sit close and I hate being able to see individual pixels. A 40" 4K = 110 PPI, comparable to 27" 1440p. Can't wait for affordable 8K gaming monitors, 31" = 280 PPI.

dr_rus

Another 4K HDR10 monitor for professional usage: Dell Announces UP2718Q HDR Display, And Two InfinityEdge Displays

up2718q_678x452.png
The Dell UltraSharp UP2718Q is the company's first display to support HDR10, in addition to its UHD 3840x2160 resolution, and it's backed by the UHD Alliance Premium Certification.

...The UP2718Q is stated to hit up to 1000 nits, which is likely helped by full-array backlighting

This display is targeted directly at professionals, and it has a price tag to go along with that, with availability scheduled for May 23 at $1999.99.

I'll wait 2-3 years when there's G-Sync 144hz HDR monitors.
edit: Oh they already exist...I'll wait for them to be cheaper!

Same. Gotta be cheaper and 4k 60fps with ultra settings on single GPU needs to be fairly trivial, like it was when I built my first PC in 2011 with a GTX 570.

Paganmoon

The only HDR panel with higher than 60Hz refresh and GSync so far is 27" IPS one used in Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ and Acer Predator XB272-HDR.

AUO have a couple of ultrawide HDR xVA panels which should go into production in 3rd quarter but it is unknown what refresh rate they'll support:

Edge backlight also puts them in a lower price segment with worse than that of 27" one local dimming capabilities.

Having a hard time finding info on the AUO screens, but ultrawide HDR at 1440p sounds very interesting so far. Not too fussed about local diming, as I've always turned that off for displays that have had them before (annoys me to no end as I find it very noticable when they dim). Unless the tech has improved in the past few years.

ChrisG683

So does anyone here have any experience on how 1080p looks on a 4k monitor? Is it a perfect pixel conversion rate with no blurring?

Making the jump to 1440p to 4k is huge and I love high framerates, but if 1080p @ 144 was good enough IQ it makes it an enticing option

evi

I always assumed I would build a new computer at the end of the year, but with Scorpio coming, I'm not sure I can justify the higher cost. Assuming the Scorpio does 4k60/30 and 1080p60 consistently.

Are there any 4K HDR 60hz Freesync 27"+ monitors announced yet? That would probably pair best with the Xbox. If I go PC I'll probably go 1440p 144hz instead.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Send me a PM when they get lightboost. Till then it's a gimmick.

To my haters no color space issue is enough to override that, might be for your low standards I give a shit about my motion clarity and next to native res you can't crowd this space of mine.

BlizzyAzz

dr_rus

Having a hard time finding info on the AUO screens, but ultrawide HDR at 1440p sounds very interesting so far. Not too fussed about local diming, as I've always turned that off for displays that have had them before (annoys me to no end as I find it very noticable when they dim). Unless the tech has improved in the past few years.
Local dimming is pretty much needed for good HDR on LCD panels as otherwise backlight bleeding will destroy the contrast ratio and panel manufacturers will opt to produce insane amounts of light to compensate for that to hit HDR contrast specs - which is a highly questionable solution for a desktop monitor in the first place.

As for AOU's panels - here's the bit of info on these: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/37.htm#auo_samsung_roadmaps

So does anyone here have any experience on how 1080p looks on a 4k monitor? Is it a perfect pixel conversion rate with no blurring?

Making the jump to 1440p to 4k is huge and I love high framerates, but if 1080p @ 144 was good enough IQ it makes it an enticing option

I'm not aware of any 4K monitor which would display 1080p without interpolation aka blurring. Such feature is in high request though so it's possible that it will be implemented in GPU drivers at some point.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I don't think local dimming means what you think it means based on your description.

Local dimming is discrete backlight zones. Darker areas have their lights dimmed, brighter areas have them turned up. Its not "this scene is dark, slowly turn down brightness on whole scene." Its the only way you'd get any considerable HDR level contrast on an IPS screen.

Durante

Neat! Thanks for the link, that clears these new model announcements up.

If it's as amazing as it sounds we need a high-refresh version of that ASAP.

Its the only way you'd get any considerable HDR level contrast on an IPS screen.
Apparently unless it's a new magic Panasonic IPS ;)

(Which seems, technology wise, a bit like having per-pixel local dimming -- though the dimming is achieved using another liquid crystal film, not by adjusting the light output)

Baleoce

I think a 27" 1440p 144hz HDR Freesync / gsync monitor is my ultimate goal tbh. If I had one of those I'd be content for a very long time. I might even opt for ultra wide before even thinking about 4k. Would double up for gaming and audio / video editing utility as well (the ultra wide bit).

Durante

Sexy. Wish I could get the same exact panel for cheaper w/out the extra eye tracking crap.
I also don't need the eye tracking, but at the prices we are looking at for these screens it's probably just a drop in the bucket in terms of cost.

I don't want a 4K monitor. I don't buy new graphics cards every year.

Like others I would want a 144hz 1440p and probably non IPS

but my Acer 1440p 144hz IPS G-Sync monitor is incredible?

[IPS is the bestest]

can't wait to pick up an HDR monitor eventually though, should make editing photos fun!

nomis

Probably about as much as for the Asus. 2000€/$. This one has eye tracking added, but I doubt Acer would be crazy enough to price it even higher.

Ya sounds like a solid excuse to price identically to Asus while offering a "value-add"

Top Bottom