• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Advice- It's Time

Myths

I wouldn’t buy anything brand new, only used for half the price or less (with the release of superior flagship cards touching down within several months).

MetalRain

Frankly it's always wait for 6 months for next big thing (that you actually get 9-12 months from now).

I'd go something bang for buck higher mid-end now. Ryzen 7 3700(X) and AMD 5700(XT), 16 GB 3200 DDR4 and 1 TB of NVMe. Runs pretty much anything well at 1440p, you can upgrade GPU in year or two if you need.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm terms of pure performance, everything the new consoles an potentially do is doable right now on PC for the games that exist now. It'll just cost a lot of money.

Right, I understand if you get a 2080TI you'll be covered for the duration of the next console cycle. But most people don't have that in their budgets.

Say you wanted to spend your Trumpbux and build a PC for $1,200 today, so you get something like a Ryzen 5 3600x and an RTX 2060, with a ho-hum SSD. Will those specs start aging quickly when you are primarily playing games that are being developed for the Series X and PS5? That's the question.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Say you wanted to spend your Trumpbux and build a PC for $1,200 today, so you get something like a Ryzen 5 3600x and an RTX 2060, with a ho-hum SSD. Will those specs start aging quickly when you are primarily playing games that are being developed for the Series X and PS5? That's the question.
I doubt it'll age that quickly. 3600X + RTX 2060 is a decent combo and should last a while. The XSX will probably be more powerful than the RTX 2060 since they said that it'll be more powerful than the 5700 XT. If there's one thing that's different for this upcoming generation of consoles, it's that the hardware out of the gate is not already old, like it was with Xbox One and PS4. It'll "age" more quickly than in the Xbone/PS4 era, but I'm not sure if it'll be ridiculously fast. It's still a decent investment if one needs to upgrade. According to the OP though, he's not in dire need of a new PC, so everyone is telling him to wait, which I agree with.

In terms of SSDs, ho-hum or not, with current games you can't even really tell the difference between them.

Now that might change once we see games designed with an SSD being the minimum requirement, but it remains to be seen how much of a game changer that will be. I'm optimistic but skeptical until I see some actual real game performance.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I'm going to upgrade. I'm getting a promotion after I graduate and despite all the insanity surrounding the CoVid19 thing I'm looking okay financially. I want to spend anywhere between $2000.00 - $3000.00. I'll use my current case, and I'm not sure but I think I can use my current PSU:

But I'd like to get a big SSD, new MoBo, memory, CPU and GPU.

Can you guys help me conceive, believe and achieve? Back in my early days I was obsessed with video cards but built myself into a bottleneck. I would like to mitigate that. I think my last rig (I built in 2015) did pretty well avoiding bottlenecks but right now I'm uneducated as far as the CPU war goes.

Help me Gaffers. You're my only hope.
Twitter-1200x675-1-1200x675.jpg

If you want to upgrade right now and dump all your cash in it.

2080 ti
9900k Oc to 5ghz
32gb 2x 16gb 3200 ddr4 sticks
Evo 970 pro ssd.

If you wait half a year.
3080ti ( if lucky, could be we still stuck at the 3080 version )
4000 series ryzen or 10k series Intel
evo 980 pro ssd.
3200mhz ddr4 2x 16gb memory.

Want a PC now that can play shit but dont'want to spend much because upgrade in the future.
Buy a good motherboard with pci-e4.0 for 4000 ryzen support
Buy a 1600af for 85 bucks ( probably ~25% slower then top cpu's, only noticable in high fps gaming or rts / city type of games.
Buy a 2070 super. ( 30% below 2080ti performance )
New hardware drops on the market.
Sell the 2070 super and 1600af, and buy 3080(ti) and whatever cpu makes sense then.
Also buy a shitter SSD even sata 3 samsung evo 850 will do for example until 980 pro comes out, as 99% of the PC games do not use more then those SSD's give in games anyway.

I doubt it'll age that quickly. 3600X + RTX 2060 is a decent combo and should last a while. The XSX will probably be more powerful than the RTX 2060 since they said that it'll be more powerful than the 5700 XT. If there's one thing that's different for this upcoming generation of consoles, it's that the hardware out of the gate is not already old, like it was with Xbox One and PS4. It'll "age" more quickly than in the Xbone/PS4 era, but I'm not sure if it'll be ridiculously fast. It's still a decent investment if one needs to upgrade. According to the OP though, he's not in dire need of a new PC, so everyone is telling him to wait, which I agree with.

In terms of SSDs, ho-hum or not, with current games you can't even really tell the difference between them.

Now that might change once we see games designed with an SSD being the minimum requirement, but it remains to be seen how much of a game changer that will be. I'm optimistic but skeptical until I see some actual real game performance.

The reason u can't tell the difference is because all these games are hard capped at load speeds. Just load in a level for example in any game and diagnose your harddive at the same time, it's always locked at 40mb's at max. The speed of a SSd comes from the access time increase and no wait times not because of the actual SSD speed improvement.

For example ac odyssey only uses 40mb's on my 3500mb's ssd. Now imagine even a 500mb's sata 3 SSD being uncapped, it will make 10 seconds load times into a second and it would make 100 times faster SSD the load times into 0.1 second. However load times in PC games haven't been a issue now already for a few years anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom