• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC and PS4 gamer: Any reason to pick up an XB1?

brawly

Or have friends on other systems.

If games like Gears 4 or FH3 are cross-platform play, he can play with and talk to them on PC.

Considering his friends "keep nagging" him I'd wager they're close friends, not just online buddies. So that makes it worth it to me. Easy way to spend more time together.

Gears 4 won't be cross-play and he will miss out on all the other third-party multiplayer games they could play. But yeah, he could just chat with them and while playing them on his own on PC...

But hey, if he has equally good friends on PC/PS4 and doesn't want to spend more time with those nagging friends then ignore me.

K' Dash

With a decent PC I'd actually argue having a PS4, but I can understand for the 3-4 good exclusives.

No reason for you to waste that money, sell your 970 and upgrade your PC to a nice 1070 or 1080.

Arulan

If you have a capable PC, there really isn't many good reasons to own ANY console. Exclusives for the most part are the only reason to even consider one, and they're fewer and farther between than they've even been. If you absolutely need to play these one or several of these exclusives, and it justifies the price of a new platform, then you've already decided.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
To be fair, if you own an XB1, i'd even say getting a PS4 largely matters less if your not into eastern games and Sony's exclusive library. For these machines, all the western third parties are generally shared, so if that's your thing to begin with, you could not go wrong with either ecosystem or PC.

And PC is getting more and more third party eastern ports as well, although not all.

Honestly, if you have a really good PC, you don't really need a PS4 or an Xbox. Most stuff comes to PC and now lots of the console exclusives are also on PC.

You miss out on very little right now on PC.

Nzyme32

None at all.

Of course if I only had a poor performing machine, and I was only interested in the Xbox ecosystem, then grabbing a console is a reasonable option - but if you have even a barely competent system that can run those games and can hand PC typical issues that come and go, it's a no brainer to stick with PC. You keep your perpituity, have access to lots of competing and excellent stores with great content, and can still go for your Xbox ecosystem stuff that is likely to soon have everything in there. Or you can ignore that altogether and pick and choose which service providers to use.

Honestly, if you have a really good PC, you don't really need a PS4 or an Xbox. Most stuff comes to PC and now lots of the console exclusives are also on PC.

You miss out on very little right now on PC.

Pretty much why I have been entirely on PC these days. I only borrowed a PS3 to go through the MGS collection and Last of Us. Now on PS4, all I have an interest in playing is Last Guardian and Last of Us 2 (whenever it happens), I'll borrow a PS4 then, and that seem about it

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I absolutely hated my experience trying out Forza Apex due to UWP. So Xbox One will be where I play my MS exclusives even though I have a top gaming computer.

I own a PC, PS4 and Xbox. The Xbox was a completely superfluous purchase. Thought I would be into Halo, but I wasn't. Got the most enjoyment out of Forza Horizons 2 and Sunset Overdrive. Other than that, no reason to purchase.

I just wish PS4 had EA Access. I still buy EA's games on PS4 though...

Right now? No.

Even the fun part of Halo 5 is on PC.

Yep

N8yNzb8.gif

ecosse_011172

Nope, it definitely looks as if all future XBO exclusives will also be PC titles.
I had one, loved Sunset Overdrive, enjoyed Rare Replay for a bit then when QB PC was announced, sold it.

KaYotiX

Banned
i doubt it, i just built a new pc and i feel like selling my xbox one also. Especially if they are bringing their games to pc as well.

I really only have it atm for forza and sports games. Im assuming Forza and Halo will be coming to PC soon. Just wish EA would make sports games on PC again then id need no console at all.

Kssio_Aug

I would say that, with a good PC + one console (PS4 or XB1), there's barely no reason to buy the other console you don't have (PS4 or XB1).

But, you said in your own post... Gears 4 to play with your friends. Even if the game gets released for W10 I don't think that's gonna be cross play. If you can afford, and you want to play Gears 4 with them, there is your reason. You will also be able to play other exclusives such as Halo 5.

If that's worth it? Only you can tell.

I have a half-decent PC (GTX 570), a PS4 and a XB1. I don't regret the XB1 even a bit, but nowadays, if I didn't have a PS4 already, I wouldn't buy the PS4. I play XB1 way more, besides MS moves with W10. So it depends entirely on what you're particularly looking for and your actual circumstances.

I have all 3 and rarely turn on the xbox one. The only games I'd say are the Halo's and Forza Horizon 2 (or F6 if you prefer that style of racing game). I wouldn't really recommend an xbox one to anyone at this point, PS4 ports of multiplats are better always and the xbox one exclusive library is nowhere near the level of PS4.

Ironically the only thing that makes me keep my xbone is the possibility of playing RDR sometime soon. I bought the game digitally, could play it for a brief 24 hour window when they accidently rolled out BC for it, but then yanked it. Presumably for an E3 announcement of RDR 2 or something. The one last gen game I didn't play, probably won't get a remaster, so BC on xbox one or PSNow streaming would be my only options.

audio_delay

Neo Member
The only reason to grab a xone would be, if you want to resell or trade in disc/retail versions of games, which isn't really possible with PC games these days.

BTW PS4 is always worth it for bloodborne, i mean exclusives...

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
With most MS stuff coming to PC, unless you really like the convieance of a console over a PC I'd stick with PC/PS4

Xamdou

Gears of War series is a system seller despite all the gaf hate going around here lately, I am currently playing overwatch on my x1 until Gears 4.

psyfi

Banned
Halo 5 is one of the best competitive FPS of all time. So if that means anything to you, yes. If I wasn't such a big fan, I'd definitely have a PS4 instead.

Matthew23

As someone who has been primarily a PC gamer for a long time I find the possibility of cross purchase titles on Xbox/PC very appealing. I like to own consoles for couch multiplayer and portability. I tend to buy all 3rd party on PC as it's my preferred way to play. If future Windows Store game purchases also work on Xbox that would be a big plus and more important than the various console exclusives for me.

I would personally have a hard time justifying a second console but looking forward, if MS follows through with the PC/Xbox integration that is where my money will go. One Oculus that will work on both setups is another positive. If I had a PS4 with no plans on getting rid of it I would save the money.

As a PC and PS4 owner myself, I see little reason to have an Xbox One. PC is going to get all the future first party titles it looks like and the backlog of first party games wasn't appealing enough to get me to buy one in the first place.

Scalebound may have been the tipping point for me if I could get an XB1 for like 200 bucks or less, but now I'll just get the inevitable PC version as MS uses Xbox Games as the trojan horse to get people to use Windows App Store.

Cake Boss

Banned
This is the main reason I sold my X1 and look to pick up a PS4 in the future, the PS4 exclusives are more enticing to me now, and the shift that MS is making in offering its exclusives for PC made more sense for me to sell it and wait to play them on PC.

Muzy72

Banned
I have all three consoles this gen and both handhelds, and I'm building a PC, and the Xbox One gets literally no use from me. First time I've ever regret purchasing a console tbh. Even worse now that all the exclusives are coming to PC. All the games I wanted (Ori and the Blind Forest, Quantum Break, D4, Below, Cuphead, Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare, Scalebound) will be on PC. The only thing I'm waiting for at this point is a confirmation of a PC version of Scalebound, then I'm selling it.

mejin

You'd waste money. Do a barrel roll and convince your friends to come to PC. Gears 4 will surely come.

kennyamr

all of the Xbox exclusives will also start releasing on pc in the very near future so if you have a good pc already, there is no reason to buy an Xbox. That's what Microsoft is actually pushing for this time around. Either way if u want a console or PC, you will still be under their umbrella.

My main reasons for having an Xbox One (actually two Xbox Ones) is that I can buy a game digitally once and play it on both boxes at the same time.

This means that when I have game night, we can do 4 vs 4 Halo MCC or Rocket League using both boxes without having to have 2 copies of the game. I also have two boys in the house that are also gamers so having two systems helps there.

PS4 can probably do this(no idea), but it doesn't have Halo MCC.

I also prefer the Xbox controller (especially the elite) over the PS4 controller. While there are some exclusives that I'll enjoy on the PS4 (Uncharted 4 is my GOTY so far), the Xboxes get way more play in my house.

Rizific

I absolutely hated my experience trying out Forza Apex due to UWP. So Xbox One will be where I play my MS exclusives even though I have a top gaming computer.
Curious, what exactly didn't you like about the apex demo that was uwp specific?
This is a good point. Aren't the PC ports bad?
The uwp ports so far have been pretty terrible with forza apex being the exception. Take a look at the apex thread on GAF, it received generally unanimous praise. Forzas future looks bright on pc as far as I'm concerned.

Firestorm

We had some decent Xbox One sales recently and yeah... I couldn't come up with a reason either. If your friends play multiplayer mostly on that then it might be worth it but most of the titles I'm interested in are coming to PC (namely Recore). Honestly I probably could have not bought the PS4 either.

RexNovis

Banned
I've never been able to cultivate any meaningful amount of "friends" playing on Steam/PC. It just seems like a less social platform in my experience. But maybe that's just me.

edit: Oh yea the exception to the above would be MMOs where I feel the PC facilitated a lot of friendships over the years but I own that up to the games themselves and how they are designed to demand parties/guilds.

Friends are important. If your friends are on XB1 then that's where you should be too. the best graphics in the world could never replace the fun that can be had playing games with your friends IMO.

Kysen

Nope, sold mine and decided to upgrade my PC. At the very least wait for the slim model. The current hardware is garbage.

Inuhanyou

lol. Good luck convincing them to drop +$1000.

480 is barely 200$...

I can understand the 'plug and play concept' for consoles still in regards to simplicity, but if your looking into a cost perspective, that was thrown out of the window with AMD's new offering

Pjsprojects

I had PS4,Xbox one and PC.

Sold the PS4 a few months ago due to lack of use,Xbox one only gets used for Forza and Division with mates,but I started playing Division on PC and now can't stand to play it on Xbox one. So the Xbox will go in my lads room and I'll just stick with pc.

With the Xbox app it's easy enough to chat with Xbox mates and I'm betting cross play will end up being a thing.

As for UWP quality some users seem worse of than others,so far I've played Quantum break,Apex & Killer instinct all fine.

brawly

I've never been able to cultivate any meaningful amount of "friends" playing on Steam/PC. It just seems like a less social platform in my experience. But maybe that's just me.

Friends are important. If your friends are on XB1 then that's where you should be too. the best graphics in the world could never replace the fun that can be had playing games with your friends IMO.

tumblr_m2wgq0u7UP1qmusib.gif

480 is barely 200$...

I can understand the 'plug and play concept' for consoles still in regards to simplicity, but if your looking into a cost perspective, that was thrown out of the window with AMD's new offering

Rest of the system, mouse, keyboard, monitor (if they play on a tv), rebuying their games etc. They probably wouldn't do it anyway so we don't really need to go down this road. His friends have other friends on Xbox aswell.

As far as I'm concerned, not only no, but fuck no. Not moving forward, at least. If you've already got a PC then you're ready to play all of the games that will define MS's gaming ecosystem in the future.

If you've got a sibling who likes Xbox, then actually, yes. Cross buy across Xbox and Windows is a fucking sexy proposition. Buy the game on Xbox and you also get a separate copy for PC, why not? but that's the only reason I can think of. (imo, at least. Most of my friends play on PC and if they switched over to PS4 or Xbox One I don't think I'd follow just for MP. I'd rather play with randoms than play with control and framerate constraints.)

audio_delay

Neo Member
You are actually right. There are a lot of reasons for that, for example you have steam, origin, uplay, battlenet, plus MMO clients, which can fragment your friends. But what to do is to get people/friends onto discord, teamspeak, (or even) skype aso.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Hell naw if you got a decent/OK PC. PS4 + PC is the way to go from now on.
Maybe throw in a NX later if Nintendo still does it for you.

Inuhanyou

Hell naw if you got a decent/OK PC. PS4 + PC is the way to go from now on.
Maybe throw in a NX later if Nintendo still does it for you.

That depends on what NX is................................................

But hopefully Nintendo knocks it out of the park exclusives wise, i would not mind trying again for nintendo as a second box if they actually give us a traditional control scheme.

Top Bottom