• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC and PS4 gamer: Any reason to pick up an XB1?

I had picked an XB1 earlier in its lifespan for titles like Sunset Overdrive and Horizon 2. It was worth it for those titles but I sold it later because there wasn't much more.

Honestly, nothing has really captivated me but an MP title (Gears or Halo) can be worth a console alone if you have dedicated group of friends.

Otherwise, I'd just hold off.

Servbot24

Banned
I don't see the reason for it. With all the games you likely have on PS4 and PC do you really need more?

Although tbh I don't think even MS cares if you get one.

The consensus in this thread is largely accurate, but to be fair the system can be had for super cheap right now. I've actually been considering picking one up again just for Halo and Gears (I know forge is coming to PC, but that's not nearly as straightforward as just hopping into matchmaking and playing a few rounds).

Right now there's several on my local craigslist for less than $200, and there's been a bunch of decent bundles for $250-ish recently.

Only you can answer that question. If the exclusives are good enough reason for you then yes it is. If money is not an issue then why not?

keenerz

Yeah pretty much if you're looking to play old exclusive perhaps but with the new initiative to unite the platforms, I'm pretty sure having a good PC will do you just fine.

Kilau

Gold Member
Xbox on W10 is basically how I'm doing it. With more cross platform play in addition to the upcoming PC versions I don't think you'll miss much. At least I hope I won't.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
wait for scorpio

Right now? Before E3 and the rumoured Scorpio?
Nope. No way.

What will scorpio change about the situation? If you don't want a PS or an Xbox or a Nintendo console beforehand and have a PC you can upgrade, more power isn't going to generally change the situation. Maybe if Scorpio got exclusive games, but that would be a shitty thing to do.

Neo isn't going to get people uninterested in what Sony is offering right now to pick it up by that same token, especially locking the ecosystem to PS4 games, even though that is the right move in respect to people already invested in their ecosystem.

farisr

If you actively game on PC and don't care about console benefits or having an extra system to play your games on another TV or something, then there's no reason to own an Xbox One as all MS exclusives are expected to release on PC from now on.

Been thinking of getting one for the summer and selling it come fall. Really only interested in playing Sunset Overdrive. All my friends are on PS4 and PC so I can't just borrow a console.

x3sphere

Bought mine last year (also have a PS4 and a gaming PC) and it never got much use. Ended up selling it a few weeks ago. I don't recommend it, unless you are primarily getting for multiplayer with friends.

Matty8787

I own all 3 too and find time to play each.

I tend to play exclusives on ps4, sports titles on X1 and main/other games on PC.

Works well for me.

Gaogaogao

What will scorpio change about the situation? If you don't want a PS or an Xbox or a Nintendo console beforehand and have a PC you can upgrade, more power isn't going to generally change the situation. Maybe if Scorpio got exclusive games, but that would be a shitty thing to do.

Neo isn't going to get people uninterested in what Sony is offering right now to pick it up by that same token, especially locking the ecosystem to PS4 games, even though that is the right move in respect to people already invested in their ecosystem.

the price of the old xbox one

Fitts

I think a console can always be worth owning if there's an exclusive you want badly enough. For example, I would've gladly purchased a PS4 for Bloodborne alone. I think a purchase is also justified if you intend to play online multiplayer with friends and a specific console is the only way to do so.

TM94

If that's where your friends are playing then sure get one.

Maybe even trade in the PS4 in that case.

TheSloth

If the whole Scorpio thing is real I might be getting that, since I already have a regular PS4 and don't want another one just for VR/4k/whatever. Other than that though, not really, unless the few exclusives there are are titles you reeeaaally want.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
You have a gaming PC and PS4, so no. I don't even have a PS4 and can't find a reason to get another Xbox One.

EGM1966

As a fellow PC and PS4 gamer id say nope. The number of titles only available to you via XB1 is real small and it looks like going forward you'll get everything on PC.

I'd wait for E3 to see how their PC focus plays out and what they reveal for Xbox future.

I'd imagine if you really wanted Halo/Forza you'd already have one sowing the current trend of titles like QB hitting PC and Forza heading to PC and aledgedly Halo too I'd sink the money into your PC and have superior version f same games there.

Unless E3 proves otherwise I believe MS is making a huge shift away from console exclusives for Xbox to drive people to the console and instead targeting an ecosystem play where PC and Xbox are interchangeable. Hence given you have PC already there'd be no need for Xbox as you've already got what you need to access the ecosystem. Probably. Unless E3 indicates otherwise. Which I doubt it will.

Last gen I had PC, 360 and PS3 and that was fine. This gen having a PC (with W10) feels like VR already got my Xbox.

EGM1966

If that's where your friends are playing then sure get one.

Maybe even trade in the PS4 in that case.
Lol. How d you get from the OP to that advice? He's established on PC/PS4 ecosystem and wondering if Xbox has enough exclusives to be worth it and your advice is to sell his PS4 and start from scratch on XB1?

Ok...

Bgamer90

Banned
No reason to get an Xbox One if you can play the games in its library on other platforms that you own and are not a console-only gamer.

Genio88

Depends, if Gears 4, Halo 6 and all the other exclusives will be announced for PC too then no, i've got a Xbox One and gaming PC, though i won't sell my Xbox One cause still Final Fantasy XV is console exclusive and Gears and other games are not confirmed on PC yet, i guess we'll get answers about that in a week at E3 Microsoft conference, we'll see if Windows 10 and Xbox will converge for real

Didn't MS say every xbox exclusive from now on will also come to PC? including Halo?

So don't see why you'd need a xbox one if you're gaming on ps4 and pc.

Majmun

I'm definitely interested in Scalebound. I'm sure the X1 will be very cheap once the game gets released.

entremet

I'm definitely interested in Scalebound. I'm sure the X1 will be very cheap once the game gets released.

Probably better performance due to Scorpio.

I'll get a Scorpio. I prefer the Xbox ecosystem over Sony's. Never cared for Sony's backward aspects--download list, no name changes for PSN ID, etc.

PS4 has some great games, but I got to accustomed to Xbox last generation.

Freeman76

I thought exactly what you are thinking. I bought one. I never play it. Always PS4, its just better. I enjoyed Ori and a bit of nostalgia from MCC was fun at first, but there is nothing that makes me want to turn that console on. Its like the ugly duckling of my living room.

anothertech

Long as your running Win10 you're probably all good.

I will say, Xbox playback of digital media seems to be slightly superior in some ways to my PC or ps4 though. I use Plex, and it's definitely more streamlined audio wise than my ps4 version.

But other than that, most everything will likely be announced for PC by end of year so probably not.

Zackat

Only reason I want one is to play Scalebound, but if that is a PC title then I will likely never get one. Gears 4 is really tempting, but it wouldn't make me plunge in for the XB1 unless they put out a really cheap slim version.

xviper

there is absolutely ZERO reason to buy xbox one if you have a gaming PC unless you want to play Halo MCC and 5, both Scalebound and Gears 4 are coming to PC

Top Bottom