• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC and PS4 gamer: Any reason to pick up an XB1?

I've been playing on PC (W10, 3570k, 970, 16GB RAM) and PS4, but lately my friends have been urging/nagging me to grab an Xbox One specifically for Gears 4. My question is, since I already own a PS4 for multi-platform titles and since MS has started releasing Xbox games on PC, is there any reason for someone in my position to even consider getting an Xbox One?

I've owned one in the past and have already played Sunset Overdrive (which was great!), but with Forza, Killer Instinct, Quantum Break all on PC, I have a hard time finding reason to grab an Xbox One (Rare Replay? Halo 5?).

What are the chances that Halo 5 or Gears 4 might make it to PC? Are there any other titles that are exclusive to Xbox One that are NOT on PC?

Down the line for the collection, sure.

mdsfx

Geeez... thought i might get a response or two before this thread would sink into oblivion. Thanks for the responses. As only a few said, if it's playing games with my friends that I'm after, it might be worth it. And it is.

Grabbed a used XB1 only for Gears with my buddies, but I did pick up Rare Replay too :)

Lynn616

I've been playing on PC (W10, 3570k, 970, 16GB RAM) and PS4, but lately my friends have been urging/nagging me to grab an Xbox One specifically for Gears 4. My question is, since I already own a PS4 for multi-platform titles and since MS has started releasing Xbox games on PC, is there any reason for someone in my position to even consider getting an Xbox One?

I've owned one in the past and have already played Sunset Overdrive (which was great!), but with Forza, Killer Instinct, Quantum Break all on PC, I have a hard time finding reason to grab an Xbox One (Rare Replay? Halo 5?).

What are the chances that Halo 5 or Gears 4 might make it to PC? Are there any other titles that are exclusive to Xbox One that are NOT on PC?

Why do you play multi-platform games on your PS4 and not PC?

mdsfx

Why do you play multi-platform games on your PS4 and not PC?

The hassle that sometimes come with PC games. It doesn't always happen, but waiting on patches, tweaking settings, and occasionally overcoming technical issues became a chore for me. I would rather pick-up and play at the expense of the better graphics and settings. Also, selling games once i'm done is a big plus for me personally.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
nope

I'm super happy with Playstation+Nintendo+Steam

PC and PS4 gamer here as well. I was offered a Halo edition Xb1 from a friend for $90 not too long ago. I passed it on to my cousin who didn't have anything current gen. It would have been wasted on me.

Illucio

Banned
It's been hinted at that most major Xbox exclusive games will be getting pc ports. So it's probably worth just to wait.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future

Halo 5 won't be making it to PC. Not sure about Gears 4 either. Halo Wars 2 will be on PC as well along with Halo 6 (all but confirmed).
I'm an owner, but I can't think of much reason to buy one if you already have the console/pc combo.

Nintenleo

I have Wii U and PS4 as my main consoles, but I play Halo 5 everyday. If you find a good deal, I would pick up one. I bought my 1TB with Sunset Overdrive (amazing game) for 299€ in Italy two months ago.

Lynn616

The hassle that sometimes come with PC games. It doesn't always happen, but waiting on patches, tweaking settings, and occasionally overcoming technical issues became a chore for me. I would rather pick-up and play at the expense of the better graphics and settings. Also, selling games once i'm done is a big plus for me personally.

Then why play Xbox games on PC instead of on the console? It has the same advantage you just described.

mdsfx

Then why play Xbox games on PC instead of on the console? It has the same advantage you just described.

That's correct. Quantum Break was a mess and I didn't even bother. Killer Instinct, thankfully, runs very well. I just didn't want to plunk down the cash for an XB1 to play the few exclusives I was interested in.

120v

going pc/ps4, i rarely use my ps4 as it is. some great games but its mainly a movie player

adding an xbone to the mix would be an awful value for me

Brannon

I'm going to sell mine locally, just gotta get around to posting the pics online today. With every game I want to play on it coming to PC, there is literally no point in hanging on to it anymore.

I'll only miss the controller as I used it for PC, but I'll deal.

Gamerman1

If MS shows Crackdown at E3 and it looks really good I would add that as another reason for a Xbox One. Actually I will base my decision to get one on how it looks.

Thoraxes

No reason to get an Xbox One if you can play the games in its library on other platforms that you own and are not a console-only gamer.

I wish I knew a year and a half ago that they'd make this turn. I own all the next-gen consoles and a good PC, but I would've just saved myself the money on just waiting to play the exclusives they've had.

This is exactly my case. PC isn't the huge hassle that some people make it out to be like back in the day, but there are random lil issues I just don't want to bother with sometimes that leads me to favor my PS4 over my gaming PC. I'm not saying PC is a big pain in the ass, but I've had a few situations occur just recently that remind me why I prefer my console. As someone who is technically savvy, I can certainly understand why many still stay away from the format.

Also, feel free to add me if you need another pal on live man. Same name as my avatar.

Definitely don't buy one right now with Scorpio rumors abound.

If it weren't for that, I'd say since you have a PC only worry about console exclusive games, which as others have suggested could see release on PC as well as Xbox going forward. Xbox Live's Games with Gold offerings have been on par with Sony's, and the Xbox UI is basically on par since the last major update. Also, there's the fact of 360 backwards compatibility - a definite edge over Sony's meager PS2 offerings.

At this point, wait and see what Microsoft's software strategy is. If they release Halo 6 and Forza 7 on PC, you have absolutely no reason to buy an Xbox assuming your PC can handle the games.

RAWRferal

As a day one edition owner I can safely say...

NO!

Buy a new GPU or something. I myself just picked up a nice new gaming notebook and I'm gonna get a Neo and I think that will be it for this gen.

There are literally not enough exclusive games that aren't available on PC to warrant the purchase IMO.

ps3ud0

Geeez... thought i might get a response or two before this thread would sink into oblivion. Thanks for the responses. As only a few said, if it's playing games with my friends that I'm after, it might be worth it. And it is.

Grabbed a used XB1 only for Gears with my buddies, but I did pick up Rare Replay too :)
I would have waited a couple of weeks as the used XO price is gonna take a hit when the XO slim gets announced at E3...

Regards your original query - I wouldnt have bothered as PC is expected to cover pretty all the XO games, maybe not all that have been released but it seems everything else going forward.

ps3ud0 8)

I don't see a point in owning an Xbox One if you have a good gaming PC.

I'll be keeping my Xbox because I don't see me building a gaming rig anytime soon.

Indelible

Since most Xbox exclusives are now coming to PC I really don't see a reason to own one, I honestly haven't turned mine on in months.

bebop242

I'm building a computer because it felt like smarter money than buying an Xbox One (Dragons Dogma PC release, as well)

Alienfan

Honestly, given that you want to use it to game with your friends (assuming they don't have a PC), then I would absolutely say yes. People seem to not be reading that part of your post.
The price is also probably going to drop this E3, so maybe wait until then

Kolgar

It's up to you, and how you use the box.

My X1 is an integral part of my home theatre system. I like being able to switch from TV to home screen to Netflix or Blu-ray movie, and even watch TV and play games at the same time.

Also, "controller and friends." Two of my best buddies bought Xbox Ones last Christmas and so it's nice to send and receive messages from them and see what they're up to so I can join up in a game of Battlefield or Star Wars.

Totally worth it for that.

I got over the difference in p's and X1 continues to be my most-used system. And I have them all.

BriGuy

I have every current system and as of two months ago a pretty decent gaming rig too. Personally, there's zero reason for me to still have my Xbone, and if not for Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank, the PS4 would probably be in the same position.

Moff

this is actually the first generation ever where I don't own all the major platforms.
there is 0 reason for me to buy an xbone, and honestly I don't use the wiiU and the Ps4 that often either

Fat4all

Banned
I would of said yes at the start of the generation, but at this point it's clear that their big titles are coming to PC as well, so as long as you have a good rig with windows 10 you're pretty much set.

We'll have to see what the Scorpio brings to the table, though.

jdstorm

Banned
Nope Scorpio is likely to have full backwards comparability and be more powerful then your PC. So just jump back in then.

If you want to drop a few hundred bucks on a near dead system Buy a Wii U. Since its games won't be ported

klee123

I honest don't see the point especially MS is pretty much in the process of releasing their games in dual format X1/PC.

TaterTots

Banned
I'm still waiting for a reason to purchase a PS4. It's completely subjective, but I don't care for BB or UC. Both consoles need home runs in my opinion, but this is the response you were looking for, right OP?

I had them all and sold my Xbox One.

Forza is coming to PC, I haven't enjoyed Halo since 343 and if there is another Dead Rising it will probably come to PC like the others.

Gears 4 looks great, but I'm not buying a console just to play it. They would need to pump out tons of exclusives to get me to buy it again.

ghibli99

It's interesting when I really think about it. While I own an XB1 and played it quite a bit early on, it's basically sat around collecting dust while I play on my PC and other consoles (including my Wii U). It's certainly no 360 or even the OG Xbox in terms of variety and exclusives, sadly.

viveks86

Can't see any reason unless you want to play all the older exclusives. I don't think any of them were worth buying a new console for. Some solid games, but no masterpieces imo.

This is assuming we get all the new exclusives on PC and they don't perform like garbage.

Sold mine a little over a week ago for $280. Lucky considered in the just dropped the price again right after I sold it.

Barely touched it. Probably 5 times in the last year.

Nope Scorpio is likely to have full backwards comparability and be more powerful then your PC. So just jump back in then.

If you want to drop a few hundred bucks on a near dead system Buy a Wii U. Since its games won't be ported

Makes no sense. He could probably easily upgrade his PC to be more powerful than Scorpio for less than the price of that console.

TSM

I own a PC and a Wii U. I haven't been able to justify either of the other consoles. There's just not enough exclusives for me to feel like I'm missing much of anything.

Top Bottom