• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC and PS4 gamer: Any reason to pick up an XB1?

-hadouken

As a PS4 owner, my X1 has seen very little use this gen. PS4 multiplats are almost always better, online communities are bigger, and I prefer to run games like Halo Reach natively on the 360 (for the sake of performance.)

However, if you feel the need, it'll be a buyer's market after the E3 press conference. I'm guessing holiday discounts on old boxes (and maybe Slims) will be pretty generous too.

Scorpio multiplats will need to have a significant boost over Neo for me to consider future Xbox hardware. Better performance for 360 backwards compatibility would greatly boost my interest.

No reason if you don't like Gears, Halo, or Forza, although those games will probably come to PC in some shape or form. I too am a PC/PS4 gamer but I'm about to sell my PS4 and all my games.

Kyry

Im dealing with the same question, and it seems to be eating me up just because ive always bought all the consoles. But i just dont see the games to justify this one

Rokal

I own all 4 current gen systems: PS4, XB1, Wii U, and a decent gaming PC. XB1 is definitely not worth buying if you already have a PS4 and a PC. All it has is worse-performing 3rd party games, a tiny number of dude-bro shooter exclusives, and an infuriatingly-shitty OS/UI. And even the exclusives are coming to PC, and will perform better there when not constrained by the disaster of a system that is the XB1.

The only title worth buying on the system, IMO, is Rare Replay. It's a great presentation and an amazing package of games, but unless you're a Rare superfan it's not worth buying the system for.

Microsoft has not recently signaled that it is confident in or investing more in XB1, in terms of internal projects or even attention. Their half-assed plan to take over the living room with XB1/Kinect 2.0 flopped, and now they are all about an equally half-assed plan to get Windows 10 and Win 10 games/app on every device. This is not a company you want to invest in for a dedicated device for games.

Buy a new GPU or just some additional games instead.

My suggestion is to stick with PC and PS4. I bought the Xbone on a whim and the only time it's used is when it's being updated. I can't tell you how to spend your money but if I were you I rather use the money for more games or upgrade your PC even.

Halabane

First never ever buy a console before e3.

Second after e3 think about what you saw and try your best to be patient and get what you think will be best for you. If you knee jerk this and just get "something" right away you probably will regret it in a few months.

You really need to look at what amd just put out for a graphics board and what cheap gaming pc options will be out there by the summer. A console solution may not be the best solution.

rokkerkory

Cant believe so many naysayers here. There are games on there thats no avail anywhere else. Those games are reason enough to get an xbox but id wait for scorpio tho.

Arklite

If MSoft delivers on their apparent goal of full PC support or Xbox software as a service, then no. It'd be a completely redundant machine for anyone with a gaming rig.

There are two main reasons to get Xbox One (given that you have decent rig and PS4).
If you want to play your old Xbox 360 games. Or play with your buddies who are on Xbox ecosystem.

jdstorm

Banned
Makes no sense. He could probably easily upgrade his PC to be more powerful than Scorpio for less than the price of that console.

The Assumption was that there would be console exclusive games. I'm not how upgrading to a 1070 over Scorpio helps if games are locked to the console platform.

Plus with Scorpio you won't have to worry about driver support and your games will be better optimised. A 970 is going to be a capable card for a few more years. If you don't have a screen resolution higher then 1080p or a VR device there isn't much point upgrading

Bioshocker

If you own both a PC and a PS4 and you're not a die hard Halo fan or love everything Remedy does (or just want to play anything with a Rare logo on it), maybe Xbox One is not for you.

I bought to play all of the above, but also Rise of the Tomb Raider (first on Xbox One), Sunset Overdrive and some Forza Motorsport. And I'm using my Xbox One as a media center at home.

mulac

Bought an XB1 last year for rise of the tomb raider and to play through master chief collection.

Since I beat them haven't switched it on once.

My PS4 and PC (980ti) get all the love and I will likely grab a Neo, NX and upgrade to a 1080 so covered.

So I am selling my XB1 (white version) this week.

The only thing I'm gutted is my Xbox Live account which is paid up till 16th Dec this year :(

Keep or get rid of?

Bl@de

No reason. Microsoft is going all in on PC gaming.

With UWP and next to no features compared to steam + terrible port quality? I don't know. Right now it's better to just play the game on an Xbox One and save all the trouble (imo). I would agree if they bring the games to Steam.

wapplew

With UWP and next to no features compared to steam + terrible port quality? I don't know. Right now it's better to just play the game on an Xbox One and save all the trouble (imo). I would agree if they bring the games to Steam.

Wait for /Build//
But really, with unification of PC and Xbox, the Windows 10 ecosystem install base already bigger than steam and PS4 combine. It's only the mater of time until they become number one gaming ecosystem outside maybe mobile.

Fredrik

I own a PC and a Wii U. I haven't been able to justify either of the other consoles. There's just not enough exclusives for me to feel like I'm missing much of anything.
As much as I love Uncharted 4 I have to agree on this, right now there are not nearly enough console exclusives to justify a console purchase if you already have a nice gaming PC. NX might be different enough but PS4 and XB1 are basically just lowend PCs at this point. And after getting a Steam Link I can get comfy couch gaming through my PC too which used to be a big reason why I played on consoles.

Wait for /Build//
But really, with unification of PC and Xbox, the Windows 10 ecosystem install base already bigger than steam and PS4 combine. It's only the mater of time until they become number one gaming ecosystem outside maybe mobile.

It will be a long time if ever before Windows Store even competes with Steam. Don't see it happening unless they SEVERELY undercut Steam(unlikely) in pricing and get rid of the restrictions on their apps. Being a Windows user(which is basically forced on you if you own a PC) doesn't mean you have any real interest in their ecosystem even if you technically a part of it. Microsoft handed PC gaming to Valve and they are not getting it back.

As much as I love Uncharted 4 I have to agree on this, right now there are not nearly enough console exclusives to justify a console purchase if you already have a nice gaming PC. NX might be different enough but PS4 and XB1 are basically just lowend PCs at this point. And after getting a Steam Link I can get comfy couch gaming through my PC too which used to be a big reason why I played on consoles.

Considering Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 are my two favorite games this generation and Destiny is my most played game I have to disagree. I guess it depends on how you much value you need though.

T-0800

If their first party games come to PC in the future how will they justify charging for online MP on console? Surely they aren't silly enough to try and charge PC players.

No not really.Well you have Halo which is currently exclusive ..how long that lasts we don't know.Other than that there's really no other reason,and that's coming from someone with PC,Ps4 and Xbox one.

Wait for e3. Other than uwp releases there are rumors of them enabling all games to run on windows 10, so at that point it won't even matter whether your friends are on console or PC.

But even if they announce that it will probably only be released along side Redstone 2 update, due to spring 2017.

So you can either buy a cheap xbone to keep you going until that (just make sure to buy all your games digitally), or you can wait for spring and decide whether it's more worth to play on pc, or if Scorpio offers a great performance / price ratio get that as well.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
the only reason i bought an XB1 was to play Halo, Forza, and Sunset Overdrive. I quite enjoyed Halo 1-5 but really don't have any desire to replay them. Maybe before Halo 6 but that isn't gonna be for a while. Forza Horizon 2 was enjoyable but it wore off and got repetitive/boring. Motorsport 6 and Sunset Overdrive were fun but wasn't worth keeping the XB1 just for those 2 games. I decided I'd rather sell it and buy some other games I was wanting to play.

Right now I'm happy with my PC + PS4. I don't think I'll be buying another Xbox until Halo 6 comes out. That's if they don't release it on PC.

Derekor

I have a pretty beastly PC as well as an XB1 and a Wii U.

Honestly, my Xbox gets the most use for a few reasons:

1. Playing with wife & friends. Online & Local Co-op
2. Huge TV & comfortable couch
3. I truly believe the XB1 controller is the best I've ever used
4. I like the exclusives

For these reasons, I'm actually thinking of leaning away from PC gaming and moving towards Xbox in full. Might be an unpopular opinion but that's my situation.

Alexm92

Pretty pointless really, especially with a lot of the big exclusives coming to PC. But having said that if you want to play with your Xbone friends it might be worth it for you.

What features does uwp lacks compared to steam? Other than missing (which is biggie I know) what else does currently a steam version of a game offers that can't be done on uwp games?
The hassle that sometimes come with PC games. It doesn't always happen, but waiting on patches, tweaking settings, and occasionally overcoming technical issues became a chore for me. I would rather pick-up and play at the expense of the better graphics and settings. Also, selling games once i'm done is a big plus for me personally.
Then play on xbone?

Also remember that Xbox/Windows integration is a two way road. Xbox ia getting mouse/keyboard support, and I'm sure some pc only games are coming as well due the desktop converter. I mean, Phil wouldn't show Age of Empires 2 HD converted to the uwp platform, and then say the game can be deployed to xbone for nothing, right?
Yeah. If a mod needs to verify me for it, they can. But it's true.
OMGOMGOMGOMG

Please, can you also say anything about Sunset Overdrive 2? A simple nod or any shimmer of hope will suffice.
What will scorpio change about the situation? If you don't want a PS or an Xbox or a Nintendo console beforehand and have a PC you can upgrade, more power isn't going to generally change the situation. Maybe if Scorpio got exclusive games, but that would be a shitty thing to do.

Neo isn't going to get people uninterested in what Sony is offering right now to pick it up by that same token, especially locking the ecosystem to PS4 games, even though that is the right move in respect to people already invested in their ecosystem.
Scorpio changes that it will offer more performance for a lower price than you could get on Pc. Going forward I'm pretty sure it's how Ms is going to position the xbox brand.

"The platform is everywhere, but if you like it you can buy a very budget xbox slim to have access to these games, and if you care about performance we have the best bang for your buck with Scorpio. Otherwise, if you want to build your custom setup and achieve maximum performance you are good too" is imo a great message for the platform.

I wasn't especially interested in XB1 before I got a gaming PC. And now, and especially with the W10/xbox ecosystem, there's no reason for me to get one. The scorpio piqued my curiosity because hey, it's new tech after-all, but practically there's just no need. I'm going to bump up my ram from 8 to 16gb and replace my loyal but quickly aging 750TI with a 1070. I would say I don't *need* a playstation console either but I can't be without my Uncharted fix, and Until Dawn/Bloodborne/Last of US remastered and a few other exclusives are bonuses. But XB1? No place in my entertainment set-up. Gears 4 is pretty much the only thing I need from the XBox library.

New002

If I had a PS4 and a gaming PC I'd probably own an Xbox One as well, but that's because all my buddies and I play Halo 5, and quite regularly.

Unless you find yourself in a similar situation where a core group of buddies are on Xbox One...I wouldn't recommend picking one up, especially with MS releasing games for Windows 10 as well.

cilonen

No reason whatsoever. MS are open to sharing player bases between PC and Xbone so why would you buy one?

Put the money into a 1080 or R480.

It was one of my biggest purchasing regrets of recent memory. It just doesn't get used at all and is sitting in its box waiting to be sold.

Bgamer90

Banned
I own a PC and a Wii U. I haven't been able to justify either of the other consoles. There's just not enough exclusives for me to feel like I'm missing much of anything.

Yeah, I have to agree that it seems like the only console that's really worth getting if you are a heavy PC gamer is Nintendo's for "most bang out of your buck" when it comes to game variety.

PS4 has exclusives that will never come to PC but you have to be really interested in them to want to pay $299+ when you already have two other gaming platforms that pretty much give you maximum game variety (Nintendo + PC).

cyber_ninja

I'm in a similar situation as OP because I'm also thinking about getting X1 to play few titles, but not sure if its worth it. I used to have on OG Xbox and 360 but they never clicked with me and I played only several games on them (PGR and Lost Odyssey were bloody amazing though).
The main reason I want to get an Xbone is to play Forza (MS and Horizon) games because Sony shut down Evolution Studios and GTS looks very underwhelming to me at this point. I don't have a gaming PC and prefer console gaming in general.On another hand I don't want to buy a system and then sell it because it did not click with me. On top of that I don't have much time to play and my backlog grows all the time.

Help me out GAF!!!

Even crappy UWP games are better than xbox 720-900p versions plus you save 300$ on not buying console and another 40-50$ each year since you don't have to pay for online gaming.
At this point only reason to use xbox is ability to sell games after you finished them.

gdt

I really got to say no.

I bought an X1 and all I got out of it was he MCC collection, Gears games, and Sunset Overdrive. The rest of the stuff is on PC, where I have a beast pc. Bummer.

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm in a similar situation as OP because I'm also thinking about getting X1 to play few titles, but not sure if its worth it. I used to have on OG Xbox and 360 but they never clicked with me and I played only several games on them (PGR and Lost Odyssey were bloody amazing though).
The main reason I want to get an Xbone is to play Forza (MS and Horizon) games because Sony shut down Evolution Studios and GTS looks very underwhelming to me at this point. I don't have a gaming PC and prefer console gaming in general.On another hand I don't want to buy a system and then sell it because it did not click with me. On top of that I don't have much time to play and my backlog grows all the time.

Help me out GAF!!!

Depends on how much of a racing game fan you are. I'm a huge racing game fan and the PS4 has been the most disappointing PlayStation console when it comes to that gaming genre by far.

I would say to wait for E3 since I could see prices for the original Xbox One dropping to make room for the new (slim) model; $250 or so for a box to play the great Forza titles isn't bad at all if you are really into racing games.

I've been wonderng the same thing. I got the Halo5 special edition Xbox and a few games but i rarely used it..up until the last few months. A friend was playing Destiny and I couldnt pass up on playing Destiny with a dope woman. But besides that? Meh...Overwatch cause a friend got it for me.

Top Bottom