• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC and PS4 gamer: Any reason to pick up an XB1?

Freeman

Banned
If someone was holding a gun at my head in an attempt to make me buy one, I would consider it.

what I meant is, there are scenarios where getting a Xbox One is a wise choice.

ps3ud0

I'm in a similar situation as OP because I'm also thinking about getting X1 to play few titles, but not sure if its worth it. I used to have on OG Xbox and 360 but they never clicked with me and I played only several games on them (PGR and Lost Odyssey were bloody amazing though).
The main reason I want to get an Xbone is to play Forza (MS and Horizon) games because Sony shut down Evolution Studios and GTS looks very underwhelming to me at this point. I don't have a gaming PC and prefer console gaming in general.On another hand I don't want to buy a system and then sell it because it did not click with me. On top of that I don't have much time to play and my backlog grows all the time.

Help me out GAF!!!
You sound in a similar situation as me, Ive always liked the Forza games so always considered an XO because of them but it always seemed just not enough to make the purchase - especially with a massive backlog.

Every time I think about it I consider that I could use that money to make a gaming PC instead (though obviously for multiples more money). Right now with DX12/Vulkan and PCVR is seems to be a good time to jump back in.

So I get this far and then kinda forget about the idea - for me the straw that broke that hump was the expectation I can get Forza on PC now and it seems by a distance the best attempt at a UWP game.

ps3ud0 8)

specdot

It will be a long time if ever before Windows Store even competes with Steam. Don't see it happening unless they SEVERELY undercut Steam(unlikely) in pricing and get rid of the restrictions on their apps. Being a Windows user(which is basically forced on you if you own a PC) doesn't mean you have any real interest in their ecosystem even if you technically a part of it. Microsoft handed PC gaming to Valve and they are not getting it back.

Considering Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 are my two favorite games this generation and Destiny is my most played game I have to disagree. I guess it depends on how you much value you need though.
THIS right here so much. While I do enjoy a lot of games on my PS4 (looking forward to Odin's Sphere Lefthanderorsomething), it has essentially become a Destiny box that plays other games...sometimes. lol.

dmix90

Sunset Overdrive on PC, huh? Thread delivered if true :D
This game gonna be glorious at 60 fps + resolution higher than 900p and without crushed blacks( not sure if they patched it )

No point in X1 if you have a PC. Just need a Gears 4 PC confirmation. Come on MS......it is UE4, no excuses if there ever were any.

Fredrik

Considering Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 are my two favorite games this generation and Destiny is my most played game I have to disagree. I guess it depends on how you much value you need though.
And Uncharted 4 will most likely be my GOTY, but the exclusives that are system sellers are too few imo, the 2-3 must have games will be quite expensive if the rest of the games are played on PC. It was a whole other situation a few gens ago when barely any console game came to PC. But almost all games comes to PC now and are usually better there too. It's a bad evolution of console gaming but fantastic for PC gaming. There are still a few games that are better on console though, TR2013, DOA5LR for example.

What features does uwp lacks compared to steam? Other than missing (which is biggie I know) what else does currently a steam version of a game offers that can't be done on uwp games?

Then play on xbone?

Also remember that Xbox/Windows integration is a two way road. Xbox ia getting mouse/keyboard support, and I'm sure some pc only games are coming as well due the desktop converter. I mean, Phil wouldn't show Age of Empires 2 HD converted to the uwp platform, and then say the game can be deployed to xbone for nothing, right?

OMGOMGOMGOMG

Please, can you also say anything about Sunset Overdrive 2? A simple nod or any shimmer of hope will suffice.

Scorpio changes that it will offer more performance for a lower price than you could get on Pc. Going forward I'm pretty sure it's how Ms is going to position the xbox brand.

"The platform is everywhere, but if you like it you can buy a very budget xbox slim to have access to these games, and if you care about performance we have the best bang for your buck with Scorpio. Otherwise, if you want to build your custom setup and achieve maximum performance you are good too" is imo a great message for the platform.

I have heard absolutely nothing about another Sunset Overdrive, sorry.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
As a person that was in the same situation, and ended up getting an XB1, I would say it's not worth it. I knew I would only be playing the odd exclusive on it, but even still I'm underwhelmed with it. If it wasn't for Gears 4 then I probably would have sold it by now.

If possible I suggest you borrow one and get thru all of the exclusives you are interested in, IMO the only must-play exclusive is Sunset Overdrive, so prioritise playing that.

It would be a mistake for any PC owner to get an Xbox One right now. Virtually all titles will be coming to PC and unless you want to play those games in sub-HD and low framerates, I would steer well clear.

Considering the overlap between the PC and XB1 has gotten larger and larger since launch, I don't think it's worth getting the console. PC allows you to play Microsoft's games on top of playing games from Steam and doing non-gaming tasks.

From a personal standpoint, I find the XB1's library to be too homogeneous as I like to play JRPGs and Japanese games of other genres. PS4 and PC adequately fulfill my needs.

Bgamer90

Banned
It would be a mistake for any PC owner to get an Xbox One right now. Virtually all titles will be coming to PC and unless you want to play those games in sub-HD and low framerates, I would steer well clear.

Any PC owner? So all PCs can play the modern Xbox One games well and/or better than the Xbox One? Games like Forza aren't sub 1080p either so what about racing game fans?

I've stated in my previous posts that Nintendo + PC is pretty much the way to go if you have a very solid gaming PC and want the most game variety but some of these posts are still hilarious/overboard.

"I don't want it so no one else should either!"

Any PC owner? So all PCs can play the modern Xbox One games well and/or better than the Xbox One? Games like Forza aren't sub 1080p either so what about racing game fans?

I've stated in my previous posts that Nintendo + PC is pretty much the way to go if you have a very solid gaming PC and want the most game variety but some of these posts are still hilarious/overboard.

"I don't want it so no one else should either!"

Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 are two of the best games this whole gen. Not just my opinion, but critics opinion too. Nothing on XB1 comes close. So I'd rather not miss out on games like these, thanks.

Bgamer90

Banned
Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 are two of the best games this whole gen. Not just my opinion, but critics opinion too. Nothing on XB1 comes close. So I'd rather not miss out on games like these, thanks.

But (again) that's your opinion. Nothing on PS4 in the racing genre comes close to what the Xbox One provides in the opinions of gamers/critics too which is why some heavy PC gamers still own the console.

I don't see why it's hard to understand that each console can still can have a purpose for someone who owns a PC based on what they want/prefer; Saying "mistake for any PC owner" is a huge stretch.

Do you like playing your games on your living room tv? If yes, you will need an xbox one. I heard you can't do that with a pc :)

seriously though, i say wait until end of the year when it will be clear as to what the level of commitment Microsoft has for porting xbox games to pc. If there are still a few games that don't look like they will be ported then it will be a good time to grab an xbox one for dirt cheap.

Personally even though I game on pc as well as consoles and I could easily and cheaply upgrade my pc to run all xbox ports (except for quantum break which will need a more hefty upgrade), I am still interesting in buying an Xbox One or it's forthcoming upgrade. I am a console gamer at heart and have a large collection of digital and physical xbox 360 games that I would like to carry over to a more recent console.
Having said that I can easily see how someone would find zero appeal in the console now that almost (maybe all?) exclusives are coming to pc.

And Uncharted 4 will most likely be my GOTY, but the exclusives that are system sellers are too few imo, the 2-3 must have games will be quite expensive if the rest of the games are played on PC. It was a whole other situation a few gens ago when barely any console game came to PC. But almost all games comes to PC now and are usually better there too. It's a bad evolution of console gaming but fantastic for PC gaming. There are still a few games that are better on console though, TR2013, DOA5LR for example.

I don't 't need system seller to sell me on PS console. Half my library last gen was probably exclusives so I'm interested in their games whether they are must have or not. I just like them. I know not every one feels this way. I generally buy those exclusives over the stuff EA, Ubisoft and Activision are putting out. Don't see that changing much in the future.

But (again) that's your opinion. Nothing on PS4 in the racing genre comes close to what the Xbox One provides in the opinions of gamers/critics too which is why some heavy PC gamers still own the console.

I don't see why it's hard to understand that each console can still can have a purpose for someone who owns a PC based on what they want/prefer; Saying "mistake for any PC owner" is a huge stretch.

Isn't next Forza supposed to be released on PC after testing waters with Apex?

No. It, Crackdown, and Gears 4 are the only holdouts at this point.

I'm just guessing, but I'd be surprised if we don't see new SB footage and a Windows 10 announcement at E3.

Scalebound needs to be on PC day one if it will any chance of being successful commercially.

KingV

I would take Halo 5, Halo Wars 2, or Scalebound over either of those if I had to choose. Different people like or are excited for different games.

I own all 3 consoles and a gaming PC, so I don't have to choose.

That said, the system I use the least is the PS4, I started it up for UC4, and thst was the first time since Bloodborne.

Xbox one is pretty good at doubling for a streaming box, so I use it almost daily for that.

Jawmuncher

There is, but considering how MS seems to really be pushing Xbox One and PC as the same thing maybe not now. I'd definitely wait for E3. Where a lot of details will prbably come out.

Top Bottom