• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC crashing during games constantly :(

MetalSlug

I recently got myself a GTX1080 and it would crash now and again, but it's happening more often now. My PC only crashes when running games (Usually within 5-20 mins of gameplay)

Just this happens - No BSOD or anything else. The below happened within 1 minute.
L8fwq6J.jpg

I have tried a clean install of Windows and also checked removed my RAM sticks one at a time, but the above still happens on all my games (Except Rocket League, Cuphead and Sonic Mania)

I also tried running Furmark for 1hr 45mins and it never crashed.

I don't know if any of the information contained in these screens below is of any use, but here it is.

https://imgur.com/a/QkA1d

Also, this is the exact GPU that I have https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...dr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-323-ms.html

Thanks.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Have you tried another gpu? Do you have a weak power supply? Is the gpu faulty? Is your ram bad? Have you only tried the ram and install of windows? Need more information.

Acidote

Check your temperatures when running games. Tell your GPU-Z sensors tab to save your peak temperature. If that's ok, run memtest on your card. It looks like a defective graphics card or a weak power supply (who could also make your gpu to overheat).

3x0

Neo Member
1) Open the Reliability history from the start menu, locate the crash report and select View technical details from the context menu. Post the detailed report

2) Check whether the power connectors are properly plugged in in the graphics card.

3) Use Memtest 86+ to check if the RAM is faulty. An overnight test is a minimum for thoroughness

Use Display Driver Uninstaller to do a clean uninstall of NVIDIA drivers, then install a stable NVIDIA driver. I'm not sure if Windows 10 still tries to install GPU drivers on their own but if they do disable that to avoid any issue with that.

Nzyme32

- Do you see any error message or notification saying something like the display driver has been reset or the driver was recovered?

- Was the system fine under the previous graphics card

Since this is time contingent to an extent, it reminds me of an issue I had in 2007 when I got a new graphics card, where only graphically intensive games would crash after about 2mins.

If you can, find someone with any other graphics card that is able to play the games you have issues with and try it out.
I found that there was actually no issue with the card, but some dust must have got somewhere when the graphics card was seated. After that one change everything was fine.

Nzyme32

But I read in neogaf they were virtually plug and play now...can't be

It's also pretty easy to refer you to people with a faulty PS4 - shocking I know
Let's keep this on topic so the OP can actually get help with the issue rather than platform warrz

MetalSlug

Have you tried another gpu? Do you have a weak power supply? Is the gpu faulty? Is your ram bad? Have you only tried the ram and install of windows? Need more information.

I can try and get my GTX970 back from a friend and try that. I have only tried the ram and install of Windows.

Check your temperatures when running games. Tell your GPU-Z sensors tab to save your peak temperature. If that's ok, run memtest on your card. It looks like a defective graphics card or a weak power supply (who could also make your gpu to overheat).

Temperature got up to 71c.

Any messages like the graphic drivers crashing?

Nope, just the same error for all my games as the DMC4 screen.

Did you tinker with GPU clocks?

Nope, just left them as they are.

1) Open the Reliability history from the start menu, locate the crash report and select View technical details from the context menu. Post the detailed report

2) Check whether the power connectors are properly plugged in in the graphics card.

They are correctly plugged in.

3) Use Memtest 86+ to check if the RAM is faulty. An overnight test is a minimum for thoroughness

I'll try this. Is Memtest also the same one for testing the memory on the card as well?

Use Display Driver Uninstaller to do a clean uninstall of NVIDIA drivers, then install a stable NVIDIA driver. I'm not sure if Windows 10 still tries to install GPU drivers on their own but if they do disable that to avoid any issue with that.

I'll also look into this.

This is the reliability crash report

Source
DEVIL MAY CRY 4 Special Edition

Summary
Stopped working

Date
‎30/‎09/‎2017 20:25

Status
Report sent

Description
Faulting Application Path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Special Edition\DevilMayCry4SpecialEdition.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: DevilMayCry4SpecialEdition.exe
Application Version: 1.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 556d7520
Fault Module Name: DevilMayCry4SpecialEdition.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 556d7520
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00825200
OS Version: 10.0.15063.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: 2beb
Additional Information 2: 2beba6fb4680d73a8c78ca7c24ccdb46
Additional Information 3: 3893
Additional Information 4: 389396513639b137ee16ae6bc52cfbdc

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 77452aeb658996aba9a395de7adaae81 (108288359048)

shiba5

I got my husband a 1080ti and it was doing the same thing - crash after 15-20 mins. Every game. I think it hit a certain memory sector that was bad and hard locked the PC. I sent it back and got a new one that works.

MetalSlug

- Do you see any error message or notification saying something like the display driver has been reset or the driver was recovered?

- Was the system fine under the previous graphics card

Since this is time contingent to an extent, it reminds me of an issue I had in 2007 when I got a new graphics card, where only graphically intensive games would crash after about 2mins.

If you can, find someone with any other graphics card that is able to play the games you have issues with and try it out.
I found that there was actually no issue with the card, but some dust must have got somewhere when the graphics card was seated. After that one change everything was fine.

Yeah, my PC was fine with the 970.

kromeo

I had a similar problem a while back, I never managed to work out what was causing it but I changed motherboard and it never happened again

Zojirushi

I had this problem when I switched from a 7970 to a 980ti. Never understood why exactly but lowering my CPU overclock just a little fixed everything.

dsk1210

If a clean install of drivers does not work, remove any overclock on the cpu and knock 50mz of the clock speed on your gpu, then test the crashing games out again.

I've had problems like that when my video card and or cpu was overclocked too high. Sounds like your card is simply faulty though. If none of the solutions in this thread work then I suggest exchanging the card for another.

I have been having these crashes as well. I've been investigating myself. I've tried some things mentioned, but some of these are new. Will give them a try and report back. Thanks all!

Do you have MSI afterburner installed along with riva tuner by chance?
If yes, check your rivatuner version.
If you have the Creators Update, any version prior to 7.0.0 beta crashes everything istantanely.
So, in short terms, if you meet above requirements be sure to have at least 7.0.0 beta 9 or newer.

Zigi

Neo Member
I had similar problem as you and the problem was that i was using XMP profile in bios for the memory. I down clocked my memory to 1600mhz and crashes stopped (i am using ddr3). I would suggest to try lower clocks on memory and see if that fixes the problem.

Mivey

It could also be faulty RAM, but this would affect much more than merely games. There is the MemTest suite, that you can use to check (just google for it). It's a program that you boot into, and it goes over the whole RAM multiple times and checks for errors.

poodaddy

Gold Member
This is just anecdotal and probably not super helpful, but for some reason this happened to me pretty often when I first built my PC years ago and for some it almost completely stopped when I changed power options from balanced to maximum power. I'm not sure why, but I haven't changed my CPU, RAM, PSU, or motherboard out in 6 years and I only upgrade GPU'S every two to three years, no issues since.

MetalSlug

Do you have MSI afterburner installed along with riva tuner by chance?
If yes, check your rivatuner version.
If you have the Creators Update, any version prior to 7.0.0 beta crashes everything istantanely.
So, in short terms, if you meet above requirements be sure to have at least 7.0.0 beta 9 or newer.

I installed it afterburner today and tried to install riva tuner, but it said that it wasn't supported on windows 10.

My windows version is Windows 10, version 1703.

Is your power supply strong enough to handle the draw as the card gets hotter and pulls more fan voltage? Do you have proper ventilation for the card?

I had a pc that ran fine until the card was under full power draw, then it simply rebooted on its own. Had to upgrade power supplies to fix the problem.

Metalmarc

Is your power supply strong enough to handle the draw as the card gets hotter and pulls more fan voltage? Do you have proper ventilation for the card?

I had a pc that ran fine until the card was under full power draw, then it simply rebooted on its own. Had to upgrade power supplies to fix the problem.

Yeah what wattage is your psu OP?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I installed it afterburner today and tried to install riva tuner, but it said that it wasn't supported on windows 10.

My windows version is Windows 10, version 1703.

i'm on 1703 too. i have afterburner/rivatuner installed and they work fine. afterburner is version 4.4.0 Beta 11 and Rivatuner is 7.0.0 Beta 25. if the crashing has just started with your new GPU then it's likely that or the PSU and not your CPU/RAM. i'd suggest downloading the latest drivers from here if you haven't already:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/124420/en-uk

even if you already have it installed it might be worth using DDU to do a clean install which can be found here:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

if still keeps crashing i'd probably just try get a replacement. there are other things you can do but again if the crashing has just started with the new GPU then it's probably that or PSU. things i'd do would be making sure all other system drivers are up to date including BIOS. I have pretty much identical PC to you except i have a 1070 but it's a MSI Gaming X like your 1080. Gaming X cards are fantastic and i'd highly recommend a replacement instead of a different model. If you're lucky then it's just a faulty GPU and a replacement will sort it right out for you.

Also, what PSU do you have? It's possible your PSU can't power the GPU. a 970 has a TDP of 145W whereas a 1080 is 180W.

I think you got a bad gpu. Try to return it for a new one if you still can otherwise you'll have to rma it.

And please don't run furmark for over an hour anymore. Don't run furmark at all. Download a real test from uningine (valley, heaven, supposition) or 3dmark (firestrike, time spy) and test using that.

Neith

Banned

Seriously, dude, as long as you know what you are doing and you get QUALITY parts this rarely if ever happens.

Key word QUALITY, which is where I can agree with you somewhat that certain suggestions around here or anywhere really to build the cheapest and shittiest PC for what you pay are in general terrible advice for the future.

MetalSlug

i'm on 1703 too. i have afterburner/rivatuner installed and they work fine. afterburner is version 4.4.0 Beta 11 and Rivatuner is 7.0.0 Beta 25. if the crashing has just started with your new GPU then it's likely that or the PSU and not your CPU/RAM. i'd suggest downloading the latest drivers from here if you haven't already:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/download/driverResults.aspx/124420/en-uk

even if you already have it installed it might be worth using DDU to do a clean install which can be found here:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

if still keeps crashing i'd probably just try get a replacement. there are other things you can do but again if the crashing has just started with the new GPU then it's probably that or PSU. things i'd do would be making sure all other system drivers are up to date including BIOS. I have pretty much identical PC to you except i have a 1070 but it's a MSI Gaming X like your 1080. Gaming X cards are fantastic and i'd highly recommend a replacement instead of a different model. If you're lucky then it's just a faulty GPU and a replacement will sort it right out for you.

Also, what PSU do you have? It's possible your PSU can't power the GPU. a 970 has a TDP of 145W whereas a 1080 is 180W.

This is the PC that I have https://www.overclockers.co.uk/tita...k-4.5ghz-overclocked-gaming-pc-fs-115-og.html

Says the power supply is an XFX 850W 80+ Gold Rated PSU

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

they are pretty much. remove old then insert new GPU and make sure drivers are up to date.

that's assuming the parts you bought are in actual working order/compatible. even consoles can arrive faulty, you know, and we can all make mistakes and sometimes buy the wrong thing or not do proper research. these things unfortunately happen and always will.

Head.spawn

Well we had a big thread about it happening to PS4 Pros w/ Destiny 2, so I'm not sure why you'd think PC would be 100% perfect in compassion.

I recently got myself a GTX1080 and it would crash now and again, but it's happening more often now. My PC only crashes when running games (Usually within 5-20 mins of gameplay)

Just this happens - No BSOD or anything else. The below happened within 1 minute.
L8fwq6J.jpg

I have tried a clean install of Windows and also checked removed my RAM sticks one at a time, but the above still happens on all my games (Except Rocket League, Cuphead and Sonic Mania)

I also tried running Furmark for 1hr 45mins and it never crashed.

I don't know if any of the information contained in these screens below is of any use, but here it is.

https://imgur.com/a/QkA1d

Also, this is the exact GPU that I have https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...dr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-323-ms.html

Thanks.

How are your temps?

Double checked as of your drivers after the update? Windows cam goof hard here.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

beeswax

If your CPU is overclocked at all, you might neee to either ease back a bit or add a bit more voltage. Also, try feeding the GPU with 2 seperate PCI-E power connectors from your PSU, rather than a splitter, if that applies.

MetalSlug

I'm going to try and get a replacement, but I'll keep trying to see if I can get it sorted before I send it away.

Lylo

You said you don't have the problem with Rocket League, Cuphead and Sonic Mania, have you tried verifying the integrity of the game files on Steam?

I would try getting that 970 from your friend to try that. I had an issue like that and it turned out it was my GPU. I tried everything before RMAing it to EVGA and when they sent me a new one, crashing stopped.

120v

for what it's worth i had the same problem when i got a new graphics card. i figured the PSU wasn't up to snuff but then i just reseated the card and voila everything ran fine

definitely a rare scenario and i lucked out that was the extent of my problems. basically the PC equivalent of taking out a cartridge and blowing on it. but it's worth a try

pestul

for what it's worth i had the same problem when i got a new graphics card. i figured the PSU just wasn't up to snuff but then i just reseated the card and voila everything ran fine

definitely a rare scenario and i lucked out that was the extent of my problems. basically the PC equivalent of taking out a cartridge and blowing on it. but it's worth a try
Yeah, sometimes a case design or motherboard standoffs can cause card seating issues too. It is a good recommendation.

Top Bottom