• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Exclusive Star Citizen has the best graphics ever made in a video game ?

TxKnight7

WHAT???

RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2
THE LAST OF US 2
UNCHARTED 4
RATCHET PS5
DEMON SOULS

spanks STAR CITIZEN
h4u0Nlq.jpg

gTXpNjm.jpg

JUkC0fF.gif

Last edited:
NMS is nowhere near this in scope or execution. SC is much more of a sim, NMS is more of an arcade game. Even if you're implying the space-to-planet surface streaming is the same, it really isn't, in SC you literally just fly in and see the same landscape/city, while in NMS it changes between different ones, like radically different LODs.

Shesus my pc would blow up trying to play this.

What kind of rig do you even need for this?

Cant imagine how 2080's managed to run this during its initial alpha release state.

Stuart360

Its actually a bit of a mixed bag, as you would expect for a game this huge and scope, and so far from 'finish'.
I watch a stremer a few times a week, who's a partner for Star Citizen, and yeah seeing the actual gameplay can be quite different. Its still a good looking game overall, and there are still tons of graphical techniques coming that are not even in the game yet, but at the moment the game is a mixed bag.

ShadowNate

What I think they should have done is work on SQ42, and release it to entice the naysayers.
This was the plan since the early days. After several failures to deliver a game for SQ42 of whatever length, they promised a beta in 2020. And failed again.
So, yet more red flags for the scam. The naysayers, not enticed.

Worth noting, no one really knows what the first release of SQ42 will be (if it ever happens). They talked about prelude, prologue and they've already promised huge DLCs that early backers will get for free. :D

Last edited:

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
It wouldn't be past them to change game engines again - seeing how UE5 and Raytracing are changing everything - and add another 5 years of development, opening doors to even more funding.

That is what it happens when you take an eternity to launch a game. The industry graphical leaders move at a faster rate than you do, and you keep chasing the rabbit.

NahaNago

The snowy scene looks better than anything we got from halo recently. The pop in with the guns on the wall was just bugging me every time they moved the camera back and forth you would see it happen and it was only like maybe 10 feet from the character in those star citizen videos.

But I'm guessing that for the games too look that good the pc rigs would probably cost 4 times what an xbox one series x costs.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its funny, some people complain about slow-walking scenes in games, while others rave about flying down to a planet really, really, slowly!

Also, gotta say that while what games like NMS and SC offer are no doubt admirable, I just don't get the thrill of exploration/discovery when essentially because of the sheer scope of their universes, there's very little at such destinations that is specifically authored, its mostly algorithmically generated.

I find it hard to get past the thought that these things aren't "places" they are just combinations of parameters, like an over-iterated version of a random maze or a fractal image generator.

EnzoArt

lol all i get from this comment is that you are a sony fan. none of those games have the scale of star citizen nor the graphics nor the tech. they are either empty open worlds or linear scrpted experiences.
It's not about scale, it's about graphics, and graphically it loses out to everyone on the list, and NMS is much larger in scale, so it's not the best either in graphics or in scale.

And no, I'm not a Sony fanboy, I don't have a console, I just have a PC.

And yes, I have Star Citizen.

jigglet

Banned
Still looks like a video game.

PS3 was able to do actual photo realistic images (ala the matrix) so it's still got some catching up to do.

dottme

What about the performance? But let’s wait for the DF review of the 1.0 release so we can actually have good indication.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is this a walking simulator? What is the gameplay loop?

Also. Its cross gen ass Horizon for me

6c5f500017f315061113b5b7cc823407f67bbdee.gifv
is it just me or did the foliage move when her legs went through it and then again when she took out her bow and it clipped both the plants on her left and then on her right.

I thought people said the foliage isnt interactive?

killatopak

is it just me or did the foliage move when her legs went through it and then again when she took out her bow and it clipped both the plants on her left and then on her right.

I thought people said the foliage isnt interactive?
Not all of them interact. Small grasses for example has no movement even when brushed by her feet.

HTK

Banned
Graphically it's impressive but nothing special.

Standards are higher these days, you have to execute on a multitude of levels at high quality:
- Graphics
- Animations
- Voice over
- Story Telling
- AI
- Sound
- Controls
- Quality Control
- 3/4 Year Dev Cycle to deliver the goods unless you're Rockstar Games.

If your game is not firing on all of these cylinders at a high quality, you are behind.

Fbh

It looks really good, but none of the videos or screenshots posted here stand out to me as being clearly superior to other AAA games.

It's funny because when this was first announced it looked next gen as hell, but it now it looks like just another AAA game. So who knows, maybe by the time they are finally ready to make a proper 1.0 release it will look a bit dated

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Shesus my pc would blow up trying to play this.

What kind of rig do you even need for this?

Cant imagine how 2080's managed to run this during its initial alpha release state.

Uhm fine, even at 4K getting 60fps is possible, but my screen is 1440p so around 80fps and in large cities around 35/50fps. Also depends on the server somethimes.

It's not about scale, it's about graphics, and graphically it loses out to everyone on the list, and NMS is much larger in scale, so it's not the best either in graphics or in scale.

And no, I'm not a Sony fanboy, I don't have a console, I just have a PC.

And yes, I have Star Citizen.

You can’t compare those games with SC, not even on the graphical side. You might even start to compare other games if it’s not about the scale. Nothing comes close to SC graphically in this scale. I mean look at Squadron 42 for instance. Sure those games look amazing but again, not comparable.

Last edited:
Star Citizen isn’t a game.
Star citizen isn’t real
it's so painfully obvious that it's nothing more that a scam, i'm continually surprised people can't see right through it. back in the 70's there was a 'Pet Rock' craze where you could buy a rock (literally an ordinary, small rock) in a decorated box and play with it like it was a 'real pet'. this reminds me of that, only difference being that with the Pet Rock you actually got a product out of the purchase. with this you get absolutely nothing. meh.

Kev Kev

it's so painfully obvious that it's nothing more that a scam, i'm continually surprised people can't see right through it. back in the 70's there was a 'Pet Rock' craze where you could buy a rock (literally an ordinary, small rock) in a decorated box and play with it like it was a 'real pet'. this reminds me of that, only difference being that with the Pet Rock you actually got a product out of the purchase. with this you get absolutely nothing. meh.
I mean... I was just joking...

but cool story 😃👍

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

You do understand that hundreds of thousands of people have been playing, and enjoying Star Citizen's alpha for years?

It has more content than a lot of released games by now.

So much for "absolutely nothing." 😂

Last edited:
You do understand that hundreds of thousands of people have been playing, and enjoying Star Citizen's alpha for years?

It has more content than a lot of released games by now.

So much for "absolutely nothing." 😂
and still absolutely no end in sight for the project. always to be delivered 'in the future' so they can add 'more and more content'. they are under no obligation to deliver any form of finished product, and they know it. absolutely nothing.

lefty1117

Gold Member
The pictures don't really do it justice. When you walk out of an outpost and you see your ship in the distance, it just looks fcking amazing. All of the other things are true, about it being an alpha and quite possibly a ponzi scheme ... but if they do ever release this game it will be amazing. Still though, wish they had a publisher overlord that could keep them on point because I can't tell you how many times I've read that they're refactoring something. Spinning wheels at times.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
and still absolutely no end in sight for the project. always to be delivered 'in the future' so they can add 'more and more content'. they are under no obligation to deliver any form of finished product, and they know it. absolutely nothing.

So first it was "absolutely nothing," now it's "finished product."

Moving the goalposts much?

The simple and unquestionable fact is that the game has made very measurable and consistent progress over the years, so those who call it a "scam" either don't know what they're talking about or don't know what a scam is. 😂

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
It needs to be released to be considered an actual videogame. at current state, it's nothing more than an empty tech demo.

Last edited:
So first it was "absolutely nothing," now it's "finished product."

Moving the goalposts much?

The simple and unquestionable fact is that the game has made very measurable and consistent progress over the years, so those who call it a "scam" either don't know what they're talking about or don't know what a scam is. 😂
what exactly is your expectation for your investment? a partially completed product? of course not, so saying 'moving the goalpost' is foolish. you have the expectation of receiving a finished product for you investment. it's not complicated.

and again, they are under no obligation to deliver on your investment. in terms of a finished, fully playable product, they can deliver absolutely nothing and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. they have your money, you're not getting it back, deal with it and go on with life.

Last edited:

Excess

There's some minor blemishes, and you could easily nitpick. The seething from a specific crowd can heard a mile away, though. :)

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
After the recent upgrades it is.
SC looks like Crysis 3 PC and that's not a bad thing but it's starting to show it's age.

I play No Man's Sky actively on a rig that can easily push 150-200 FPS at maximum detail. It doesn't come even in the same galaxy as Star Citizen, not only in detail but also in functionality. There is a massive difference between a game in which you click on a ship and you teleport in it, and one in which you can fully explore ships, fight in them, drive vehicles and ships inside other ships (all fully persistent) and so forth.

And I mean full-fledged multi-crew pilotable ships, not like No Man's Sky's super-limited frigates.

I love No Man's Sky, but it's very "gamey" and it yanks you out of the immersion a lot, which is something that Star Citizen doesn't do, as interactions are a lot more lifelike.

They're basically two different games, with entirely different sets of ambitions.

what exactly is your expectation for your investment? a partially completed product? of course not, so saying 'moving the goalpost' is foolish. you have the expectation of receiving a finished product for you investment. it's not complicated.

and again, they are under no obligation to deliver on your investment. in terms of a finished, fully playable product, they can deliver absolutely nothing and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. they have your money, you're not getting it back, deal with it and go on with life.

My investment isn't higher than a collector's edition of any game, and it already delivered more fun than 90% of the games I played. I fully expect that to continue for quite a while.

Like for any game, I expect fun, and I've received that in spades already a while ago.

Incidentally, there may be "Nothing I can do" but their development process is very transparent and involves backers heavily. Being "along for the ride" and seeing the development process of a high-end AAA game a lot more actively than in other games is value on its own.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I play No Man's Sky actively on a rig that can easily push 150-200 FPS at maximum detail. It doesn't come even in the same galaxy as Star Citizen, not only in detail but also in functionality. There is a massive difference between a game in which you click on a ship and you teleport in it, and one in which you can fully explore ships, fight in them, drive vehicles and ships inside other ships (all fully persistent) and so forth.

I love No Man's Sky, but it's very "gamey" and it yanks you out of the immersion a lot, which is something that Star Citizen doesn't do, as interactions are a lot more lifelike.

They're basically two different games, with entirely different sets of ambitions.

My investment isn't higher than a collector's edition of any game, and it already delivered more fun than 90% of the games I played. I fully expect that to continue for quite a while.

Like for any game, I expect fun, and I've received that in spades already a while ago.

Incidentally, there may be "Nothing I can do" but their development process is very transparent and involves backers heavily. Being "along for the ride" and seeing the development process of a high-end AAA game lot more actively than in other games is value on its own.
If you are getting that many FPS... you aren't playing it in a high enough quality and not 4K.
They are comparable because SC is showing it's age.

Incidentally, there may be "Nothing I can do" but their development process is very transparent and involves backers heavily. Being "along for the ride" and seeing the development process of a high-end AAA game lot more actively than in other games is value on its own.
fair enough. i'll assume your correct about the transparency, which raises a question: where is the investor pressure to finish? for any venture there is always a pressure to finish and distribute the final product/service. is there any pressure to finish this from current investors? if there is, what is the developer's response?

Beelzebubs

It looks absolutely incredible no doubt but I consider something a game if I can actually play it. Bonus points if it's a complete experience and relatively bug free.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
fair enough. i'll assume your correct about the transparency, which raises a question: where is the investor pressure to finish? for any venture there is always a pressure to finish and distribute the final product/service. is there any pressure to finish this from current investors? if there is, what is the developer's response?

There really isn't for most of the community. The reason is that the content we get every quarter is a lot of fun and plenty of return on the investment for most. A lot of people who backed Star Citizen did so because they wanted the ultimate space game, so they don't really care for a rushed thing that would not be ultimate at all. The feature set makes this a dream game for a lot of space nerds.

If you are getting that many FPS... you aren't playing it in a high enough quality and not 4K.
They are comparable because SC is showing it's age.

I play in 1440p, same as Star Citizen. Resolution is equal, so that's absolutely irrelevant. The quality is as high as the settings go.

You say that it's "showing its age" but that simply tells me that you haven't ever played Star Citizen. It's pretty simple, really. There isn't a single thing in it that's showing its age, as the engine and tech are continuously updated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom