• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Footage from the cancelled Star Wars Battlefront III

Borman

Can we please shy away from Battlefront 3 vs the current Battlefront? Each has its own merits. Im just here to share some new video that hasn't been seen before.

Mods usually allow me to post these things if I don't do it often, so I figured I'm good to go.

I revealed a lot of footage of the cancalled Star Wars Battlefront III in 2012 or so. Most of that video is still available:
http://ptoponline.com/?p=778

Most people knocked the game's graphics, despite the fact that I reiterated that this was a build 9 months or so before the game was canned.

I hadn't given up on finding something later, but I'll admit it was a bit slow going. Thanks to an anonymous source, though, I have a few more minutes of a much, much later build, which was still not optimized but showed a much, much better picture of what Free Radical's version of Battlefront was going to be, for better or worse. It isn't much to go off of, but it's more than we have seen in years.

And I think it looks far better than people have ever given it credit for.

New video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYE5dA5pE3w

Hopefully this brings some more footage out of the woodwork. Many (former) employees should be able to track me down pretty easily, if I haven't already reached out myself.

GKsu0sE.jpg

Wow, nice find. Looks far more ambitious than what we're about to get tbh.

Uhm the Reboot looks way more impressive to me than this FR version...

Yes it doesnt have this fancy space battles etc... but the Presentation is on point and the gameplay is really fun too.

People still cant let this Battlefront 3 go. I dont get it.

Eggbok

I feel like even if Battlefront 3 was released we would still end up with this reboot regardless and be more disappointed that even more was removed.
I'm also really curious why there are soldiers that aren't clones in clone armor lol. They aren't jedi either right? Weird, guess t

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
As the developers have said to me, it was too ambitious really. That said, it is still really impressive.
People will continue to ignore this reality and act like the canceled game was going to be the perfect Star Wars game.

Yes it doesnt have this fancy space battles etc... but the Presentation is on point and the gameplay is really fun too.

Some people value gameplay ambition over graphical ambition.

What a surprise!

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Just said it looked more ambitious, not more or less impressive. I did think the beta was really underwhelming myself.

Trace

Banned
People will continue to ignore this reality and act like the canceled game was going to be the perfect Star Wars game.

Not only would it have been perfect, it would have had more content than every AAA game released to date, and have been free with no microtransactions.

Or maybe it was going over time and budget, and wasn't doing so well.

Boke1879

Some people value gameplay ambition over graphical ambition.

What a surprise!

A game that the own devs said was too ambitious? People really need to let go of a cancelled game that we're never going to get. A game that they still would have had to cut back on.

I'm so sad free radical's formula is nothing but a distant memory.

I dont want battlefield: star wars, I want battlefront the way it was supposed to be, it's the difference between old halo and new halo, I dont want new halo.

Trace

Banned

I dont want battlefield: star wars, I want battlefront the way it was supposed to be, it's the difference between old halo and new halo, I dont want new halo.

Good, because you're getting Battlefront not Battlefield: Star Wars.

Not only would it have been perfect, it would have had more content than every AAA game released to date, and have been free with no microtransactions.

With how bad this maps look... no wonder they would have so many.

Free Radical made the timesplitters games which were amazing fpses

So? The game after that was ass. Haze...

Borman

I feel like even if Battlefront 3 was released we would still end up with this reboot regardless and be more disappointed that even more was removed.
I'm also really curious why there are soldiers that aren't clones in clone armor lol. They aren't jedi either right? Weird, guess t

The main characters? X1 and X2. Play Elite Squadron on the PSP for what was recovered about the Story :)

But most seem to think it would have gotten done for 2009, especially if Lucasarts hadn't stonewalled them. Still overbudget and over time, but it wouldn't be the first game to fall victim of it really.

Free Radical made the timesplitters games which were amazing fpses

I like Timesplitters ;)

Protome

I'd much rather have Battlefield Star Wars than what I played of the Battlefront beta.

Trace

Banned
But most seem to think it would have gotten done for 2009, especially if Lucasarts hadn't stonewalled them. Still overbudget and over time, but it wouldn't be the first game to fall victim of it really.

Or maybe it wasn't good enough, wouldn't have been received well and killed the franchise.

There's plenty of things to say "what if" about.

Good, because you're getting Battlefront not Battlefield: Star Wars.
I don't understand this statement (saw it in the beta thread as well). I tried the beta and it didn't feel like a Battlefront game either

Felt like a cool Star Wars game and looked/sounded great (incredible even), but as someone who put a lot of time in on the original two on PS2, did not give me the same feeling/enjoyment. I vastly preferred the set classes you could choose in between spawns, and I liked having vehicles actually on the map. Unlock system is super weird as well, and for a game as casual/easy to get into as Battlefront it seems like a pointless time sink. If you're gonna make it a fun Star Wars game you just boot into for a couple of hours, why not make it that from the get go?

Footage of the cancelled one looks way more like the game I was hoping for from a new BF title

ryseing

The main characters? X1 and X2. Play Elite Squadron on the PSP for what was recovered about the Story :)

Don't actually do this. ES is terrible even with the ambitious space/land stuff.

Renegade Squadron is the better of the PSP Battlefronts.

Phamit

Lucas Arts was terrible at that time, wanted to pump out games as fast as possible. I doubt it would have been good

The cancelled BF3 looks a lot more like a Battlefront game than the newest one.

DICE's version is still fun, though.

Pretty much this.

This looks more like the Battlefield I once knew. The reboot does feel more Battlefield than Battlefront to me. Not hating on it, the presentation of the reboot is incredible.

Borman

Or maybe it wasn't good enough, wouldn't have been received well and killed the franchise.

There's plenty of things to say "what if" about.

Ive played enough of the game to at least be able to say I really doubt it would have killed things. Obviously it wasn't a perfect game (but I would argue the previous two weren't either), but issues surrounding it go beyond just the game itself.

Oh my god we literally JUST had this thread.

The game WAS NOT PLAYABLE AND WOULD NEVER WORK AS THEY ENVISIONED IT.

This video hasn't been seen.

Can we stop with the Battlefront III vs Battlefront (new) stuff? I still like the new Battlefront, even if it in itself isn't a perfect game.

Alienous

It looks neat.

DICE's Battlefront plays like a graphical showcase first and a game second. It's made me appreciate the nuances of game design more, because there's something sterile and off about DICE's effort.

Steel

Banned
Oh my god we literally JUST had this thread.

The game WAS NOT PLAYABLE AND WOULD NEVER WORK AS THEY ENVISIONED IT.

It's a new video. And honestly, they were more than half-way to what we see in the video between Battlefront 2 and Elite Squadron.

All I want to add, is that DICEs Battlefront 2 better have Galactic conquest, EP1-3 factions and heroes, and by then, Rogue One and EP8 will be released so,aybe even that, we already have Jakku! However it's done. Even a campaign!

Bonus: Rebels content.

Borman

But it's a video from the same game showing the same basic things.

The game was no functional as a game. It was a functional dev build that never would have worked on an actual kit.

Considering the PSP versions, the game would have worked enough in this day and age. I know we have differing opinions here, and Ill readily admit to the fact that the 360 and PS3 version had far more issues particularly with framerate, but it doesn't take away from what is here.

Jito

Banned
Still looks really poor.

Glad were getting a game with the coat of polish Star Wars deserves, Star Wars is in the right hands at EA.

It looks neat.

DICE's Battlefront plays like a graphical showcase first and a game second. It's made me appreciate game design more, because there's something sterile and off about DICE's effort.

The fact that relatively solid 60 fps was a priority is why I believe otherwise. From the Beta I thought it was very well designed for a more ''casual arcadey console shooter''.

Now I never played the prior Battlefronts and I get that people expecting a Battlefield with SW skin would be dissapointed (not saying you are on this camp mate) but I think there is a very solid and fun game in there that just needs some balance tweaks.

I do find it interesting there seems to be a big split between peoples opinions on the game.

Considering the PSP versions, the game would have worked enough in this day and age. I know we have differing opinions here, and Ill readily admit to the fact that the 360 and PS3 version had far more issues particularly with framerate, but it doesn't take away from what is here.

What is there isn't functional. You're playing on a PC that amounts to the highest of high end dev kits back then. It wouldn't function on the hardware of the time. It wouldn't run on a console (everybody has said this), and even on a high end PC of the time, the massive MP matches wouldn't function. It looks nice when you play alone with bots, but that's a basic kit version of the game.

singhr1

Remaking the same formula over and over is not how you innovate, that's how you stagnate. You want Halo 3 every 3 years or do you want something changes it up? Brings something new to the table?

Top Bottom