• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC GAF: are fast monitors worth buying if you can't use adaptive sync (freesync, g-sync, etc.)?

Xdrive05

I have no experience with this, so I'm hoping my PC fam on here can share your expertise.

Is there any real gaming benefit to 144hz if you're forced to deal with screen tearing in order to use it? Also, how distracting is screen tearing at high refresh rates? Is it less distracting than when it happens on 60hz?

I'm wanting a fast 1080p monitor for my aging GPU (GTX 980) mostly for older competitive games, but there's no adaptive sync support on 9 series cards. I definitely can't afford a G-sync native monitor so no adaptive sync for me at this time. So would it be worth it on this card?

You can use nvidia Fast sync in the control panel. Not sure what games you're trying to run at 144fps on a 980. But it should be doable if it's overwatch or something, or maybe COD if you lower settings and have a great cpu.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
144hz (for me) was the biggest upgrade in gaming I have ever done.

Grab a monitor thats somewhere easy to return if you dont like the experience but yes, imo get one now.

GHG

You'll be able to set the panel to 60hz in the meantime and then fully utilise the high refresh rate when you manage to upgrade your GPU.

If you have the hardware to be able to maintain whatever your refresh rate is then tearing shouldn't be much of an issue.

Kuranghi

V-sync fo life yo. Triple buffered too, not to maintain a higher framerate on desync, but just so there is even more input lag. Muhahaha!

Mista

Banned
Most monitors now have either g-sync or freesync. I’m rocking a 165hz monitor and god damn its juicy

When you get one and start using it, you’ll never be able to go back to the pleb life.

Xdrive05

Bumping the thread to thank everyone! I just nabbed a 27" Acer Predator XB272 full Gsync monitor for only $200! 240hz looks insanely smooth! Obviously I'm not getting THAT in modern games, but even 80-120 looks amazing. And with this setup I actually get Gsync on my 9 series card, too. So even stuff running sub-60 (ahem, Cyberpunk!), looks much better since it's not tearing and I don't have input lag from vsync.

For anyone reading this who hasn't taken the high refresh rate plunge, don't hesitate! And if you're like me and your GPU is too old for a "Gsync Compatible" to work with it, take a little time looking at your local marketplace for the Gsync models listed on Nvidias site (Gsync - not Gsync compatible). You'll probably find something too at a good price.

Kenpachii

are Gsync monuitors actually still that expensive? my Dell wasn't that expensive and has 165hz + Gsync at 1440p...

They are, intro for actual gsync is like 300-400 bucks i believe 1080p screens, ips screens seem to have a entry at 600-700 bucks. However as a gsync user i must say i will never buy a monitor without it anymore. Its absolutely godly on how it filters microstutter tearing etc. When its off games just straight up feel broken.

I have no experience with this, so I'm hoping my PC fam on here can share your expertise.

Is there any real gaming benefit to 144hz if you're forced to deal with screen tearing in order to use it? Also, how distracting is screen tearing at high refresh rates? Is it less distracting than when it happens on 60hz?

I'm wanting a fast 1080p monitor for my aging GPU (GTX 980) mostly for older competitive games, but there's no adaptive sync support on 9 series cards. I definitely can't afford a G-sync native monitor so no adaptive sync for me at this time. So would it be worth it on this card?

There is, its a lot more smoother then 60hz screens. the moment u sit at 144hz i will never go back to 60hz and want 100+ fps all day long. U don't need gsync or freesync in order to get this experience.

Gsync however is godly, cant say much about freesync as i never used there new solution, the only solution i had was when it was introduced and it was a disaster at the time, its probably fixed by now but how good it works vs gsync no clue.

This is what gsync basically does. it makes games like divniity 2 butter smooth and with a high hz screen at 143 capped, its almost like a window where u look into instead of looking at a janky game screen.

edit

Also when u do buy gsync make sure its actual gsync because gsync compathible is just freesync relabled by nvidia.

Last edited:

Paasei

Alright, so I'm having some sort of 1st world issue here. I'm getting a RTX 3070 somewhere next week to replace my GTX 1080 Ti (it died, but still had warranty). However, I noticed that these newer GPU's have something called DisplayPorts. My current monitors, do not. Considering that a RTX 3070 is quite a bet better than my previous card, and that a monitor is a whole lot cheaper than any GPU to begin with, I have decided to upgrade my main monitor (the one used to actually play games on) with a new one. Currently my games are running on a BenQ XL2411.

It can't be too hard to find a proper replacement, but I would like some user experience from some people that have a monitor with my set demands. And I also lack knowledge about the different panels.
The demands in question: 1440p, 144hz and 1ms.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Alright, so I'm having some sort of 1st world issue here. I'm getting a RTX 3070 somewhere next week to replace my GTX 1080 Ti (it died, but still had warranty). However, I noticed that these newer GPU's have something called DisplayPorts. My current monitors, do not. Considering that a RTX 3070 is quite a bet better than my previous card, and that a monitor is a whole lot cheaper than any GPU to begin with, I have decided to upgrade my main monitor (the one used to actually play games on) with a new one. Currently my games are running on a BenQ XL2411.

It can't be too hard to find a proper replacement, but I would like some user experience from some people that have a monitor with my set demands. And I also lack knowledge about the different panels.

Check out the LG 27gl850 its really a nice display for the money

We have a new God tier PC monitor entering the market.

https://rog.asus.com/monitors/32-to-34-inches/rog-swift-pg32uqx-model/

longdi

Banned

what's your budget though.

i been recommending acer x35 on clearance at microcenter.

Paasei

what's your budget though.

i been recommending acer x35 on clearance at microcenter.
Around 600 euro's should be fine.

Don't care much for curved or refreshrates higher than 144. The new GPU is good, but not so good it can handle both 1440p and over 144hz with the games I play.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Around 600 euro's should be fine.

Don't care much for curved or refreshrates higher than 144. The new GPU is good, but not so good it can handle both 1440p and over 144hz with the games I play.
sadly i don't think EU will get the greatly discounted x35.

i guess you can look the next step down acer x34gs, xiaomi 34", aoc CU34G2X. monitor tech is sooo slow. and the same few brands( acer lg aoc and dell. )with same panels from lg or auo or samsung.

that's why x35 is still pretty great even though it's 3 years old

imo for pc gaming a 34" 21:9 1440p is optimal. you may get black bars on 16:9 videos.

maybe next year we get 37.5" 1600p as the optimal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom