• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC GAF: Has Cyberpunk convinced you to upgrade? Is this poor optimization or is the performance in CP2077 a sign of things to come?

teezzy

Banned
Ever since buying my EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra... I've been pretty much beasting through games at ultra/high settings at 1440p. Didn't matter if I was still utilizing DDR3 or that my CPU only had 4 cores maxed at 3.8 with 8 threads. PC felt like a beast even with the 1150 socket in 2020.

Cyberpunk though? My PC is showing its age as I turn on DLSS, and set all settings to Medium just to get my game nice and smooth at 1440p. Really putting my G-Sync to work.

Funny too, because I initially built my PC to play Witcher 3. Same rig, except I had an R9 380 well before my RTX 2070. Even then I couldn't max out Witcher 3 how I wanted.

I know any decent upgrade in the GPU department is nearly impossible to come by at this point, and I plan to upgrade that after my CPU, RAM, and MOBO are decided upon.

Looks like CDPR set the precedent for me as far as PC tech goes. I'm always chasing after them to keep up. With my PC being more/less on par with PS5/XSX - I guess a "next gen" upgrade was inevitable.

Thanks for the reminder, Cyberpunk

Et tu, GAF?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
After the last patch and changing like two settings I’m pretty happy with how it’s running on my 7700k + 1080ti

1440p @ mid 40s-50s with almost everything on ultra except volumetric fog and SSAO, which I can’t even really tell the difference over. No ray tracing of course

teezzy

Banned
The Ray tracing is so pretty. I set mine to medium. Refuse to turn it off. Would rather lower other things.

GreatnessRD

I just upgraded to a 3700x and 3060 Ti. I just think the game was poorly optimized, but I've heard it plays better since a patch. Haven't turned it back on yet. Probably will see what's good tomorrow or Tuesday.

Mato

Nope. Game plays and looks great as it is for me with no performance problems. Just some bugs here and there. 1060, i7, 16GB DDR4 ram, medium settings, 1080p.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
My current set up is an i7 cpu (don't remember the exact model) 1070gtx and. 16 gigs of ram laptop. I have yet to try CP2077. When i do, i want to get lost in the matrix if you know what i mean.

So what did i do yesterday ..? I always build my pc but since its extremely difficult to buy pc hardware now like any of the 3000 cards... I bit the built really hard and purchased an Alienware pc. 3090 rtx, ryzen 7 3700x , 32 gigs of ram...

I think the last time a game that made me upgrade my entire PC was Doom 3. My new rig should be arriving sometime in January, cant wait.

SCB3

Yep, I'm running a Ryzen 5 2600 with a 1060 6gb, I can get a nice 30fps at 1080p with a few drops in the city (inside is fine) on medium settings

but I feel like it may be time to update my GPU, the PS5 has also convinced me, seeing Destiny 2 at 4k 60 over what i usually play at (1080p 60fps) made it clear

Last edited:

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
It runs like crap on my 7700k 32gb of ram and rtx 2070 build. Every other next gen title has preformed fairly well.
I think it's just a broken, broken outlier.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I've been trying to upgrade my 2080 Super to a 3080 since it launched. Now that I'm playing.....it is actually ok as long as RT is off.

Fun fact: Cyberpunk 2077 can double as your dominatrix. When I feel like I need to be abused, I turn RT up to Psycho and let it flog me with the single digit FPS. Glorious.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Nikoran

Neo Member
I’ve been wanting to upgrade my GPU for a while and Cyberpunk probably made me want to do it sooner.

baphomet

I mean I upgraded recently but not specifically for Cyberpunk. It was just a happy extra that I get to play it with everything maxed out at launch.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Running it at 1080p at Ultra with DLSS and it looks and runs amazing. On a 2070 too.

Last edited:

K.S v2.0

Banned
I will upgrade to w/e the refresh of the 30xx series is... 30xx Super or 40xx.

It isn't Cyberpunk specifically that's making me do this. I will always upgrade when it makes sense to. Sure being able to max out CP w/ RTX is nice, but RTX in the game is currently buggy AF. No, it never makes sense to upgrade 'just for one game'. Upgrade because your hardware is out of date, sure, but not just for a single game.

A lot of issues in CP atm is also poor optimization. The game isn't any more dense than Witcher 3 in towns, yet Witcher 3 runs THAT much better. Sure its using procgen for NPC's, as well as scripts for random 'events' ie people committing suicide, NPC's killing each other, etc... but it shouldn't run this poorly. There's just WAY too many bugs and optimization issues right now.

Last edited:

Brofist

It's running well enough on my 2070 Super, I'll wait until the next line of cards when they really start to distance from the consoles

PhoenixTank

I'd be a liar if I said the game didn't humble my 1080Ti, but it probably won't change my upgrade cycle. I do look forward to playing through it again with whatever the next card I get is.

bender

What time is it?
Not that you can't put the upgrades to use in the future, but give this game a few months and it will be in much better shape on your current hardware.

Yeah it has. Gonna upgrade my 1080ti to a 3080ti as soon as .... it exists.

I think that Cyberpunk can be more optimized than it is, but it's not at all crazy how demanding it is. It's very understandable. This is an EXTREMELY ambitious game. It's got great graphics on both large and small scales. It's using essentially every advanced graphical trick that exists and pushes raytracing farther than any other title so far.

Mods will exist soon that with push the graphics farther and will bring any currently available hardware to it's knees. And this is a very good thing. Cyberpunk will continue improving across the board for years I suspect.

Merkades

Nope. But I am upgrading (already bought 3 of the items I want) since it is a good time with new CPUs and GPUs being released (supposedly). Only real hitch is that 4 of the items I want are constantly out of stock and technically one of the items ordered is backordered. I wasn't plannning to play 2077 until after I fully assemble my new PC.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I was ready to get a 3080 day one just because the 1080TI doesn't cut it at 4K/60fps/comfy couch, and hasn't for a while.

Games are not going to get less advanced.

REDRZA MWS

Ever since buying my EVGA RTX 2070 XC Ultra... I've been pretty much beasting through games at ultra/high settings at 1440p. Didn't matter if I was still utilizing DDR3 or that my CPU only had 4 cores maxed at 3.8 with 8 threads. PC felt like a beast even with the 1150 socket in 2020.

Cyberpunk though? My PC is showing its age as I turn on DLSS, and set all settings to Medium just to get my game nice and smooth at 1440p. Really putting my G-Sync to work.

Funny too, because I initially built my PC to play Witcher 3. Same rig, except I had an R9 380 well before my RTX 2070. Even then I couldn't max out Witcher 3 how I wanted.

I know any decent upgrade in the GPU department is nearly impossible to come by at this point, and I plan to upgrade that after my CPU, RAM, and MOBO are decided upon.

Looks like CDPR set the precedent for me as far as PC tech goes. I'm always chasing after them to keep up. With my PC being more/less on par with PS5/XSX - I guess a "next gen" upgrade was inevitable.

Thanks for the reminder, Cyberpunk

Et tu, GAF?

You absolutely need a new cpu, 4 cores don’t cut it anymore. As for CP2077, seems like it’s running like ass across the board,last gen consoles, new consoles, pc’s of all configurations. I’m guessing CDPR should have probably let this one bake a little longer, and dropped past gen consoles completely.

Last edited:

REDRZA MWS

Yeah it has. Gonna upgrade my 1080ti to a 3080ti as soon as .... it exists.

I think that Cyberpunk can be more optimized than it is, but it's not at all crazy how demanding it is. It's very understandable. This is an EXTREMELY ambitious game. It's got great graphics on both large and small scales. It's using essentially every advanced graphical trick that exists and pushes raytracing farther than any other title so far.

Mods will exist soon that with push the graphics farther and will bring any currently available hardware to it's knees. And this is a very good thing. Cyberpunk will continue improving across the board for years I suspect.
It’s optimized like shit across the board. My rig should piss on it but it doesn’t so I won’t waste my time or money on it. CDPR was too ambitious, for themselves.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Cyberpunk 2077 had been in development for seven to eight years, which means that it hadn't been targeting hardware of any specific year, since even the developers hadn't known exactly when they'd release it.

Hence, it has wound up overshooting even the latest and greatest that PC hardware has to offer (i.e. RTX 3090); I wouldn't be surprised if CD Project Red overshot the latest and greatest PC hardware by an even greater degree than what has been demonstrated by the commercial release of the game but scaled back the performance requirements a bit to mitigate the overshoot.

Top Bottom