• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer criticizes RimWorld for being too "heteronormative".

MMaRsu

Banned
It's not sexist, you people are just being newaged weirdos. Boys and girls are intrinsically different on mental and physical levels, interests, abilities, skills, we vary greatly. What is the logic for mixing and jumbling everything together? Why can boys not be taught how to be men from strong male leaders and role models independent of girls?

Why can girls not be taught the same via their virtues on how to become women via Girl Scouts? Why does it need to be mixed?

New aged weirdos..hmmk I'm 32 dude. How am I a new aged weirdo?

I grew up with mixed activities and mixed school. I grew up as a normal functioning male member of society.

How is that new aged weirdoism?

Why cant women not be taught by the same leaders as boys to be strong, have their own will, utilize their own strenths? Is this something that can only be taught to boys?

What exactly do they teach you in boyscouts? Do they teach you how to be a normal fully functioning citizen? Or do they teach you how to tie knots, build camps and fires and all that sort of shit? It's better if it's mixed because you learn to interact with the other sex of your species. And through that you learn that females have different strengths then men. But it doesn't make them a lesser person or anything because they are a female.

And stop with the insults man, it makes you look weak.

Last edited:
New aged weirdos..hmmk I'm 32 dude. How am I a new aged weirdo?

I grew up with mixed activities and mixed school. I grew up as a normal functioning male member of society.

How is that new aged weirdoism?

Why cant women not be taught by the same leaders as boys to be strong, have their own will, utilize their own strenths? Is this something that can only be taught to boys?

What exactly do they teach you in boyscouts? Do they teach you how to be a normal fully functioning citizen? Or do they teach you how to tie knots, build camps and fires and all that sort of shit?

And stop with the insults man, it makes you look weak.
The logic that everything needs to be a cesspool of equal representation and opportunity and that organizations cannot be single faceted and directed to and for a specific group of people.

It's insanity to me that you actually believe specialized groups and organizations cannot exist. Fuck it, I'm white, maybe I should try to head the NAACP... Give me a break, come back down to reality.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Where did I say that specialized groups and organizations cannot exist? You are talking in absolutes and aren't open to any form of discussion. Let's close the book on this.

I thought the boyscouts were directed towards a specific group of people already: The group of people who would like their children to learn basic survival skills, like tying knots and building rafts and forts. Regardless if they are girls or boys.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Is it possible to take videogames too seriously? I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing something wrong seeing them as part of my life but not a particularly important part.

Where did I say that specialized groups and organizations cannot exist? You are talking in absolutes and aren't open to any form of discussion. Let's close the book on this.
Then why so much pushback for something that's specilized for boys and young men and has been specialized that way for 110 years?

mckmas8808

Banned
It was established in 1992 because the issues men were facing especially regarding suicide have grown to a dramatic level. And there is a international day for almost every fucking thing in the world. Dogs, cats, Sex, There is a even a international day for fucking toilets. It is a common things these days.

How is this a weapon?

Personally, I only notice men actually "TALK" about International Men's Day, in response to something that's "pro-women". If men talked about it honestly, then it wouldn't be viewed as a weapon.

Dunki

It's not sexist, you people are just being newaged weirdos. Boys and girls are intrinsically different on mental and physical levels, interests, abilities, skills, we vary greatly. What is the logic for mixing and jumbling everything together? Why can boys not be taught how to be men from strong male leaders and role models independent of girls?

Why can girls not be taught the same via their virtues on how to become women via Girl Scouts? Why does it need to be mixed?
Again yes they do but this is no reason not to mix them together. Boys and girls need to interact with each other and no this does not really happens in school. Because there you have your all boys and girls groups and clicqes etc.

This is the perfect environment to interact with each other even to become friends and sometimes even more. And you can still teach how boys and girls are different. And you can also established different events based on their interests. And no boys do not need to be taught how to be strong leaders in the boy scouts. they need to learn how to recognize their own interests, their strength their desires and they need support so they can go the way they want to go.

Every person is different be it boy or girl or trans.

MMaRsu

Banned
Then why so much pushback for something that's specilized for boys and young men and has been specialized that way for 110 years?

What pushback? I'm just saying it's ridiculous. There is no pro to it really, you can still teach boys to be boys when there are girls present.

But this seems like an ALL AMERICAN THING BOYS ONLY thing, so maybe I'm not in a position to judge. All I know here in The Netherlands there is no issue with boys and girls being in a mixed scouting group.

Dunki

Personally, I only notice men actually "TALK" about International Men's Day, in response to something that's "pro-women". If men talked about it honestly, then it wouldn't be viewed as a weapon.
They do it because in feminists circles this is seen as a disgrace and offensive to have such a day. They are using it as a weapon to lable everyone who agrees with this day as MRA etc.

What pushback? I'm just saying it's ridiculous. There is no pro to it really, you can still teach boys to be boys when there are girls present.

But this seems like an ALL AMERICAN THING BOYS ONLY thing, so maybe I'm not in a position to judge. All I know here in The Netherlands there is no issue with boys and girls being in a mixed scouting group.
Scouts can be physically and mentally excruciating, in general girls can't keep up, girls get emotional, girls don't like getting dirty, girls are whiny, girls are less physically productive and capable, girls are less ingenuitive, girls need specialized attention etc. It neuters the whole experience, it drags everything down. Now I have no issue with a specialized group for co-ed activities and the like but there also needs to be separation and full blown scouts so boys can fully exert themselves, grow and learn unhinged without having to babysit or be artificially held back.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
YAWN

Couldn't they criticize the game for how they handled a certain mechanic, or how the menus make it too difficult to manage your colony, or how the color palette will sometimes make it harder to perceive what's going on (or other such complaints)?

I wish I was as privileged as game journalists, making a career standing up for pixelated characters.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

It's a cultural difference. Forcing European standards on the States isn't necessarily for the best.

CuNi

Whenever I read such reviews I really start thinking of just starting to review games myself... I don't know if there are any sites really left that are worth being taken seriously anymore..

MMaRsu

Banned
Scouts can be physically and mentally excruciating, in general girls can't keep up, girls get emotional, girls don't like getting dirty, girls are whiny, girls are less physically productive, girls are less ingenuitive, girls need specialized attention etc. It neuters the whole experience, it drags everything down. Now I have no issue with a specialized group for co-ed activities and the like but there also needs to be separation and full blown scouts so boys can fully exert themselves, grow and learn unhinged without having to babysit or be artificially held back.

Wow talk about a whole lot of preconceived notions about how girls are. Now boys are being held back because there are girls in their scout group? Hmmk. Do you have any evidence of this or is it all conjecture?

It's a cultural difference. Forcing European standards on the States isn't necessarily for the best.

True, that's why I'm saying I might not have the best position to judge. But from my experience, there is nothing harmful about mixed education, and yes I would see the scouts as education.

It doesn't hamper the boys development in any way, it actually stimulates them to talk to girls, befriend them and interact with them on a normal basis of working together to achieve a common goal.

I'd say seperation breeds ignorance, preconceived notions like DynamiteCop! posted, girls are weak, they cant compete with the boys, they get tired, whiny, are less ingenuitive.. Cmon man this is some serious bullshit that sounds to me like a female hating dude.

Whenever I read such reviews I really start thinking of just starting to review games myself... I don't know if there are any sites really left that are worth being taken seriously anymore..

I used to think I could have faith in user reviews but most sites that collect those just show that a majority of people give a 10 or a 0 and finding the truth in between is a hassle

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
But Dunki that's the point. The days they were established matters. 1992 is super recent. And why are you going crazy on me when I said having a International Men's Day in theory makes great sense. It's 100% fine! I'm not against you on that. I personally think to call it that will come off in a negative way. Just give it a different name only just focus on Men's issues. Don't use it as a weapon. Men have basically all the power and have had basically all the power for 1000s of years. Let not play stupid on this.

This is one of those arguments that pops up and it's ultimately untrue because it relies on a fallacy that if x is mostly y then y is mostly x. The truth is that while most of the most powerful people are men, but most men are not powerful. Further, I'd argue that the second fallacy where the sins of the father must be transferred to the son kicks in, as while men were more powerful than women in the past, this has never been less true than it is today. I think we both know that a woman raised in a rich family will have more power and vastly better life chances than a man born into a poor family due to better social connections, schooling, etc. The power differences are from class, not gender.

Wow talk about a whole lot of preconceived notions about how girls are. Now boys are being held back because there are girls in their scout group? Hmmk. Do you have any evidence of this or is it all conjecture?
Did you not grow up in the real world around girls? They have inherent traits and capabilities that are different than men, these social experiments have been run, it's nature. Do you not pay attention to the military and their decisions for combat? Have you not watched the TV programs that leave men and women to their devices to survive and how much different things turn out?

We're not the same, we think categorically different, we're physically different, evolution has dictated primordial traits in men for survival and ingenuity that women did not need to possess.

Last edited:

CuNi

I used to think I could have faith in user reviews but most sites that collect those just show that a majority of people give a 10 or a 0 and finding the truth in between is a hassle

I was getting suspicious already back in my younger years (around 10y ago) when I noticed that quit bad games were still somewhat in the 70 to 80 points area. It may be a 0 to 100 scale but actually it's just a 70 to 100 scale. I barely see anything worse. Like honestly, why can't reviews be honest. If I read reviews where the reviewer destroys a game and ends up giving it a 75, then I just can't take it serious anymore.

RedVIper

Banned

True, that's why I'm saying I might not have the best position to judge. But from my experience, there is nothing harmful about mixed education, and yes I would see the scouts as education.

It doesn't hamper the boys development in any way, it actually stimulates them to talk to girls, befriend them and interact with them on a normal basis of working together to achieve a common goal.

I'd say seperation breeds ignorance, preconceived notions like DynamiteCop! posted, girls are weak, they cant compete with the boys, they get tired, whiny, are less ingenuitive.. Cmon man this is some serious bullshit that sounds to me like a female hating dude.

I don't think it's up to debate that women are not on par with men when it comes to physical ability. While whiny might be an exaggeration due to hormonal differences woman are more emotional then men and can't handle stress aswell.

I don't see why you cant have boys only, girls only and a mixed boys scout then you can choose.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
YAWN

Couldn't they criticize the game for how they handled a certain mechanic, or how the menus make it too difficult to manage your colony, or how the color palette will sometimes make it harder to perceive what's going on (or other such complaints)?

I wish I was as privileged as game journalists, making a career standing up for pixelated characters.

Colour-blindness is primarily a male issue, hence it being ignored ;)

MMaRsu

Banned
I don't think it's up to debate that women are not on par with men when it comes to physical ability. While whiny might be an exaggeration due to hormonal differences woman are more emotional then men and can't handle stress aswell.

I don't see why you cant have boys only, girls only and a mixed boys scout then you can choose.

Sure you can :). There is nothing wrong with that at all imo.

MMaRsu

Banned
Did you not grow up in the real world around girls? They have inherent traits and capabilities that are different than men, these social experiments have been run, it's nature. Do you not pay attention to the military and their decisions for combat? Have you not watched the TV programs that leave men and women to their devices to survive and how much different things turn out?

We're not the same, we think categorically different, we're physically different, evolution has dictated primordial traits in men for survival and ingenuity that women did not need to possess.

No we are not the same, but we can enjoy the same things. Sad to see you are so prejudiced against women for some reason.

Dunki

Because this also should prepare you for the Real World and the Real World is not being separated

No we are not the same, but we can enjoy the same things. Sad to see you are so prejudiced against women for some reason.
I'm not prejudiced, this isn't a slight at women, I'm simply acting like a real human being and have the cognitive function to understand that we're inherently different. It's people who try to hide the fact that we have these differences and act overtly PC as to not offend are the ones with the real problems.

Last edited:

Dunki

You're right, I vote for joined showers in high school lockers!

It's a joke
Here is the joke.

If unisex locker roons and bathrooms werde intriduced to you as little child and if you realize that nudity is something totally normal. I had no problems with this. But Germany or east Germany is also the country of FKK so....

ROMhack

Kinda off-topic but I had a seminar leader last year who tried to push his political values - literally saying International Men's Day was a waste of time - to a classroom full of rich middle-class Chinese students. It was a particular eye-opener for me and sort of reminds me of the way journalists often miss the point when dictating social issues to people who probably just aren't really as bothered about things as they are.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I am learning all kinds of new terms through these next-gen reviews of today.

If you are so intensely busy and looking with a magnifying glass to find that one line or that one asset in the game that may be interpreted as anything else but neutral, then you may want to question why you review games. Last time i checked, Games were about fun, not about ''Lets see how many currently politically problematic things i can find in a game!'' and lets make up new terms to describe these (Heteronormative, what?).

A clear miss here.

I don't have a problem with the writer's criticism. At the same time, I don't read PC Gamer, so I have no clue whether its audience is looking for that manner of critique.

My question is whether the majority of people visiting larger video game media sites are looking for such modern social-agenda driven opinions and criticism in the content they view? Too often, I'll read news or reviews from some of the larger websites and wonder whether its writers are being actively instructed to try and comment on topics related to today's social unease. I find it all very off-putting, but I guess it generates clicks, both good and bad.

lock2k

Banned
Heteronormative is one of those words I can't stand. It's such pretentious bullshit.

In this list of words I would also like to add:

- Cis
- Empowerment
- Toxic
- Queer
- Woke

MMaRsu

Banned
I'm not prejudiced, this isn't a slight at women, I'm simply acting like a real human being and have the cognitive function to understand that we're inherently different. It's people who try to hide the fact that we have these differences and act overtly PC as to not offend are the ones with the real problems.

Yes we are different. All the things you listed are only negative things. You do have a prejudice, it's obvious.

It's cool though, you do you man. Get yourself seperated from all those whiny females.

Last edited:
Yes we are different. All the things you listed are only negative things. You do have a prejudice, it's obvious.

It's cool though, you do you man. Get yourself seperated from all those whiny females.
Of course I'm going to list negative things as reasons why it would negatively impact something I'm advocating for.

Zaffo

Here is the joke.

If unisex locker roons and bathrooms werde intriduced to you as little child and if you realize that nudity is something totally normal. I had no problems with this. But Germany or east Germany is also the country of FKK so....

I'm now siding with the guys calling for a reality ceck, you can normalize nudity to small kids as much as you want, and that would be fine since small kids don't have strong hormone driven sexual hurges, but when puberty hits... that's a whole different story.

Are you ok with your 12yr old daughter coming home pregnant from a shared shower playdate? I mean some some hundreds of years ago it was actually socially acceptable to be pregnant at such a early age, but nowdays in most civilized countries, accidental teen pregnancy doesn't really fly.

MMaRsu

Banned
in general girls can't keep up, girls get emotional, girls don't like getting dirty, girls are whiny, girls are less physically productive and capable, girls are less ingenuitive, girls need specialized attention etc. It neuters the whole experience, it drags everything down

this isn't a slight at women

giphy.gif

Heteronormative is one of those words I can't stand. It's such pretentious bullshit.

In this list of words I would also like to add:

- Cis
- Empowerment
- Toxic
- Queer
- Woke

In an age of gender fluidity it seems like cis designation is necessary though, in some contexts?

RedVIper

Banned

You can list negative things about men too, they're agressive and over competitive for example, this would be an issue for the girl scout too, I honestly don't care but wtv.

This should be on a diferent thread.

In the world I used to live, instead of cis we used "normal" or "regular", but it seems like it's offensive nowadays.
Yeah, I don't care about offending people, it's still normal. I don't need to conform to the delusions and indoctrinations of others because they suddenly started getting offended by everything and dismantling our social fabric 6 years ago.

Last edited:
Top Bottom