• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer criticizes RimWorld for being too "heteronormative".

MMaRsu

Banned
boys; they're agressive and over competitive for example

And isn't that something that they try to curb in scouting? I would hope so lol

As much as I would assume that if a girl in scouting is constantly crying, cant keep up etc. They would try to curb that too. Teach her how not to use her tears but to use it as a strength for instance.

I have no clue, I've never been in Scouting. I just assume that's what would ( and should ) happen.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
This is one of those arguments that pops up and it's ultimately untrue because it relies on a fallacy that if x is mostly y then y is mostly x. The truth is that while most of the most powerful people are men, but most men are not powerful. Further, I'd argue that the second fallacy where the sins of the father must be transferred to the son kicks in, as while men were more powerful than women in the past, this has never been less true than it is today. I think we both know that a woman raised in a rich family will have more power and vastly better life chances than a man born into a poor family due to better social connections, schooling, etc. The power differences are from class, not gender.

A lot of power differences are from class, but class isn't an equalizer. It doesn't change how we perceive unfair treatment of women when it comes to sexual and physical abuse and what we "as a nation" is the women's role in the family. I do agree though that things are changes alot and more than ever before.

lock2k

Banned
Yeah, I don't care about offending people, it's still normal. I don't need to conform to the delusions and indoctrinations of others because they suddenly started getting offended by everything 6 years ago.

I also don't care about it, I'm just being a little playful with my words lol

To me the term is still normal.

Zaffo

And isn't that something that they try to curb in scouting? I would hope so lol

Turn the aggression and competitive spirit into something productive? yes.
Curb it out? HELL NO.

That's the core of what's wrong with this whole sjw movement, you are not supposed to neuter what makes boys, boys and girls, girls for the sake of equality or whatever.
People are different, that's something to be cherished not stomped into the ground so we can say that everyone is equally good at every task.

MMaRsu

Banned
Turn the aggression and competitive spirit into something productive? yes.
Curb it out? HELL NO.

That's the core of what's wrong with this whole sjw movement, you are not supposed to neuter what makes boys, boys and girls, girls for the sake of equality or whatever.
People are different, that's something to be cherished not stomped into the ground so we can say that everyone is equally good at every task.

Being agressive is what makes a boy a boy? hmmk dude.

SJW movement.. for fucks sake mate. We are having a normal discussion, can you even discuss something without bringing up the SJW shebang? It's a bunch of nonsense.

By curbing it I meant the first example of what you said, not eradicate it. There is nothing wrong with friendly competition. There is something wrong with punching someone because he won first place. I hope you catch my drift.

Not everyone is equally good at every task, that has nothing to do with what I said though. I never claimed any different.

lock2k

Banned

SJW movement.. for fucks sake mate. We are having a normal discussion, can you even discuss something without bringing up the SJW shebang? It's a bunch of nonsense.

By curbing it I meant the first example of what you said, not eradicate it. There is nothing wrong with friendly competition. There is something wrong with punching someone because he won first place. I hope you catch my drift.

Not everyone is equally good at every task, that has nothing to do with what I said though. I never claimed any different.

I think that what he means is that there is positive aggressiveness and negative aggressiveness.

I really like to listen to, and play, metal. It's a way to channel my aggressiveness in a positive way. Martial arts is another way, sports, etc. :)

Zaffo

It's not what makes a boy a boy, but unless we are disproving our biological forms a boy comes with aggression inducing hormones, and there is nothing to do about that but turn that aggression into something usefull.

Dunki

It is offensive, because you are saying anyone that isn't a cis-male or cis-female is not normal or regular.
That is why you call it straight. CIS is mostly or almost used in way of derogatory language and in a negative context. Given the current climate I would put it on par with the N word without the history

Last edited:
It is offensive, because you are saying anyone that isn't a cis-male or cis-female is not normal or regular.

Yeah I mean I think the term cis is usedul just out of common courtesy.
It's not what makes a boy a boy, but unless we are disproving our biological forms a boy comes with aggression inducing hormones, and there is nothing to do about that but turn that aggression into something usefull.

I’m actually still hoping you can clarify that “12 year old sex romp impregnating shower play date” mentioned in your earlier post?

Also, I know plenty of “SJWs” who don’t want to neuter anybody. That comment seemed disingenuous

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
That is why you call it straight. CIS is mostly or almost used in way of derogatory language and in a negative context. Given the current climate I would put it on par with the N word without the history

Nah it isn't really. It's just a way to define someone that isn't Trans. It's possible that people have used it in an offensive way though and that's wrong. and the "N" word? Come on bruh you not even trying anymore.

RedVIper

Banned

You do know normal just means you know, norm, the standard, typical. A deviation of that is, by definition, not normal, just because you have a negative connotation with that is not anyone's fault.
Everyone wants so badly to be different but saying they're not normal is offensive, somehow.

Last edited:
So you just hate the English language then? Check!
cosby2.png

Zaffo

I’m actually still hoping you can clarify that 12 year old sex romp impregnating shower play date mentioned in your earlier post?

I don't get what there is to clarify?
Once kids hits puberty a whole lots of things happen, including an explosion of sexual libido especially for male kids, and since it's not socially acceptable right now to have schools filled with teen mothers, we separate the places where sexual mishaps could happen like showers and locker rooms.

MMaRsu

Banned
You do know normal just means you know, norm, the standard, typical. A deviation of that is, by definition, not normal, just because you have a negative connotation with that is not anyone's fault.
Everyone wants so badly to be different but saying they're not normal is offensive, somehow.

Yup this is truth. Straight IS normal. There is nothing wrong with that.

It's also not wrong if you aren't straight. But it's not the norm. So in that way it's not 'normal'.

MMaRsu

Banned
I don't get what there is to clarify?
Once kids hits puberty a whole lots of things happen, including an explosion of sexual libido especially for male kids, and since it's not socially acceptable right now to have schools filled with teen mothers, we separate the places where sexual mishaps could happen like showers and locker rooms.

Showers shouldnt be mixed ever, and they never are, anywhere in the world in schools as far as I know.

A mixed shower party never happens, and I doubt it will ever happen. 10-12 year olds don't do mixed shower parties.

Yup this is truth. Straight IS normal. There is nothing wrong with that.

It's also not wrong if you aren't straight. But it's not the norm. So in that way it's not 'normal'.

When it comes to professional environments there’s no way people could get away with saying “normal man” and “abnormal man.”

Hence why the term cis is useful in some contexts

Last edited:

Zaffo

Showers shouldnt be mixed ever, and they never are, anywhere in the world in schools as far as I know.

A mixed shower party never happens, and I doubt it will ever happen. 10-12 year olds don't do mixed shower parties.

That's what i was saying, in response to this guy:

Here is the joke.

If unisex locker roons and bathrooms werde intriduced to you as little child and if you realize that nudity is something totally normal. I had no problems with this. But Germany or east Germany is also the country of FKK so....

MMaRsu

Banned
When it comes to professional environments there’s no way people could get away with saying “normal man” and “abnormal man.”

Hence why the term cis is useful in some contexts

Well in professional enviroments outside the US I don't think they'd have much of an issue. I've never come across anyone even saying the word -cis-male or cis-female in The Netherlands.

petran79

Banned

That word is exclusive to English language gender studies for the time being and I do not think it will adopted by the mainstream. Eg cisgender gay and cisgender lesbian will make things even more confusing.
Add also gender neutral, biphobia, outing, coming out, ftm, mtf, heteronormativity (term criticised by J. Butler), intersex, questioning and so many other terms that are still created.

Just knowing that transgender is different to transsexual should suffice.

Well in professional enviroments outside the US I don't think they'd have much of an issue. I've never come across anyone even saying the word -cis-male or cis-female in The Netherlands.

Normal people don't speak this nonsense. This is reduced to internet warriors who live in a bubble of social offense.

wolgoen

That’s actually a word?

Het....
Heteron....
Heteronofjibgdhcrbjjs.

Ah sod it, can’t even pronounce it, let alone have any idea what it means.

Yes. You know everything about everyone.

In my PERSONAL experience in PROFESSIONAL environments, not ever a single person has spoken this funny neo-language that a group of interest is so invested in spreading over the internet. Of course, if the job is related to this activism, they will use it at large, but most "people from the street" are absolutely unaware of this kind of stuff. Even if politicians try to push it down our throats on their speeches, most people don't buy it for there is something called "language economy" keeping languages as simple as possible, not this kind of convoluted ideas that already had a word to define them.

I understand that the first step for manipulation is language control but this has completely gotten out of hand and became a meme already.

lock2k

Banned

Exactly.

Also, I have a gay parent and I still refer to myself as normal because being majority = norm and all that jazz. Nothing wrong with that.

lock2k

Banned
That word is exclusive to English language gender studies for the time being and I do not think it will adopted by the mainstream. Eg cisgender gay and cisgender lesbian will make things even more confusing.
Add also gender neutral, biphobia, outing, coming out, ftm, mtf, heteronormativity (term criticised by J. Butler), intersex, questioning and so many other terms that are still created.

Just knowing that transgender is different to transsexual should suffice.

Not exclusive to English.

This nonsense has arrived in Brazil with the terms transgênero and cisgênero and only the woke use these words.

Exactly.

Also, I have a gay parent and I still refer to myself as normal because being majority = norm and all that jazz. Nothing wrong with that.

How people talk in their homes is usually a little different than how people communicate with non-family in public.

This isn’t even a big deal. Not sure why I keep going back to it.

mckmas8808

Banned

Normal and different are two totally different things. Having red hair is normal. Being left handed is normal. But having red hair and seperately being left handed are both things that are rare relative to having black or brown hair or just being right handed. Does that make sense?
If this is English I guess I like Old English better.

Language is made to evolve. Nobody speaks that old English from the 1300s anymore.

lock2k

Banned
Normal and different are two totally different things. Having red hair is normal. Being left handed is normal. But having red hair and seperately being left handed are both things that are rare relative to having black or brown hair or just being right handed. Does that make sense?

Language is made to evolve. Nobody speaks that old English from the 1300s anymore.

Then call me Pikachu because I don't want this evolution ;)

That's not evolution, that's turning everything into uneducated tribe speak.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
Is it the same PCGamer from the 90's-00's or it is a new site, abreviated for PoliticallyCorrectGamer that I'm unaware of?

RedVIper

Banned

Yes normal and different are indeed different, who would have thought.

Being left handed is not normal, it happens to a small percentage of the population, there's a gene associated with it, and it's been studied over the years, some as far has having different brains than right handed people, it's associated with mental illness, etc etc.

It's fine to be different, but it isn't normal.

mckmas8808

Banned
That's not evolution, that's turning everything into uneducated tribe speak.

Dude....lol. Words like 'fam' is just short for family.

Yes normal and different are indeed different, who would have thought.

Being left handed is not normal, it happens to a small percentage of the population, there's a gene associated with it, and it's been studied over the years, some as far has having different brains than right handed people, it's associated with mental illness, etc etc.

It's fine to be different, but it isn't normal.

Hold on.........you telling me you think being left-handed is a mental illness?

Toecutter

Just want to add that what Rock Paper Shotgun did was particularly scummy, in that they decompiled the source code and applied their own interpretation to the resulting symbols. That, and the editor's defence of it, led me to eventually dropping it as a daily read (I didn't end up doing it completely until the bloody awful redesign!)

While PC Gamer didn't do anything near as bad as that, it's still disappointing to see them putting out the same type of criticisms. If you're arguing that a game, while trying to be inclusive, isn't being inclusive enough, you should probably take a good look at yourself...

They could've at least pointed out that RimWorld is highly moddable - the trans community themselves can add to the game however they like without the developer trying to ham-fistedly speak for them.

MMaRsu

Banned
Dude....lol. Words like 'fam' is just short for family.

A quick google does suggest there are studies linking left handedness to mental ilnesses like schizophrenia

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/mental-are-left-handedness-and-psychosis-linked-110713#1

https://news.yale.edu/2013/10/31/left-handed-people-more-likely-have-mental-disorders-schizophrenia

Don't know how much of it is true or how many studies are on this subject, this was a quick google.

RedVIper

Banned

Huh? I said the gene that makes people be left handed has been linked with mental illnesses, like schizophrenia, not that being left handed is a mental illness. but nice leap of logic.
All I said is that being left handed is not the norm.

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
If heteronormativity is used to describe the view that heterosexuality is the standard case, then I do not see how it is an issue, as that is a pretty clear biological fact. Enforcing gender stereotypes and treating homosexual or transgender people as worse people is clearly harmful, but merely treating heterosexuality as the standard property? I don't get it.

It’s absolutely fascinating what tangents these “Gaming as a backdrop but basically stealth political statement” threads go.

Some of them are obvious. You know right away where it will end up, like the OW Gay Character thread(s), those only go one direction and always end up in the same place.

This one has been interesting and a little more unpredictable.

I’m not criticizing at all. Genuinely something I take note of day to day. Yeah I’m pretty boring.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
If heteronormativity is used to describe the view that heterosexuality is the standard case, then I do not see how it is an issue, as that is a pretty clear biological fact. Enforcing gender stereotypes and treating homosexual or transgender people as worse people is clearly harmful, but merely treating heterosexuality as the standard property? I don't get it.

Well if you look at her tweets about men, you can see there is a very clear and strange bias against men. So maybe she doesnt like straight men since they 'harass' her a lot ( read;approach and flirt with her)

Top Bottom