• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer: The Uncertain Future of Games Like Deus Ex and Dishonored

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see the need for doom and gloom. In the span of just over a year, we've had Deus Ex, Prey, Dishonored 2, and an upcoming standalone Dishonored 2 expansion. As a lover of vent-crawlers, this is an embarrassment of riches. What other time has been so active for the genre? I think these games have proven a market exists for immersive sims, even if the market is out of step with expected financial returns from traditional AAA publishers. The genre may go on to live at the scale of System Shock 3 or crowdfunded games like Consortium. I think that's okay.

There are developers out there with talent and passion for making dense immersive sims. There are fans out there willing to pay for immersive sims. Something will happen, just maybe not on the scale of a title five years in development at one of the largest publishers in the world.
The tenets of the immersive sim have also spread their roots into the overall medium as a whole as well; look at BoTW or the promises of the upcoming Assassin's Creed, among other games big and small

Another game to keep an eye on is Copper Dreams. It's a cyberpunk CRPG, but it has a lot of immersive sim DNA

Mifec

I think they just need to try a different angle. Instead of relying on hub worlds these action RPGs (I refuse to call them immersive sims) should sell themselves as open world action games like the latest Far Cries, the Arkham games or even Bethesda titles like Skyrim and Fallout 4. I think they'll be much more popular this way.

Why do you refuse to call them immersive sims? Also nah making them fully open world would be terrible I'd rather they die out. It's impossible to expect the same quality of game design over an even larger area then we already have.

iiicon

The tenets of the immersive sim have also spread their roots into the overall medium as a whole as well; look at BoTW or the promises of the upcoming Assassin's Creed, among other games big and small

Another game to keep an eye on is Copper Dreams. It's a cyberpunk CRPG, but it has a lot of immersive sim DNA

Yep, agreed. There are other games as well like Observer or Tacoma that are immersive sim adjacent enough that I could easily see those developers making a smaller immersive sim in the future.

I hadn't heard of Copper Dreams before. Looks great! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I don't see the need for doom and gloom. In the span of just over a year, we've had Deus Ex, Prey, Dishonored 2, and an upcoming standalone Dishonored 2 expansion. As a lover of vent-crawlers, this is an embarrassment of riches. What other time has been so active for the genre? I think these games have proven a market exists for immersive sims, even if the market is out of step with expected financial returns from traditional AAA publishers. The genre may go on to live at the scale of System Shock 3 or crowdfunded games like Consortium. I think that's okay.

There are developers out there with talent and passion for making dense immersive sims. There are fans out there willing to pay for immersive sims. Something will happen, just maybe not on the scale of a title five years in development at one of the largest publishers in the world.

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? Sure those games released...but they were all sales failures. So much so that Deus Ex has already been put on ice, and it is the same for Prey by all accounts. Dishonored is on borrowed time IMO. Not sure there will be another one after the expansion anytime soon. I'm VERY curious what game will be Arkane's next.

So yeah, the point is that the embarrassment of riches was an embrassment in sales. Which bodes horribly for future AAA immersive sims.

It's pretty obvious, isn't it? Sure those games released...but they were all sales failures. So much so that Deus Ex has already been put on ice, and it is the same for Prey by all accounts. Dishonored is on borrowed time IMO. Not sure there will be another one after the expansion anytime soon. I'm VERY curious what game will be Arkane's next.
It wouldn't surprise me if we saw another Dishonored in the next few years. Harvey Smith stated at E3 that the series is on track to continue, noting that the current story arc will be wrapped with next month's Death of the Outsider.

I agree that another Prey is unlikely at this point.

Bydobob

Article lacks a bit of context. What about the costs? Raw sales figures only tell half the story. The assumption is that all these games made losses, but it would be nice to get the full picture.

All three of those games looked like stuff I had already played. That's why I didn't get them anyway. I did play the DH2 demo out of curiosity.

As much as I love the "immersive sim" I actually think there's a lot of truth to this.

vocab

MKD was rushed, and had marketing that hurt the games image. I personally thought MKD was too front loaded with side quests, and the pacing of the first 14 hours of gameplay were dreadful.

These types of games underperform because they are treated like shit. Either you get a game full of bullshit like Mankind Divided or you get games pretty much sent to die with awful release dates and almost zero marketing like Dishonored or Prey, no shit they'll do badly when you tell people about them and their first reaction is more often than not "wait that's out already?"

Prey did poorly because it released like a buggy mess. You can't argue something like "mankind divided is full of bullshit" and then in the same breath argue that a game like Prey was sent to die because of "awful release dates and zero marketing" when the game was highly criticized for releasing broken.

Didn't Prey and DE receive pretty mixed reviews?

For this kind of game, I think reviews are pretty important. I myself didn't buy a single one out of those 3, even though I'm a big Deus Ex and SS2 fan.

Ivellios

I think that's just a consequence of how the game is designed. It's not an RPG where you regularly make decisions as part of your adventure. Your killcount is the biggest indicator of how you're approaching the story.

And that in turn hurts the gameplay imo, i dont like this design of gameplay having so much influence in the story personally. Just let me play whoever i want, with choices like assassinate the target or incapacitate him influence the ending.

It's such a fucking shame.

All of them are outstanding games too, I bought them all and I would be sad to see them go.

Especially Dishonored, love this franchise to death.

It's a shame, since all were solid.

I don't think the case is easily made that the market has tired of the genre.

Dishonored 2 released close to FFXV, CoD and Watch Dogs 2, and had a buggy PC release that resulted in awful press. Prey has crap PR and performance issues.

Mankind Divided was really solid, but has the whole pre-order bullshit and was a lightning rod for anti-microtransaction PR.

Here's hoping System Shock 3 gets the hype it deserves and Spector delivers. If not, we're fucked.

Edit: just saw that SS3 is being developed by Starbreeze.I'd missed that. Great potential there.

Still, this was an amazing year for immersive sims.

iiicon

So yeah, the point is that the embarrassment of riches was an embrassment in sales. Which bodes horribly for future AAA immersive sims.

One series launches and gets three games and a likely fourth. Another series relaunches and gets two games. A third series launches and gets a modest-selling, well-reviewed title. While all of this is happening, several indie immersive sims go into development, and ideas/mechanics central to immersive sims begin to popular the biggest games and genres out there. This all sounds very healthy.

I think this idea that immersive sims are dead is too focused on the state of Deus Ex specifically and ignores the wider context. Which, I mean, I get it. I love Deus Ex. I am a Mankind Divided apologist. But imo we're prematurely writing the obituary for a genre because the most visible name is now dormant.

One series launches and gets three games and a likely fourth. Another series relaunches and gets two games. A third series launches and gets a modest-selling, well-reviewed title. While all of this is happening, several indie immersive sims go into development, and ideas/mechanics central to immersive sims begin to popular the biggest games and genres out there. This all sounds very healthy.

We're talking about the past year or so. The genre started out strong with its resurgence last gen, but the point is it's starting to die in the AAA space. All 3 AAA immersive sim games launched in the past year were sales failures. Deus Ex is dead. Prey is dead. Dishonored 2 underperformed. Nothing healthy about that.

NoPiece

Even though Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2, and Prey were all really good, Human Revolution and Dishonored were better games. It was hard not to walk away from the last batch of immersive sims feeling somewhere between disappointed and satisfied, but not excited. They all had lukewarm word of mouth, and the most passionate immersive sims fans didn't seem to get behind them, which might have helped build some momentum.

I was only surprised by Deus Ex not making sales projections but that was only because I figured fans would look past the terrible marketing and pre release dehype to support the franchise. There's a bunch of reasons people turned a cold shoulder to the sequel and those have mostly been highlighted already. Primarily, despite the negative press coming from their mechanical apartheid bs, the biggest issue I feel was it failed to show the improvements from the sequel people were hoping to see after 5 years.

Switching to Dishonored for a moment, I think that game had the problem of looking exactly like the first which I'm not sure was as widely received as this forum makes it out to be. The first game had the benefit of releasing during the resurgence of immersive sims and played itself up as an Assassins Creed in first person with godlike powers, and that worked for a time. But I'm not sure the wider public were all that impressed with it outside the choice given to the player to mix and link powerful abilities. It seemed to me there's little depth to it beyond giving the player unique ways to murder people. Perhaps people thought the game looked shallow despite the complexities in the power systems and saw the same in the sequel. Or maybe it's the opposite, the systems looked overly complex just to kill guards with swords, and seemed intimidating to play. I dunno, that's just my perception based on not playing either, but I don't think they did anything egregiously wrong with its release date or marketing. Unless that's not a fair perception of the games in which case they failed to present it otherwise to me.

This may be controversial but I think the recent Deus Ex s also have issues with the depth of their immersive sim systems. Too much of the emergent gameplay of the new games are telegraphed, obvious, or artificially restricted which makes them less interesting. Oh, you want the emergent gameplay path to that locked room? Just unlock the correct aug to get there. I think that's what people wanted to see was improved in the sequel (on top of better level design and refined mechanics) and instead they got sold promises of DLC and hair physics with the same obsession of angelic imagery, which lessened enthusiasm at release. And in the end the final game falls far short of the original in emergent gameplay, hence the lukewarm reception.

Prey sabotaged itself from the initial pitch to the release. Steal a modestly known IP with metric shittons of baggage among the hardcore to sell a modern day System Shock while aping Bioshocks art style but without the action chops or interesting antagonists of either.. People were so beside themselves with the baggage of the Prey IP and how much it looked like Bioshock they could barely talk about how boring the enemies were. It was a mind numbingly obvious setup for disaster. Everyone involved should be embarrassed for not seeing that outcome coming.

stn

Shame about both, they're amazing games. I didn't realize it took them five years to make the sequel to DX, that's definitely too long. The average gamer will probably forget by then.

I'm saddened that Deus Ex is dead, but I'm sure Dishonored and Prey have their places. After all, The Evil Within got a sequel and it had way more mixed reception and sales.

Then again it was a new IP...

Mooreberg

I loved Mankind Divided, but Square completely mishandled it (kinda like ROTR and Hitman). You can't delay a game six months into the shadow of a hype machine like No Man's Sky and pretend that the initial marketing budget will cover it.

It was following in the steps of System Shock which had a very similar structure. Of the immersive sim pantheon only Thief and Deus Ex had a hub structure (in the case if the latter the hubs weren't large and were segmented).

???

lSyJZOG_d.jpg

The System Shock games had very Metroidvania-ish level design, with sprawling levels and lots of backtracking between floors and such. BioShock is extremely linear in comparison.

Even though Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2, and Prey were all really good, Human Revolution and Dishonored were better games. It was hard not to walk away from the last batch of immersive sims feeling somewhere between disappointed and satisfied, but not excited. They all had lukewarm word of mouth, and the most passionate immersive sims fans didn't seem to get behind them, which might have helped build some momentum.

Couldn't disagree more. In fact, this thread and its earlier incarnation prove that plenty of fans were behind these titles. Publishers sent them out with some combination of marketing D-teams or terrible release dates pitted against bigger, and much more mainstream, IP.

Switching to Dishonored for a moment, I think that game had the problem of looking exactly like the first which I'm not sure was as widely received as this forum makes it out to be. The first game had the benefit of releasing during the resurgence of immersive sims and played itself up as an Assassins Creed in first person with godlike powers, and that worked for a time. But I'm not sure the wider public were all that impressed with it outside the choice given to the player to mix and link powerful abilities. It seemed to me there's little depth to it beyond giving the player unique ways to murder people. Perhaps people thought the game looked shallow despite the complexities in the power systems and saw the same in the sequel. Or maybe it's the opposite, the systems looked overly complex just to kill guards with swords, and seemed intimidating to play. I dunno, that's just my perception based on not playing either, but I don't think they did anything egregiously wrong with its release date or marketing. Unless that's not a fair perception of the games in which case they failed to present it otherwise to me...

my $.02: i gave dishonored a good shot (several hours), &, while i really enjoyed the environment & lore, I dicovered that i just can't do first-person stealth. which pretty much wrecked the whole thing for me. really wish more games allowed you to go from first-person to third-person :) ...

NoPiece

Couldn't disagree more. In fact, this thread and its earlier incarnation prove that plenty of fans were behind these titles. Publishers sent them out with some combination of marketing D-teams or terrible release dates pitted against bigger, and much more mainstream, IP.

The thread reflects passion for the genre, more than the recent batch of games. I get no sense that many fans thought Dishonored 2 or Mankind Divided were more well liked than their predecessors. Review scores reflect that as well, dropping from low 90s to 80s. Again, they were good games, but not enough forward movement. They weren't the generational upgrades you might hope for given the console cycle.

tuxfool

Banned
???

lSyJZOG_d.jpg

The System Shock games had very Metroidvania-ish level design, with sprawling levels and lots of backtracking between floors and such. BioShock is extremely linear in comparison.

Yeah, It's been a long time since I played them. I'd forgotten how extensively you backtracked.

By my reckoning Prey was the best of the bunch, but yeah I'm quite concerned that the genre is going into deep freeze again.

Current steam figures -
  • Mankind Divided - 700k
  • Dishonored 2 - 850k
  • Prey - 370k

Dishonored 2 is getting a DLC soon, but it feels like Prey might be toast right out the gate.
Fuck, didn't know Prey was that bad. I thought it sold fairly well during the Steam summer sale.

Capra

my $.02: i gave dishonored a good shot (several hours), &, while i really enjoyed the environment & lore, I dicovered that i just can't do first-person stealth. which pretty much wrecked the whole thing for me. really wish more games allowed you to go from first-person to third-person :) ...

I haven't played Dishonored yet and I don't want to single you out or anything but as someone who considers Thief 1+2 to be the definitive stealth games this saddens me. There's a layer of tension and uncertainty to first-person stealth that lends itself so well to the atmosphere those games carried. While limiting the player's ability to see their surroundings, Looking Glass compensated by focusing even greater attention to their use of sound, making floor types with differing footstep volumes a mechanic and forcing the player to determine guard positioning by the sounds they made. I'm playing Prey at the moment and it definitely gives me some of the same vibes I got from Thief and System Shock 2 in that regard - there's a tension to stealth-ing around while a Typhon prowls that a game with more visual-based situational awareness like MGS just can't match for me personally.

First-person stealth has so much potential. It'd be great to see what games could do if they approached it with the technology we have today - Hellblade's use of binaural audio comes to mind.

horkrux

I am playing it right now, and god this is such a great rendition of Deus Ex. I don't care if they had to split the overarching plot in two. In a game like this, the larger plot (Illuminati shenanigans) is at best just icing on the cake, and often just forgettable. I mean, how many Deus Ex 1 players remember the exact conflict between the Illuminati, Majestic 12 and the people involved? That's just stuff you read about in a few emails or books. It's completely in your head.

I think it's the complete opposite. Almost everything that happens in Deus Ex 1 is tied to a conspiracy theory. There's like no way you play this game and not think about this stuff constantly, unless you actively refuse to do so or convinced yourself it's not important.
Of course the game is also about its gameplay and exploration, but Illuminati, MJ12 etc. were deeply ingrained into the formula.

This isn't how I felt about HR though, but that game had a different focus ("looka here - everyone has augs now! wow! looksie cool architecture! future is now") and it also served to keep me interested in the world.
MD has none of this sadly. Just its stupid Apartheid/Aug Lives Matter crap. Gameplay was great however and Prague was a nice hub.

Fishook

The game market has moved on. The game market is not a single monolithic entity, and the segment publishers are most interested in are those that will pay $60 for a game on release month. That is a VERY different market from the casual gamer who may buy 1-2 of those MSRP games a year, but will more often than not buy a game when it goes on deep discount sales. That person can be counted on to buy Overwatch, GTA 5, Destiny 2, Call of Duty, Madden, etc but NOT smaller games like Deus Ex, Dishonored, Hitman, Prey, etc for full MSRP.

Combine that with the fact that more people now play "games as a service" and play them for a LONG ASS time. Why would I want to play a new game when 100% of my gaming time is used up with PUBG, an MMO, Destiny 1/2, COD, Battlefield, Uncharted 4 MP, Forza Horizon 3, etc? Your game has to be something that I NEED TO PLAY RIGHT NOW (that feeling) in order to get me to shell over $60, and stuff like the smaller SP games I listed above isn't gonna make the cut for a lot of people.

I think the single player game market has to split into two tiers now: the AAA budget game that makes a nearly flawless game for a LOT of money and expects to sell 5m+ copies, OR the game that has a very modest $20m or less budget and expects to sell 1m or fewer copies. The middle ground of a 3-5m copies sold in the first 30 days is shrinking and a lot of multiplayer games are going to take it over.

This is 100% spot on, I have got to have a least one single player story focused game in my play list, The genre will be focused around kickstarter games like CRPG's which I am find about. I have little interest in the so called popular games as do have the time to commit to games as a service especially the multi player focused titles.

The thread reflects passion for the genre, more than the recent batch of games. I get no sense that many fans thought Dishonored 2 or Mankind Divided were more well liked than their predecessors. Review scores reflect that as well, dropping from low 90s to 80s. Again, they were good games, but not enough forward movement. They weren't the generational upgrades you might hope for given the console cycle.

It's kind of mixed on MD, but D2 is considered to be an all around improvement from the first game, many of the reviews even state such.

Mivey

I think it's the complete opposite. Almost everything that happens in Deus Ex 1 is tied to a conspiracy theory. There's like no way you play this game and not think about this stuff constantly, unless you actively refuse to do so or convinced yourself it's not important.
Of course the game is also about its gameplay and exploration, but Illuminati, MJ12 etc. were deeply ingrained into the formula.

This isn't how I felt about HR though, but that game had a different focus ("looka here - everyone has augs now! wow! looksie cool architecture! future is now") and it also served to keep me interested in the world.
MD has none of this sadly. Just its stupid Apartheid/Aug Lives Matter crap. Gameplay was great however and Prague was a nice hub.
It has it's own radio station that gives you kinda-true, kinda-exaggerated (or not?!) conspiracy takes on everything that happened so far. I think the point about the treatment of Augs is that it is a possible precursor how the rest of humanity will be treated/controlled. Which ties directly to a conspiracy.
So saying there is "none" of that is not true. It's just that it doesn't get to become important yet, since the larger resolution to Jensen's task is left open. Which I understand, can bother some people. But to the point of straight up not playing such a great game? That's insanity, at least for anyone claiming to be a fan of Deus Ex.

These types of games underperform because they are treated like shit. Either you get a game full of bullshit like Mankind Divided or you get games pretty much sent to die with awful release dates and almost zero marketing like Dishonored or Prey, no shit they'll do badly when you tell people about them and their first reaction is more often than not "wait that's out already?"

+1. Prey is one of the best games of the year and it was sent to die, and Mankind Divided was a toppled over port-a-potty.

MaLDo

By my reckoning Prey was the best of the bunch, but yeah I'm quite concerned that the genre is going into deep freeze again.

Current steam figures -
  • Mankind Divided - 700k
  • Dishonored 2 - 850k
  • Prey - 370k

Dishonored 2 is getting a DLC soon, but it feels like Prey might be toast right out the gate.

Technical problems of Dishonored 2 affected Prey sales. That's how it works. And now controller support on PC has been removed in patch 1.05. I mean, the technical part is more important than what they think it is. Performance problems are a big factor in sales. And they rush games to the market like fools.

Curufinwe

Dishonored is the worst at this, basically forcing you to play the most unfun way as possible by holding the "good" ending hostage with your killcount.

The "good" ending is just a different ending, and you can watch it on YouTube so it is not being held hostage.

One of the best things about Dishonored is that you can play it in two very different styles are both are enjoyable.

Wanderer5

I hope the best for Arkane. They have shot up among the developers that I love, having really enjoyed Dishonored 2 and Prey this gen. It is sad that Prey has been underpreforming in particular, but doesn't really feel that surprising.

Sygma

I'm not going to claim that's what killed sales (chances are it's statistically irrelvant in the grand scheme) but I know what killed my excitement when these games were released:
they all came with Denuvo.

As I already said in a previous occasion (while praising Prey, incidentally) I'm not firmly into a "I'LL BOYCOTT ANYTHING WITH DENUVO IN!" mindset, but I won't deny that its existence is enough to turn me off from anything that I don't perceive as an absolute must buy.
I see Denuvo, I see a game that goes immediately from "Oh yes, I want to try this!" to "Uh. Maybe in few months, at a lower price. Unless they remove it before".

Back to these three games, more specifically, I have no excuses for Prey, but I know that the word of mouth for both Mankind Divided and Dishonored 2 hasn't been exactly flattering at first. rumors of performance issues, excessive hardware demands, an unfulfilling and incomplete ending, etc.

Accurate. Also each of these three games had terrible performances at launch. Still not solved for dis 2 and deus ex

KingV

IMO there's just so many good to great games coming out nowadays that everyone is picking and choosing.

The market is very competitive, and nobody has time to play everything. There are games that I really want to play that I'm waiting for $20 or less, for no other reason than I have a whole bunch of other games I want to play that I've had in my backlog for over a year.

NoPiece

It's kind of mixed on MD, but D2 is considered to be an all around improvement from the first game, many of the reviews even state such.

I agree in an objective sense, they are better: better looking, more abilities, bigger levels, etc.. They benefited from the long gap between their initial release, and the new console cycle and extra hardware power. They suffer though, from being more of the same, just slightly improved. Which wasn't enough to push them above their predecessors, and one of the reasons they didn't provoke a passionate response.

Look at the gaf GOTY voting, which is a self selected group of serious gamers. Human Revolution was 4 in 2011, Dishonored was 5 in 2012, Mankind Divided was 14, Dishonored 2 was 15 in 2016. That's not a marketing fail, that's a sign the games slipped behind the curve of top tier games.

RedSwirl

Those games are inherently relatively linear story-focused games. Their main selling point is great level design and world-building. That's all stuff that's very hard to advertise in today's market dominated by service-games and online features. I don't think immersive sims were ever destined for mainstream sales. How do you sell the average GTA or COD gamer on Prey?

I think Sony is almost the only chance for a Thief/Prey/Dishonored/Deus Ex game to succeed again in the AAA sector. Sony seems to be the only huge publisher left that cares about linear story-focused games, outside of Bethesda. Outside of that I think you're gonna have three things:

1) Massive AAA open-world games that inherent some immersive sim elements. Skyrim, Breath of the Wild, Far Cry (what it's supposed to be anyway), etc.

2) Kickstarter-tier games like the System Shock remake, System Shock 3, and Underworld Ascendant. Don't know if those are gonna keep going after those games though.

3) Smaller indie games. A lot of today's first-person indie games already evoke immersive sim elements. Minecraft might be the biggest example which is how it trickled into the mainstream through BOTW. A few indies are trying to do actual immersive sims but so far they're pretty small and tend to have graphics not that far removed from Deus Ex 1. I think for small indie developers to keep doing they may have to be like Thief and have a more narrow gameplay focus instead of doing Deus Ex's kitchen sink approach.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I agree in an objective sense, they are better: better looking, more abilities, bigger levels, etc.. They benefited from the long gap between their initial release, and the new console cycle and extra hardware power. They suffer though, from being more of the same, just slightly improved. Which wasn't enough to push them above their predecessors, and one of the reasons they didn't provoke a passionate response.

Look at the gaf GOTY voting, which is a self selected group of serious gamers. Human Revolution was 4 in 2011, Dishonored was 5 in 2012, Mankind Divided was 14, Dishonored 2 was 15 in 2016. That's not a marketing fail, that's a sign the games slipped behind the curve of top tier games.

I don't get the "more of the same" criticism when the genre is pretty starved and the releases are as far apart as they are. If I can play two stealth-action games a year I'm happy, and we're not really seeing a saturation.

Nick_C

Current steam figures -
  • Mankind Divided - 700k
  • Dishonored 2 - 850k
  • Prey - 370k

I own 2 copies of Mankind Divided (PC/PS4) and 2 copies of Dishonored 2 (XBO/PC). I'm also one of the 370k that bought Prey on PC.

As a massive fan of Dishonored 1, I was very disappointed in Dishonored 2 for numerous reasons and Prey's combat was just underwhelming and awkward (even the bizzare viewmodel positions). They all have brilliant things about them though.

Kayhan

Lets put microtransactions and pre-order bonuses front and center in a game aimed at the most discerning hardcore PC gamers.......

Great plan, guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom