• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer writer wants to quit multiplayer because...Battle Passes exist.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I love the battle passes in cod. 100000% better than the paid map packs they used to do. I never bought a single cod map pack. But throwing in $10 one time and being able to use ingame earned currency to buy the rest? Awesome.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't remember any of that in CS, UT, Quake 3, Tribes, CoD 1-4, SWAT 4, ET, etc.
Let me refresh your memory:

This is how it was done back in the PS360 days before games went free to play. $15-$20 for new multiplayer maps was the thing when DLC first became a thing.

SomeGit

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Why are you refreshing my memory to a 2012 game, when my point is that none of that existed before 2007? Maybe you are too young to remember.
You responded to me saying that you don't remember a thing that clearly happened. Where did your reply to me mention 2007 at all? If none of it existing prior to 2007 was your point then that's the point you should have made.

SomeGit

You responded to me saying that you don't remember a thing that clearly happened. Where did your reply to me mention 2007 at all? If none of it existing prior to 2007 was your point then that's the point you should have made.
That point was made when all those games are from 2007 and before, again maybe you are too young to remember.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
This is the most beautiful thread backfire I've seen on GAF in a long time. Kudos to you all and fuck Battle Passes

I mean no offense when I say this.

Y'all have been Scooby Doo'd. Your mask is off. Your grift is up. The police officer is putting you in the back seat and you're still shouting "Thread backfire! Down with Battle Passes!"

There is a selection of delusional, fearful SP gamers and they've all flocked to this thread like a moth to flame.

Thread backfire? No.
Thready booby trap? Yes!

498a037a7a88069b0f7693813a1e73a1.gif

No one is "scared" of battle passes. They are just tired of greedy cunts trying to sell a "complete" game with less content while demanding more money for content that was previously part of the base release. Doesn't matter its form, whether it is loot boxes, MTX, or Battle Passes - it fucking sucks. Stop shilling for shitty companies.

People like you need to get over it. Pretty much anything you can buy follows the paradigm of pay more = better product/experience. Like do you complain that the car you bought is incomplete when you see blank spaces on the dash?

If Destiny 2s season passes didn’t expire I would play the game more. But knowing I have to complete them in X amount of time makes me say fuck it, and I will never buy one of their seasons again.

Last edited:

Aenima

Shes right though. Battle Passes can fuck off out of games. Its designed to prey on FOMO. You pay upfront and dont even garantee u to get the rewards from the battle pass unless u put the extra effort to unlock it.

Wanna monetize ur F2P crap, just straight sell cosmetics, and stop using psychological tactics to trap player in ur game. The gameplay should be the only thing that roped players to the game, not shit like Battle Passes.

Elitro

I'll provide my very simplistic and naive view on the matter.
I had never played OW2 before because i'm usually not a big fan of shooters. However, since the game went f2p i had the opportunity to try it out and really enjoyed playing it.
Does having to grind the hero sucks? Yeah, but at least i had fun doing it. For me it was an improvement.
I didn't buy the first BP and i'm not buying the second, the skins are not for the heroes i enjoy. It matters 0 to me 🤷‍♂️

acidagfc

Don't you worry, Blizzard will make you want to leave single-player games too. There is a battle pass in Diablo 4 and premium version preoders include level skip for that pass. Disgusting.

Last edited:

Supple

Banned
I quit multiplayer games over 10 years ago. Not because of battle passes but because of the people who play online.

People like you need to get over it. Pretty much anything you can buy follows the paradigm of pay more = better product/experience. Like do you complain that the car you bought is incomplete when you see blank spaces on the dash?

Never bought a car that was missing "blank spaces" on the dashboard. Try again. Also use a comparison that actually makes sense (you can't because there aren't any, stop shilling for shitty companies).

Last edited:

Fbh

For me personally is a matter of immersion. Imagine reading a book, immersed in its world and characters, only to suddenly have a line right in the middle of it saying "You can know more about this character's backstory by buying our spin off book for only 9.99!"

Sure you can ignore it, you dont have to buy that spin off, you might not even like that character. But these elements highlight to you a grim nature of that product, that it doesn't exist because someone thought it was beautiful, interesting or entertaining, but because a faceless company wants sell you a life-style that constantly needs to make money off of you.

In short, it turns something that should've been fun and made you forget the worries of life into a reminder of things utterly depressing.

I can agree with this when it comes to single player or story heavy games.

But competitive multiplayer games to me are more like a "game" or "sport" than a book. I dont really care about the world or story or characters, I'm purely there for the competitive gameplay. So I dont feel Im missing out if my character doesn't have a unique look. That's specially true for first person games where you don't even see your character 95% of the time.

To go back to the book analogy I guess it's like the cosmetic parts of the book that I don't really care about. I dont need the fancy limited edition signed hard cover, as long as the actual content of the book is the same I'm fine with the regular edition

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Wanna monetize ur F2P crap,
don't. just make people pay for the game like every self respecting game dev
if your game is well made people will happily shell out 20, 30, 40, 50, hell even 70 bucks to play it. look at world of warcraft, it had a monthly sub in its prime and it did gangbusters. Same for Guild Wars 2. there are countless multiplayer games with big playerbases that don't need to be F2P to get by
F2P is nothing more than a pathetic tactic companies use when their games are not up to par, see Halo Infinite for how well that goes.
cut the microtransaction cosmetics crap, if you want to make a little more money on the side maybe consider releasing an expansion

Last edited:

flying_sq

The only battle pass I intereact with is COD, I just don't like it because they lock weapons behind grinding on it. I don't like or play Warzone or DMZ, so it gets frustrating having to just grind for tons of hours to unlock a gun or two. I'd prefer just some weapon challenges to unlock it. I am kind of interested for season 2 of the new COD battle pass. After years of off and on playing, and getting screwed by Blizzard keeping COD points platform specific, I finally have enough points to purchase a battle pass for free. So I'll probably check it out.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
hey, yknow, meth is optional too. It doesn't even impact your life. Why don't you try some?

Why equate Battle Passes with meth when you can equate it to clothing at a store in the mall?

Spoiler: Because you have no argument. This is just "Everything I don't like is Hitler" logic.

SP gamer, I can see you from a mile away.

Last edited:

nikos

I personally like battle passes.

I'm either given stuff for playing a game I'd be playing anyway, or given a reason to play a game I may have got tired of if there wasn't anything to earn.

All for the price of two cookies every few months.

Last edited:
Why equate Battle Passes with meth when you can equate it to clothing at a store in the mall?

Spoiler: Because you have no argument. This is just "Everything I don't like is Hitler" logic.

SP gamer, I can see you from a mile away.

Is that your argument? Anyone who dares criticize battle passes are "single player gamers" like that is a bad thing? Seek help you delusional fanboy.

gothmog

Gold Member
I can't stand battle passes because except for a small handful of games they do it wrong. Not generous enough and they usually become more of a distraction than a fun multiplier.

I also really hate feeling like a wallet to be shaken out regularly rather than a gamer. Let me pay up front and avoid this shit.

nkarafo

How does this at all affect you tho? You can just, you know, not buy the optional content and move on.
What most "its optional" arguments always forget is that this optional content affects the whole design and balance of games, doesn't matter if you buy it or not.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Y'all are weirding me out, you either like playing a game for what it is or you don't. If you care so much about 'batman doing the floss emote #6' over playing the actual game, you should find a different hobby.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Battle passes are fine, especially so
What most "its optional" arguments always forget is that this optional content affects the whole design and balance of games, doesn't matter if you buy it or not.
I keep hearing this argument, and perhaps I'm wrong, but I can't think of many tangible examples of how this "design and balance" issue manifests as something detrimental to the core experience. The game is what it is, and I'd argue that it has good value for money as is. Everything else is optional and affects near to no one that isn't interested in spending more money. At worst you're temporarily losing early access to a couple of weapons, mostly all else is about cosmetics.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
If you care so much about 'batman doing the floss emote #6' over playing the actual game, you should find a different hobby.

I don't like mobile phone gaming, but I'm not gonna run up to my wife, pull her phone out of her hands and tell her to take up knitting instead. If she's happy, I'm happy. I'm not into it myself but caring about "floss emote #6" is fine, it affects no one else

Last edited:

Madflavor

I don't play PvP games anymore these days. One reason is obviously Battle Pass nonsense, but the other reason is that I'm just too old for this shit now. Between my wife, son, job, and home owning responsibilities, when it's time to sit down and relax to play video games, I want to have fun. Getting competetive and heated with people online, cursed at, told to kill myself, have 12 year olds "Ha Ha!" at me as they kick my ass, it's not my idea of a good time. I was gaming back when online completive play was becoming popular. PvP in Diablo 2, Starcraft, Socom 2, Halo, Counter-Strike, you name it. Back in the late 90s and 2000s, online play was the wild west. If you think people online are mean today, it was brutal back then, but more accepted. But to be honest I think that's part of why I've had my fill of PvP. I've been in the trenches already, I've seen and heard some shit, I've had more hours of extreme frustration than I can count. I've paid my dues.

But now we live in a time where other players can get the edge over me by paying for upgrades instead of earning them. Such as a shameless time we live in.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Is that your argument? Anyone who dares criticize battle passes are "single player gamers" like that is a bad thing? Seek help you delusional fanboy.

No I welcome criticism and other viewpoints, but I'm looking for something a bit better than "The pink dress on BP lvl 47 is like methamphetamine."

soft-kobe-bryant.gif

The virtues of the Battle Pass far exceed its drawbacks. It's the superior model.

No I welcome criticism and other viewpoints, but I'm looking for something a bit better than "The pink dress on BP lvl 47 is like methamphetamine."

soft-kobe-bryant.gif

The virtues of the Battle Pass far exceed its drawbacks. It's the superior model.

You only further prove my point. Gladly promoting anti-consumer tactics only because of your favorite little box. Everyone knows that if Xbox/MS were against BattlePasses you would not be trying to promote/defend them like you are doing now.

Top Bottom