• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gamers can now play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild in first-person mode

CyberPanda

Banned
As we’ve already reported, PC gamers can enjoy the latest Zelda game, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, via the Nintendo WiiU emulator, CEMU. The game runs in glorious 60fps and a new mod has been released for it, enabling a first-person camera viewpoint.

This mod allows a first-person viewpoint but switches to third-person when fighting or climbing. This was done in order to make it easier to fight multiple opponents and climb rocks or other places. Still, players can freely switch to a first-person mode when fighting and the combat mechanics appear to be working perfectly in this new viewpoint.

It’s also worth noting that this mod comes with three FOV modes. DefaultFOV is the regular and recommended FOV for PC users whereas WiderFOV allows to see more around you (it tends to make objects in the distance more pixellated than the other options). Last but not least, NarrowerFOV allows to see less around you (it works best for PC users and allows the game to be less pixelated).

This is a truly amazing mod and we strongly suggest downloading it if you plan to play Breath of the Wild. Those interested can download the mod from here.

Have fun!

Looks pretty cool imo.

MagnesG

Banned
What do you hate about it if you don't me asking?
If I'm being honest, it's because I know most of those cemu players didn't even bought the game, rip it, then emulate the hell out of it. I have no comments on people enjoying it, though I appreciate their adoration for the game. Second is because I can't enjoy the mods lol, I have potato PCs and didn't have much plan on upgrading it.

I would love to see mods delving in on creating terrain or more character assets, quest sequences and such. I think this is the kind of game where having Skyrim-tier mods community is possible, and cemu community IMHO can be forgiven just for that lol.

CyberPanda

Banned
If I'm being honest, it's because I know most of those cemu players didn't even bought the game, rip it, then emulate the hell out of it. I have no comments on people enjoying it, though I appreciate their adoration for the game. Second is because I can't enjoy the mods lol, I have potato PCs and didn't have much plan on upgrading it.

I would love to see mods delving in on creating terrain or more character assets, quest sequences and such. I think this is the kind of game where having Skyrim-tier mods community is possible, and cemu community IMHO can be forgiven just for that lol.
Ah so you're concerned about the piracy aspect. Which is fair enough, and I'm sorry about your potato PC, but you don't plan to upgrade it because it's too expensive or?

And, I'm sure mods will like that will be created in the near future. The modding community in the PC gaming space is amazing.

Grinchy

Banned
That transition back to 3rd person is really nice. Definitely would want to see how well this works in VR considering how nicely a bunch of Dolphin emulated games worked.

Kazza

60fps, 4k, first-person perspective option - I love PC (although, there does still seem to be a lot of ugly vegetation pop-in).

I would be worried by the piracy aspect of emulating new games, but:
1. BOTW has already sold millions, so Nintendo are going to be fine
2. You still need a pretty beefy PC to play this (sure someone who has enough money to buy such a PC would also be willing to pay for the game, or maybe I'm being naive)

Kazza

A new VR video has been put up:

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild is now Playable in VR on PC using Cemu Emulator

While Dedicated VR Headsets are going to be supported in future, this is the best way I have found to experience this mode right now

Head tracking is done with Android Motion source combined with Cemuhook. The screen separation is done with ReShade in this video, then all video is streamed latency free using Nvidia Gamestream and the Moonlight Streaming App for Android.

The VR headset I am using is a VR Box 2.0, its a €25 box for VR when using Mobile devices & it works awesome for this kind of use in my opinion.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
that's cool but can't see myself using it. i have the game ripped from my wii u copy and my PC can handle it no problem but honestly i prefer playing it on Switch. yes the performance/graphics is nowhere near as good but it just feels right playing it on switch. that's the experience nintendo intended.

Reactions: Isa

petran79

Banned

The notion of player and tester is really mingled when it comes to emulation, especially on such a complex and unstable project. Instead of enjoying the game, here one focuses more on testing and detecting issues. Cemu does not even feature save states for that matter.
One reason I never use emulation for long story driven games but just for short arcade ports. Only exception is the Dreamcast, because I still have the hardware and avoid dc emulation

I am not sure emulation would reach such an advanced state if it was a requirement to own the game before testing and providing feedback. It would be illegal too to distribute your game to testers. Relying on unofficial means is probably the most convenient manner.

Regarding piracy, It would be far better and more stable to mod a Wii U or Switch and play the game there, either legally or not. Cemu requires a decent PC with a good cpu and gpu to enjoy fully anyway

petran79

Banned
Care to elaborate? A lot of emu are very stable.

Usually save states are incompatible with newer versions. They save a lot of time compared to save points, especially during boss encounters.

Also any emulator like rcps3 that raises cpu usage to 70% percent on an i7 nevertheless and for a long time, makes me uneasy. One reason I'ld never play P5 via emulation. Feel system will fry with such games.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Usually save states are incompatible with newer versions. They save a lot of time compared to save points, especially during boss encounters.

Also any emulator like rcps3 that raises cpu usage to 70% percent on an i7 nevertheless and for a long time, makes me uneasy. One reason I'ld never play P5 via emulation. Feel system will fry with such games.
I wouldn't be worried if your temps are within reasonable range.

I don't see much point in it, unless you want to virtually lick a Gerudo's abs.

The game plays really well as a 3rd person game, so I don't really see a point in ever using 1st person in this game.

Still waiting to see a Covenant Needler mod show up in this now though.

Shifty

That's pretty neat.

If nothing else it might open the doors for a potential PC VR implementation, since VR BoTW via Labo is now an official thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom