• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Games: "Sequel to one of the best and most thrilling games of 2011"...

Anarkin

... in the next issue.

i5Vb8G4VRITXG.jpg

It's not world exclusive, so the game will be announced earlier.

Lime

I can't wait to see how Witcher 3 looks.

I hope the publisher thing won't impact the game negatively. At least there'll be multiplayer, I guess.

I'm curious about what platform Witcher 3 will be on. Other than PC, of course.

They said after Witcher 2 that their next games would be next-gen:

"We are definitely starting for new consoles," managing director Adam Badowski told us, when asked whether the pair of known-about "AAA+" games will be for this generation or the next.

Also said they are targeting simultanious release:

"It will be multi-platform game, so the multi-release at the same time. But if you are talking about leading platform, we will use most powerful, just because it can give us the freedom of creation.

Source.

Sentenza

I can't wait to see how Witcher 3 looks.
I don't expect it to look massively improved over TW2 graphically (that wouldn't be a realistic expectation).
That said, I'm way more curious about how they changed (and hopefully improved) game mechanics and world design.

Lime

I don't expect it to look massively improved over TW2 graphically (that wouldn't be a realistic expectation).
That said, I'm way more curious about how they changed (and hopefully improved) game mechanics and world design.

I wasn't talking about visual improvements, as Witcher 2 already looks gorgeous. I just can't wait to see more of the same visuals like TW2 :p

UrbanRats

It's a next gen title and they said they're using the Cyberpunk CGi trailer as a target render for it (cyberpunk2077) so i think between that in 2015/2016 and The Witcher 2 in 2011, there is plenty of room in which Witcher 3 could sit its ass.

Anarkin

It's a next gen title and they said they're using the Cyberpunk CGi trailer as a target render for it (cyberpunk2077) so i think between that in 2015/2016 and The Witcher 2 in 2011, there is plenty of room in which Witcher 3 could sit its ass.

They also said RPGs should look better than shooters.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm curious about what platform Witcher 3 will be on. Other than PC, of course.

I'm more curious to see if they'll continue to push a little further into becoming a console oriented dev and streamline 3 even further than 2. Open world rumors are not a good start.

Sentenza

Open world rumors are not a good start.
Actually they are.
The less "cinematic and story-driven", the better.

People that want linear "interactive movies" because "they play mostly for the story" should rent a movie or go for stuff like The Last of Us or Beyond.

Derrick01

Banned
Actually they are.

Who's to say they won't do that in open world? All it takes is doing what GTA 3 did, slap some mission markers and then cutscene. What open world usually encourages, at least nowadays, is lazy world design and mission design. Shake the can full of various map icons and pour it all over the map without regard to...well, anything. Balance, creativity, making side stuff that isn't busywork.

Also after how these first 2 games went you can forget about it not being story driven. You may as well forget about this game now if that's what you're worried about. There's too much political stuff unfolding and then you have Geralt's personal story progressing too.

Open-world Witcher does not sound like an inherently bad thing.

I imagine it's just taking the area split that Witcher 2 had and just stitching those areas together. Probably dark magic or something keeping you from going places too early.

Sentenza

Who's to say they won't do that in open world?
I'm not saying "they are not going to".
I'm saying that going for a more open environment is a step in the right direction. Not necessarily enough to make it good, but a good start for sure.

What open world usually encourages, at least nowadays, is lazy world design and mission design.
Just because most developers seem to have lost the talent to build decent open worlds, that doesn't mean that an open world is *necessarily* lacking.
What's even more relevant, when you throw it out of the window because "it's hard to do right" you already lost this challenge before even trying.
A RPG that present itself as a completely linear and self-confined experience for the sake of "improving on cinematic presentation" is already a failure in principle.

It's baffling how people like you seem to think there's an actually dichotomy between "good story" and "freedom" when all the best RPGs in history -especially in the past- used to offer both things to a better degree than most modern games.

Also after how these first 2 games went you can forget about it not being story driven. You may as well forget about this game now if that's what you're worried about. There's too much political stuff unfolding and then you have Geralt's personal story progressing too.
Which is completely irrelevant, as you can deliver this kind of content even in an open and non-linear fashion.
Ultima VII had one of the most open and highly interactive worlds in gaming and yet it was extremely heavy in story content and had an insane amount of unique NPCs with unique dialogues.

Who's to say they won't do that in open world? All it takes is doing what GTA 3 did, slap some mission markers and then cutscene. What open world usually encourages, at least nowadays, is lazy world design and mission design. Shake the can full of various map icons and pour it all over the map without regard to...well, anything. Balance, creativity, making side stuff that isn't busywork.

Yeah I think open world approach will hurt this game more than it will benefit. I still prefer open hubs over just a general open world.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm not saying "they are not going to".
I'm saying that going for a more open environment is a step in the right direction. Not necessarily enough to make it good, but a good start for sure.

Just because most developers seem to have lost the talent to build decent open worlds, that doesn't mean that an open world is *necessarily* lacking.
What's even more relevant, when you throw it out of the window because "it's hard to do right" you already lost this challenge before even trying.
A RPG that present itself as a completely linear and self-confined experience for the sake of "improving on cinematic presentation" is already a failure in principle.

It's baffling how people like you seem to think there's an actually dichotomy between "good story" and "freedom" when all the best RPGs in history -especially in the past- used to offer both things to a better degree than most modern games.

Which is completely irrelevant, as you can deliver this kind of content even in an open and non-linear fashion.
Ultima VII had one of the most open and highly interactive worlds in gaming and yet it was extremely heavy in story content and had an insane amount of unique NPCs with unique dialogues.

My question to you is what makes you think CD Projekt is so special to do things that only games that came out decades ago did in this day and age? If anything their most recent game should have you questioning if they're able to do any of that.

Hindle

Banned
I'm thinking they will take influence from Zelda and have all the hubs connected to one big over world. Similar to Hyrule field in OOT. I'd be fine with that.

Sentenza

My question to you is what makes you think CD Projekt is so special to do things that only games that came out decades ago did in this day and age? If anything their most recent game should have you questioning if they're able to do any of that.
I don't think they are. In fact there are many things I didn't like about both The Witcher games.
I'm specifically saying that they should learn to. It's not even that hard: just stop taking Mass Effect as your inspiration model and start using Gothic 2/Risen instead.
Piranha Bytes world design plus CDPR production value would make for some god-tier stuff.

OR they could do as you suggest, not even try because "it's hard", and so fail before they even started.

lumzi23

Actually they are.

People that want linear "interactive movies" because "they play mostly for the story" should rent a movie or go for stuff like The Last of Us or Beyond.

I personally go for a compromise. Sort of like a Bioware game or Eeus Ex or something like that where you have a choice of how the story goes; a story told in an interactive way. I have yet to play an open world game I have enjoyed truly, just like I am so over the perfectly linear thing.

"Freedom but with focus" is what I want.

Sentenza

"Freedom but with focus" is what I want.
Oh, I agree. That's the point I was making, that's how you make a good open game.

I just disagree on taking Bioware as a model of how to do this right.
As I said, stuff like those old Origin or Piranha Bytes games are far better models.
Also, Fallout 2, if you want another good example of how freedom can match finely designed content.

Translation
i5Vb8G4VRITXG.jpg

Preview
Top Secret!

Look forward to our next issue: We are going to reveal, Germany-exclusive, the sequel to one of the most enthralling and best games of the year 2011. Have fun speculating!
Looking at good PC exclusives with a possible unannounced sequel it's almost certainly Witcher 3

Nairume

Banned
Open-world Witcher does not sound like an inherently bad thing.
The Witcher has a really great universe, and I'm honestly glad that we might be able to actually get to explore it for a change, instead of only getting to see bits and pieces of it all.

Geralt fighting his way across fractured fairy tales in an open world setting sounds like one of the best ideas ever, and I pity anybody that is too jaded to have fun with the concept. It's a good thing that CDPR is the best at what they do, so whatever they do is going to be great.

You can't do good story driven game with meaningfull choices and consequences in open world since the cost would be prohibitive.

Top Bottom