• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC gaming can really be infuriating.....

Skifi28

I've been playing mostly on PS5/Switch these past few months, but I always come back for some sweet PC gaming and this was the weekend to do so and catch up on some older games from my backlog. Boy, did this not go as planned:

Alice 2: Madness Returns
Couldn't even get past the activation phase. It requires an EA account but my Origin one doesn't work. Then it asks for the product key but it says my PC is offline before I can enter it. Looking at the steam forum I'm not alone...I'm sure there's a fix around or I could just crack it, but I kinda gave up for now, let's move on to something else....

Dragon Age 2
Surprisingly it works, but there's some sort of weird visual glitch where scenery in the distance and blood on the ground and my character disappears and reappears, pretty distracting. I thought I solved it playing with the settings but it's still there. Gotta hunt for a fix later, but all that tweaking took me out of the mood for now. Let's see what else there is to play.

American Truck Sim
The game itself works great as always but.....I installed it again after a few months and my juicy 50 hour save......is gone. I didn't bother backing it up locally because it was supposed to be on the steam cloud, but it's not......Yay. Not starting up again from scratch, let's move on.

Metal Gear Rising
What could possibly go wrong here? It seems to run great at first, yet something feels really off, the camera is very jerky. For whatever reason it caps at 59fps instead of 60. Sounds like something minor, but boy does it feel fucking annoying. Again I'm not alone looking at the steam forums. I tried locking it in Nvidia control panel with no luck, not sure I can be bothered any further, it seems to be a bug that doesn't happen to everyone, goodbye for now.

Sebastian Loeb Rally
Had tons of stuttering at first. Fixed it by disabling in-game Vsync and enabling it from nVidia control panel. Good so far, but yet another issue arises. The game seems to have problems with input devices. Half the times I start the game up, the controller doesn't work during races. Need to close the game and start it again hoping it will work this time. About 50 /50 chances I'd say. looking around, it seems you need to disable as many input devices on your PC as you can....Yeah, as if.

Jade Empire
Old release, I was expecting issues but it's much worse. The game downright doesn't start. Apparently the default .exe steam uses is wrong and you need to run it from inside the game folder from a different .exe. Whatever, I've seen worse today. Game rans at 60fps, yet it feels like 15, completely unplayable. Looking around once again, of course it's not just me. I found several fixes I had to apply to the .ini file but nothing worked for me. After an hour I gave up.

Sunset Overdrive
You can imagine I was pretty pissed at this point so I thought I'd go with a recent game with an even more recent PC port. Surely this will work? The game greets me with a screen saying my save is corrupted...yet it's my first time installing it, what save? "Let's move on" I said. Created a new save file and it runs great at 60fps maxed out and I find myself having a good time, finally. 15 minutes later it crashes. "Surely it's just a coincidence" I thought as I started it back up. Again greeted by a screen about a corrupted save, though my save is there and it works. 10 minutes later crashes again. I found an alleged fix on the steam forum, yet I don't even have the energy to try it at this point.

This isn't an exaggeration for comedic effect, this truly happened today. I've lost 5 hours of my weekend doing nothing, so you realise I had to vent. I'm not looking for fixes in the replies, I'm sure they are out there but I can't even be bothered at this point. I think the most infuriating part is thinking of people on forums like this, saying how everything just works on PC these days. SOME stuff might, but wer'e not quite there yet. I'm sure there'll be the usual "it's your PC dude the games are fine" and to be fair my gaming PC is getting pretty old, but most of the above issues are game specific as they seem to be shared by many people. There are several games I don't have any issues with, but having to roll dice every time you buy something is just wrong.

Anyway, if you made it this far into this rant thanks and I hope you had better luck than me today.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Only ones I’ve played on pc were metal gear and dragon age 2 and didn’t have any issues but that was years ago. Maybe hardware compatibility issues might have creeped up since then.

lots of new games have micro stuttering problems (hit destiny not to long and even outriders was a shit show) so I feel your pain.

GHG

Gold Member
Well...

"it's your PC dude the games are fine"

If even your save files are getting corrupted on your system then it should come as no surprise that other shit is going to be fucked up as well.

If your PC is old I'd suggest getting a new Sata SSD and then doing a clean install of windows on that. Then try running some games off that drive and see how it goes.

Skifi28

If even your save files are getting corrupted on your system then it should come as no surprise that other shit is going to be fucked up as well.
A steam cloud issue isn't really my save getting corrupted though. As for susnet Overdrive, you can see on the steam forum right on the first page that many people report the same issue. I didn't even have a save for it to be corrupted as I started the game today for the first time and it was the first screen to greet me.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Even though I've spent a good chunk of my day playing a Dark Souls Overhaul that completely changes the feel of the game and my most played game of all time is Skyrim because of the mods that are available on PC, it's undeniable that sometimes I just want to sit down at a console and just have it work.

To be fair, if you hadn’t spent more time trying to get the PC to run the games optimally without issues for longer than playing the games themselves, it wouldn’t be PC gaming.

Road Trip Journey GIF by CBS

Kuranghi

Metal Gear Rising
What could possibly go wrong here? It seems to run great at first, yet something feels really off, the camera is very jerky. For whatever reason it caps at 59fps instead of 60. Sounds like something minor, but boy does it feel fucking annoying. Again I'm not alone looking at the steam forums. I tried locking it in Nvidia control panel with no luck, not sure I can be bothered any further, it seems to be a bug that doesn't happen to everyone, goodbye for now.

Exact same issue for me and I really really wanted to play it, but put on backburner for now. Its something to do with HDMI output apparently, initially it would lock to 24hz through HDMI output (lol wtf?) and not allow resolutions over 1080p (Or maybe 1440p, not 100% sure, but nothing above that without ini editing/external tools anyway).

Part of the way the devs "fixed" the 24hz issue was what introduced this 59hz issue afaik, where you have a microstutter every few seconds like you said. I never went back to it to try RTSS scanline-sync + fps caps with it but I believe its an internal issue so that probably won't solve it.

Its the kind of game that I need to be buttery smooth, its such a visual feast I won't tolerate constant stuttering.

"That... s it Rai... den, sp... lit it wid... e ope... n!":

Ehh no thanks pal.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

yeah that part of pcgaming always has me dreaming of consoles. And then I get to consoles and I miss pcgaming and the 144hz and m/k and sitting right in front of the screen and surfing in between playing games and the speed at downloading stuff etc.

But I do remember, after being a pcgamer for a long time, getting a Gamecube a few years after it launched for $99 plus MarioKart plus coupons for a discount on a choice of another game and, man, being so impressed with how polished the game was out of the box and how polished and simple the experience was. and it was $99 only !!!! and supposedly the GC was a dead system by then and horrible. :)

From then on, I have done both - Nintendo and pc. And I have dabbled on PS and Xbox. But pretty much settled on Nintendo and pc. I did get a PS5 but sold it after playing it for a week. People wanted to pay way more than I paid for it and ...never quite felt like the PS/Xbox console experience was as enjoyable as the pc. I also never wanted to have all the systems. GEts a little pricey, takes up a lot of room and it's just too much crap. So I have to make some choices.

But that doesn't stop me from always dreaming of the perfect machine for me. Which would probably be something more like a Mac where there is only 1 model released per year Something that is flexible like a pc but way more standardized like a console.

Last edited:

Skifi28

To be fair, if you hadn’t spent more time trying to get the PC to run the games optimally without issues for longer than playing the games themselves, it wouldn’t be PC gaming.
I know that quite well as I've been building and playing on PC for 20 years (though not as much lately) and I realise I was just a little more unlucky than usual today. Yet every time there's a PC gaming topic there's this notion that everything just works these days and people have never had any issues. I just don't buy it.

MOTM

Banned
PC gaming is so yuck to me. Have no interest in tinkering in menus to try to get the best performance, bugs because of launchers/files/drivers, things not working because of some other non-gaming related PC setting etc. And all that for the friendly price of £2000.

I just want to sit on the couch, turn on the machine, then instantly proceed to have fun.

sunnysideup

Banned
The thing i hate about pc is the shitty framerates..or i mean framepacing.

Soooo many pc games have small stutters, hitches and shit. I hate it.

Also i fucking hate how almost no games have a settings demo, where you can test the settings without playing the game.. Why do i have to play the actual game to test the settings? It totally destroys the experience if you have to go in and out of menus the for first 2 hours to test optimal settings.

All pc games should have a settings demo that is slightly more demanding than the actual game so you can set the graphics and lock the framerate where its smooth.

Last edited:

Vol5

I recently gave up on PC gaming tbh. The build aspect is killer and a lot of fun, but when games have to try to accommodate literally millions of different combinations of hardware this is the outcome. Messing with ini files and permissions and AV and this and that...I don't have time for that fight anymore. I might re-visit when PS5 / XBX start to show their age.

Hahaha yes. I'm an oldschool PC gamer. Had to buy a console a few years ago because it got too maddening.

Mostly for me it is controller issues. I don't know why. Sometimes Steam will just decide to move system files, and my controller stops working. Sometimes it just randomly switches all the buttons around. It is fucking obnoxious.

Then there are the games that just stop working. Dark Souls 2 was like that for me. One day it just stopped working. Won't boot anymore. No console game has ever just stopped working.

Ended up buying a console for the convenience. Best decision I have made in years.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
A steam cloud issue isn't really my save getting corrupted though. As for susnet Overdrive, you can see on the steam forum right on the first page that many people report the same issue. I didn't even have a save for it to be corrupted as I started the game today for the first time and it was the first screen to greet me.

The Sunset Overdrive issue is odd.

Are you sure you've never played it before on that system? Not even on a different store (steam or MS store)?

Anyway, nobody will ever say there are no issues, but for me personally most of the time things work as expected rather than not. This forum is a bit of a console bubble though so you're going to get a load of people agreeing with you. I'll take the odd hassle over not having any control and never being able to fix or workaround performance issues on consoles.

I will say though, the older your PC is the more likely you are to run into issues.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

PC gaming is so yuck to me. Have no interest in tinkering in menus to try to get the best performance, bugs because of launchers/files/drivers, things not working because of some other non-gaming related PC setting etc. And all that for the friendly price of £2000.

I just want to sit on the couch, turn on the machine, then instantly proceed to have fun.

The thing is, and I don't mean to sound like a prick here, is that most of these issues will not be noticed by 95% of people. So you wouldn't even think anyone was wrong I'd bet, like with the MG:Rising example. Most people don't notice it and just love the game.

I mean you still can't just turn it on and jump in probably, but if you have £2000 of recent HW (ie last 4-5 years) and are gaming at 1080p/1440p@60 then you can whack almost all games to max settings at that res and play and it will be perfect.

Its just when you try running stuff at 1440p+@120 or 4K@60 that you will need to tweak settings, unless you have a 3090 or something like that. Thats every game so I'm accounting for the badly scaling stuff and really demanding games there, because my point is you don't need to tweak ever with this HW level, you just set everything to max and go, okay maybe and turn off AA if it says MSAA or SSAA but thats it.

Once you see how a PC version of game (Example: Jedi Fallen Order) looks at 4K60, or 1440p120 + max settings (vs. even PS5/XSX console settings) you'll do a hot jazz. Its like you've taken a pair of winter tights off your TV you never knew were there.

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
The thing i hate about pc is the shitty framerates..or i mean framepacing.

Soooo many pc games have small stutters, hitches and shit. I hate it.

Also i fucking hate how almost no games have a settings demo, where you can test the settings without playing the game.. Why do i have to play the actual game to test the settings? It totally destroys the experience if you play the first go in and out of menus the first 2 hours to test optimal settings.

All pc games should have a settings demo that is slightly more demanding than the actual game so you can set the graphics and lock the framerate where its smooth.
If you are stuttering it's your pc struggling.
Turn down the settings.

Hezekiah

Banned

It really isn't difficult at all to amend performance/graphics settings. Can take a few seconds to change global settings from low, medium, high, ultra etc.

Downloading drivers is the most basic of tasks.

Bugs are just as common in console games in my experience.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Pretty much the first half of that list was kind of at a time where unless the devs were specifically PC devs only, we got half-baked ports at best. Luckily, with the PC Gaming wiki you could probably find a solution to 90% of your issues that are typically very easy fixes usually just by editing a .ini file which is very easy to do and making backups should just be something you practice in general, PC gaming or not. PC gaming is a bit more work than console gaming but the rewards and benefits are substantially greater than consoles. Hell you can't even play 70% of those games on a modern console. Your issues with Metal Gear Rising and Sunset Overdrive seem specific to your self-admittedly "old" PC as well. Sunset Overdrive runs very well on most PC's(though it's annoying that you have to use a Hex Editor to get it to "kind of support" Ultra-Wide monitors) but I'm in an admittedly small group of people that use ultra-wide monitors so I'm not too annoyed as I can still fix my issue.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Your issues with Metal Gear Rising and Sunset Overdrive seem specific to your self-admittedly "old" PC as well.
Just checking the steam forums it really isn't just me. Both issues appear to be bugs from the game's side and many people experience them.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

If you are stuttering it's your pc struggling.
Turn down the settings.

While I do agree that will be the issue for many people, there are still games that just have unexplained by GPU/CPU/Disk usage frametime stutters (I don't mean asset loading, thats par for the course unfort) that mean you have to turn down everything to accomodate them when they happen and stop tearing/v-sync stutter but the fact that they can be severely lessened/solved by external sync solutions or fps capping surely means its more likely an engine/per game issue and little to do with usage.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Well, old-ass games may be somewhat troublesome to run properly on modern PCs, but at least that's a realistic option.
Which incidentally simply doesn't exist on modern consoles.

Also, can't really say any of my attempts to go back to old games ever gave me much of a trouble. Complication usually start at worst when I go hunting down mods to improve them.
Most of the games you have mentioned in particular work just fine for me.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Just checking the steam forums it really isn't just me. Both issues appear to be bugs from the game's side and many people experience them.

A quick Google search of that issue and there's a reddit thread where it's being discussed and there are indeed some potential fixes:

That really wasn't hard to find... Sometimes it comes down to whether you want to spend time having a moan/rant or whether you want to use that time to find a fix.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
agree with the OP , pc gaming is the best when it works but when it does not.....................

outer worlds= like the game but deleted it since i could not find a fix for the stutter , its really bad
dying light=i dont remember it having any stuters when i played it on my old build , now getting werid fps judder
no mans sky=fucking awful performance , texture pop in with stutter
had some stutter issues with death stranding but found a fix online so thankfully all hope is not lost

pasterpl

I am playing on gaming laptop with 32gb ram, i7 cpu, and gtx1080 with ssd, play games usually via gamepass app, 1 title on epic game store and lots via steam. Always have my drivers updated, and all system updates up to date. I don’t mod games if I don’t have to.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
That's the thing with bad things in general, people that are experiencing them tend to scream the loudest and just assume that everyone else is suffering through it, which in reality, most people just plain don't have the issues and don't go online to praise that a game runs well. Not to discredit your issues, but I'd bet you are in a very small circle of people that are experiencing it. Which I've had happen to me in the past.

I remember that Warhammer: End Times Vermintide ran AWFUL for me on release and it turns out that it was my very specific hardware set-up (cpu/gpu combo) that was the cause. Of course, it wasn't my fault as the devs should have accounted for my very relatively common setup at the time, and I think it was eventually fixed, but in annoyed me enough that I never went back to it. So I do understand how you feel and it can be frustrating that others will just say, "I've never had that problem."

But again, on a lot of those older games, just take the 10 minutes to browse the PC Gaming Wiki, ESPECIALLY if you are playing an older game and see what the common problems and fixes are. Do it first BEFORE you start playing an OLD game so you save yourself the headache.

It's not nearly as difficult to fix your own issues with a PC game as MOST console players will make it out to be, like I said earlier, it's typically usually just .ini edits which 98% of the time you can can just copy and paste into your .ini from the PC Gaming Wiki and mitigate your problems.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
think the most infuriating part is thinking of people on forums like this, saying how everything just works on PC these days. SOME stuff might, but wer'e not quite there yet.
Nah, it might not be "all", but it's definitely "most" instead of "some"; I don't recall the last time I had a real problem with a game on pc and mine is 7 years old.

edit: afaik the problems with mgr go away if you run it borderless/windowed.

Last edited:

Skifi28

A quick Google search of that issue and there's a reddit thread where it's being discussed and there are indeed some potential fixes:

That really wasn't hard to find...

As I said in the OP, I've already found a potential fix on the steam forums. I've just lost the will to play right now. I'm sure I'm going to try it again in a few days.

Then there are the games that just stop working. Dark Souls 2 was like that for me. One day it just stopped working. Won't boot anymore. No console game has ever just stopped working.
I've actually had this happen on both PS3 (Resonance of Fate, starting the game would lock the console) and Xbox 360 (King of Fighters XIII, black screen, then back to dashboard). Games worked fine, until one day they didn't.

Skifi28

That's the thing with bad things in general, people that are experiencing them tend to scream the loudest and just assume that everyone else is suffering through it, which in reality, most people just plain don't have the issues and don't go online to praise that a game runs well. Not to discredit your issues, but I'd bet you are in a very small circle of people that are experiencing it. Which I've had happen to me in the past, I remember that Warhammer: End Times Vermintide ran AWFUL for me on release and it turns out that it was my very specific hardware set-up (cpu/gpu combo) that was the cause. Of course, it wasn't my fault as the devs should have accounted for my very relatively common setup at the time, and I think it was eventually fixed, but in annoyed me enough that I never went back to it. So I do understand how you feel and it can be frustrating that others will just say, "I've never had that problem." But again, on a lot of those older games, just take the 10 minutes to browse the PC Gaming Wiki, ESPECIALLY if you are playing an older game and see what the common problems and fixes are. Do it first BEFORE you start playing an OLD game so you save yourself the headache. It's not nearly as difficult to fix your own issues with a PC game as MOST console players will make it out to be, like I said earlier, it's typically usually just .ini edits which 98% of the time you can can just copy and paste into your .ini from the PC Gaming Wiki and mitigate your problems.
I can accept issues with older games, but I have a much harder time with newer releases. I'm not even talking about performance which can be attributed to PC hardware. Sunset Overdrive is a 2018 game while Loeb Rally was released in 2016. I'd expect them to work out of the box and have their known bugs fixed, which clearly isn't the case. As for Jade Empire, as much as it is an older game, it was just released on steam. Don't developers have an obligation to make sure the damn thing works before collecting money? Maybe put a disclaimer on the store page? Even putting aside the issue with performance where I'm not alone, the game downright doesn't start by clicking the play button, it's broken by default for everyone as it's an .exe issue. The fix is easy enough, but it shouldn't be there for a new release.

It's nice that you can tinker on a PC and fix most issues yourself, but publishers / devs seem to use that to their advantage and not fix their own crap. That gets me really mad.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Nah, it might not be "all", but it's definitely "most" instead of "some"; I don't recall the last time I had a real problem with a game on pc and mine is 7 years old.

edit: afaik the problems with mgr go away if you run it borderless/windowed.

This is true, its an exclusive fullscreen issue afaik, but then you can't run it at 4K (the scaling is messed up, takes up 1/4 of the screen and rest is black) so I bailed on it.

I want my 4K60 damnit:

Sad Wah Wah GIF by Major League Soccer

Kuranghi

The good thing with older games that have issues like Batman Arkham Knight, which is demanding ofc but is also just badly coded, you can usually brute force through it with 2-3x more GPU power than should be needed. With modern games though that level of GPU doesn't exist yet so like with RE2 and 3 Remake you have to run at a much much lower resolutions (Like 1440p, down from 4K) for the whole game to maintain 60fps in the cutscenes/heavy spots when 90% of the game runs locked at 60 @ native 4K no problem.

The fluctuations are much less severe when you cap to 30 but its still a problem, as even to get locked 30fps at 4K on my GTX 1080 in RE2&3 Remake I had to have about 40% of GPU overhead just for those trouble spots, which unfortunately are the cutscenes generally.

There are still some spots in cutscenes (example in 2: as the trucker passes through the beam from his headlights and as the camera zooms in on the first zombie biting the guy in the gas station) involving close ups of volumetric light shafts/dynamic lights/heavy alpha effects that always cause frametime spikes and I'm not sure if its optimisation issues (too close to the effects at an ultra high res + high settings causes massive GPU load increase) or loading or what, but even when I had it "perfect" I still had these issues and I just had to accept it.

I wouldn't tolerate a single stutter when watching a film in the cinema or at home, I don't think games are any different, I don't want to ever even think about the framerate in a game, I want to be fully immersed for fudge sake.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Can we make a OT for people who notice this stuff, and want to work together to get everything buttery smooth, we can call it:

"The guys with the 6 million dollar eyes"

This will be our theme tune, replace "thots" with "frame-pacing/stutters":

edit - Jfc this music isn't good :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Skifi28

Can we make a OT for people who notice this stuff, and want to work together to get everything buttery smooth, we can call it:

"The guys with the 6 million dollar eyes"

And my eyesight is pretty horrible, imagine that. Boy, do I have a list with issues regarding stuttering or other similar problems that have annoyed me for years, some with no apparent fix.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I play death stranding 4k120, gsync, dlss etc etc on oled on pc... and yet pc gaming is still a nightmare :p
You kinda have to be deep in pc gaming to love it and hate at the same time...

RedVIper

Banned
Sometimes I wonder what all these people who have to mess with INI files to get their games to work are doing wrong.

The only time I have issues with PC gaming is when I decide to mod games and that's just self inflicted at that point.

Kuranghi

And my eyesight is pretty horrible, imagine that. Boy, do I have a list with issues regarding stuttering or other similar problems that have annoyed me for years, some with no apparent fix.

Well I guess its more a temporal issues than a spatial one so blurry vision wouldn't affect your ability to see it.

I'll look into making that thread, I want it to be good, like a gaint PC Performance thread of old. The REee perf threads mostly suck now because most of the people in them have no idea what they are doing so you can't share knowledge. No offence to them, everyone has different priorities but it makes it hard to cross reference issues to see if its on your end or the games.

PM me just now with list of games that cause you issues and I'll let you know if I played them, if I encountered the issue and if I was able to fix it.

Kuranghi

Sometimes I wonder what all these people who have to mess with INI files to get their games to work are doing wrong.

The only time I have issues with PC gaming is when I decide to mod games and that's just self inflicted at that point.

Its probably when they (I know for me it is) are trying to run them at 120hz or native 4K at max settings so the GPU usage wildly fluctuates or simply you don't notice these issues, and if its the latter then more power to you because you are just being immersed in the games while we flail around in framepacing-pain.

Top Bottom