• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC made up 50% of Capcom's Q1 game sales, or about 5.8 million

tusharngf

its a no brainer. People are starting to shift into PC gaming now that there are a LOT of games on PC. You got exclusive tites from all consoles that you wouldn't get if you own only 1 console.
i waited for ps5 and XSX never got one due to supply issues. Later i waited for 3 series gpu somehow managed to get 3080. Now i will be PC only this gen.

Woopah

All I read is excuses.

Monster Hunter World became a huge hit because it graduated from the getto hardware of the handhelds and pushed the medium to elevated heights with the graphics, gameplay and controls.

It was also released on the most relevant platform which was the PS4 at the time, the king of multiplaform games, along with the PC to cater to a much wider audience outside of Japan.

MHR was such a huge step back and downgrade from MHW , and skipped the most important platform, hence the lower sales. We're talking about wordwide sales, not just Japan. On the other hand, MHW did just fine (Best selling Monster Hunter title ever) skipping the Switch . Thats the difference.
There are two Monster Hunter teams. Capcom is not choosing between PlayStation/Xbox and Switch, its supporting and profiting from both ecosystems.

Similar to how Square Enix has some PlayStation-focused projects and some Switch-focused projects. Its the smart thing for those publishers to do.

Capcom been putting serious work in on the PC since SF4 and RE5, they came a long way since Lost Planet, it’s crazy; Capcom has always been fair too with their pricing and support. Definitely well deserved sales.

Show me the receipts.
The November 2020 ransomware leak had MHW at 8.7m on Playstation. This means it took MHW almost 3 years to sell that many copies on PS4. Meanwhile MHR is at that number on Switch not even 1.5 years after release, outperforming your "king of multiplatform games". We'll see which game will have bigger legs, but one must consider the fact that MHW was built as a "GaaS lite" game, while MHR wasn't.

yazenov

There are two Monster Hunter teams. Capcom is not choosing between PlayStation/Xbox and Switch, its supporting and profiting from both ecosystems.

Similar to how Square Enix has some PlayStation-focused projects and some Switch-focused projects. Its the smart thing for those publishers to do.

But the smarter thing to do is releasing these games on all platforms ( hardware capable of running these games).

yazenov

The November 2020 ransomware leak had MHW at 8.7m on Playstation. This means it took MHW almost 3 years to sell that many copies on PS4. Meanwhile MHR is at that number on Switch not even 1.5 years after release, outperforming your "king of multiplatform games". We'll see which game will have bigger legs, but one must consider the fact that MHW was built as a "GaaS lite" game, while MHR wasn't.

You have zero evidence to back up your claims seing as we dont have the breakdown of Rise PC/Nintendo numbers. Nice try though.

Last edited:

Woopah

But the smarter thing to do is releasing these games on all platforms ( hardware capable of running these games).
And that's certainly what a lot of third parties will do (Koei Tecmo is a good example).

But I think that there's also money to be made from doing deals with first parties. Capcom got money from Nintendo to have Rise be Switch exclusive at launch, just like SE got money from Sony for FF7 remake.

Kiraly

All I read is excuses.

Monster Hunter World became a huge hit because it graduated from the getto hardware of the handhelds and pushed the medium to elevated heights with the graphics, gameplay and controls.

It was also released on the most relevant platform which was the PS4 at the time, the king of multiplaform games, along with the PC to cater to a much wider audience outside of Japan.

MHR was such a huge step back and downgrade from MHW , and skipped the most important platform, hence the lower sales. We're talking about wordwide sales, not just Japan. On the other hand, MHW did just fine (Best selling Monster Hunter title ever) skipping the Switch . Thats the difference.

And MHR did not do "just fine" selling over 10 million copies thus far and becoming Capcom's second most sold game ever?? "pie_tears_joy: "pie_tears_joy: "pie_tears_joy:

Skifi28

MHW was built as a "GaaS lite" game, while MHR wasn't.

I have hundred of hours in both games. How exactly are they built different? Both released with tons of content and quite a few free updates every few months.

I really don't get how one of them is GaaS while the other not, unless you're just making things up to help you reach the conclusion you want.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Maybe if you only care about graphics and nothing else but it’s better than World everywhere it actually matters.

I guess graphics and sales numbers actually are the most important thing for a certain sub-population.

I have hundred of hours in both games. How exactly are they built different? Both released with tons of content and quite a few free updates every few months.

I really don't get how one of them is GaaS while the other not, unless you're just making things up to help you reach the conclusion you want.
MHW had daily login bonuses, randomized quests, way more stuff to grind in the endgame. I only played MHR at release so idk if there were any big updates, but compared to MHW it felt a bit barebones in some regards, it basically felt like the old 3DS games (which isn't a bad thing per se). It's weird that you haven't noticed the differences if you really have hundreds of hours in both games.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Soooo …. If they put out games day one then pc players buy them!?!

Who would have thought!

Are you watching SquareEnix?

Skifi28

Maybe if you only care about graphics and nothing else but it’s better than World everywhere it actually matters.

It's certainly not just the graphics. The complexity of the maps took a nosedive. World was the first MH where you actually felt like you were in a natural environment hunting an animal living its life. Now with Rise we're back to barebone maps that just serve the function of you running towards monster X and whacking it to death. I understand that some people prefer that, but for some of us it was a huge step down in how immersive the world felt.

I would also argue there are many other aspects of the game that are objectively worse in Rise/Sunbreak like the endgame (no guiding lands equivalent /siege monsters to farm gear), the removal of two different armor sets per monster which added to both build complexity as well as fashion hunting, the overall number of monsters added in sunbreak being a lot less than iceborne and more.

All in all, the end result is good with some nice additions to the franchise, but you can really tell it was worked by the B team. I really doubt the target hardware helped in fleshing out the game as much as they could have.

Chukhopops

It's certainly not just the graphics. The complexity of the maps took a nosedive. World was the first MH where you actually felt like you were in a natural environment hunting an animal living its life. Now with Rise we're back to barebone maps that just serve the function of you running towards monster X and whacking it to death. I understand that some people prefer that, but for some of us it was a huge step down in how immersive the world felt.

I would also argue there are many other aspects of the game that are objectively worse in Rise/Sunbreak like the endgame (no guiding lands equivalent /siege monsters to farm gear), the removal of two different armor sets per monster which added to both build complexity as well as fashion hunting, the overall number of monsters added in sunbreak being a lot less than iceborne and more.

All in all, the end result is good with some nice additions to the franchise, but you can really tell it was worked by the B team. I really doubt the target hardware helped in fleshing out the game as much as they could have.
Maps are way more interactive in Rise between the ability to wall ride, to climb anywhere and the overall incomparable mobility. World still makes you fight mostly in predefined, open areas.

Guiding lands was awfully grindy and raids, while an interesting idea, have no place in a MH game (and same with Rampages which are thankfully removed in SB).

Then there’s the topic of the actual gameplay and then there’s no comparison in terms of what you can actually do, weapon style customization, build variety, silkbind skills, how armor skills impact how you have to play optimally, etc. The gap is gigantic.

In conclusion, World was all show and no substance, butchered some weapons, had a tiny roster, the most boring flagship of the entire series and felt like a step back from GU. Iceborne was a good expansion on a bad base but couldn’t salvage it overall.

Bragr

Banned
All I read is excuses.

All I read are excuses.

There is no console where Rise would sell more than on the Switch right now.

You don't think Capcom has considered the financials of keeping Rise a Switch game? give me a break.

Three

What is the console only game in Q4 dammit!?

Are they merely mentioning that forespoken is going to sell mostly on Playstation and shift this or do they have a console only game planned for Q4?

Top Bottom