• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(PC/Mobile) Mystic Quest HD being developed by Dark Design [UPDATE: CONFIRMED SCAM!]

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Update (27/02): Squeenix has told Kotaku that the project is not an officially-licensed product. If you've bought the game, pursue a chargeback with PayPal or your credit card company. I apologise to anybody who bought it after reading this thread.

-----ORIGINAL POST-----

Credit to Deques:

Has this mentioned? Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is being remastered. I am on my phone so I can't see the screenshots well, but it looks like it's being made with RPG Maker

http://darkdesigngames.com/#store

Portfolio01.png

You can pre-order the game by scrolling down to the end of the page.

Edit: More screenshots:
Taken from their Twitter:

Tizoc

...You could've said it was Final Fantasy Jase, I thought this was some other game lol.
FYI this isn't related to the SaGa or Seiken Densetsu series, least from what I've read.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Anything that translates to more Theatrhythm DLC, I welcome with open arms.

JaseC

...You could've said it was Final Fantasy Jase, I thought this was some other game lol.
FYI this isn't related to the SaGa or Seiken Densetsu series, least from what I've read.

Well, "Final Fantasy" is in the quoted post. ;) Thread titles are limited to 85 characters and I figured the release month and price were more important.

Blackage

The saving grace of Mythic Quest was the soundtrack, so long as they keep that in tact I'd be willing to try it out again lol.

This was the first game I ever played on my SNES. As completely crap as it was, I grew to love it because I had no other games to play and, being 11 years old, no money to buy any other games for months.

Weirdly I think the original game still looks better than those remade screenshots.

Rootbeer

Banned
why is it that just because it's on a phone/tablet SE thinks they can release graphics that look so bad?

You know damn well they would not release something that looked that way on console or 3DS/Vita

AND YET...these prices.

Well, I'll be able to play Final Fantasy Mystic Quest on the PC without roms, now. So that's nice.

That means there's going to be even less Final Fantasy games missing from Steam.

Alrus

It was the only jrpg I owned back in the snes era (where Europe would barely get any) and I loved it so much. I know it's super shallow but I still have nostalgia for it.

The music can really get amazing some times (Doom Castle is one of my favorite final dungeon theme of all time).

Anyway like all smartphone remaster I find the sprite work to look a bit sterile but it might be good.

Dark_castle

To me, Mystic Quest wasn't as bad as people often claimed about it. It was just too easy, like an actual beginner RPG made for 5 years old.

Shouldn't it... you know... look better than the original? I mean sure, pixel density is higher but... ugh.

edit: also, it looks like they literally just scanned the hand-drawn map that came with the SNES game for the overworld lol

jett

D-Member
That's neat. I'm one of the few that enjoyed MQ for what it was. Unfortunately it doesn't look all that great visually. I wonder what does the soundtrack sound like.

JaseC

Much prefer the original graphics, as long as they don't touch the soundtrack it'll be alright I suppose...

The page mentions remastered audio, which I assume is being used as a catch-all term to refer to both sound effects and music, but even so it doesn't rule out an option to use the original tracks.

Edit: The devs are active on Twitter if somebody here with an account wants to ask.

GUN-NAC

Seiken Densetsu / Final Fantasy Adventure (GB) was released as Mystic Quest in the UK. Confusing.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So let me get this straight: they licensed the rights to a mediocre game that sold purely on name value, but they won't/can't use the original name? Why bother? What a waste of money.

JaseC

So let me get this straight: they licensed the rights to a mediocre game that sold purely on name value, but they won't/can't use the original name? Why bother? What a waste of money.

I'd say the lack of "Final Fantasy" is intentional as the studio is based in the UK and the original game wasn't branded as a Final Fantasy title in PAL Land.

What the fuck is that. Disgusting. Is that even licensed?
I was expecting this (Japan only phone remake of Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest) and now I'm sad
aza82iJ.jpg
9wHKFQe.jpg
1nomL5x.jpg

I'd say the lack of "Final Fantasy" is intentional as the studio is based in the UK and the original game wasn't branded as a Final Fantasy title in PAL Land.

It's not your fault but it still should be called Mystic Quest Legend then

@MUWANdo

Banned

Sure, but the PAL release was called "Mystic Quest Legend" and, as someone already pointed out, "Mystic Quest" was the PAL title for Seiken Densetsu for Game Boy.

Seriously, they should have licensed Lunar or some other dormant 2D JRPG franchise from someone that would let them use the actual fuckin' name, instead of wasting money on a license that doesn't really benefit them in any way.

What the fuck is that. Disgusting. Is that even licensed?
I was expecting this (Japan only phone remake of Final Fantasy Adventure/Mystic Quest) and now I'm sad
aza82iJ.jpg
9wHKFQe.jpg
1nomL5x.jpg

It's not your fault but it still should be called Mystic Quest Legend then

Why didn't I know of this remake? We only got that crappy sword of mana debotchery I'd have loved this

Why would they remake Mystic Quest?

To me, Mystic Quest wasn't as bad as people often claimed about it. It was just too easy, like an actual beginner RPG made for 5 years old.

Well the game was meant to be a "westerners first JRPG" type deal when it was released. It was developed specifically for the western market to help broaden the appeal of the brand name.... and to be honest, the game was my first introduction to the series as well. I never played FF1 on the NES back in the day, the only JRPG I remember playing through from start to finish on an 8-bit console was Phantasy Star 1 for the Sega Master System.

Yeah, the game did have some good music, but it was still pretty mediocre to me overall.

Why didn't I know of this remake? We only got that crappy sword of mana debotchery I'd have loved this

Seriously, it looks to be the definitive version of the game (phone controls notwithstanding). There is no translation, no emulation, nothing. It's pretty much my white whale and I'd pay good money to play it.

EDIT: I also think it's time for another remake. 3DS with top-down 3D graphics. I need this.
Yeah, it ought to be titled "Mystic Quest Legend HD" so there's less potential for confusion.
It doesn't seem quite HD though :p

duckroll

I saw this mentioned in the Steam thread earlier, but I don't really get it. It seems really odd. If you check the Dark Design twitter, you'll see that "Mystic Quest Remastered" has been in development since 2012 or something. At some point it was also available free in some form on Softpedia and so on. They claim to have been in talks to Square Enix and Phil Rogers, and that this is an official product, but there's been nothing from Square Enix to indicate otherwise. It also seems really unusual that they're allowed to sell the game on their own on their site with via Paypal payment.

Can anyone find out if this is an actual official product, or if they're just making it appear that way? Is it a scam or just a very poorly promoted indie-ish thing which Square Enix gave the okay for without wanting to have any part in marketing it?

duckroll

Unfortunately this was a feature phone only mobile title from Square Enix several years back. If they had a smartphone version, they would most likely have released it worldwide, but since Japanese feature phones are very specific to the local market, it was probably too much effort to bother developing another version of it.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I saw this mentioned in the Steam thread earlier, but I don't really get it. It seems really odd. If you check the Dark Design twitter, you'll see that "Mystic Quest Remastered" has been in development since 2012 or something. At some point it was also available free in some form on Softpedia and so on. They claim to have been in talks to Square Enix and Phil Rogers, and that this is an official product, but there's been nothing from Square Enix to indicate otherwise. It also seems really unusual that they're allowed to sell the game on their own on their site with via Paypal payment.

Can anyone find out if this is an actual official product, or if they're just making it appear that way? Is it a scam or just a very poorly promoted indie-ish thing which Square Enix gave the okay for without wanting to have any part in marketing it?

Five seconds of googling pulled up this, which cites Famitsu but doesn't link to a specific source.

They have SE branding on their site and in the game, they say it has been officially picked up by SE and they're already selling it. I find it hard to believe but that would be a really really big mistake if they were lying about it. I have no idea why SE would greenlight something like this though. It's all very strange.

duckroll

Five seconds of googling pulled up this, which cites Famitsu but doesn't link to a specific source.

That was the announcement of Square Enix Market for the Android platform in Japan. I don't think it ever really mentioned Mystic Quest in all the media coverage and official press release.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201109/15050190.html
http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20111121_492657.html
http://www.jp.square-enix.com/company/ja/news/2011/html/dafca98130177423d2f462af5f6ab818.html
http://www.4gamer.net/games/143/G014381/20111121017/

That was also way before this project ever came into existence, so it wouldn't really matter...

Top Bottom