• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Skyrim (with all DLC) owners to receive free upgrade to Special Edition

Bizzquik

Cool, if it doesn't break mod support.

My thoughts exactly.

* 64-bit?
* Stability improvements?
* How does this impact existing mods?
* Any chance this could help modders - perhaps with an improved Creation Kit?
* Will my old saves be compatible?

So many questions. I need to hear from Nexus and the game's many talented modders before I get excited as an end-user.

Mindman

This is a great move. I will get the free upgrade. Like another poster said, this could be great for addressing things with the original PC release like DX11 support and memory allocation increases for mods to greatly reduce CTDs without the need for community patches.

Can't wait all of a sudden! Lol

Rottmer

Neo Member
I spent like $10 on Legendary Edition for Steam, but never really liked Skyrim's dull gameplay. Is this just a visual overhaul on PC?

Launch-day Skyrim buyers have been the most screwed on DLC. Bundles are frequently cheaper on sales than the individual DLC pieces. That's why to this day I still just have vanilla, meaning if I wanted to take advantage of this I'd have to most likely overpay for DLC I kinda don't really want.

Launch-day Skyrim buyers have been the most screwed on DLC. Bundles are frequently cheaper on sales than the individual DLC pieces. That's why to this day I still just have vanilla, meaning if I wanted to take advantage of this I'd have to most likely overpay for DLC I kinda don't really want.

I only have the vanilla as well. I'm not really into DLC so I never buy them.
Legendary Edition is regularly on sale for 75% off though, so it's a way to get this version cheap.

Spyware

They changed the Legendary Edition on Steam.
It's now a "complete the set" bundle instead of a pack with everything in it. This fixes the problem people voice in the thread about only having Vanilla and either having to buy it again in the pack or buy the DLCs separately. Go check out the new bundle.

Edit: Or at least it should do that, theoretically. I can't see the price of the bundle because I own all items in it.

I only have the vanilla as well. I'm not really into DLC so I never buy them.
Legendary Edition is regularly on sale for 75% off though, so it's a way to get this version cheap.

Can I get the Legendary Edition? I thought I couldn't because I have the base game and the LE comes with the base game.

Koeta

I need to know if my old game save will work, I have 40+ hours and still need to do the DLC.

Don't want to start fresh really :(

Can I get the Legendary Edition? I thought I couldn't because I have the base game and the LE comes with the base game.

Yes you can, cheaper even. If you own the base game, you'll only need to 'upgrade' to Legendary Edition. It's way cheaper to get all of the DLC via Legendary Edition than buying them separately. Your base game (and/or any DLC you own) won't count and will be treated as a discount.

They changed the Legendary Edition on Steam.
It's now a "complete the set" bundle instead of a pack with everything in it. This fixes the problem people voice in the thread about only having Vanilla and either having to buy it again in the pack or buy the DLCs separately. Go check out the new bundle.

Edit: Or at least it should do that, theoretically. I can't see the price of the bundle because I own all items in it.

This is actually really awesome.

Fredrik

Why leave out the console owners though? Most people have the same accounts on PS4 as PS3, wouldn't it be possible to check if the account contains the legendary edition and make it a free download on PS4? If it's a piracy situation then why not at least check if the game has been bought digitally?

Looking forward to giving it a whirl again now that I have a desktop with tons of graphics grunt backing it - the game as it is right now could use a facelift at parts.

Akoi

Well that's one way to turn all the anger into praise.

Nicely played Bethesda.

Now let's hope they handle Mods the right way and not try the whole paid Mods thing again and keep the steam workshop integration.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why leave out the console owners though? Most people have the same accounts on PS4 as PS3, wouldn't it be possible to check if the account contains the legendary edition and make it a free download on PS4? If it's a piracy situation then why not at least check if the game has been bought digitally?

This is lipservice to get modders to make mods that the console paying players can use.

Moff

didn't they announce a new elder scrolls? weird
well then I might actually buy the dlc and get this

Plesiades

I liked using the Steam Workshop for little mods here and there, so I hope that Bethesda still creates one for this version.

packy34

I liked using the Steam Workshop for little mods here and there, so I hope that Bethesda still creates one for this version.

Now that they have their own mod hosting service/installer, don't count on it. It will all be through bethesda.net and nexus. Beth.net is pretty similar to steam workshop though.

Eusis

This is lipservice to get modders to make mods that the console paying players can use.
Probably also different perceptions in the markets, and definitely warranted on the PC side (and if consoles will be iterative should be there too.) PC will innately run nicer on higher end hardware, which is where a lot of the appeal is anyway in buying these on consoles, and you're not buying a new platform and can run everything still barring compatibility snags. Buying the same thing for subtle updates, ones you can get through mods at that, is a farce.

patapuf

That's pretty great of bethestha.

It's a bit of a shame that this is a noteworthy exeption rather than the rule.

I'm pretty certain it'll break mods, but usually these "remasters" have a different executable, so it's cool.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Makes sense considering this SE exist to milk console gamers again in the first place...cant do that that easy with the PC audience.

Now that they have their own mod hosting service/installer, don't count on it. It will all be through bethesda.net and nexus. Beth.net is pretty similar to steam workshop though.

If the new version of this doesn't support Steam Workshop, then we can expect it to be a seperate entry in our Steam accounts at least.

I wonder if they will pull the normal version from sale then, and make Steam Workshop enabled Skyrim a legacy version?

Oh, and I assume this version will come with the added bonus of Denuvo also.

Vuze

That's amazing, good on Bethesda for doing this!

Now, what's the best way to acquire all DLC? Only own vanilla and the free stuff obviously.

danthefan

So...I assume I can buy the DLC I don't own before that October date and get the upgrade that way?

I don't own Hearthfire because I'd read it was crap.

KKRT00

They need to explain upgrade process more. I think i dont have Hearthfire and i dont know if i have to buy it additionally or this one will be skipped by verification.

Spyware

That's amazing, good on Bethesda for doing this!

Now, what's the best way to acquire all DLC? Only own vanilla and the free stuff obviously.
The bundle on Steam probably. Especially if they discount it further during the summer sale next week. But they might not.

Edgeward

Cool, I bought the legendary edition past winter. Probably will just dick around a bit to see the diff and roll a magic user this time.

Yes you can, cheaper even. If you own the base game, you'll only need to 'upgrade' to Legendary Edition. It's way cheaper to get all of the DLC via Legendary Edition than buying them separately. Your base game (and/or any DLC you own) won't count and will be treated as a discount.

Sweet, that's great! I don't think it worked like that before, glad to know it got changed.

The bundle on Steam probably. Especially if they discount it further during the summer sale next week. But they might not.

Yeah, I highly doubt it will go any more deeper than this.

This 39% off is gonna be the cheapest that we can get for upgrading to Legendary Edition until the game is out.

Sweet, that's great! I don't think it worked like that before, glad to know it got changed.

Yes, they've just recently changed it.

packy34

If the new version of this doesn't support Steam Workshop, then we can expect it to be a seperate entry in our Steam accounts at least.

I wonder if they will pull the normal version from sale then, and make Steam Workshop enabled Skyrim a legacy version?

Oh, and I assume this version will come with the added bonus of Denuvo also.

Fallout 4 doesn't have Denuvo.

And we have to assume the new Skyrim will use Bethesda.net because of console mods.

what will this add to the PC version tho

Some nicer textures/shaders. Not much that you can't already get with mods, if anything at all.

Top Bottom