• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Skyrim (with all DLC) owners to receive free upgrade to Special Edition

Any news on saves transfers?
I'm guessing not a chance in hell.

Also is it just me who thought that looked better than Fallout 4? Or is it because I've been awake 10 seconds?

//ARCANUM

So theoretically, if all the DLC goes on sale during the Steam sale (I already own the base game), I can buy it on the cheap and then I'll get the special edition for free? If so, that's pretty damn badass. (Especially considering I've never actually played this game lol)

I have the Legendary edition. Not really a fan of the game itself, mostly because I found the combat horrible, but I'll be willing to give it another shot just to see what I can do with the game on a new PC. Currently have a i5 3570k and a GTX 770 2GB which prevented me from going too ridiculous on the modding, gonna get a 6700k and a GTX 1070 here shortly, gonna get me some of those grass mods that would light PC's on fire.

Vuze

hmmm, I might jump back into skyrim.

has anyone tried any VR mods?
I tried VorpX with Skyrim on DK2 a few months ago and I was in awe when that dragon at the beginning smashed down in front of you. Exhilarating. Unfortunately the game was not really playable as keybinds/controller buttons acted up every few minutes... I eventually gave up but it was kinda nice. Can't wait to see what FO4 will be like with official support!

Greatest news. I was just going to get around to starting this, as I purchased the Legendary Edition that has all the DLC about a month ago. I'll wait now. This is fucking awesome.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Don't know, but you might as well get the DLC on a sale,

it's sure to be cheaper than buying the game separate.

Surely they'd have a cut-off point for qualification though, to stop people just buying the old game is supposed to be for longtime fans who already own the game.

I have the basic game and have never played it :)

Fallout 4 doesn't have Denuvo.

Doom, by Bethesda, released after Fallout 4 have it.

And we have to assume the new Skyrim will use Bethesda.net because of console mods.

That's reasonable, and something I assume also. But what will happen with Steam Workshop mods? Will there be any support at all, and will even the old normal version that does support them be available for purchase?

finley83

Banned
That's reasonable, and something I assume also. But what will happen with Steam Workshop mods? Will there be any support at all, and will even the old normal version that does support them be available for purchase?

Bethesda kept the original Doom 3 + expansion on sale even though BFG is out, so guessing original Skyrim will stay available as well.

I like this, it's a nice gesture and make me look forward to playing the game again.

Pachael

As welcome as this is, I expect that the savegame isn't automatically transfer (I expect a day 1 mod though). With all those pre-existing mods in old Skyrim? Hmmm...

Lord Phol

While this is nice and all I'm more interested in how the console versions will end-up considering Bethesdas track record. Skyrim might be one of my top favorites games of all time but the way Bethesda handled the PS3 version of Skyrim was not cool.

packy34

Doom, by Bethesda, released after Fallout 4 have it.

I imagine the old version with the old workshop will remain for a time, at least. There can't be *that* high of a percentage of players on PC who don't own all the DLC and still actively play the game. And even if they do shut down the workshop for the old version, mods that have already been installed wouldn't suddenly be removed; they just wouldn't have update support. Users would have to migrate to nexusmods. A hassle, but not too much of one.

Bethesda doing a cool thing right now. PC players brag about the special edition just looking like a heavily modded PC game but I would gladly have it be integrated into the game rather than deal with modding.

I wonder if the changes are merely the graphical upgrade? They're can always be more room for bug fixing or balancing in behalf of Bethesda.

packy34

I wonder if the changes are merely cosmetic? They're can always be more room for bug fixing or balancing in behalf of Bethesda.

The community has already fixed most of the problems.

Bethesda doing a cool thing right now. PC players brag about the special edition just looking like a heavily modded PC game but I would gladly have it done by the developers and not deal with modding.

Modding Bethesda games is literally drag and drop. There's absolutely nothing to it.

Modding Bethesda games is literally drag and drop. There's absolutely nothing to it.

No it's not. There's also considering load orders and compatibility issues especially with those mods that require script extenders. Then there's those times when the games would start CTD or won't load and you left with individually troubleshooting each mod to figure out what's wrong.

That's why I'm glad I'm glad the PC version getting an official graphics overhaul from Bethesda themselves. Won't have to jump through hoops.

This is coming from a guy who played heavily modded versions of every Bethesda open world since Morrowind.

packy34

No it's not. There's also considering load orders and compatibility issues especially with those mods that require script extenders. Then there's those times when the games start crashing or won't load and you left with individually troubleshooting each mod to figure out what's wrong.

That's why I'm glad we're getting an official graphics overhaul from Bethesda themselves.

This is coming from a guy who played heavily modded versions of every Bethesda open world since Morrowind.

All the popular mod managers handle load orders for you. SKSE is like 20kb and goes in one folder and solves all script extending needs forever. Mod pages list compatibility conflicts; it's on the user to know if there will be a conflict before downloading/using with other mods.

This isn't rocket science. There are very few modern games/engines that are this easy to mod.

No it's not. There's also considering load orders and compatibility issues especially with those mods that require script extenders. Then there's those times when the games would start CTD or won't load and you left with individually troubleshooting each mod to figure out what's wrong.

That's why I'm glad I'm glad the PC version getting an official graphics overhaul from Bethesda themselves. Won't have to jump through hoops.

SKSE (script extender) is literally one button install.

LOOT (load order) is the same.

LOOT literally sorts and points out the errors in your build. Modding Skyrim is ridiculously easy.

All the popular mod managers handle load orders for you. SKSE is like 20kb and goes in one folder and solves all script extending needs forever. Mod pages list compatibility conflicts; it's on the user to know if there will be a conflict before downloading/using with other mods.

This isn't rocket science. There are very few modern games/engines that are this easy to mod.

LOOT literally sorts and points out the errors in your build. Modding Skyrim is ridiculously easy.

Look, I already know how easy it is to mod these games. The point I'm trying to make is that if shit breaks down, you're left to do work that's frankly not worth it half the time. I'm just glad we won't have to jump through as much hoops is all.

AcAnchoa

It is ridiculously easy until something fails, then it becomes a nightmare. The general instability of the game doesn't help much either. It's still a much better world than what Oblivion and Fallout 3 / NV left us, though.

Out of curiousity, does this special edition really offer much to PC owners that they couldn't already got out of existing mods?

I recently bought Legendary edition but haven't touched it, and based on the amount of visual improvement people have brought to the game through mods, I don't know exactly what business a 'remastered special edition' really has on the platform besides making another stupidly large chunk of cash.

packy34

Out of curiousity, does this special edition really offer much to PC owners that they couldn't already got out of existing mods?

I recently bought Legendary edition but haven't touched it, and based on the amount of visual improvement people have brought to the game through mods, I don't know exactly what business a 'remastered special edition' really has on the platform besides making another stupidly large chunk of cash.

It seems like there will be a few upgraded engine things like volumetric lighting added, but I haven't seen anything that couldn't/hasn't already done via mods. At least you'll be able to get the new version for free.

GRaider81

I asked in the other thread but, presumably the 'normal' skyrim version with mods will still be the best way to play this?

The modded vanilla version certainly looks better than the remastered footage

packy34

I asked in the other thread but, presumably the 'normal' skyrim version with mods will still be the best way to play this?

The modded vanilla version certainly looks better than the remastered footage

It will be unless the new version somehow gets better mods due to engine upgrades.

MUnited83

For you.

It doesn't really offer anything, which is why it's being given away. Charging people for a version that a) will probably not have access to most mods at launch and b) looks even worse than a modded version, it would be ridículous to charge for a upgrade.

diamount

Banned

Yeah, so unlikely people would purchase if they already had the base game. But I guess they get PR out of this.

Thanks guys. Sorry, I don't mean to seem disrespectful of it, I just wanted to know if I was missing some key hook. I guess it is a nice perk to get a facelifted version of the game, especially if you don't like to muck around with mods. I don't, myself. I'm just not used to seeing consecutive gen re-releases getting a PC release.

Linkyn

Nice. Given the kind of upgrade you can already get with mods for free, it would have felt odd to pay more if you already own all the DLC.

I purchased Skyrim when it first released and decided on skipping all of the DLC. The free upgrade announcement makes one thing clear for me... never buy another vanilla Bethesda game until the complete edition is released.

syko de4d

i hope it works fine with Enderal Mod because thats the only reason why i will reinstall Skyrim :D

And Maybe skywind but that is to far away from release.

I purchased Skyrim when it first released and decided on skipping all of the DLC. The free upgrade announcement makes one thing clear for me... never buy another vanilla Bethesda game until the complete edition is released.

cutting_edge.png

Tizoc

What madness is this?
Bethesda never even discounts their DLC below 50% and they're giving this ish away for free?
Am I in a Bizarro World or something?
Ain't sayin' no to free ish, but yo, just sayin'

Top Bottom