• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Skyrim (with all DLC) owners to receive free upgrade to Special Edition

What madness is this?
Bethesda never even discounts their DLC below 50% and they're giving this ish away for free?
Am I in a Bizarro World or something?
Ain't sayin' no to free ish, but yo, just sayin'

You still need the complete edition to get this upgrade. Probably was worth it for Bethesda to incentivize players who don't own all the DLC yet or those few PC gamers who are still on the fence over getting Skyrim.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Well done Bethesda.

I'm scared for my mod list though, I could live without 90% of them but certain ones have become truly essential for me.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
so will the special edition be locked in to Bethesda approved in-game mods only?

If its a 64 bit exe would that negate the need for SKSE in some mods? I mean obvs its not a case of woo 64bit so they work, they'd have to be reworked in some way i think but it'd be nice anyway. I think I would happily replay a bit of this with pretty minimal amount of mods, tried to play it again on PC with some mods recently and it CTD'd at random times, but I did use that Perkus Maximums successor to the other overhaul mod, otherwise everything else was cleaned, ordered and no errors.

Mithos

Mod-community reset, Nexus/current mods not compatible, since so many mods depends on SKSE and SKU UI.

Vanilla gameplay version for free though.

I can't be the only person who is actually incredibly concerned and sceptical about this, surely it's going to break many, many mods already created (if not all of them) and most of them probably won't ever be fixed. I didn't mod Skyrim anywhere near as heavily as Oblivion, but I certainly wouldn't have played it without the climate mod that covers most of the map in snow (Skyrim is far too brown and ugly in a lot of wilderness areas).

I'm going to have to back up my directory and set Steam not to auto-update Skyrim.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can't be the only person who is actually incredibly concerned and sceptical about this, surely it's going to break many, many mods already created (if not all of them) and most of them probably won't ever be fixed. I didn't mod Skyrim anywhere near as heavily as Oblivion, but I certainly wouldn't have played it without the climate mod that covers most of the map in snow (Skyrim is far too brown and ugly in a lot of wilderness areas).

I'm going to have to back up my directory and set Steam not to auto-update Skyrim.

It's a separate app, not a patch. The last time Bethesda fiddled with any of Skyrim's content depots was over a year ago and that was just an update to the Czech and Polish localisations.

Edit: There's also been no additional DLC attached to the Skyrim app, aside from an unreleased soundtrack.

Considering its a seperate game, no you won't?

kami_sama

I'm hoping it's a different library entry, or something to the same effect.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wait. Bethesda? What are you doing. Stop being awesome. I can't handle this. This update should iron out the small kinks I have running the game on my 6300, easily. No reason for it to not do multithreading if it's gonna be on the consoles as well :)

RulkezX

What benefits over modded vanilla will this offer? Just seems like the Special edition will save having to install a couple of gfx mods initially.

To be fair, not sure how much better Special Edition looks and performs compared to modded Skyrim (I'd reckon not by a lot, if not at all), but still great of them to give the option to upgrade for free.

roytheone

The only dlc i don't have is hearthfire. Maybe I will pick it up in the steam sale just to get this upgrade for free.

What benefits over modded vanilla will this offer? Just seems like the Special edition will save having to install a couple of gfx mods initially.

Is this version going to be directx 11 and 64 bit? that could be nice.

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
xlvzxUf.png

https://twitter.com/DCDeacon/status/742200753520050176

Kyoufu

I'm confused. They're giving you what you already own again? What's the difference between the remaster and the modded version you likely have installed on your PC already?

I'm confused. They're giving you what you already own again? What's the difference between the remaster and the modded version you likely have installed on your PC already?

It's a separate game, so you'll get a new game nonetheless.

When it comes to differences though, there's barely any information so far. The SE is expected to be in 64bit and dx11 system, at least. Maybe the modded dx9 version will still look better at first, but who knows what modders can do to the new version years later.

DrArchon

Holy shit! That's incredibly generous of them. And here I thought I wasn't going to get this game because I saw no reason to buy it.

fabricioss

Neo Member
Will there by any changes to the game in addition to the visuals? Will they perhaps implement new gameplay mechanics, for instance locational damage for the combats?

Cels

it's been confirmed that they are separate entries so our precious mods will work on oct 28 on skyrim just like they do today.

that said, i don't ever see playing this upgraded version of the game if the mods i like don't get ported

Ploid 3.0

Guess I'll get all of the dlc during a steam sale and hope modders support updating to whatever the new skyrim might break (ENB, skse and such). I really hope it's 64bit and has the Fallout 4 shader stuff. F4 looks nice.

it's been confirmed that they are separate entries so our precious mods will work on oct 28 on skyrim just like they do today.

that said, i don't ever see playing this upgraded version of the game if the mods i like don't get ported

Oh interesting. Like Divinity OS and Divinity OS Enhanced Edition.

Mivey

So I wonder if this is ported to the fallout 4 creation engine?

Or maybe a step in between Skyrim and Fallout 4?
They are bringing some of the effects they have written for Fallout 4 over. It's the same engine, with probably only minor additions done for Fallout 4 to the renderer. Depending on how modularized their codebase is, it could be a basic swap and then fixing stuff that it broke. Then again, this is Gamebyro, so who knows what they are doing to this Frankensteinian creation.

Pendas

Banned
I'm sick of all this HD Remastering BS... forcing us to pay full price for another game that was releas....

If you own #Skyrim and all its add-ons or own Legendary Edition on Steam, you'll get a free upgrade to Skyrim Special Edition on Oct 28 #BE3

Oh.... /puts pitchfork away

This is how you fucking do it. <3 Bethesda.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This is very cool. We have the PC and PS3 versions, with all of the DLC for PC already. Very cool. I'm still thinking I might buy the PS4 version for me, while my wife continues to play the PC version.

Modders will make the even better version of the mods in time.

If they can do this much with a dx9 game, I imagine we can expect a much better looking modded Skyrim with the new version.

Reallink

Unfortunately I guess this also confirms Fallout 4 VR will also be a re-buy re-release locked behind $100+ of DLC as well.

The difficult decision for me will be whether to start a new playthrough immediately, or wait a few weeks for modders to check their mods for compatibility...

Top Bottom