• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pc will be the dominant gaming platform going forward.

Kenpachii

LOL ahahahahahaha just no. PC's are powerful machines & the library of games if vast but nope no way in hell are they easy to get into, A million different configurations & a million ways for things to go wrong when they work it's just gravy but the moment they stop it's a fucking nightmare trying to sort out some random problem.

U mean, buy a laptop, download steam, buy a game, press play?

Pretty hard indeed.

MastaKiiLA

Some PC gamers on this forum want so desperately to be important. It's embarrassing. You spent enough money on your rig. You don't need to beg for attention. If PC gaming was anywhere near the cusp of becoming dominant, this forum would have more than tumbleweeds for PC gaming threads. PC gaming will continue to be the red-headed stepchild of the gaming world, because your shit is expensive, your games play second fiddle to Google Chrome on your platform, and of all the multipurpose platforms, mobile gaming is going to eat your lunch, if it hasn't already.

Lord Of The Rings GIF by Maudit

Ezquimacore

Banned
I can play breath of the wild, Horizon zero dawn and halo on my pc, also every emulator ever made and every third party from now on. Add to that half life alyx. Console gamers will never understand.

I mean, does a handful of console exclusives, some good but others becoming a total turn-off, really outweigh all the benefits of PC gaming? Not even close, and it never will.

From having access to 30 years of gaming history with no concerns of backward compatibility, as well as access to all the console emulators and the obvious technical benefits that come along with playing new games, any gamer should really get a PC if and when they can afford it.

PC is an amazing place to play games, but it being easier to get into than consoles is absolutely not a reason why. PCs almost always cost more than consoles, and parts have been sold out for the last year. Even going for pre-builts means you are going to spend $1500 to get something comparable to a PS5 or XSX right now just due to the video cart shortage and high prices being charged. There is also the perception that a PC is meant to be plugged into a monitor instead of a TV, while most people would rather play on their big screen TV.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It wont be playable day 1 on PC, we all know it wont be playable day 1 on PC. PC gamers are embarrassing.

It also looks as good as it does primarily due to the really smart choices made by the devs. Its a great example of how balancing a raft of simple, often low-precision effects combined with quality art direction can make a title punch visually massively above its weight.

To be truthful its a perfect counter-point to the sort of sentiments expressed by VFXVeteran about the value of using highly accurate but resource devouring effects in order to produce a stronger visual presentation.

carlosrox

Banned
In all likelihood you probably will be able to.

Better to get a console and just be outdated on day one and get it over with.

There isn't a new console released every few months. PC is outdated by itself way faster.

I can't get a PS5 and be able to upgrade it the very next day.

Unless I get a "top of the line" PC, my PC will be outdated the day I buy it.

Consoles aren't outdated until a new iteration or console is released.

So ironically PCs are the ones that feel outdated immediately, not the consoles. PS5 and SX won't be outdated until their successors release in a few years.

PCs are outdated the day you buy them.

Nice try though.

Last edited:

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
This pc is more expensive logic does not hold very well. This is just true if you want the best possible equipment at a given time. However, as times goes, pc parts fall in price while consoles keep more or less the same price. In 2-3 yr from now, any pc APU will delivery as good as (or better) graphics than the PS5 or XSX at 1/2 the cost.

Topher

Gold Member
There isn't a new console released every few months. PC is outdated by itself way faster.

I can't get a PS5 and be able to upgrade it the very next day.

Nice try though.

No, console gamers (myself included) have to wait until the mid-get refreshes come around. PC gamers don't. I'd rather have more options than less.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Cmon. My PC cost close to 3k and my PS5 cost 500 + tax. The cheap all in one solution is not going to be overtaken by the solution that costs 3x that for similar performance. People with more money that care about specs will go PC, the rest will stick to the cheaper boxes.

Topher

Gold Member
Cmon. My PC cost close to 3k and my PS5 cost 500 + tax. The cheap all in one solution is not going to be overtaken by the solution that costs 3x that for similar performance. People with more money that care about specs will go PC, the rest will stick to the cheaper boxes.

You are getting performance similar to PS5 in your $3k PC?

sunnysideup

Banned
yes now.

but 2-3 years from now. A cheap as shit pc will play any ps5 game in higher res and higher framerate than ps5.

If PC gaming was anywhere near the cusp of becoming dominant, this forum would have more than tumbleweeds for PC gaming threads.
This is primarily a console gaming board, and people here will keep talking about console games no matter what. If console gaming went through a significant drop in popularity, you'd just have fewer people here.

As people have pointed out, there are PC exclusive games that have a larger playerbase than any console game, on top of being more profitable. This is even more true for mobile games. PUBG Mobile alone brought in nearly $3 billion last year, that's almost as much as the entire COD franchise, including all consoles, PC and their own mobile spinoff. And yet, you're much more likely to have someone start a thread a 20+ year-old Final Fantasy game here than any of these games.

This board doesn't paint an accurate picture of what's going on in gaming as a whole.

Maybe you're right OP, maybe you're not. I personally can't see it. The two biggest hurdles, from my POV, for PC to become the "dominant" gaming platform are:

1. Entry costs. A good, complete mid range gaming PC needs to cost max. 600 USD/EUR. And no, it is not possible to build such a thing, let alone buy one right now (please don't reply to this giving me links to some shitty YT videos or pre-build product pages, I refuse to even answer to that)
2. Ease of use / availability. People need to be able to easily buy/order a PC like mentioned above at any time just like consoles. It needs to be fully functional out of the box and can't get in the way of the user experience. Operating systems are too complicated for most people. They're intimidating to them. I'm thinking along the lines of a PC box with about as many IO options as a console, and an OS that is as easy to use as, let's say, iPad OS/iOS.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

This is primarily a console gaming board, and people here will keep talking about console games no matter what. If console gaming went through a significant drop in popularity, you'd just have fewer people here.

As people have pointed out, there are PC exclusive games that have a larger playerbase than any console game, on top of being more profitable. This is even more true for mobile games. PUBG Mobile alone brought in nearly $3 billion last year, that's almost as much as the entire COD franchise, including all consoles, PC and their own mobile spinoff. And yet, you're much more likely to have someone start a thread a 20+ year-old Final Fantasy game here than any of these games.

This board doesn't paint an accurate picture of what's going on in gaming as a whole.
That works both ways. PC gaming hasn't stopped console gamers from buying hundreds of millions of consoles over the years, despite those popular PC games. So why would that change now? Because Sony is going to port some games years after their console release?

This whole thread is wrong-headed, and is just more "look at me, please" from the PC gamers who inhabit this board. We've heard this claim made for decades now. Literally decades. I think PC gamers should be more worried about getting trampled by mobile gaming, which is far more accessible than PCs, and costs less. Consoles will be fine, up until the point that they aren't. But that's certainly not this generation.

skit_data

Hasn’t it always been?

I say that as a retired PC player (except for RTS and MOBA, sometimes) that realized it wasn’t worth the money, windows in general, bloatware, driver issues etc. that settled down with my iMac for work and music production and a PS3 and now PS5 out of conveniance

Edit: Yeah ok, I have Windows installed via bootcamp and on my laptop that I use for my Traktor S4

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
PC always had the dominant library, and options to play with. You can emulate 40 years worth of games, or install native releases of most major current games designed with console controls in mind. Arcade game platforms are just PCs, and have been for a few decades now.

The only reason I bother with consoles is convenience offered by the ecosystem. I use them more than my gaming PCs, because I don't have the time to fuck around with any games, and when I do, the Xbox or Playstation is there.

PC master race is a meme joke. Anybody who takes it seriously enough to complain about it is missing the point. PC gamers who espouse superiority are usually the same PC gamers that run entry level laptops with APUs that cook themselves to death running league of legends or CSGO on low settings. Those idiots latch onto the scene, mouth off about "peasants" and are blind to their own stupid existence.

Most people are above that petty shit, and these days are too focused on mining crypto, or hating crypto and trying to get a decent priced upgrade.

Guilty_AI

Its already dominant in a sense.
Looking at metrics of mainstream game sales its usually closely behind PS, making it second place. It even overtakes PS for some specific games.
Much like the switch it also has a fair list of PC only games that are immensely popular.
A recent research also pointed out its the favorite platform for game developers by a considerable margin.

Right now, i think theres a good balance, and the perks of pc gaming are clearly showing results.
If you mean something like pc gaming going far above the rest of the platforms, i don't think that'd happen as long as other platforms still have their own set of perks.

That works both ways. PC gaming hasn't stopped console gamers from buying hundreds of millions of consoles over the years, despite those popular PC games. So why would that change now? Because Sony is going to port some games years after their console release?
I wont' speak for others, but I never argued that it would.
This whole thread is wrong-headed, and is just more "look at me, please" from the PC gamers who inhabit this board.
It's wrong-headed alright, but not for the reason you think, and that, too, has something to do with this board's tendency to view gaming as a whole through console-colored glasses. When OP talks about the "dominant" platform, what does he mean? PC games have more players overall. League of Legends has over 100 million active players, or about the same number as bought a PS4 last gen. That's one single game. So in that sense, PC already dominates. And PC, in turn, doesn't hold a candle to mobile.

We all know that's not really what OP really meant, though. When he talks about dominance, it's in relation to the kinds of games people on this board spend the most time talking about: big-budget, high production value AAA releases, ideally of the singleplayer variety and exclusive to one of the big three consoles. And as far as those games go, I really don't see consoles losing the top spot either. Not until streaming takes over, anyway.

ViolentP

The PC library has always been leaps and bounds above what is available on consoles for me which is why it's always been my weapon of choice.

I will play on console when I need a change of environment however.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Stop saying the truth!!!!

Sorry edited my post, lol meant to say "not straightforward" but you understood it right away ;)

My PC will remain my all-propose machine, but 5-6 years from now my next PC might simply be an Android or iOS tablet as these are getting really crazy in terms of power and ease of use. But we need to see how they evolve.

Unless Micros return TV compatible, and are priced the same or under consoles, this won't happen.

People want to plug box to tv and play with interactive plastic remote in minutes, not hours.
Most consumers don't even know about pc specs.

They go to the computer store and buy 2GB of ram computer with celeron integrated for $1200 not knowing they was scammed. Silly OP.

Flutta

Banned
Let him dream. PC gaming still have alot of issues that gamers/casuals rather game on consoles and handhelds instead.

I got a good gaming PC with a big ass backlog, but i still choose to play on my PS5 instead.🤷🏻‍♀️

makaveli60

I for one will never exchange the convenience of console gaming for marginal graphical differences and constant tinkering, bitching and wondering what is the current problem with my pc game/software/hardware. And I guess there are a couple of people like me.

i very much enjoy the enhanced game experiences offered by modding, and i'm ok with doing a little config work. also, Steam sales and pc key deals are great nowadays (have need for a while), really built my catalog up to a ridiculous scale, and offline mode is fantastic. to each his own, really.

Top Bottom