• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pc will be the dominant gaming platform going forward.

Topher

Gold Member
PC has two problems: Too expensive compared to consoles and not straightforward.

That's why you see most rich people still use consoles for being more accessible and easy to jump to the game right away.

The cost and difficulty of PC gaming varies. The most popular GPU among Steam gamers remains the GTX 1060. That is a five year old card that was released at $250. So obviously PC gamers are getting a heck of a lot of value out of their hardware. Between the time that card released and now, a lot of console gamers have spent over $1000 in consoles between mid-get refreshes and the new consoles. Myself included.

As far as the difficulty, how hard is it to buy a gaming laptop? Or a prebuilt gaming desktop? Install Steam, buy game, play game. No one has to build a PC from scratch. So the complexity of PC gaming is whatever each person makes it.

Gaelyon

Gold Member
I've a gaming PC since 1996 (my current one i build myself 2 years ago with a 2070S) and 15+ years old steam account with hundreds of games, i love PC gaming and yet i still play on PS, bought a PS5 and don't intent to stop console gaming ever.

Console gaming is about using a special dedicated machine that play nearly flawless on your nice TV while you're on your comfy couch. You can do that with a PC but it's such a hassle. Also console DO rise the minimum hardware requirement with each generation, PC not really. Look at SSD for instance, my PC has a SSD since 2014, and i've still not found a PC game that required it, that is designed around it. Now after PS5/Xbox S there's some games requiring SSD, it will still take years but we're finally beginning to abandon HD...

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
i think the rise of twitch streamers and the massive popularity of things like GTA RP and discord that arent on consoles have made PC very popular choice the last few years with kids. Personally I just do not like playing on consoles anymore except handhelds.

Edokataki

Banned
When ps5 becomes videly available you will be able to buy a cheap as shit gpu, apu, laptop that plays all games at a standard higher than ps5.
How many times you had to reinstall your windows, if it's more than once then it's not easy and if it's not more than once you lie. Xbox and playstation under my TV open automatically when I open the TV and they resume in a sec the game I was playing last time. Xbox and ps cost 500€ how much a decent pc cost without pirated or student windows?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The cost and difficulty of PC gaming varies. The most popular GPU among Steam gamers remains the GTX 1060. That is a five year old card that was released at $250. So obviously PC gamers are getting a heck of a lot of value out of their hardware. Between the time that card released and now, a lot of console gamers have spent over $1000 in consoles between mid-get refreshes and the new consoles. Myself included.

As far as the difficulty, how hard is it to buy a gaming laptop? Or a prebuilt gaming desktop? Install Steam, buy game, play game. No one has to build a PC from scratch. So the complexity of PC gaming is whatever each person makes it.

It was extremely difficult to me and after I finished my CPU was smashing 4.3GHz on 2700x that I had to go to the bios to fucking calm it down. I've seen famous PC guys on youtube and none exceeded 4.2GHz due to parts aren't communicating well. Also I planned to have 2TB NVMe m.2 SSD but Asus doesn't approve any in their recommendations, and some faced problems of these SSD's dying.

Also if I used the second m.2 slot it takes around 25% of the PCIe 3.0 going to the main GPU, making you have headaches to know why your GPU is underperforming compared to others.

This was shown by one guy on youtube, the only one broke it down to deep analysis and how complicated and fucked up building a PC is:

Motherboard-Map.png

Also you fancy a SLI or Crossfire? Yea, you'll at best get 25% more than a single card, thanks to this fuckery.

Spent more than 100 hours reading, checking many websites about that specific motherboard I chose "ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi)". I'll always advice to download the PDF sheet of the tested hardware that is 100% compatible. I toned down my build from 64GB RAM to 32GB RAM because of that as well.

So no, even buying builds from so-called "expert" websites doesn't really mean your gonna be headache-free as most PC builds I see are too generic and basic. And laptops you pay more to get less, 2080 on a laptop is somewhere between 2070-2060 on desktop. Even the power supply and other parts are according to ASUS recommendation.

Last edited:

ShadowNate

I don't see it.

PC platform always had the potential and also has been consistently the focus and target of GPU (and other hw modules) vendors. But it also comes with caveats - too pricey to keep up with tech, games cannot be optimized for every PC configuration, games are buggy in some configurations and not in others, too difficult to develop and maintain code when you want to support that much variety in hardware...

Not sure exactly what's changed now to improve PC's "dominance" prospects. Not enough, I think.

Anyway, variety in platforms and strong alternatives is a good thing.

How many times you had to reinstall your windows, if it's more than once then it's not easy and if it's not more than once you lie. Xbox and playstation under my TV open automatically when I open the TV and they resume in a sec the game I was playing last time. Xbox and ps cost 500€ how much a decent pc cost without pirated or student windows?
I'm not lying, and I didn't even reinstall windows when I switched over from my Intel mobo and cpu, to AMD mobo and cpu. This isn't 1998 again. I got windows 10 for free as I did beta testing back in the day. I bought windows 10 for a friend for 10.35 for his first PC build. I showed him how to build his PC over discord video chat, and he had no knowledge prior.

I don't get why so many people have this weird idea of PC gaming, and instead of becoming informed, they would rather believe some random bs.

p1iU3b0.png

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It was extremely difficult to me and after I finished my CPU was smashing 4.3GHz on 2700x that I had to go to the bios to fucking calm it down. I've seen famous PC guys on youtube and none exceeded 4.2GHz due to part aren't communicating well. Also I planed to have 2TB NVMe m.2 SSD but Asus doesn't approve any in their recommendations, and some faced problems of these SSD's dying.

Also if I used the second m.2 slot it takes around 25% of the PCIe 3.0 going to the main GPU, making you have headaches to know why your GPU underperforming compared to others.

This was shown by one guy on youtube, the only one broke it down to deep analysis and how complicated and fucked up building a PC is:

Motherboard-Map.png

Also you fancy a SLI or Crossfire? Yea, you'll at best get 25% more than a single card, thanks to this fuckery.

Spent more than 100 hours reading, checking many websites about that specific motherboard I chose "ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi)". I'll always advice to download the PDF sheet of the tested hardware that is 100% compatible. I toned down my build from 64GB RAM to 32GB RAM because of that as well.

So no, even buying builds from so-called "expert" websites doesn't really mean your gonna be headache-free as most PC builds I see are too generic and basic. Even the power supply and other parts are according to ASUS recommendation.

Ok.......but you do realize that what you've just described is not typical, right? I've built a number of PCs over the years and I've never gone through any of that. And again, building is optional. Buying a gaming laptop or prebuilt PC is fine. And with that comes a warranty to deal with any/all issues just like a console does.

Faithless83

Banned
Game sales beg to differ.

PC gaming is a byproduct of console gaming striving and getting more expensive to produce.
You were not the focus back in the 90's and we have crappy PC ports to this day.

Please be humble and you're welcome. :messenger_sunglasses:

PCMR is just a meme.

M16

No, streaming gaming will be the future. Game anywhere, anytime, on any device, without worrying about specs, hardware, installation, upgrades.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Ok.......but you do realize that what you've just described is not typical, right? I've built a number of PCs over the years and I've never gone through any of that. And again, building is optional. Buying a gaming laptop or prebuilt PC is fine. And with that comes a warranty to deal with any/all issues just like a console does.

I think the reality is that the majority of PC gamers don't know that companies when building a motherboard they do their best to cut corners and still fill some bullet points which result in many extremely frustrating problems like SSD's dying without knowing why, RAM clocking lower than it's supposed to, GPU's suffering from power starvation. I always keep my PC facing me as I had 3 times now the PC started and all the 8 fans inside are stalled, which if not noticed could destroy my PC and important data.

sainraja

I doubt it will become the dominant platform given the level of investment needed in order to truly game on a PC and getting a controller to work across all games is a pain in the butt.

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
I love consoles and PCs, they all have their own purpose depending on who you are and what you're looking for. I don't understand the narrative that one needs to go away or be dominant over the other. This has been going on for decades and gaming has increased in popularity and all platforms have been thriving (outside all the chip shortages and console shortages issues).

Neofire

Sony put a few titles on PC and you got these mfs on here making broad statements like this lol.

I can't decide whats worse this or the idiot that said Sony should drop their consoles for PC gaming. Smh

I think the reality is that the majority of PC gamers don't know that companies when building a motherboard they do their best to cut corners and still fill some bullet points which result in many extremely frustrating problems like SSD's dying without knowing why, RAM clocking lower than it's supposed to, GPU's suffering from power starvation. I always keep my PC facing me as I had 3 times now the PC started and all the 8 fans inside are stalled, which if not noticed could destroy my PC and important data.
PCPartPicker and watching a 10 minute video on YouTube can go a long way for even those who have no knowledge or experience about building a PC. You can eliminate any potential compatibility issues. Plus you can see other users builds, and change out the gpu, ram, etc to your liking. None of my friends nor I have had any issues over many years of gaming.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
PCPartPicker and watching a 10 minute video on YouTube can go a long way for even those who have no knowledge or experience about building a PC. You can eliminate any potential compatibility issues. Plus you can see other users builds, and change out the gpu, ram, etc to your liking. None of my friends nor I have had any issues over many years of gaming.

Hope you continue to face no problems. My PC though is a video rendering and photo editing machine to me, so by nature I won't like having trouble like freezing when dealing with heavy video footage or losing data. I've used that website and many other as well, and eliminated many parts that they approved and used alternatives that are tested by Asus. Not sure if all motherboard providers offer the same recommendation sheet.

Also I had to manually download most of the drivers, it's really a hassle, especially when you get no notification for updates and need to check them manually.

Last edited:
It was extremely difficult to me and after I finished my CPU was smashing 4.3GHz on 2700x that I had to go to the bios to fucking calm it down. I've seen famous PC guys on youtube and none exceeded 4.2GHz due to parts aren't communicating well.
If you look at AMD's official specs, 4.3Ghz is the normal max boost clock for a 2700X. You didn't have to do anything.

Also I planned to have 2TB NVMe m.2 SSD but Asus doesn't approve any in their recommendations, and some faced problems of these SSD's dying.
That probably just means that none were out by the time the board specs were finalized. You can still put one in there and it'll work just fine. An yeah, SSDs can die, just like regular hard drives. It's rare, but it happens. Whether the drive is in a PC or a console makes no difference, so I don't see how consoles have the advantage here.

Also if I used the second m.2 slot it takes around 25% of the PCIe 3.0 going to the main GPU, making you have headaches to know why your GPU is underperforming compared to others.
That's nonsense. You'd have to be running dual 3090s for a 25% PCIe 3.0 bandwidth reduction to have any sort of effect on performance. No single card even comes close to maxing out PCIe 3.0 16x right now. Hell, most two-card setups can't do it either.

There is absolutely zero need for 99% of PC users to know or care about PCIe lane distribution, especially if they're building a gaming PC.

Nobody fancies SLI or Crossfire. SLI doesn't even exist anymore. This is utterly irrelevant for gaming.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm not saying that PC games don't do well It just seems the games sell better on the consoles in most cases

The reason you feel like that might be because PC games are infamously not as front loaded and focused around the top of the pops as the console market. PC games market have a near-infinite life span and wide demographic.

Last edited:
Hope you continue to face no problems. My PC though is a video rendering and photo editing machine to me, so by nature I won't like having trouble like freezing when dealing with heavy video footage or losing data. I've used that website and many other as well, and eliminated many parts that they approved and used alternatives that are tested by Asus. Not sure if all motherboard providers offer the same recommendation sheet.
For motherboards, I start of with my processor. From there I can find what is the best manufacturer with the features that I want. (Each manufacturer has dozens of motherboards of the same family). So if you want wifi, 3 m.2 slots, 3 PCI slots, etc, you'll have multiple options to pick from. You'll see all the compatibility and so forth.

When you have freezes, what exactly are you doing when that happens? Can you pinpoint what could be the cause? Is it something you can repeat? What program are you using? You can PM me if it's too off topic.

What? Nah. Let me give you an example:
  • 3080ti $1200
  • PS5: $399
We've already had these conversations in the past, you can't build a PC as cheap that's comparable to the entry point/performance of a console.

"But booby, you're making an apples to oranges comparison!?" Am I? UE5 looks like it's going to bust out some pretty impressive games. We're in the territory of diminishing returns on visuals, and it's going to come down to developers and new rendering methods/techniques that will really push us into the next generation of graphics fidelity. Sure, you may be able to run a game at 700FPS, and the consoles will probably stick to a 60FPS target, but if they are looking spot on, that seems like if anything, consoles are poised to whittle down the existing share that PC gaming currently enjoys. To an extent*.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

tusharngf

Someone who is from india i can tell you everyone here plays DOTA 2 and CSGO. Most of them buy games on steam sales. The console presence is not that strong. 1 in 20 owns a console but everyone whom i know has a descent PC to play games. The real issue is Microsoft and Sony are not sending enough stock here in india. PC market is very strong here due to cheaper game prices. We do face issue with GPU prices since they are far from normal. India and china are totally PC fanbase. Consoles are luxury items and game prices are abysmal.

PC gaming seems like a niche to me. I've never ever seen anyone who plays on PC. Every person I have ever met who plays games, play them on a console.

Jaybe

Perhaps. Isn’t PC’s recent player growth over the past 3 to 6 years driven by F2P games played on hardware people already own? This isn’t a bad thing just it’s not the high end GPU expensive PCMR type driving this that some people may think it is and I doubt it ever will be.

elliot5

PC has literally always been the dominant gaming platform. League of Legends alone has as many monthly players as PS4s have been sold. Steam has 120M monthly active users.

Just because PC doesn't get a game like God of War on release doesn't mean it's not dominant. It is THE place to play in Asia predominantly, and around the world as a collective. Mobile is probably second.

Blond

Banned
Yeah no way I’m paying 500 dollars for an entry level GPU LOL. Pc gaming is officially the old 2000s meme of “you can buy a whole console for the price of a single part” which was true to an extent even back then but you always got your money’s worth. Now you can’t even build a PC on par with a Ps5 or Series X for the price for 500 dollars, much less even get the parts for one!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
For motherboards, I start of with my processor. From there I can find what is the best manufacturer with the features that I want. (Each manufacturer has dozens of motherboards of the same family). So if you want wifi, 3 m.2 slots, 3 PCI slots, etc, you'll have multiple options to pick from. You'll see all the compatibility and so forth.

When you have freezes, what exactly are you doing when that happens? Can you pinpoint what could be the cause? Is it something you can repeat? What program are you using? You can PM me if it's too off topic.

No I get zero freezes in my recent PC, but it's a problem that some face when RAM isn't clocking as supposed to. Also went for 32GB as it's somehow an overkill for ease of mind.

What's funny is a photo editor I use that uses so much AI known as Luminar 4 could eat up to 10GB of RAM! I've not started editing 10-but 4K footage yet but with 8-bit it didn't go more than 8GB of RAM as I remember. Sometimes you would use both as you would import the images to the video editor, and with lots of RAW images for timelapse that can eat more RAM.

I had nightmares with 8GB RAM with that new iMAC Pro and Premier Pro when contracted someone to film and edit for me, now happy that I invested in a new PC in 2019 with free DaVinci Resolve 17 and upgrading to Studio soon.

Thanks for the help, mate ;) Currently it's all good for now.

TrebleShot

Initially taking your arguments into account you may think you would be right but unfortunately alot of your pros for PC gaming are also negatives.

- PC gaming is driven by a younger crowd that aren't bothered (in my experience) in high end graphics and highly expensive rigs. They want to play and their parents are unlikely to drop thousands on a gaming PC. Which in turn will lead to most innovation and technical advancement being developed on PC but driven by consoles in a closed environment and also a guaranteed user base of millions.

- In the future these kids will most likely study and get jobs leading to a shift in priorities, why spend thousands on a gaming PC when you can spend almost half and have innovative features and a compatible experience with little to no time sink into set up etc.

- The mindshare point is incorrect, Sony is aiming for 50% market share, the rest of the 50% is taken up by other gaming platforms including PC, Switch, Xbox and Mobile with Mobile taking up most of the rest (haven't checked these numbers but I did read an article on it recently).

- As you can see in recent events the xbox and ps5 are highly desirable products with celebrity endorsements, sold out completely and no slowing down to their sales. This is also prevelent in the Graphic card space but the compatible sales data is in a different league. There isn't any way around it consoles are in higher demand than PC or graphics cards.

Anecdotally I have two nephews who love gaming and they absolutely love Roblox, do you know where they play? Their mums clapped out old galaxy phone that's about 3 years old. They don't care or know about PC as a gaming platform.

You may love and enjoy PC gaming and that is absolutely your propagative but its not even close to being the dominant gaming platform now or most likely the next 10 years.

Oh and forgot to mention Discord is coming to PSR5/XBOX

Last edited:

elliot5

Initially taking your arguments into account you may think you would be right but unfortunately alot of your pros for PC gaming are also negatives.

- PC gaming is driven by a younger crowd that aren't bothered (in my experience) in high end graphics and highly expensive rigs. They want to play and their parents are unlikely to drop thousands on a gaming PC. Which in turn will lead to most innovation and technical advancement being developed on PC but driven by consoles in a closed environment and also a guaranteed user base of millions.

- In the future these kids will most likely study and get jobs leading to a shift in priorities, why spend thousands on a gaming PC when you can spend almost half and have innovative features and a compatible experience with little to no time sink into set up etc.

- The mindshare point is incorrect, Sony is aiming for 50% market share, the rest of the 50% is taken up by other gaming platforms including PC, Switch, Xbox and Mobile with Mobile taking up most of the rest (haven't checked these numbers but I did read an article on it recently).

- As you can see in recent events the xbox and ps5 are highly desirable products with celebrity endorsements, sold out completely and no slowing down to their sales. This is also prevelent in the Graphic card space but the compatible sales data is in a different league. There isn't any way around it consoles are in higher demand than PC or graphics cards.

Anecdotally I have two nephews who love gaming and they absolutely love Roblox, do you know where they play? Their mums clapped out old galaxy phone that's about 3 years old. They don't care or know about PC as a gaming platform.

You may love and enjoy PC gaming and that is absolutely your propagative but its not even close to being the dominant gaming platform now or most likely the next 10 years.

Oh and forgot to mention Discord is coming to PSR5/XBOX
only console market share, not including PC. That would never happen with PC and Mobile included.
sony-ps5-playstation-5-2.original.jpg

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Not a fan of high end gaming PC stuff but if you stick to mid end stuff it’s affordable and still better then Ps5/XSX performance. My prebuilt Alienware cost about the same price as getting an XSX and a PS5. It also runs cirlces around them in game performance Easily getting above 120fps in games that struggle at 30/60fps on console.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

This isn't factual, it's subjective, leave it at that.

I'll always be pro PC, but come on now, don't be ridiculous.

what console players think of pc players:

hmQtD4K.jpg

what pc players think of console players:

xH7Tbnp.jpg

my extremely thoughtful opinion of the matter:

YiIwhPg.jpg

Top Bottom