• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCIe 5.0 spec has been finalized. Devices already in development.

Leonidas

The PCI-SIG organization today released the final PCI Express 5.0 specification. The new interconnect standard doubles the bandwidth to 32 GT/s per lane less than two years after PCIe 4.0 debuted. PCI-SIG members can download the full specification from the organization's website.

The first meaningful PCIe 4.0 products for consumers are only being released this year, most notably the CPUs and GPUs from AMD, which most likely means that PCIe 5.0 will be a relatively fast follow-up. Intel has already announced that its Agilex FPGA will support PCIe 5.0, and its cache-coherent Compute Express Link (CXL) relies on PCIe 5.0.

2x the bandwidth over Gen 4.

Great to see technology advancing :goog_smile_face_eyes:

Wonder when we'll see the first PCIe Gen 5 PCs. Been stuck on Gen 3 for so long, Gen 4 looks like a stop gap to Gen 5...

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Great to see technology advancing :goog_smile_face_eyes:

Wonder when we'll see the first PCIe Gen 5 PCs. Been stuck on Gen 3 for so long, Gen 4 looks like a stop gap to Gen 5...

Looks like Gen4 will be for consoles.

LordOfChaos

Fuck me, I'm in generation 3 and I though that I was at current gen

It was, and will be until Ryzen 3000 ships in July with 4.0, seems like 4.0 is going to be pretty short lived.

With Intels delays I wonder if they'll just never have a desktop with 4.0?

The question is do we even need it?

Seems like we won't for quite some time.

Right now, even PCIe 4.0 is of limited value. Even the fastest GPUs of today are still not limited by PCIe 3.0 x16 bandwidth. That might change in a few years so it's nice to upgrade to 4.0 relatively soon. One day we will see new GPU's that are truly bottle-necked if installed in PCIe 3.0 x16 slot. I wonder how soon that will be. And now ask yourself how long will it be until GPU's can actually benefit from PCIe 5.0. I think it's going to be a LONG time until that happens. Probably 5+ years.

For SSD's things are different, they can already benefit from PCIe4.0 today. NVMe drives are already limited by PCIe 3.0 bandwidth and moving to 4.0 there will be new NVME drives released soon that dramatically increase their speeds ( ~3500 to 5000 ). Theoretically new NVMEs based on 4.0 could top out at just under 8GB/s I think.

So when will PCIe 5.0 start to benefit gamers? IMO that day is still 5+ years away.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Seems like we won't for quite some time.

Right now, even PCIe 4.0 is of limited value. Even the fastest GPUs of today are still not limited by PCIe 3.0 x16 bandwidth. That might change in a few years so it's nice to upgrade to 4.0 relatively soon. One day we will see new GPU's that are truly bottle-necked if installed in PCIe 3.0 x16 slot. I wonder how soon that will be. And now ask yourself how long will it be until GPU's can actually benefit from PCIe 5.0. I think it's going to be a LONG time until that happens. Probably 5+ years.

For SSD's things are different, they can already benefit from PCIe4.0 today. NVMe drives are already limited by PCIe 3.0 bandwidth and moving to 4.0 there will be new NVME drives released soon that dramatically increase their speeds ( ~3500 to 5000 ). Theoretically new NVMEs based on 4.0 could top out at just under 8GB/s I think.

So when will PCIe 5.0 start to benefit gamers? IMO that day is still 5+ years away.

Great foresight.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
KCq7N5x.gif

Yeah, well, PCIe 4.0 was completely pointless even at the time they showed the roadmap which clearly showed that PCIe 5.0 will be available very soon after PCIe 4.0. And so next-gen consoles already outdated a year before release. Congrats.

Last edited:
Top Bottom