• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCMR of Gaf I need your help on screen tearing and stuttering

GlockSaint

Hey everyone, so I've recently started gaming on pc and got far cry 3, doom eternal and Wolfenstein. My biggest complaint is that there is screen tearing or stuttering or what it's called every time i move the camera really fast. I've used fraps but it shows no framerate drops during said tearing. It's also really bizzare in doom eternal as it runs at 100+fps. I have a ryzen 2700 and gtx 1160.
Far cry 3 strangely runs at 45-50fps no matter the settings whether it being high or ultra. So what can i do to fix the tearing because it makes the games impossible to play during battle sections. Thanks in advance.

Guilty_AI

Turn on v sync for screen tearing.

As for why far cry 3 is running low on fps, i've no idea, but it isn't uncommon for older titles to have these sort of issues. It might be worth it to turn everything to low and then check which setting is causing the fps drops (its usually stuff like LOD or shadow res)

ZywyPL

Banned
No G-sync/Freesync I guess? Well your best bet would be to cap the framerate to 60, and lower the settings to hit that mark in games like FC3. Unless you don't mind extra input-lag, then turning V-Sync on solves the problem, but I don't think it would be a good idea especially in teh fast-paced titles you mentioned.

NeilH1982

Banned
Go to Nvidia control panel (right mouse click on desktop) from there :

3D settings - program settings - add program - add the game your playing from the pop-up- look for triple-buffering - select on - save settings

that should help with the tearing, turn off V-sync in game

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
Don't turn on v-sync or triple buffering. It introduced monstrous input lag. Go into nvidia settings and activate FAST SYNC. It's the best solution so far, but make sure games are above 60 fps or some stutters will appear.

Last edited:

GlockSaint

Turn on v sync for screen tearing.

As for why far cry 3 is running low on fps, i've no idea, but it isn't uncommon for older titles to have these sort of issues. It might be worth it to turn everything to low and then check which setting is causing the fps drops (its usually stuff like LOD or shadow res)
Strange thing is that I've seen a guy on YouTube running it at 90+fps with the same card and ryzen 3200. I don't think the cpu is the bottleneck here. Maybe it's a bad install?

HE1NZ

Banned
Strange thing is that I've seen a guy on YouTube running it at 90+fps with the same card and ryzen 3200. I don't think the cpu is the bottleneck here. Maybe it's a bad install?
There might be some setting that messes is up. If it have PhysX stuff, turn it off. Turn off any vsync options that comes with the game. Try stuff. It should fly 200+ frames.

Guilty_AI

We'd have to know at which settings he's running the game compared to yours. Theres usually some that can severely hamper performance. As i said before LOD and Shadow res might be worth a shot.

Edit: I read that post fx in this game has a pretty big performance hit. Try setting it down a bit. Also try reducing MSAA if its too high.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Install Rivatuner Statistics Server (comes bundled with MSI Afterburner, which it always worth having installed) and set up overlays to monitor how each of the relevant components are doing when you're playing. It helps identify what's causing you to lose frames. If you mean "Bad install" with regards to software installation, that's not a thing. Graphics card settings could be, but that's for you to say if you messed with anything. If it's bad hardware installation, I may be wrong but outside of bad thermal paste application I don't think that's a thing either.

With regards to tearing, I'll try and summarise.

Software solutions
  • V-Sync
    • Classic method
    • Input lag
  • Triple buffering
    • Input lag
  • Borderless fullscreen windowed mode (game setting)
    • Works by letting Windows apply V-Sync as it does to every normal window, so there's input lag
    • Has the additional benefit of easy alt-tabbing, which not all games support in exclusive fullscreen mode
  • Fast sync
    • An NVidia solution that works by simply keeping a "Last rendered frame" available
    • Not much worse input lag than no V-Sync, which is a big bonus
    • Only works at fps above your monitor's refresh rate (so 60+ for you)
Hardware solutions
  • G-Sync
    • The original modern solution
    • More expensive as it's proprietary, but considered the best AFAIK
  • Freesync/Freesync 2/Freesync Pro
    • The alternative created to G-Sync
    • Doesn't come at as high a price increase as G-Sync, but can be more limited depending on the implementation
  • HDMI 2.1
    • Newest solution, HMDI only, not widely adopted yet, more a TV thing than monitors
    • Specifically, VRR is the feature addition. It's basically the above, but a perfect pair with HDMI 2.1 also supporting 120hz
So you have choices. Hardware is better, but of course it comes at a cost as you need to buy a monitor with G/Freesync or a brand new HDMI2.1 TV with VRR and a GPU that supports G-Sync over HDMI.

Last edited:

GlockSaint

We'd have to know at which settings he's running the game compared to yours. Theres usually some that can severely hamper performance. As i said before LOD and Shadow res might be worth a shot.

Edit: I read that post fx in this game has a pretty big performance hit. Try setting it down a bit. Also try reducing MSAA if its too high.
Alright thanks a lot will try it.

Install Rivatuner Statistics Server (comes bundled with MSI Afterburner, which it always worth having installed) and set up overlays to monitor how each of the relevant components are doing when you're playing. It helps identify what's causing you to lose frames. If you mean "Bad install" with regards to software installation, that's not a thing. Graphics card settings could be, but that's for you to say if you messed with anything. If it's bad hardware installation, I may be wrong but outside of bad thermal paste application I don't think that's a thing either.

With regards to tearing, I'll try and summarise.

Software solutions
  • V-Sync
    • Classic method
    • Input lag
  • Triple buffering
    • Input lag
  • Borderless fullscreen windowed mode (game setting)
    • Works by letting Windows apply V-Sync as it does to every normal window, so there's input lag
    • Has the additional benefit of easy alt-tabbing, which not all games support in exclusive fullscreen mode
  • Fast sync
    • An NVidia solution that works by simply keeping a "Last rendered frame" available
    • Not much worse input lag than no V-Sync, which is a big bonus
    • Only works at fps above your monitor's refresh rate (so 60+ for you)
Hardware solutions
  • G-Sync
    • The original modern solution, it's a hardware feature monitors have
    • More expensive as it's proprietary, but considered the best AFAIK
  • Freesync/Freesync 2/Freesync Pro
    • The alternative created to G-Sync
    • Doesn't come at as high a price increase as G-Sync, but can be more limited depending on the implementation
  • HDMI 2.1
    • Newest solution, HMDI only, not widely adopted yet, more a TV thing than monitors
    • Specifically, VRR is the feature addition. It's basically the above, but made to pair with HDMI 2.1 supporting 120hz
So you have choices. Hardware is better, but of course it comes at a cost.
Many thanks for the write up, will definitely try these tips.

Armorian

Banned
Hey everyone, so I've recently started gaming on pc and got far cry 3, doom eternal and Wolfenstein. My biggest complaint is that there is screen tearing or stuttering or what it's called every time i move the camera really fast. I've used fraps but it shows no framerate drops during said tearing. It's also really bizzare in doom eternal as it runs at 100+fps. I have a ryzen 2700 and gtx 1160.
Far cry 3 strangely runs at 45-50fps no matter the settings whether it being high or ultra. So what can i do to fix the tearing because it makes the games impossible to play during battle sections. Thanks in advance.

Run Far Cry 3 in DX9, DX11 is a mess in this game

Turn on vsync, only solution for tearing if you don't have adaptive sync monitor

Don't turn on v-sync or triple buffering. It introduced monstrous input lag. Go into nvidia settings and activate FAST SYNC. It's the best solution so far, but make sure games are above 60 fps or some stutters will appear.

Game needs to run on 120fps for fast sync to work correctly on 60hz displays.

T-Cake

So if you set a frame rate cap using RTSS or Nvidia Control Panel and then adjust settings to make sure you are always hitting 60fps can you disable Vsync completely to reduce input lag?

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

I can give some feedback as ive just fired up Blood Dragon ( i never finished it)

- If you dont have Freesync/Gsync - Disable in game vsync and use adaptive sync
- Make sure you set low latency mode to On in NV settings. Ive found in BD that the max prerendered frame's set to 1 also gave me a significantly more stable frame rate
- Make sure the fc3 process is set to High - Hint (Use Prio, it saves the priority so you dont have to redo it each time)
- Turn down PostFx if that's there - in BD, its an fps killer

Enjoy the best Far Cry game

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned

Are you running farcry3 in dx9 or dx11 mode?

ZywyPL

Banned
IMO Fast Sync is bad, sounds good in theory but in practice if you don't hit at least the exact X multiplier of your monitor's refresh rate (120/180/240/300) but like 97, 107, 163, 210FPS etc. then it copies the missing frames, resulting in an awful judder. The higher the FPS the less noticeable it is, but still, not an elegant solution in practice, especially in the sub-120FPS territory.

Last edited:

Keihart

Always Vsync and limit the framerates if possible. There is no use in having more than 60 if your monitor doesnt support them, there is always the risk of a half frame here or there. I hate that shit, even the fucking frame pacing of Bloodborne it's better than screen tearing.

If you are hitting most of the time above 60, then it shouldn't be much problem to vsync and frame cap.
I used to use rivaturner but lately i haven't had issues again.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

Fast sync doesn't really work anymore for some weird reason the last time I tried.

But I'd say to OP, get a G Sync Monitor. Gaming will never be the same again.

Soodanim

Gold Member
IMO Fast Sync is bad, sounds good in theory but in practice if you don't hit at least the exact X multiplier of your monitor's refresh rate (120/180/240/300) but like 97, 107, 163, 210FPS etc. then it copies the missing frames, resulting in an awful judder. The higher the FPS the less noticeable it is, but still, not an elegant solution in practice, especially in the sub-120FPS territory.
I remember reading this when it was first released, but it was in the context of games like CS1.6/Go where 300fps is likely. My quick searches only turned up info about the "Last Rendered Frame" part which is described as the crux of it, which cuts out the torn frame issue by always holding a complete one. Sounded like doubling wasn't necessary. But I'm out of touch as I have a G-Sync monitor.

I'll never buy a primary monitor without G-Sync or equivalent again, and I'll never buy a TV without VRR as minimum. With all this tech existing, it's just too easy to avoid tearing. Hell, I won't even have to make the sacrifice of only 60fps in supported games when I upgrade my TV to something with HDMI2.1.

GlockSaint GlockSaint , honestly, this 144hz G-Sync monitor I bought 5 years ago is still well worth the money I paid for it. 144hz makes even moving the mouse so much smoother, and G-Sync made me never have to worry about tearing again. And tech's only gotten better since then. If you got into PC because you like 60fps over 30fps, 120+ is the logical extension of that and you won't regret it. I went in blind and it paid off in dividends.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Yes there is use for higher framerate if your monitor is only 60 fps. It lowers input lag.

U want to get rid of input lag and screen tearing, get a gsync or freesync screen. U will never have it anymore. Also eliminates microstutter.

HE1NZ

Banned
Far Cry 3 should easily do 120+. And it's not a game I'd rush to spend $500+ on a new display for. To be honest, I discovered it very recently, but so far it works wonderful. It works with Halo MCC when limited to 60 fps too.

GlockSaint

Are you running farcry3 in dx9 or dx11 mode?
D9x

Yes there is use for higher framerate if your monitor is only 60 fps. It lowers input lag.

U want to get rid of input lag and screen tearing, get a gsync or freesync screen. U will never have it anymore. Also eliminates microstutter.
Yeah from the replies in this thread i think i should definitely do that, any monitor you van recommend?

Kenpachii

D9x

Yeah from the replies in this thread i think i should definitely do that, any monitor you van recommend?

No clue in this day of age anymore sorry. Didn't follow the tech for the last 2 years so lots of changes probably happened. I moved myself over from 60hz > 180hz and gsync and frankly the no stutter + no screen tearing is godly. Low fps won't look janky anymore but still feels clunky as higher input lag.

I guess freesync is on every screen now for free so a good alternative towards it and probably could perform about as good these days not sure about that.

Here's a example that showcases well what that tech does vs a screen without that tech.

I timestamped it, just look how clean no stutter and tearing there is on the left side with gsync.

Here's another example where its good visible on what it does:

However the stutter issue you experience could also have something do with with other things tho like the ryzen. the 2000 series and specially 1000 series are known to have issues with stuttering in games so it could be that. U can probably find some youtube video's of the game u play with the CPU to see if it goes smooth for them or they experience some additional issue's.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
get a gsync/gsync compatible (freesync) monitor. problem solved.

i wish i got mine sooner. no more stuttering, input lag, or tearing. i can never go back to a monitor without VRR.

if you don't want to buy one then best solution is just enabling vsync and using something like Rivatuner (comes with MSI Afterburner) or the Nvidia drivers to cap games at 59/60hz.

Last edited:
Top Bottom