• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are runing it in windows 7 or vista then you have to run it as an administrator otherwise it wont work. Thats my shot in the dark for a fix.

Lostconfused said:
If you are runing it in windows 7 or vista then you have to run it as an administrator otherwise it wont work. Thats my shot in the dark for a fix.

This. I had the exact same problem and fixes it this way.

Darkpen

Banned
Rez said:
I always thought the environments in FFXII were garbage from a pure graphical standppint (although I played it for the first time a year or two into the HD gen). The character models were nice, but the environments lost SO MUCH visual charisma in order to build levels that accommodate a rotating camera and real-time battle system. Similarly, when the FF series went 3D with FFX, they lost a certain spark as well, I think.

My opinion would almost definitely be different had I played FFXII for the first time back when it was released. With that being said, pre-FFX Final Fantasy games look better today, in my opinion.
I know its a matter of opinion, but what your suggesting feels nostalgia driven, more than design. I can understand what you mean by your FFXII 3D camera point, but the FFX one? Do you mean the general "charm" of not having voice overs and such detailed faces + lipsync? I don't understand.

Basileus777 said:
This. I had the exact same problem and fixes it this way.
Thanks for the tips guys!

However, for some reason I can't figure out how to run it as an Admin. For most games and stuff, I just right-click the desktop shortcut and click "Run as Administrator", but that option's not showing up for PCSX no matter how I try to access the program.

I am trying to run pcsx2 im only getting about 37-40fps on ffx with all the speed hacks. Does that sound right for a T5850 at 2.1ghz, 3 gig ram and 256mb graphics card?

EGM92

Straightballin said:
I am trying to run pcsx2 im only getting about 37-40fps on ffx with all the speed hacks. Does that sound right for a T5850 at 2.1ghz, 3 gig ram and 256mb graphics card?

Yes that's about right the T5850 is midrange of a midrange Mobile CPU so that's whats limiting you right now. You'd need to get that baby to 3.0ghz to see full 60fps+ speeds.

tokkun

Straightballin said:

You need a faster CPU

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Darkpen said:
I know its a matter of opinion, but what your suggesting feels nostalgia driven, more than design. I can understand what you mean by your FFXII 3D camera point, but the FFX one? Do you mean the general "charm" of not having voice overs and such detailed faces + lipsync? I don't understand.
It's not something I've really given a huge amount of thought to, so my opinions here are kinda half-baked, but the way I look at it is: FFX, while looking great (and much better than FFXII), still lost a tad of the identity of the previous games. I played through FFVII for the very first time a week ago, and I can safely say that nothing in FFX is really as memorable to me visually as, say, Midgar was, or Balamb Garden in FFVIII. The most logical reason I can think of for this is that the team at Square couldn't go as crazy from an architectural standpoint because they actually had to render everything in 3D.

With that being said, there's that one area that I can think of in in FFX that was probably as impressive to me. There's a map in Besaid Isle in FFX, where you run across a mountainside path, under waterfalls and through some ancient looking relics, and then you get to the end and the camera pans out and you see everything at once, that was absolutely stunning, even when I played it late last year.

So yeah, it's not something that keeps me up at night, it's just something that I think is a bit of a shame.

As far as voice acting versus text boxes is concerned, that's a whole other can of worms. Long story short, unless the VA is top-notch (think Grim Fandango or Uncharted), then I prefer games without them. With that being said, once again, I don't really care if "bad" VA is in the game, I'd just prefer it wasn't.

I finally got Ico to boot, but now I can't get my DS3 to work with PCSX2. I have the drivers for it installed and everything, and it even shows up in PCSX2 under config. It's in the "Device Diagnostics" area where it lets me test all the buttons.

I'm not sure how to get it to act as one of the pads. =/

Numbers

makingmusic476 said:
I finally got Ico to boot, but now I can't get my DS3 to work with PCSX2. I have the drivers for it installed and everything, and it even shows up in PCSX2 under config. It's in the "Device Diagnostics" area where it lets me test all the buttons.

I'm not sure how to get it to act as one of the pads. =/
Did you map all the buttons?

Aldramelk

Neo Member
Any idea how this would run on:

Athlon X2 5600
8800 GTS 320

or

P8700
260GTXM

Thanks, might be picking up a new laptop soon and would be good to turn the old desktop into a media/ps2 box.

numbers said:
Did you map all the buttons?
I..

I

-_-

I didn't think I was even able to do that. I assumed I had to specify that it should use the DS3 before I could map any buttons.

Thanks for slapping me up the side of the head with my stupidity. I figured it out now. :lol

I have messed around with PCSX2 a little bit but not too much because I only have a laptop w/ a Mobility Radeon HD 2600 and a T5750 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. Most games I tried were way to slow frame rate to play. I am planning on getting one of brain_stew's $500 Ultimate Gaming Rigs so I'm interested on how well that would run PCSX2. I will probably use it mostly for fighting games or wrestling games so I am hoping I can get full speed from it.

smuf

edgefusion said:
Any idea how this would run on a MacBook Pro emulating Windows? Got your emulator in your emulator and all that.

Virtualisation is not emulation. And it wouldn't run very well, you'd be much better off using BootCamp.

ArjanN

vazel said:
Does anyone else get flickering in Shadow of Rome?

Try pressing F5 a couple of times. That should fix it.

I think Shadow of Rome does have some other graphic issues though, the fog effect doesn't seem to work correctly for one.

DieH@rd

Banned
New version of pcsx2 is out v1474 [together with the brand new installer with the latest plugins].

Pcsx2 beta 1474
Changelog
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) now required. Use the installer, it will install it automatically.
- Many changes to VIf/Gif, resulting in more accurate emulation. Bugs fixed in many games.
- Gust games workaround implemented. The Gust games broken in 1329 now work again
- Too many microvu changes to list. Let's simply say, most bugs have been solved, and speed has improved. Test it out please if you will
- Usual cleanups and optimizations
- A lot of progress on both wxgui branch and R3000air branches. Nothing normal users can see for now though.

And, too many plugins changes to list, mostly to gsdx.

Enjoy

inner-G

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:
I have messed around with PCSX2 a little bit but not too much because I only have a laptop w/ a Mobility Radeon HD 2600 and a T5750 2 GHz Core 2 Duo. Most games I tried were way to slow frame rate to play. I am planning on getting one of brain_stew's $500 Ultimate Gaming Rigs so I'm interested on how well that would run PCSX2. I will probably use it mostly for fighting games or wrestling games so I am hoping I can get full speed from it.
Fighting games are always a bitch to run on an emulator at perfect speed, even old ones.

There's sooo little room for error.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
This emulator still has a very long way to go in my opinion. It's far from perfect. I tried for 8 fucking hours straight the other day to get Ridge Racer V....one of the very FIRST PS2 games released to work on my machine and couldn't get it to run smoothly. I'm on a pretty nice rig too.

Windows XP Pro
Core2Duo 8500 Extreme OC'ed to 4.2Ghz
ATI 4870 1GB Gpu
2TB HDD
3.2GB DDR3 Ram

Are there ANY driving games that run smoothly on PCSX2?

ArjanN

isamu said:
This emulator still has a very long way to go in my opinion. It's far from perfect. I tried for 8 fucking hours straight the other day to get Ridge Racer V....one of the very FIRST PS2 games released to work on my machine and couldn't get it to run smoothly. I'm on a pretty nice rig too.

Windows XP Pro
Core2Duo 8500 Extreme OC'ed to 4.2Ghz
ATI 4870 1GB Gpu
2TB HDD
3.2GB DDR3 Ram

Are there ANY driving games that run smoothly on PCSX2?

It has nothing to do with when the game was released for PS2. On your system every PS2 games could potentially run at full speed. Except those that just aren't completely emulated yet, so they will run badly no matter what system you have.

But there are also a lot of games that work perfect/near perfect.

I don't know about racing games specifically, because I don't care about those.

DieH@rd

Banned
I AM WHAT THE GODS HAVE MADE ME!!!!

I just tried God of War 1, and it works perfectly [at least in the beginning].

latest pcsx2, Win7 RC, dx10, 1200/1200 internal res, all options ON except that 2 "micro VU" boxes.
ipcbjt.jpg

@ Phenom II x2 550 ~ 80$
& ATI 4670 ~ 50$

:D

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Finally got to install a 64 bit OS and after playing around with it all I can say is WOWWW

The difference in rendering at a higher resolution is unreal. I knew it made a big difference from playing PC games but I never expected it to be this good. FFXII is amazing, pretty much current gen even if it has low quality textures. It runs perfect too. Now I'm finally in the mood for some PS2 love.

What's the current best graphics plugin btw? GSdx?

i have a pretty good rig (64-bit OS and able to run crysis on medium to high settings). what are the chances of me being able to play through MGS3 in HD with a steady framerate?

the official page says it's "playable," but offers no comment with regards to the frame rate. has anyone tried it? i dont really know where PS2 emulation is at right now
and the op of this thread sucks

autobzooty said:
i have a pretty good rig (64-bit OS and able to run crysis on medium to high settings). what are the chances of me being able to play through MGS3 in HD with a steady framerate?

the official page says it's "playable," but offers no comment with regards to the frame rate. has anyone tried it? i dont really know where PS2 emulation is at right now
and the op of this thread sucks

MGS3 is a pretty demanding game. Even with a good CPU you'll encounter a fair bit of slowdown. Unless you have a fast/overclocked CPU, I wouldn't expect to get a steady framerate with it.

The official page isn't very useful for information on how games play, it's better to simply search the PCSX2 forums.

Hmm...I gave it a try and I can ALMOST run MGS3 at a steady framerate at the native resolution, but there are odd graphics glitches and things that just dont show up. many effects on the game, including that fuzzy filter that is there for the entire game that makes everything looks kinda blurry and foggy, just dont show up in the emulator. i wonder if i could fix it with the right plugin/settings...

I did take a screenshot at 1280x720, though. even without the filter, the game looks gorgeous when upscaled. i want this to hit PSN in HD sooo badly.

28k5648.png

SarBear

Hmmm, I just downloaded the newest revision, and I have my ps2's bios loaded into the correct directory. What kind of settings should I be using to load a game?

If screenshots are available, that would be very helpful. The people over at the official forums are not very friendly...

inner-G

Banned
SarBear said:
Hmmm, I just downloaded the newest revision, and I have my ps2's bios loaded into the correct directory. What kind of settings should I be using to load a game?

If screenshots are available, that would be very helpful. The people over at the official forums are not very friendly...
Several people posted screens of their settings on pg. 18 in this thread, if that helps.

yanhero

SarBear said:

Do you want to load a game from your dvd drive? or load it from an iso?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
How well do you think it'll run on a
Vista 32 Bit
2Gig Ram(Could upgrade to 4)
GForce 8800GT
2.13 2x Core.

And also, is it even capable of running on Vista? Or do I have to trouble shoot and encounter problems? :lol

Tendo

Any guides on the best setup for ffxii? I have the hardware to run a decent framerate at dx10, just having troubles setting up the plugins :(

News Bot

Banned
I did take a screenshot at 1280x720, though. even without the filter, the game looks gorgeous when upscaled. i want this to hit PSN in HD sooo badly.

It will look shit on a HDTV. PS3/HDTV upscaling works nothing like the "upscaling" through emulators.

Yasae

Banned
It'd be nice if we could get some Xenosaga: Ep. 1 or Ep. 3 shots in here. That, or some of the Silent Hills... Those looked great as they were.

ArjanN

Yasae said:
It'd be nice if we could get some Xenosaga: Ep. 1 or Ep. 3 shots in here. That, or some of the Silent Hills... Those looked great as they were.

Silent Hill 2,3,4 and 5 had PC versions. Kind of pointless to emulate them.

What would be the program to use for ATi cards in order to force AA and AF like nHancer for nVidia cards? Can it just be done in the CCC?

hey guys, i have an Intel Q9300 and i was wondering, if i OC it to 3.0ghz would i get a significant improvement over it's real performance?

onken

I have an E8400@3GHz, which I understand is fine. However my performance is pretty poor on most games which I'm assuming is due to my crappy 8500GT. Would a 9800GT be OK? My PC is pretty cool/quiet so I don't really want to put a graphics monster in there.

intheinbetween said:
hey guys, i have an Intel Q9300 and i was wondering, if i OC it to 3.0ghz would i get a significant improvement over it's real performance?

Yeah 2.5 -> 3GHz should give quite a speed improvement. I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom