• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigiv

jett said:
scitek: go to config -> graphics -> and increase the "D3D internal res". Ideally match it with the regular "resolution" option(which is just output), or even better put the internal res even highter, that will yield you an AA-like effect. Those SotC shots of yours are upscaled.
AA-like?

onken

onken said:
I have an E8400 which I can push to about 3.40GHz, however I get terrible performance which I blame on my crappy 8500GT.

I was thinking of upgrading to something like a HD5770, would that be overkill or *gulp* not enough to beat the bottleneck?

An answer on this would be most appreciated :D

kinggroin

Banned
onken said:

I have mine at 4ghz, and the 4870 is a bottleneck, so I imagine the slightly slower 5770 might be as well, even at 3.4ghz.

Of course, things change when you have the occasional game that supports more than two cores.

edit: In regards to this particular emulator, you're perfectly fine from a GPU standpoint (doesn't require a monster one), but it's definitely a CPU hog. In this case, your e8400 will be holding you back.

hell, at 4ghz, I'm still not getting absolutely perfect performance.

vazel

Banned
THE Caffeinated said:
Will games run better with an .iso rather than the actual disk ? I've tried playing FFX off my disk and it runs perfectly until it needs to transition for whatever reason and it will like stutter for a few seconds before going back to normal, I was wondering if maybe backing the disk up to an .iso than running that might fix this ?
PC drives are designed with aggressive power saving features. They'll keep spinning down in moments of inactivity then when data has to be accessed they have to spin back up again. That causes pauses in gameplay.
onken said:
This emulator is very heavy on the CPU. You'll usually be bottlenecked by the CPU before the GPU. Even those with oc'ed 3.5GHz+ CPUs don't get perfect performance.

I'm not sure how the 8500GT stacks up but one way to check to see if it's bottlenecking you is to see if you get different performance at different internal resolutions. If performance stays the same regardless of resolution then it's the CPU.

Edit: Also be sure you're using the betas.

Luigiv

onken said:
Well apparently PSCX2 is CPU orientated, so a 5770 should be more then enough to push you past your GPU bottleneck and into the realm of CPU bottleneck like the rest of us. That being said it certainly wouldn't be overkill, not from a value proposition anyway.

Edit: It should be said I'm not an expert on PSCX2, I'm just making a semi-educated guess.

jett said:
Yes, I meant supersampling, couldn't remember the term. :p

Fair enough, though still, calling SSAA AA-like is about the equivalent calling a Rolls Royce car-like.

onken

Thanks guys.

replicashooter said:
I know this is probably pushing it but anyone think this would run on an ION netbook (1.66Ghz Atom, 2GB RAM, 512MB Nvidia GFX)?

Depends how you define "run" I guess.

S. L.

so i tried messing around a bit with this emu, interestingly a bunch of games seem actually gpu bound on my relatively slow c2d 4600 (2.4ghz) - at least when i play at anything else than native res.
this is with a geforce 8600GT which is "recommended spec" according to the readme... eh

planning to upgrade to a E8400, so i can play some of my jrpg with horrible loadingtimes backlog on the emu :D

qcf x2

So I just bought a laptop with the following specs:

AMD Turion II Ultra Dual Core @ 2.50 Ghz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200
4GB RAM
(Windows 7)

Is there any point in even trying PCSX2 on it? :-\

tokkun

qcf x2 said:
So I just bought a laptop with the following specs:

AMD Turion II Ultra Dual Core @ 2.50 Ghz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200
4GB RAM
(Windows 7)

Is there any point in even trying PCSX2 on it? :-\

You ought to be able to play some games at full speed on that configuration with speed hacks enabled.

qcf x2

Hmmm, that being the case, can someone point me via PM to where I can find the necessary files to run it, or are they all on the main website?

domlolz

Banned
oh SSX,

how I missed you

Runs full speed rendered at 1920x1080 down sized to 1360x768 so it actually fits on my screen on my weedy core 2 duo E7200 and 9800gt which is rather surprising

Still looks like it has a slight blur, probably missed something somewhere

anlg1f.jpg

2mng93n.jpg

2mob97n.jpg

Zenith

Banned
So are there any indicators of when the next official release will be? It's been ages and none of the compiled betas change anything for the games I have.

what is the best graphics plugin? no matter what i do on most games there are graphical glitches (like a bunch of white lines on the side of the screen).

i have an i5-750 and a radeon 5770.

Q8D3vil

WickedLaharl said:
what is the best graphics plugin? no matter what i do on most games there are graphical glitches (like a bunch of white lines on the side of the screen).

i have an i5-750 and a radeon 5770.
same , just tried SOTC and there is so much tearing and framerate drop

Kyolux

I was wondering if I should bother trying to get this working.

On the GPU side I assume I'm fine, running an out of the box OCed Radeon HD 5770...

But on the other hand, my CPU is a triple core Phenom II clocked at 2.1ghz each.

Edit: seeing the post above, I'd assume not so well. :lol

Kyolux said:
I was wondering if I should bother trying to get this working.

On the GPU side I assume I'm fine, running an out of the box OCed Radeon HD 5770...

But on the other hand, my CPU is a triple core Phenom II clocked at 2.1ghz each.

Edit: seeing the post above, I'd assume not so well. :lol

Have you tried unlocking the 4th core of you CPU?

I tried this out not long ago, back when my CPU was 3.1GHz. Some slowdowns here and there but generally ran well. I've now overclocked to 3.7GHz - what sort of performance gains can I expect to get?

Also, what are the best performing EU games I should try?

Using latest beta, what internal res I should be using

Core 2 Duo 3.9 GHz
4 Gig RAM
8800 GT 512 (stock)
Windows 7

I can o/c my GPU a bit but not by much sadly.

Also is there a quick save and quick load button? Went through settings but haven't found anything.
Also is there a "turbo" button, that will speed up everything so grinding is easier :)

TheExodu5

Banned
Melhisedek said:
Using latest beta, what internal res I should be using

Core 2 Duo 3.9 GHz
4 Gig RAM
8800 GT 512 (stock)
Windows 7

I can o/c my GPU a bit but not by much sadly.

Also is there a quick save and quick load button? Went through settings but haven't found anything.
Also is there a "turbo" button, that will speed up everything so grinding is easier :)

You should be able to handle native res or maybe slightly more with an 8800GT. Don't go much higher than that. Just bring it as high as you can without getting decreased performance. It's trial and error.

S. L.

TheExodu5 said:
You should be able to handle native res or maybe slightly more with an 8800GT. Don't go much higher than that. Just bring it as high as you can without getting decreased performance. It's trial and error.
my 8600GT can do 2x scaling in most cases so an 8800 should be able to do that as a minimum

Quixzlizx

Has anyone here managed to get Ar Tonelico 2 running without it looking glitchy? I'm using GSdx 890 SSE41, with Direct 3D 9 Hardware and Blend tff interlacing. I've tried changing the config around (from 9 to 10, from hardware to software, no interlacing), but I can't seem to fix the bugs. The opening logo/loading screens are horizontally off (the "ends" of the screen are in the middle instead, so that the image is chopped in half), the options screen has a similar glitch, except that it's only the colors that are off in one half of the screen, and weird lines appear once I start a new game (boxes around the heads of the character portraits, horizontal lines appearing a couple of inches below dialog boxes). The ZeroGS plugin doesn't fix the glitches and adds static/scrambled backgrounds.

I have an Intel i7 860 and 5770.

S. L.

Quixzlizx said:
Has anyone here managed to get Ar Tonelico 2 running without it looking glitchy? I'm using GSdx 890 SSE41, with Direct 3D 9 Hardware and Blend tff interlacing. I've tried changing the config around (from 9 to 10, from hardware to software, no interlacing), but I can't seem to fix the bugs. The opening logo/loading screens are horizontally off (the "ends" of the screen are in the middle instead, so that the image is chopped in half), the options screen has a similar glitch, except that it's only the colors that are off in one half of the screen, and weird lines appear once I start a new game (boxes around the heads of the character portraits, horizontal lines appearing a couple of inches below dialog boxes). The ZeroGS plugin doesn't fix the glitches and adds static/scrambled backgrounds.

I have an Intel i7 860 and 5770.
not entirely sure but i think they headboxes dissatisfy when you run in native resolution.
can't check since my computer is occupied with video encoding for the next 6 hours

KAL2006

Banned
posted this in Wii emulator forum aswell

Will I be able to run any games at fullspeed

I have
AMD Phenom II X3 720 overclocked to 3.2GHz
ATI 4870 1GB
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit

If not I won't bother with this emulator, maybe come back in a few months to see if it has improved

ArjanN

KAL2006 said:
posted this in Wii emulator forum aswell

Will I be able to run any games at fullspeed

I have
AMD Phenom II X3 720 overclocked to 3.2GHz
ATI 4870 1GB
4GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit

If not I won't bother with this emulator, maybe come back in a few months to see if it has improved

Yes, but it really depends on the game. For example something like Metal Gear Solid 3 is like 3 times as demanding as Contra : Shattered Soldier.

I think you should be able to run a lot of PS2 games very well with the right emulator settings.

Wii games in general are more demanding obviously.

TheExodu5 said:

I see, so just try and up it by 10% at first? I thing internal res defaulted to 1024x1024 at least on my rig.

I'll be getting a powerful PC soon, and I was wondering if anybody here has played Super Robot Wars Original Generations on the emulator?

If so, how does it run, and can I see some screens? :p

yeah, is there a new file that contains everything you need like the one posted earlier in this thread? that was really helpful. A 64 version would be nice.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I find it kind of funny how PS2 emulation is behind Wii emulation :lol .

course, PS2 has a lot more bandwidth quirks in its design that are harder to emulate (quirks which often allowed it to keep up with the GC and Xbox)

Anyways, PS2 emulation newbie here.

Just got a new ASUS G72GX for $699:

Windows 7 64-bit
17.3 inch screen
Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 @ 2.53GHz (bottleneck)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M
6GB RAM

What are some good plugins and settings for my system? What games can I expect to give trouble? What games can I expect to run flawlessly?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Basileus777 said:
It's not. PS2 emulation is much further ahead if you want to run games at full speed and with sound.
yeah but wii seems to be a bit more well rounded in general

Durante

Basileus777 said:
It's not. PS2 emulation is much further ahead if you want to run games at full speed and with sound.
I think it's not so clear anymore. There are tons of PS2 games that still have some small graphical issues -- PCSX2 has much higher general compatibility, but if a game works in Dolphin it usually works very well.

Anyway, I recently tested the latest SVN build of PCSX2 again.
snapsgsdx_201002282232642w.jpg

It's a bit sad to see the amazing detail put into FF12 environments and characters that only ended up as a jaggy mess in the default output (the picture is rendered at 24x the native resolution)

snapsgsdx_20100228213842nq.jpg

Non-photorealistic rendering scales so well.

ArjanN

Durante said:
I think it's not so clear anymore. There are tons of PS2 games that still have some small graphical issues -- PCSX2 has much higher general compatibility, but if a game works in Dolphin it usually works very well.

Nah, Wii emulation is getting there but a lot of games are still broken even if they might seem to run fine at first, while with PS2 it mostly a graphical glitch here and there.

Durante said:

Anyway, I recently tested the latest SVN build of PCSX2 again.

It's a bit sad to see the amazing detail put into FF12 environments and characters that only ended up as a jaggy mess in the default output (the picture is rendered at 24x the native resolution)

Non-photorealistic rendering scales so well.
Are these downsampled in any way? Because they both look fucking amazing. Are you running the games any larger than those screens, because they look beautiful at that size.

Edit:
How well do the Fatal Frame games work on this? I want to play IV on Dolphin with that new translation but I think I should go though the series in order just for the experience.

Remfin

I should be doing hw said:
Edit:
How well do the Fatal Frame games work on this? I want to play IV on Dolphin with that new translation but I think I should go though the series in order just for the experience.
Just from reading the commits/comments on the source page they finally run as of (literally) 4 days ago (r2635-2638).

Kinda random question and one that is hard to Google search because it's rather specific, but what's a respectable graphics card that can handle this as well as other PC games pretty good? My other PC specs are pretty awesome (8GB RAM, Intel 2 Quad CPU @2.66 ghz) and the only thing holding me back is a card. Any good suggestions? Kind of hoping for sub-$200 here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom