• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
brandonh83 said:
Kinda random question and one that is hard to Google search because it's rather specific, but what's a respectable graphics card that can handle this as well as other PC games pretty good? My other PC specs are pretty awesome (8GB RAM, Intel 2 Quad CPU @2.66 ghz) and the only thing holding me back is a card. Any good suggestions? Kind of hoping for sub-$200 here.
Being very CPU centric, a graphics card isn't going to mean as much as a good cpu. Get something better than what you have with that $200ish and you should be fine.

Cool, thanks guys. I don't know a whole lot about performance, I've just had some people tell me that my CPU speed and RAM is great and that I would just need a new card. Clearly I need to upgrade in other arenas.

Again, its mostly all CPU so its not a must to upgrade much else than that if you have a good one. You might even want to invest that money into some sort of cpu cooling system if you don't have one already, crank up the Ghz a bit for some better performance. 2.6Ghz stock is just a tad too low for average performance.

What sucks is that when I got my new PC I was told that the ghz didn't matter as much as RAM and other stuff so I was like eh 2.6 should be okay, there's 8GB of RAM bitch! Obviously I need to expand my knowledge and get new sources. :lol

Quixzlizx

S. L. said:
not entirely sure but i think they headboxes dissatisfy when you run in native resolution.
can't check since my computer is occupied with video encoding for the next 6 hours

Thanks. The glitches remain in the opening logos and options screen, but the lines and things disappear once the game actually starts. Although, if I can't run it at above native resolution, I'd might as well just run it using HDLoader.

brandonh83 said:
What sucks is that when I got my new PC I was told that the ghz didn't matter as much as RAM and other stuff so I was like eh 2.6 should be okay, there's 8GB of RAM bitch! Obviously I need to expand my knowledge and get new sources. :lol
PC gaming is an everchanging thing, it ultimately depends on what you are trying to do. That advice may have been correct in a general sense but when you get into specifics it can be entirely different. Emulating a console for in this instance is pretty much entirely done though your cpu, because PCSX2 is contsantly being reiterated it is not what you would call optimised at this point. Hence why a powerful cpu is neccesary at this point in time.
Protip: You'll pretty much never need any more RAM upgrades man :lol That's well above average.

Jirotrom

ok guys... i tried running this last year and it was really hard to get going... I have windows 7 now and I want to try this emulator again... PS3 has no backwards compatibility and I want to play persona 4 and 3.

so I ask for a few things....

How easy is this to get working on windows 7 64 bit?
What are the list of games that work well?
Is a dual core E8400 plus 4 gigs of ram and a ATI 4870 enough?

thanks!

S. L.

so i just upgrade my old e4600 (2.4ghz) to a e8400 (3.ghz) and it made a huge difference.
games that gave me slowdowns before now run flawless or are bottlenecked by my gfx (if i am scaling)
i tried to overclock it, but my pos mainboard networking would crap out after i increase the fsb :lol

Durante

I should be doing hw said:
Are these downsampled in any way? Because they both look fucking amazing. Are you running the games any larger than those screens, because they look beautiful at that size.
Durante said:
(the picture is rendered at 24x the native resolution)
So yeah, the game renders at 3096x1792. Note that it still averages above 100 FPS :D

Here's another picture:
snapsgsdx_201002282234e44e.jpg

Chairhome

Durante said:
So yeah, the game renders at 3096x1792. Note that it still averages above 100 FPS :D

Here's another picture:
http://www.abload.de/img/snapsgsdx_201002282234e44e.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Nice. Sorry if it has already been asked, but what are your specs? I can run FF XII pretty well, just wanted to compare.

Durante

Chairhome said:
Nice. Sorry if it has already been asked, but what are your specs? I can run FF XII pretty well, just wanted to compare.
Core i7 @ 3.6 GHz, GTX 295 (but I don't think PCSX2 actually benefits from SLI)

Settings (left: speedhacks, right: GSDX plugin)
settingsncmq.png

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Specs: iMac 27" 2.66ghz quad core i5, 4gb memory, Ati radeon HD 4670 256mb

I just don't get how my copy of persona 4 works pretty much flawlessly, but suikoden 3 and 5 and dragon quest viii are almost unplayable (especially dq viii, has serious issues) could someone help me with some settings that I'm missing? I figured I had everything set at bare minimum, no frills, but help would be appreciated.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Jirotrom said:
ok guys... i tried running this last year and it was really hard to get going... I have windows 7 now and I want to try this emulator again... PS3 has no backwards compatibility and I want to play persona 4 and 3.

so I ask for a few things....

How easy is this to get working on windows 7 64 bit?
What are the list of games that work well?
Is a dual core E8400 plus 4 gigs of ram and a ATI 4870 enough?

thanks!

I spent 6 hours trying to get it to work on windows 7 64 bit before I tried "run program as administrator" and it worked fine. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS. That and you need to obtain a PS2 bios file and put it in the bios folder in the pcsx2 folder in program files. The only legal way to get a bios is to retrieve it from your own physical ps2.

kiryogi

Banned
Durante said:

settingsncmq.png

Curious I don't see half of those options in my GSDX. What build are you running or is it due to the SSSE4 support?

My current setup is a amd phenom II x4 965 3.4 ghz, 4 gigs of ram, radeon 5750. I imagine the AMD cpu is part of the problem though.

And yes it can't be said enough. ALWAYS RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.

Durante

kiryogi said:
Curious I don't see half of those options in my GSDX. What build are you running or is it due to the SSSE4 support?
It's the latest build. You need to add "allowHacks=1" to your GSdx.ini for some of the options to be shown. And then don't complain if you break any/everything, because that's why they made them harder to access in the first place ;)

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Durante said:
It's the latest build. You need to add "allowHacks=1" to your GSdx.ini for some of the options to be shown. And then don't complain if you break any/everything, because that's why they made them harder to access in the first place ;)

Couldn't you just set it back to default if shit goes bad, or does it screw up stuff in other ways?

kiryogi

Banned
Durante said:

I dont have a gsdx.ini but I do have gsdx-sse2.ini. I added the string and still nothing.

Durante

Timedog said:
Couldn't you just set it back to default if shit goes bad, or does it screw up stuff in other ways?
It can't screw up things permanently, but apparently there were still problems with people writing false bug reports etc.

kiryogi said:
I dont have a gsdx.ini but I do have gsdx-sse2.ini. I added the string and still nothing.
I just switched to the SSE2 version for testing and I still have all the options. My PCSX2 version is svn revision 2650 and GSDX is svn revision 2649.

Kyolux

SundaySounds said:
Have you tried unlocking the 4th core of you CPU?

Late reply I know.. (I was moving over the weekend).

For some reason I wrote Phenom II (but it isn't, it's a Phenomx3 8450)...

Anyway.. what are the chances that I can run some games at over 30fps with that?

Kyolux said:

Anyway.. what are the chances that I can run some games at over 30fps with that?

:/ not too sure about that. I think your cpu is going to be a bottleneck. you can try, though. let us know how it goes.

Kyolux said:

Yeah, you're never going to get good performance in this emulator with a first generation Phenom, sorry. Over 30fps for highly optimised games? Maybe, but its going to be an exercise in frustration for the most part.

Kyolux

brain_stew said:
Yeah, you're never going to get good performance in this emulator with a first generation Phenom, sorry. Over 30fps for highly optimised games? Maybe, but its going to be an exercise in frustration for the most part.

How is it doing for 2D games? I'd mostly go back to games like Arcana Heart anyway. I loved it when I bought it, but I also just had gotten a PS3 and didn't want to keep my PS2 hooked up on TV for ergonomic purposes.

Well, I'm going to give it a test run (and let you guys know how it goes) when I get home from work now that my PC is set up and everything in my new house. Otherwise I guess I'll invest in a new motherboard/CPU sometime in the near future.

Kyolux

Only tried Arcana Heart last night. It wasn't unplayable, going from 30 to 45 or so fps. But it didn't felt much playable either. Maybe I need to mess around a bit more with settings too.

Quixzlizx

Durante said:
Well, I can get over 160 FPS in many Gust and N1 games with the frame limiter off, so you might have a shot.

Have you managed to unglitch AT2's graphics at anything other than native resolution?

Durante

Quixzlizx said:
Have you managed to unglitch AT2's graphics at anything other than native resolution?
No. Well, the scaling problems are almost completely gone, but they are still glitched even in native resolution with anything other than the software renderer. I did finish both AT2 and MK2 completely in PCSX2 without any bugs using that though.

(The problem with the hardware renderer are small lines (subpixel) appearing inside the character sprites during battle, probably related to some minor blending inaccuracy)

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I've read that some people are getting as much as 10+ FPS increases (from low 40s to mid 50s) on DQVIII in the 0.9.7 betas compared to the 0.9.6 stable release.

Dascu

Running into a weird bug on Haunting Ground. The game runs fullspeed, but there's this blurry overlay on the entire thing.

Edit: I should've searched some more. Using the older GSDx9 v0.11.1 plug-in works wonders.

mclem

Given the fact that I'm running out of space under the TV - and my PS3 wasn't one with backwards compatability - and I've recently upgraded my PC to a much more powerful one - I'm considering moving the PS2 away and instead using the PC to catch up on the remaining games I want to complete.

One thing is putting me off, though - controllers. My current pad for playing on PC is okay, but it doesn't quite have the options, nor does it feel quite right, for Playstation titles - I've already found that from using ePSXe.

Any recommendations for a control pad that both feels good - and, ideally, is fully compatible with whatever this uses for rumble effects?

And isn't too pricey, either :)

domlolz

Banned
mclem said:
Given the fact that I'm running out of space under the TV - and my PS3 wasn't one with backwards compatability - and I've recently upgraded my PC to a much more powerful one - I'm considering moving the PS2 away and instead using the PC to catch up on the remaining games I want to complete.

One thing is putting me off, though - controllers. My current pad for playing on PC is okay, but it doesn't quite have the options, nor does it feel quite right, for Playstation titles - I've already found that from using ePSXe.

Any recommendations for a control pad that both feels good - and, ideally, is fully compatible with whatever this uses for rumble effects?

Use a PS3 pad? Apparently it's a pain to get working on some versions of windows(64-bit I think) but it's always an option

surazal

mclem said:

I just use a PS2 to USB converter. I think no drivers needed.
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=210455252&listingid=34817012

Visceir

-Rogue5- said:
How does SOTC fair on PCSX? Is 1080p/60 a go or am I completely beyond the realm of (current) possibility?

Shadow of the colossus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zkcOSS3eGI

Heard there are some problems with sound but otherwise it runs fine.

I'm putting together a new budget rig right now. Thinking about getting Phenom X2 550 Black Edition and overclocking it to 3.6 - 3.8 Ghz, hope that will be good enough.

Edit: Sora, just check youtube? I'm sure there are some videos of FF XII in 720p.

mr_nothin

Banned
Durante said:

settingsncmq.png
Which version is this?

EDIT:
NVM

A little bit of reading goes a long way.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Durante, your specs may make it hard for you to answer this question, but have you been hearing of or seeing speedups similar to what I mentioned in the latest build?

Edit:

Okay, just downloaded the beta, and wow, the speedhacks work even better than I've heard. First town is now a solid 60 FPS for me, when it would drop to 40FPS during some of the king's dialogue segments and at some parts of town (like the fountain).

No graphical glitches so far.

S. L.

Hey guys, i compiled the latest svn build 0.9.7-r2685 with plugins.
With SSE4 setting, works fine on my win7 64bit with c2d but your mileage may vary.
just copy the files over the full svn 0.9.7 build that was posted here before and it should work. (select the new plugin builds manually in pcsx or delete the old ones beforehand)
Use at your own risk.
Also the allowhacks=1 setting that durante posted about will work with this.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jm2zj3qjwtw/SVN0.9.7.2685.rar
With this build Frontmission 5 works mostly glitchfree for me when you set the skipdraw to 2 in the gdsx settings with the allowhacks=1 :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Replaying GOW2 on this in preparation for the new one... seems to me the only way to have it look proper graphically is to run it at native resolution because of the post processing. Is this right? It doesn't hold up so well :(

S. L. said:
Hey guys, i compiled the latest svn build with plugins.
With SSE4 setting, works fine on my win7 64bit with c2d but your mileage may vary.
just copy the files over the svn 0.9.7 build that was posted here before and it should work. (select the new plugin build manually in pcsx or delete them beforehand)
Use at your own risk.

With this build Frontmission 5 works mostly glitchfree for me when you set the skipdraw to 2 in the gdsx settings with the allowhacks=1 :D

I tried using this build and am getting "This CPU doesn't support SSE4.1". I have a C2D E8600 and according to an Intel comparison chart, my CPU is compatible. Is the Intel chart I looked at incorrect or is something wrong with PCSX2?

S. L.

Big Papa Husker said:
Yep, I downloaded the same thing. The more I'm reading, it looks to be a BIOS issue. What motherboard are you using on your machine?
uh, some incredibly crappy asus matx.
lets see... P5KPL-VM
It uses the Intel P35/G33/G31 chipset according to cpu-z

S. L. said:
Hey guys, i compiled the latest svn build with plugins.
just copy the files over the svn 0.9.7 build that was posted here before and it should work. (select the new plugin build manually in pcsx or delete them beforehand)
Use at your own risk.

Where was this?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Big Papa Husker said:
I tried using this build and am getting "This CPU doesn't support SSE4.1". I have a C2D E8600 and according to an Intel comparison chart, my CPU is compatible. Is the Intel chart I looked at incorrect or is something wrong with PCSX2?
Something weird must be going on then, I have an c2d E8500 and the SSE4.1 plugins work just nice.

Also I saw that the plugins now use DX11, any benefits from that or do they just like adding new render modes?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Some Ecco: DotF running on 1932 with x2 scaling. EE sync x2, INTC Sync, Idle loop FF and Status Flag Hack I get a pretty much perfect speed and emulation. IOP x2 makes the game lock up.

pcsx2-legacy-19322010-xvb4.jpg

SOOOO

I'm getting a new PC soon as was thinking of trying this out.

I have a HUGE backlog of PS2 games, and even if a few of them can be played on my PC I'd be happy. Thing is, I'm Aussie, and they're all PAL.

Am I SOL in terms of this? Is there a PAL emulator? Will I have to download ISO's of the games I own just to play it? If so, I don't really have the bandwidth and will just play on my PS2 :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom