• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bee said:
VU Cycle Stealing...

never drops from 60fps for me

If you turn on the VU Cycle Stealing it will report a higher framerate than you're actually getting. So you can play a game and the frame counter will never drop below 60fps, but in reality the game might be playing like 20fps or something.

RotBot

Fair Witness said:
If you turn on the VU Cycle Stealing it will report a higher framerate than you're actually getting. So you can play a game and the frame counter will never drop below 60fps, but in reality the game might be playing like 20fps or something.
That matches my experience. I tried turning it on for MGS3, but I could tell the frame rate didn't get any better than what I had before despite it telling me I was getting 80 fps.

JayDub

This thread is so fuck awesome. But as an official thread it fails. OP needs to update the thread, its been 2 years! What version? List of games..etc.

Can't believe how good this is. I just tried KH2 without any settings at all (gotta setup controller) and it bloody works :D And works great! Great job by folks behind it

Erebus

My configuration:

Intel E4500 @ 2.70GHz
Geforce 8800GTS 640MB
4GB RAM
Vista x64

Can I play any games at decent fps?

bee

yeah its a pretty amazing emulator

143p0uc.png

2nuufjp.jpg

still runs at 60fps (with VU cycle stealing disabled)

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
bee said:
yeah its a pretty amazing emulator

http://i44.tinypic.com/143p0uc.png[/MG]

[IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/2nuufjp.jpg[IMG]

still runs at 60fps (with VU cycle stealing disabled)[/QUOTE]
Holy crap. It's like you're actually playing the bullshots.

inner-G

Banned
Aru said:
4000 * 3000 ? Holy sh*t :O
For whatever reason, bumping up the internal res doesn't seem to be much of a fps hit.

I don't see much difference past my monitor's native res though (1680 x 1050)

ArjanN

TheSonicRetard said:
So, in certain games, such as Godhand or FFX, I get a lot of flashing graphics. I have no idea what causes it... any idea.

It's definately your settings.

Although I think Godhand and some other games might have some problems with directx9 that they don't in directx10 mode.
That might be it, but it's probably one of the speed hacks, godhand doesn't seem to like those. Just turn everything off, and see if that works. Then one by one activate stuff again until you see what breaks it.

Final Fantasy XII at 720p with forced AA and texture filtering

dear GOD

I'm having a hard time believing this is a PS2 game

this looks jaw dropping. This emulator is ri-goddamn-diculous

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
TheSonicRetard said:

dear GOD

videos ?

bee

TheSonicRetard said:

dear GOD

yup

2h2gm1h.jpg

nincompoop said:
I say why the hell is he taking off screen video when he's running fraps which is capable of recording direct feed footage?

because recording in fraps destroys frame rate

nincompoop said:
I say why the hell is he taking off screen video when he's running fraps which is capable of recording direct feed footage?

Because the second you hit record on fraps, your framerate nose dives. I just tried to make a video of FFXII a second ago, and the moment I hit record, my FPS dropped from a rock solid 60 fps to 11 fps.

Fraps + pcsx2 != bueno

inner-G

Banned
nincompoop said:
At least for me, I can only get fraps to record in one game so far: okami

Everything else crashes out when I try to record, and when it does record, it drops the framerate from ~60 to ~25.

bee said:
yup

2h2gm1h.jpg

because recording in fraps destroys frame rate

Screenshots don't do it justice. In motion it looks amazing, with all the blurring and special effects.

I'm not lying when I say it doesn't look like a PS2 game. It looks more like a launch-era 360 game.

M3Freak

Banned
What are the chances of Sony putting in software emulation on the PS3 that will provide features like these? None, right? Damn.... :(

M3Freak said:
What are the chances of Sony putting in software emulation on the PS3 that will provide features like these? None, right? Damn.... :(

Those of us who are posting these screenshots have rigs which run circles around the PS3

and most of our rigs choke on games like SOTC

inner-G

Banned
TheSonicRetard said:
Those of us who are posting these screenshots have rigs which run circles around the PS3

Yep, it's really inconsistent. Some games chug or just don't work, there is occasional audio sync bugs, FMV glitchiness, and on the other hand, some games run at high fps and hi res. It's just really spotty, and you have to tweak it per game.

Zaptruder

Banned
TheSonicRetard said:

To be fair, the PS2 also chokes on SOTC.

SappYoda

Talking about final fantasy XII...

The game runs flawless in my rig but I get awful scanlines in video cutscenes if I'm not using the native res.

Is anyone else having he same problem?

TheSonicRetard said:
Because the second you hit record on fraps, your framerate nose dives. I just tried to make a video of FFXII a second ago, and the moment I hit record, my FPS dropped from a rock solid 60 fps to 11 fps.

Fraps + pcsx2 != bueno
Fair enough, off screen footage is still lame though. Are there any hardware solutions that would let someone record direct footage from PCSX2 without destroying the framerate?

Durante

nincompoop said:
Fair enough, off screen footage is still lame though. Are there any hardware solutions that would let someone record direct footage from PCSX2 without destroying the framerate?
Sure, clone mode, HDMI->DVI cable and Blackmagic Intensity capture card. I have everything needed, may do this when I get time.

Edit: It's DVI->HDMI of course.

bee

Durante said:
Sure, clone mode, HDMI->DVI cable and Blackmagic Intensity capture card. I have everything needed, may do this when I get time.

or just capture it at 20fps or whatever with fraps then speed it up in virtualdub or similar

webrunner

Regarding Shadow of the Collosus, are there any videos of it running at full speed? SOTC is almost a next-gen game running on last-gen hardware, the only issue was the abysmal frame rate...

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
have like 9 PS2 games in a box somewhere cause I don't have a PS2 to play them on (friend gave them to me with a ton of other game stuff when his wife cracked the whip on him..hehe).

So would I just need this emulator to play them? Or do I have to "rip" the games or something?

inner-G

Banned
Mr Pockets said:
have like 9 PS2 games in a box somewhere cause I don't have a PS2 to play them on (friend gave them to me with a ton of other game stuff when his wife cracked the whip on him..hehe).

So would I just need this emulator to play them? Or do I have to "rip" the games or something?
You can theoretically play them from the DVD drive, but if you rip them you'll get big improvements in loading times.

SOLDIER

My system specs:

System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.03 GB
Total Virtual Memory 8.20 GB
Available Virtual Memory 5.97 GB
Page File Space 4.29 GB
Geforce 8800GT

Can anyone recommend the best build to use, and what settings I should enable? I've been using R877, but if there's a better alternative, I'd love to hear it. It's hard to keep track of these numerous updates.

Need some help I have a Core 2 duo T5850 and a Radeon Hd series with 265mb of dedicated video ram 3gb of system ram

Now I know games won't run perfect but I am getting some crappy performances even during the start up screen, only getting about 29fps. Now I messed with the settings and it seems that SSE3 plugin runs the slowest for me even though it is supported by my cpu.

Also what is MTGS mode? emulator runs the same speed with or without it on.

Edit:Just switched to Native mode and its running alot faster.

vazel

Banned
When I try to start a game it keeps telling me to update directx even though I have it in dx9 mode and I'm updated to the latest dx9. I'm using winxp.

28l96w4.jpg

107qve8.jpg

vazel

Banned
Thanks it did try to take me to a dx page but when I clicked yes it would hang. It's amazing seeing PS2 games running in this quality on my PC. I can feel the excitement in my chest.

jett

D-Member
webrunner said:
Regarding Shadow of the Collosus, are there any videos of it running at full speed? SOTC is almost a next-gen game running on last-gen hardware, the only issue was the abysmal frame rate...

Emulation won't help with the framerate. The game will run as well as it did on the PS2.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
TheSonicRetard said:
Screenshots don't do it justice. In motion it looks amazing, with all the blurring and special effects.

I'm not lying when I say it doesn't look like a PS2 game. It looks more like a launch-era 360 game.
I always thought the environments in FFXII were garbage from a pure graphical standppint (although I played it for the first time a year or two into the HD gen). The character models were nice, but the environments lost SO MUCH visual charisma in order to build levels that accommodate a rotating camera and real-time battle system. Similarly, when the FF series went 3D with FFX, they lost a certain spark as well, I think.

My opinion would almost definitely be different had I played FFXII for the first time back when it was released. With that being said, pre-FFX Final Fantasy games look better today, in my opinion.

ArjanN

vazel said:
Thanks it did try to take me to a dx page but when I clicked yes it would hang. It's amazing seeing PS2 games running in this quality on my PC. I can feel the excitement in my chest.

You need the very latest version of directx.

Try going to the microsoft site, and downloading it from there.

Whenever I first run PCSX2 after starting my PC, it gives me this error upon configuring:

"Could Not Load GS Plugin 'plugins': <NULL>"

Then when I rerun it, everything seems to work fine.

Until I get this error:

"Failed loading Memory Card from file: memcards\Mcd001.ps2"

And the same for Mcd002.

THEN I get the error that keeps me from actually playing anything:

"_cdvdOpenNVM: Error creating bios\scph39001.NVM"

Any idea why this might be?? =(

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I remember going through similar but not the same issues makingmusic, but I have no idea how to fix your problem. Here's a bump, though. Hopefully someone who reads this will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom