• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm Australian and around 90% of the games i've tried work fine off the disk, FFXII included, however SMT: Nocturne (or Lucifer's call) has weird graphical glitches and some games have slow down but yeh generally they're fine.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
It's recommended that you should rip your games and run them from an image instead of the actual disc to cut down on loading and minimize any potential complications, but the discs work fine if you don't want to bother with that.

To rip them easily just download a program like ImgBurn. It's very simple and fast. Then you can run the iso directly from the emulator itself, no need to bother with mounting software.

THE Caffeinated said:
I'm Australian and around 90% of the games i've tried work fine off the disk, FFXII included, however SMT: Nocturne (or Lucifer's call) has weird graphical glitches and some games have slow down but yeh generally they're fine.

Persona 3 gave me some weird textture glitches, too. Try using a different graphics plugin.

luka said:
It's recommended that you should rip your games and run them from an image instead of the actual disc to cut down on loading and minimize any potential complications, but the discs work fine if you don't want to bother with that.

To rip them easily just download a program like ImgBurn. It's very simple and fast. Then you can run the iso directly from the emulator itself, no need to bother with mounting software.

Oh! that's not bad, I specifically was trying to avoid shit plagueing my system like mounting software so that's all good.

Ah well I'll be back in this thread in 3-4 months :p

Durante

Sora said:
Durante, could you make a video of the game running like that? It's kinda impressive...
I'll do it once I get back to my PCSX2 FF12 playthrough, but first I need to finish FF13 ;)

Anony said:
where are people getting the latest svns
are you guys compiling it one your own?
Personally I'm using the builds available here: http://cid-ec92aae47a89073b.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Emulation/Pcsx2?view=details

GaimeGuy said:
Durante, your specs may make it hard for you to answer this question, but have you been hearing of or seeing speedups similar to what I mentioned in the latest build?
If you mean in the latest build compared to the last released version then yes, absolutely (and not just speedups but also compatibility and feature improvements). The release version is ancient at this point.

I should be doing hw said:
How does one mess around with AA and AF settings in the svn 0.9.7 build? I can't seem to find anything...
AF you can force in the driver, AA is usually achieved by SSAA -- in the GSDX options set the internal rendering resolution to 2x, 3x or 4x and so on (which is actually means 4x, 9x and 16x as many pixels).

cory

Banned
This is incredible.
dq86uzw.png

All playable, but some minor graphical glitches. God of War can be slow in spots.
A lot of games I tried out were either unplayable or had major graphical glitches.
Others would only run properly in native res (SoulCalibur III, Tekken 5).

cory

Banned
Some games are almost there, and others are Burnout.
boutbxmj.png

Must be related to the motion blur effect.
Also no skybox.
Plays at about half speed on native res.
Same deal with BO:Revenge.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
So with the latest builds, FF12 runs pretty flawlessly? That game is still sitting in my backlog, still wrapped. Wondering if it would still be better just to play it on the PS2.

cory

Banned
Rentahamster said:
So with the latest builds, FF12 runs pretty flawlessly? That game is still sitting in my backlog, still wrapped. Wondering if it would still be better just to play it on the PS2.
Runs almost flawlessly at 4x resolution. Minor sound stuttering, though.
Edit: Native Res:

4x:

Amazing how much detail is lost on the character models when played on a PS2.

Rentahamster said:

I’m playing FFXII International on a Q9505/ATI 5870/4gig ram and getting 60fps 99.8% of the time, except whenever the camera focuses on a densely populated area (ie Rabanastre bazaar markets, drops to around 53fps).
The only other problem is that i get a minor stutter on the voice over which happens every now and then.

cory said:
Runs almost flawlessly at 4x resolution. Minor sound stuttering, though.
Edit: Native Res:

4x:

Amazing how much detail is lost on the character models when played on a PS2.
Its fucking nuts how much detail they put into the characters that you would never see playing on the platform it was intended to be on. If only they put that much effort into XIII...:lol

Aon

I've almost finished playing through FFXII PAL on an i7/5850, and wow. So amazing.

One thing I must reiterate though is the importance of ripping the DVD into an ISO. You don't have to mount it or anything, PSXC2 can read isos, but I had all kinds of both audio and FMV stuttering until I ripped it however it now works perfectly.

Definitely the way to play PS2 games.

yanhero

Rentahamster said:

Its been running flawlessly for a while now, I played through the whole thing around a year ago and its awesome. Alot of the detail is lost or is ruined by aliasing on the PS2. I would highly recommend playing it on this.

cory

Banned
Its fucking nuts how much detail they put into the characters that you would never see playing on the platform it was intended to be on. If only they put that much effort into XIII...:lol
XIII doesn't look very appealing to me. It's so plain, it has no "hook".
I hear the battle system's pretty good, though.
I have high hopes for XV if it's directed by Ito, who did VI, IX, and XII.

They... did.

cory said:
XIII doesn't look very appealing to me. It's so plain, it has no "hook".
I hear the battle system's pretty good, though.
I have high hopes for XV if it's directed by Ito, who did VI, IX, and XII.

Maybe it's because you haven't really seen anything. The game never ceases to impress me visually.

DarknessTear said:
They... did.

Maybe it's because you haven't really seen anything. The game never ceases to impress me visually.

I believe the general consensus is that while being on a graphically superior console, FFXII had a more fleshed out world full of exploration and depth while XIII feels empty in comparison. I mean I've seen people point to this clip as WOW! AMAZING! BEST GRAPHICS EVER! And I just don't see it. Maybe it's the low quality video, but it looks on par with FFX to me. A pretty "corridor".

The screenshot taken above from Dragon Quest VIII (which is GORGEOUS btw) reminded me of a review I read for that game, saying the world so was so wonderful to explore and that if you were, say, high on a mountain you can see places your character COULD ACTUALLY GO. Playing the game, this was ACTUALLY TRUE for me. In FFXIII, the video I posted (especially at the 2:50 mark), just strikes me as a "background". If the actual "playable" area was more immersive like say, Uncharted 2, I wouldn't mind as much.

But sorry, I don't want this turning into a "Wah XIII sucks" Argument, especially since I haven't actually played the game, but merely going off my impressions of footage and the impressions of other players and reviews.

Again, that DQVIII shot is stunningly gorgeous!

Graphically XIII is nowhere near as good as XII was when it came out, which I find odd considering they have been working on XIII for ages. But then again this is their first FF on the PS3 so maybe their next one we will see a X -> XII kind of leap in Versus maybe? Failing that XV (probably won't see that this gen though).
But yeah in terms of comparison in that pic of XII I was commenting on, the graphics far surpass what the PS2 could even output at the time, XIII does not do this at all. I guess it's harder to do this in 720p or whatever but still, its not like if, one day in the far, far future when we can emulate the PS3 that people will be making the same comments when XIII is emulated at 16x its internal res (or if the PC version exists...)

cory

Banned
Here's some more DQVIII goodness:

What's the key for screenshots in Pcsx2? I've just been using PrtScrn.
I'll be sure to take more as I get further in the game.
That stone wall in the background is texture of the forever

cory said:

Might want to try forcing trilinear mipmaps in your drivers. Should get rid of the hideous texture aliasing/shimmering seen in your shots. In fact, I recommend everyone does this (along with forcing 16xaf of course) games will look so much better.

For screenies, just use FRAPs. I always boggles my mind that there's still PC gamers around that don't have FRAPs installed.

Doublethink said:
Wow. Dragon Quest VIII looks gorgeous. I wish I had a PC capable of running it.

Same here. What are your specs, cory? If you posted them already I apologize, but I looked back and I didn't see it.

I've only got an entry level Core 2 Duo processor, I know i7's are the best but my motherboard can only handle LGA 775 processors so the best I can do is a Quad or an Extreme. These shots make me want to upgrade sooner than later.

Choppasmith said:
Same here. What are your specs, cory? If you posted them already I apologize, but I looked back and I didn't see it.

I've only got an entry level Core 2 Duo processor, I know i7's are the best but my motherboard can only handle LGA 775 processors so the best I can do is a Quad or an Extreme. These shots make me want to upgrade sooner than later.

Just OC your current processor. Pretty much any Core 2 is capable of reaching 3ghz and at that speed you'll get a very nice experience out of PCSX2 with games that have seen a decent amount of attention.

luka said:
PAL games generally work fine on the emulator, it'll just run at 50fps instead of 60.

You'll want to set your refresh rate to 50hz though. You'll get some nasty juddering otherwise.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Graphically XIII is nowhere near as good as XII was when it came out, which I find odd considering they have been working on XIII for ages. But then again this is their first FF on the PS3 so maybe their next one we will see a X -> XII kind of leap in Versus maybe? Failing that XV (probably won't see that this gen though).
But yeah in terms of comparison in that pic of XII I was commenting on, the graphics far surpass what the PS2 could even output at the time, XIII does not do this at all. I guess it's harder to do this in 720p or whatever but still, its not like if, one day in the far, far future when we can emulate the PS3 that people will be making the same comments when XIII is emulated at 16x its internal res (or if the PC version exists...)
FFXIII is the FFX of the PS3 (360) :D Plus, it was done by the same [FFX] team and has the same crappy art and style.

I'm hoping that Versus will have:

• Improved textures
  • Better handling of AA (although this is probably not going to happen b/c of the limits of the PS3)

That will honestly be enough for me, I think XIII just lacks a good artistic direction. I'm not keen on the NPC designer from X/X-2/XIII, I wish they would fire him.

Since they're using the same engine, I don't think we will see too much of a significant improvement here. We will see XIV on PC though, I hope they release PC version of future games as well.

As for 15, I have no idea, but I don't think they would bother jumping into another console just yet. Plus, the only thing that "next" gen consoles would offer: current gen PC's already do.

We may actually get non-scaled 1080p resolutions in PS4 //gasps ... *yawns*

Choppasmith said:
I believe the general consensus is that while being on a graphically superior console, FFXII had a more fleshed out world full of exploration and depth while XIII feels empty in comparison. I mean I've seen people point to this clip as WOW! AMAZING! BEST GRAPHICS EVER! And I just don't see it. Maybe it's the low quality video, but it looks on par with FFX to me. A pretty "corridor".

The screenshot taken above from Dragon Quest VIII (which is GORGEOUS btw) reminded me of a review I read for that game, saying the world so was so wonderful to explore and that if you were, say, high on a mountain you can see places your character COULD ACTUALLY GO. Playing the game, this was ACTUALLY TRUE for me. In FFXIII, the video I posted (especially at the 2:50 mark), just strikes me as a "background". If the actual "playable" area was more immersive like say, Uncharted 2, I wouldn't mind as much.

But sorry, I don't want this turning into a "Wah XIII sucks" Argument, especially since I haven't actually played the game, but merely going off my impressions of footage and the impressions of other players and reviews.

Again, that DQVIII shot is stunningly gorgeous!

You should probably actually play FF13. Nothing really does it justice. Pictures or videos. I don't think it gets enough credit, really. FF12 is indeed amazing artistically, but there's no fuckin' way that FFXIII can be called "shit".

cory

Banned
brain_stew said:
Might want to try forcing trilinear mipmaps in your drivers. Should get rid of the hideous texture aliasing/shimmering seen in your shots. In fact, I recommend everyone does this (along with forcing 16xaf of course) games will look so much better.

For screenies, just use FRAPs. I always boggles my mind that there's still PC gamers around that don't have FRAPs installed.
Mipmaps & AF were already max in Catalyst. I don't know why it's not working.
Ah- Got it, Catalyst AI messes that up.

Specs:
Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz
4GB DDR2 RAM
Radeon 4870 512MB
Windows 7 64-Bit

Edit: I forgot how traditional DQVIII was. Separate places to rest and revive!
Ed2: I do have Fraps, I just forget about it a lot. :lol

Is this better?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
DarknessTear said:
You should probably actually play FF13. Nothing really does it justice. Pictures or videos. I don't think it gets enough credit, really. FF12 is indeed amazing artistically, but there's no fuckin' way that FFXIII can be called "shit".
Basically if you're not a visuals snob, there's nothing wrong w/XIII, otherwise you might say that the team couldn't design their way out of a paper bag.

I think that 12 pretty much set the bar on how visually appealing (full) 3D FF's should be, but 13 isn't the nicest looking game for the first 10 hours, just visually uninteresting in other words.

brain_stew said:
Just OC your current processor. Pretty much any Core 2 is capable of reaching 3ghz and at that speed you'll get a very nice experience out of PCSX2 with games that have seen a decent amount of attention.

I just might. I've kinda strayed away from overclocking because I'm not a hardcore PC Gamer, and being a total noob that's never done it, I'm a little paranoid to the possibility of frying and losing my computer. Got any good guides, resources, or tips I could look at?

cory

Banned
Tekken 5 is almost there. But you can only run it at a certain resolution or the screen gets messed up.
So no super-sampling like the shots above.
It's also slightly slow, and with ProScan on it wobbles.
Stages with bloom do not display correctly.

cory

Banned
More DQVIII

As you can see, the text is messed up. It's a problem inherent to scaling up the resolution, and is IMO, the only downside to running it on a emulator compared to a PS2.
But it's a sacrifice well worth making.

Also, a Compatatbility List from my PS2 Collection:
(Everything Scaled at least 2x except where noted)
Burnout 3/Revenge - Ingame, Slow, Major GFX Errors
Dragon Quest VIII - Perfect!
Final Fantasy X - Perfect!
Final Fantasy X-2 - Perfect except for FMV's, which are watchable but with glitches.
Final Fantasy XII - Perfect!
God of War- Playable
God of War II- Playable at Native Res, Major Ghosting when Scaled, Slow.
GTA III/VC - Playable at Native Res, Major Flickering/Ghosting when scaled.
GT4 - Hangs on opening movie, tried patch to skip but it didn't work.
Kingdom Hearts - Perfect with minor FMV problems.
Resident Evil 4 - Perfect!
Shadow of the Colossus - Playable with minor GFX errors.
Sly 1 - Slow, Technically Playable
Sly 2& 3 - Major GFX Errors
SoulCalibur III - Playable only at Native and 1200x1200 Res, slow.
SSX3 - Perfect!
Tekken 5 - Same as SCIII
Virtua Fighter 4E - Playable, doesn't look much better when scaled.

cory

Banned
More shots

I didn't know that GTAIII had widescreen support.
Too bad it doesn't like to be scaled. :(
Should I be using a more recent build than 1888?
I'm using that with the March 2010 plugin pack.
I know, I'm changing hosts with every post :lol
I'll migrate everything to IV, since it seems to be the easiest, though I do have to use jpg's.

Does the emulator run 2D games fine? I'd like to play those on my PC vice pulling out my PS2 and hooking it up to my tv. The 3D games look beautiful.

cory

Banned
Spiderjericho said:
Does the emulator run 2D games fine? I'd like to play those on my PC vice pulling out my PS2 and hooking it up to my tv. The 3D games look beautiful.
They should probably run fine at native res, but due to the fact that the scaling is built for 3d, it won't scale up nicely. I don't have any 2D games to test it on, though.

Remfin

Are you trying out of any of the hidden GSDX hacks, cory? I think they fix most of the problems you've talked about (GFX issues and ghosting).

Is there any reason why so few are forcing mipmaps? I'm seeing a lot of texture aliasing in some of the recent shots posted. If I can notice it in screenshots it must be pretty bad in motion.

cory

Banned
brain_stew said:
Is there any reason why so few are forcing mipmaps? I'm seeing a lot of texture aliasing in some of the recent shots posted. If I can notice it in screenshots it must be pretty bad in motion.
I have them forced, I just don't know why it's not working.
I haven't really noticed a difference using the hidden GSDX hacks.

jediyoshi

Woo, more FFXII shots.

28ri8zs.jpg

2yk118i.jpg

I'm suffering the Uncharted 2 syndrome of standing still and panning the camera just to look around.

New to this emulation business, thought it'd be a good way to test my new rig.
Recorded some vids too.

Uno.
Dos.

crasherball

Neo Member
i dont understand these guys

if they wouldve made this emulator open source 4 years ago, it wouldve be worth playing - even on lower-end-PCs

but this way, we gotta wait and wait until the small dev-team updates their emu slowly

Remfin

crasherball said:

if they wouldve made this emulator open source 4 years ago, it wouldve be worth playing - even on lower-end-PCs

but this way, we gotta wait and wait until the small dev-team updates their emu slowly
Uhm, it's been open-source with a public SVN for at least 2 1/2 years, and what history I can dig up shows that a release 4 years ago included source. The bulk of development is in the plugins anyway, which weren't even part of the PCSX2 project until semi-recently when they started to take them over.

rbenchley

crasherball said:

Just shut up. While there are some fantastic open source projects out there, open source is not some magic solution where if the code is available everyone can pitch in and finish it overnight. 95% of open source projects die as pre-alphas on Sourceforge and are never completed.

Durante

They did. It's one of the very best looking games in existence right now. (And on top of that it would receive a similar, if not quite as drastic, boost being rendered with 16xAF and SSAA as FF12 does)

DarknessTear said:
You should probably actually play FF13. Nothing really does it justice. Pictures or videos. I don't think it gets enough credit, really.
Exactly.

darkwings

Banned
crasherball said:

wtf, this emulator is open source

tenchir

My computer's spec.

Phenom II 720 @ 3.3Ghz
4 GB DDR2
Radeon 4870 512MB

My games runs perfectly, but for some reason the aspect ratio are off. Anyone know what the problem is?

gsdx_20100313203410.jpg

Hey, how does FFXII hold up to FFXIII? I'm really digging XIII's combat because of the quick pace even though it's turn based. Usually I can't stand turn-based RPGs, I find them boring and monotonous with their random dungeon battles but XIII has me hooked. Is XII close to XIII in the gameplay department?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Anyway to make this run less like crap on my Laptop. I can't even get the Gunbird Collection to run at a decent frame rate :/

I see others have a Phenom II x3 720 clocked at 2.8Ghz and up running this emulator extremely well now, I'm pleased to here that.

I have a Phenom II x3 720 overclocked at 3.6Ghz. Can't wait to test out my games hooked up to my HDtv. :D

Ceebs

riceandbeans said:
Hey, how does FFXII hold up to FFXIII? I'm really digging XIII's combat because of the quick pace even though it's turn based. Usually I can't stand turn-based RPGs, I find them boring and monotonous with their random dungeon battles but XIII has me hooked. Is XII close to XIII in the gameplay department?
Not even close. FFXII's battles play closer to some WRPGs or MMO's than a JRPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom