• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

xemumanic

http://www.pcsx2.net

Quote:

ZeroGS development has also continued during this hectic time, and those of you with great GPU's can enjoy 8x and 16x render target (referred to as AA within the plugin).

Saqib has recently been working hard on memory card issues, testing is still under way however thanks to his work games like Phantasy Star Universe are now getting ingame and the ever popular Resident Evil 4 can now load saves, and if all goes to plan - save to!

Refraction is also busy and after his success with Path 3 work has turned his attention to other issues, thanks to his work Tekken 5 is now getting ingame! Currently Tekken 5 can't be classed as playable as characters are totally lacking in the Y dimension!

Just look how great Kingdom Hearts II looks. There's a torrent of a video here: http://www.pcsx2.net/torrents/KHII_p.avi.torrent.

This was how PS1 emulation started out. Few high-end machines could handle it, now its trivial for even a handheld (PSP). Just imagine how good it'll be a year from now.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Problem is, how fast can they get it running?

Worth upgrading maybe late 2008, when you can run it like that at 60FPS...

the code and the hardware will have improved significantly by then.

xemumanic

Crayon Shinchan said:
Problem is, how fast can they get it running?

Worth upgrading maybe late 2008, when you can run it like that at 60FPS...

the code and the hardware will have improved significantly by then.

Many games run at 60fps, or close to it now. FFX for one, completely playable from start to finish.

bee

they posted some nice screens with mucho AA.

KHII_01.jpg

xemumanic

naranjito said:
a monster of a processor, must be dual core, i think a nice chunk of ram, and a decent graphics card.

Pretty much what you need. The GPU can't be an older Nvidia 6800 or ATI 9800 Pro tho.

teiresias

Yeah, they use one core for the EE emulation and the other for the GS emulation, or so my cursory glance seems to show. I may try this over the weekend just to see what it's like nad how it runs on my AMD X2 and X800GTO, maybe it will warrant a replay of FFX.

Dali

Honestly Sony needs to put these guys on the payroll and have them work on bettering PS3 BC. Or better yet, since the PS3 probably can't handle 8x or 16x AA, give them full access to the PS2 libraries and let them release an official Sony licensed emulator for the PC. I'd buy it. Hell I'd spend up to $100 bucks for a fully capable PC, PS2 emulator.

Danj

xemumanic said:
Pretty much what you need. The GPU can be an older Nvidia 6800 or ATI 9800 Pro tho.

Would it work if you had an E6600 and 2 gigs of RAM but only a 256Mb 6600? Because that's what I'll have after I get my birthday presents of a new board, chip and RAM on May 11th.

EGM92

Danj said:
Would it work if you had an E6600 and 2 gigs of RAM but only a 256Mb 6600? Because that's what I'll have after I get my birthday presents of a new board, chip and RAM on May 11th.

it will work but it might not be high-res/pretty. Doesn't run too great on a 6800GT/Ultra at high res w AA

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
It's not bad that there is an emulator in the works and all that jazz, but seriously, PS2s are cheap and avaiable everywhere, I don't think there's necessity for one yet, besides the technology is not advanced enough to emulate games glitch-free and at a full speed.

DKnight said:
It's not bad that there is an emulator in the works and all that jazz, but seriously, PS2s are cheap and avaiable everywhere, I don't think there's necessity for one yet, besides the technology is not advanced enough to emulate games glitch-free and at a full speed.
An emulator is badly needed as far as I'm concerned, playing on a 37" LCD is brutal on the IQ even with component cables and the few games that support 480p he games look ass compared to a tube. I want to revisit my library at native rez with 60fps and brute forced AA & AF.

Whether it be on PC or if Sony's London studio delivers one on PS3.

EGM92

DKnight said:

There's already a lot of games that run at full speed/ exceed 100% speed and are glitch-free, Phantom Brave being the latest one I played runs at nearly 130FPS if you don't enable the frame limiter.

xemumanic

PCSX2 v0.9.4

http://www.pcsx2.net

Well, its finally here. There was a 64 bit version earlier, but it was removed due to some issues with it. I guess it'll return later. However, the Linux x64 version is still up for download.

MGS3 and Katamari run now. It runs a few games online as well.

Mamesj

Banned
Big thanks for the head's up OP! Been waiting for this version forever!

DKnight said:

Even if for just a little more AA and upscaling, this is totally necessary. I have a PS2, but I'll be playing the games that run perfectly on the emulator on my PC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DKnight said:

AA / graphic filters, XBOX 360 controller (or gamepad of your choice), save state / load state controls, no load time if you rip your DVDs, potential for higher framerates, resolution upscaling, being able to alt-tab between your game and a walkthrough if you're into that, virtual memory card support, built-in gameshark / game editing, needed for machine assisted speedruns / time attacks, online play of previously offline-only games, retranslations or translations of untranslated games, region-free games without modding any hardware...

... amongst many other things.

Fair use is fair use. Legally owned content should be able to be played in any form on whatever machine the owner feels like playing it on, whether for novelty or for convenience or features.

We should all support any efforts of any programmer to help enhance our ability to play games. Five years ago, PSX emulation was doable but not enjoyable; now it's downright preferable to playing on a console.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Dali said:
Honestly Sony needs to put these guys on the payroll and have them work on bettering PS3 BC. Or better yet, since the PS3 probably can't handle 8x or 16x AA, give them full access to the PS2 libraries and let them release an official Sony licensed emulator for the PC. I'd buy it. Hell I'd spend up to $100 bucks for a fully capable PC, PS2 emulator.

I asked a PCSX2 Developer a similar question a while ago, and was told :

PCSX2DEV said:
sony are struggling to make it as compatable as theyd like, the simple fact the early PS3's will contain real PS2 hardware for backwards compatability rather than a software solution.

If sony want to look at our code and use some, thats fine as long as we get props for it (hah, like thats going to happen!). and they conform to GPL.

If they give up and plan on buying our emu, i will tell them numerous passages they can stick their offer up

Mamesj said:
Big thanks for the head's up OP! Been waiting for this version forever!

Even if for just a little more AA and upscaling, this is totally necessary. I have a PS2, but I'll be playing the games that run perfectly on the emulator on my PC.

I personally LOVE the save anywhere feature of emulators. I don't like when I get a phone call, or I have to go somewhere, and I can't find a save point in an rpg.

Mamesj

Banned
If they give up and plan on buying our emu, i will tell them numerous passages they can stick their offer up

Yeah. Right.
Sony: "here's a couple million, thanks for your hard work"
Devs: "You can go stic...wait wait, whaaaaaaa?"

bee

awesome update, the biggest two additions/fixes for me are

1) widescreen support + resolutions, haha ps2@1080p 4xaa looks great

2) the biggest improvement by far is the sound, quite a few games were fully playable before in terms of they ran full speed with no graphics glitches but the sound on a lot of them was that badly messed up you couldn't possibly play for more than a few minutes, now the sound is great in the majority of games.

RobertM

Dali said:
No you wouldn't, and neither anyone else.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
The Friendly Monster said:
Is there any way that this could ever make SOTC have a higher framerate?
Why? The game framerate speed is locked?

M3d10n

The Friendly Monster said:
Is there any way that this could ever make SOTC have a higher framerate?

It's possible. The PS2 GPU is emulated using HLE, so it isn't emulated with MHz accuracy. Any fillrate-based slowdowns should go away if the host GPU can do things faster than the emulated one.

CPU-based slowdowns are more tricky. They can be reduced/eliminated by emulating the CPU in a higher clock, but that can screw up games with hardcoded timing.

Dali

RobertM said:
No you wouldn't, and neither anyone else.

I really have no come-back for someone stating my intentions other than stfu.

It would never happen because Sony would lose revenue from future PS2 sales, but it would be nice. I'm also sure a lot of people would purchase a fully functional PS2 emulator, that allowed you to play games at a high native resolution, with 8x or higher AA and included all the benefits of running on a strong PC (near-instantaneous load times, smooth frame rates, etc.) for $100. Also, the fact that it is software would mean you essentially have a PS2 that will never break.

M3d10n said:
It's possible. The PS2 GPU is emulated using HLE, so it isn't emulated with MHz accuracy. Any fillrate-based slowdowns should go away if the host GPU can do things faster than the emulated one.

CPU-based slowdowns are more tricky. They can be reduced/eliminated by emulating the CPU in a higher clock, but that can screw up games with hardcoded timing.
Cheers. Is SOTC locked at 20 fps? 15 fps?

RobertM

Dali said:
I really have no come-back for someone stating my intentions other than stfu.

It would never happen because Sony would lose revenue from future PS2 sales, but it would be nice. I'm also sure a lot of people would purchase a fully functional PS2 emulator, that allowed you to play games at a high native resolution, with 8x or higher AA and included all the benefits of running on a strong PC (near-instantaneous load times, smooth frame rates, etc.) for $100. Also, the fact that it is software would mean you essentially have a PS2 that will never break.
And yet again I have to repeat myself, no you wouldn't spend 100$ on an emulator and neither would anyone else. People have problems paying $50 for a game, now how exactly will they be convinced to pony up $100 for an emulator? This is not a game, this is just a program that emulates, and guess what? There is already one that's out there right now for free, no matter how progressed it is, it's free. If anything, people would pirate the program the same way people pirate games, it doesn't get deeper than that.

Dali

RobertM said:
And yet again I have to repeat myself, no you wouldn't spend 100$ on an emulator and neither would anyone else. People have problems paying $50 for a game, now how exactly will they be convinced to pony up $100 for an emulator? This is not a game, this is just a program that emulates, and guess what? There is already one that's out there right now for free, no matter how progressed it is, it's free. If anything, people would pirate the program the same way people pirate games, it doesn't get deeper than that.

Are you so dense that don't you realize you are arguing what I would or wouldn't do? The emulator out now is far from being fully functional. I am saying if Sony (or anyone for that matter) released a fully functional piece of software with 100% compatiblity and all the features I listed in my previous post then I would pay $100 for it.

I would justify the cost by saying I would spend $150 on a hardware PS2 which could possibly break and also does not offer any of the advantages of the emulator. So I would consider it a deal to have a PS2 that will never break and offers vastly improved visuals, load-times, and in some cases better frame rates.

Please do not confirm me suspicions about your intelligence by replying. The only argument you have is "would not". Listen to my first post and just stfu.

Mamesj

Banned
This is a good step up. Like it was mentioned, the sound has been improved greatly and I'm getting better framerates for all the games I tried. (I assume we can't discuss specifics even if we own the games, eh?)

I'd still rather play them on the PS2, but I'm glad to see this emulator making progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom