• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pctx presents: Libya. The official thread of who knew what, when and why it happened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pctx

Banned
The following is cited from: "TheHill" as the source for what we know the full Libya timeline leading up the events of 9/11/2012 of this year.

• April 5, 2011: Special envoy Christopher Stevens arrives in the rebel stronghold of Benghazi to forge ties with the forces battling Moammar Gadhafi. President Obama appoints him as ambassador to Libya on May 22, 2012.

• February: The U.S. embassy requests — and is granted — a four-month extension, until August, of a Tripoli-based “site security team” composed of 16 special forces soldiers who provide security, medical and communications support to the embassy.

• March: State Department Regional Security Officer Eric Nordstrom sends a cable to Washington asking for additional diplomatic security agents for Benghazi, later says he received no response. He does so again in July, with the same result.

• April 6: Two fired Libyan security guards throw an IED over the consulate fence.

• May 22: An Islamist attack on the Red Cross office in Benghazi is followed by a Facebook post that warns “now we are preparing a message for the Americans.” Another Facebook posting a month later highlights Stevens’ daily runs in Tripoli in an apparent threat.

• June 6: Unknown assailants blow a hole in the consulate’s north gate described by a witness as “big enough for 40 men to go through.” Four days later, the British ambassador’s car is ambushed by militants with a rocket-propelled grenade.

• July: Anti-Islam video “Innocence of Muslims” posted on You Tube.

• Aug. 14: SST team leaves Libya. Team leader Lt. Col. Andy Wood has testified that Stevens wanted them to stay on.

• In the weeks before Sept. 11, Libyan security guards are reportedly warned by family members of an impending attack. On Sept. 8, the Libyan militia tasked with protecting the consulate warns U.S. diplomats that the security situation is “frightening.”

• Sept. 10: Al Qaeda leader Ayman al Zawahiri calls on Libyans to avenge the death of his Libyan deputy, Abu Yahya al Libi, killed in a June drone strike in Pakistan.

• Sept. 11: Protesters converge on the U.S. embassy in Cairo, scale its walls and replace the U.S. flag with the Islamist banner. The protests eventually spread to 20 countries around the world. That night, Republican candidate Mitt Romney criticizes an embassy statement denouncing the video before the events unfolding in Libya are known to the world. Late that night, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says in a statement that “some have sought to justify this vicious behavior as a response to inflammatory material posted on the Internet.”

• Sept. 12: Media outlets report that Stevens and three other Americans have been killed in an attack by well-armed militants. Obama denounces an “outrageous and shocking attack” without mentioning the video or terrorism. Reuters reports for the first time that some administration officials believe the assault “bears the hallmarks of an organized attack.”

• Sept. 13: White House spokesman Jay Carney says “the protests we’re seeing around the region are in reaction to this movie.”

• Sept. 14: Carney says the administration had “no actionable intelligence” about a pending attack.

• Sept. 16: Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the UN, does the rounds on the Sunday talk shows and says the video is the “proximate cause” of the assault in Benghazi. “Our current best assessment, based on the information that we have at present, is that, in fact, what this began as, it was a spontaneous — not a premeditated — response to what had transpired in Cairo,” Rice tells ABC. That same day, interim Libyan president Mohamed Magarief insists on CBS that “it was planned, definitely.”

• Sept. 19: National Counterterrorism Center director Matthew Olsen testifies before the Senate Homeland Security Committee that the assault was a “terrorist attack” but goes on to call it an “opportunistic” attack in which armed militants took advantage of an ongoing protest.

• Sept. 20: CBS reports that witnesses in Benghazi say there was no protest prior to the armed assault against the consulate. Magarief tells NBC the same thing on Sept. 26. Also on Sept. 20, Obama at a town hall meeting says: “What we do know is that the natural protests that arose because of the outrage over the video were used as an excuse by extremists to see if they can also directly harm U.S. interests.” Carney declares it “self-evident that what happened in Benghazi was a terrorist attack.” Clinton, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter brief members of Congress. Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) calls it “the most useless worthless briefing I have attended in a long time.”

• Sept. 21: Clinton says “what happened in Benghazi was a terrorist attack,” highest official until then to say so.

• Sept. 25: In his address to the U.N. General Assembly, Obama doesn’t mention terrorism but makes repeated references to the video. Asked about Clinton’s statement on ABC’s “The View” show, the president skirts the issue by saying: “We’re still doing an investigation,” blames “extremist militias.”

• Sept. 27: Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta says it’s “clear that there were terrorists who planned that attack.”

• Sept. 28: The Office of the Director of National Intelligence takes responsibility for linking the Benghazi attack to the video. In a statement, spokeswoman Shawn Turner says that initially “there was information that led us to assess that the attack began spontaneously following protests earlier that day at our embassy in Cairo. “We provided that initial assessment to executive branch officials and members of Congress, who used that information to discuss the attack publicly and provide updates as they became available. Throughout our investigation we continued to emphasize that information gathered was preliminary and evolving.”

• Oct. 1: State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland says Clinton stands by Rice after House Homeland Security Committee Chairman Pete King (R-N.Y.) calls for her resignation.

• Oct. 3: FBI investigators finally arrive at the crime scene in Benghazi, which has been unsecured for weeks.

• Oct. 6: In a letter to Senate Republicans demanding an explanation for the shifting rhetoric, Rice lays the blame on the intelligence community, says she “relied solely and squarely on the information the intelligence community provided to me and other senior U.S. officials.”

• Oct. 9: Senior State Department officials for the first time acknowledge that there was never any protest in Benghazi during a background call with reporters. They say linking the attack to the video was “not our conclusion,” suggesting they’re blaming intelligence officials.

• Oct. 10: Lt. Col. Andy Wood and Eric Nordstrom testify at a House oversight committee hearing on security lapses in Libya. They say their requests for more security were denied by their superiors in Washington, testimony confirmed by cables made public by chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.).

• Oct. 11: During the vice presidential debate, Biden says, “We weren’t told they wanted more security there.” He also denies responsibility for the administration’s shifting explanation: “The intelligence community told us that. As they learned more facts about exactly what happened, they changed their assessment.”

• Oct. 12: After Republicans pounce, the White House says Biden was speaking for himself and the president because such decisions are made by the State Department.
Source: http://thehill.com/blogs/global-affairs/terrorism/261839-timeline-of-libya-attack-reveals-administration-contradictions-

Now, fast forward to the Fox story that broke today regarding Tyrone Woods (who evidently I found out has ties to my Dad's company as a revelation this evening):
Former Navy SEAL Tyrone Woods was part of a small team who was at the CIA annex about a mile from the U.S. consulate where Ambassador Chris Stevens and his team came under attack. When he and others heard the shots fired, they informed their higher-ups at the annex to tell them what they were hearing and requested permission to go to the consulate and help out. They were told to "stand down," according to sources familiar with the exchange. Soon after, they were again told to "stand down."
Woods and at least two others ignored those orders and made their way to the consulate which at that point was on fire. Shots were exchanged. The rescue team from the CIA annex evacuated those who remained at the consulate and Sean Smith, who had been killed in the initial attack. They could not find the ambassador and returned to the CIA annex at about midnight.

At that point, they called again for military support and help because they were taking fire at the CIA safe house, or annex. The request was denied. There were no communications problems at the annex, according those present at the compound. The team was in constant radio contact with their headquarters. In fact, at least one member of the team was on the roof of the annex manning a heavy machine gun when mortars were fired at the CIA compound. The security officer had a laser on the target that was firing and repeatedly requested back-up support from a Spectre gunship, which is commonly used by U.S. Special Operations forces to provide support to Special Operations teams on the ground involved in intense firefights.
CIA spokeswoman Jennifer Youngblood, though, denied the claims that requests for support were turned down.

"We can say with confidence that the Agency reacted quickly to aid our colleagues during that terrible evening in Benghazi," she said. "Moreover, no one at any level in the CIA told anybody not to help those in need; claims to the contrary are simply inaccurate. In fact, it is important to remember how many lives were saved by courageous Americans who put their own safety at risk that night-and that some of those selfless Americans gave their lives in the effort to rescue their comrades."
The fighting at the CIA annex went on for more than four hours -- enough time for any planes based in Sigonella Air base, just 480 miles away, to arrive. Fox News has also learned that two separate Tier One Special operations forces were told to wait, among them Delta Force operators.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/26/cia-operators-were-denied-request-for-help-during-benghazi-attack-sources-say/

Now, what gets interesting is we have The Weekly Standard (I know, another conservative rag) break news of the following CIA statement:
"No one at any level in the CIA told anybody not to help those in need; claims to the contrary are simply inaccurate."

Source: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/petraeus-throws-obama-under-bus_657896.html

What that says to me is that the CIA didn't make the call on the backup, someone higher up told the CIA to tell their ground forces to stand down. That is a reasonable assumption given the information we have.

According to the AP:
The new claims come as Republican senators demanded that the Obama administration make public the surveillance video taken during and just after the attacks.

Sens. John McCain of Arizona, Lindsey Graham of South Carolina and Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire wrote to the defense secretary, CIA director and attorney general demanding that the video from Sept. 11 and 12 be declassified. Pentagon and CIA officials declined to comment on the senators' request. Justice Department officials did not respond to requests for comment.

U.S. intelligence officials this week turned over intelligence reports to Congress showing what officials at the CIA and other agencies knew and when. U.S. officials who have reviewed the material say it shows confusion during and in the days following the attack. Members of Congress have complained that the White House and the intelligence community stuck to the analysis that an angry mob started the attack long after it had become more clear that it was an organized militant operation.

Source: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_US_LIBYA_SURVEILLANCE_VIDEO?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-10-26-20-18-22

Now, my argument or commentary on this is concisely to the point of this statement: Our Government that overseas our well being and the rule of law, policies and procedures demonstrated two things. 1) They lied to us. They lied about the attack being an angry mob assembling on the consulate and then killing the 4 Americans who were present there at the time and tried their best to downplay the reason for the uprising. 2) Based on principle #1, our Government showed a distinct lack of maturity, responsibility and determination to do anything and everything in their power to save those 4 Americans. From that, my outrage over the Americans dying has become my battle cry but as some have so routinely pointed out, so what? So what if 4 people cared. Folks, if that were me... if that were you... is that honorable? The answer is no.

More forth coming as details come out.

Is this an election issue? I get the impression the GOP and Fox are pushing a narrative that the White House is weak in foreign policy with this

marrec

Banned
3 times help requested and 3 times denied. Appalling response from our Government!

I heard Obama and Hills were the ones to personally deny them their requests. They were also listening to the Wu Tang Clan at the time and cheering the protesters on.

Horns

The media was reporting a protest was going on. Was the military to fire into protestors?

I think there is a lot more to this story. I'd like to wait and see when more evidence comes out to determine what happened.

The problem is "unnamed sources" are making claims in order to score political points.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Why do you need 'pctx presents' on all your threads? You realize that you are seen as the topic creator already without needing that addition, right? You aren't helping your cause to be seen as "serious" when you surround your writing with joke character theatrics and drama like that.

On topic, I'm going to need a better source than Fox News and the insistence that I need to:

"Watch "Special Report Investigates: Death and Deceit in Benghazi" on Fox News at 1 p.m. ET on Saturday, 3 p.m. on Sunday and 10 p.m. on Sunday"

in order to get the full scoop, before I'm going to buy in. This reeks of election time sensationalism and comparing this to Watergate is ridiculous. If this truly is not election time sensationalism and there is genuine reason to be concerned with the reaction to Bengazi, the details will be revealed in time.

Or should we just rush it and decide the Obama administration lied about everything right now? Sounds about right as that is apparently how conservative pundits like to make all their decisions and is why they are criticising the Obama administration for not gunning now and asking questions later in Libya.

Chumly

The whole situation is just a giant joke that the republicans have turned it into. If we were to take of these republican talking points seriously then the entire bush administration should be tried and executed for war crimes. That's pretty much what it equates to.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Romney had two chances to really hammer Obama on this. The first, he used to try and catch Obama on a silly semantic point of what words were used and got shut down horribly. The second, he just sat next to Obama and agreed with him on foreign policy for 90 minutes straight.

It's over Fox. Sorry.

Pctx

Banned
Why do you need 'pctx presents' on all your threads? You realize that you are seen as the topic creator already without needing that addition, right? You aren't helping your cause to be seen as "serious" when you surround your writing with joke character theatrics and drama like that.

On topic, I'm going to need a better source than Fox News and the insistence that I need to:

"Watch "Special Report Investigates: Death and Deceit in Benghazi" on Fox News at 1 p.m. ET on Saturday, 3 p.m. on Sunday and 10 p.m. on Sunday"

in order to get the full scoop, before I'm going to buy in. This reeks of election time sensationalism and comparing this to Watergate is ridiculous. If this truly is not election time sensationalism and there is genuine reason to be concerned with the reaction to Bengazi, the details will be revealed in time. Or should we just rush it and decide the Obama administration lied about everything right now?

I am a marketing brand and my opinion has a niche market.

Horns

But there's an election coming up! We need to know the depths of BO's depravity NOW!

It took Issa an entire year of claiming Holder and Obama were tied to F&F to turn out to be only political games.

It's a shame that this is turning into more of the same.

speedline

Banned
Gaf justs thinks this is all a big joke and wonders why support for their candidate continues its decline. This explains a lot.

marrec

Banned
Gaf justs thinks this is all a big joke and wonders why support for their candidate continues its decline. This explains a lot.

The joke is that you and other conservatives have convinced yourself that a made up political farse pushed primarily by Fox News and it's braindead talking heads has influenced independent voters one way or another.

That's the joke because it's very funny.

Ha....

X-posting as this really does deserve its own thread.
---------------------------

From Fox, but every news agency is picking this up..... these mother fuckers need to be held accountable for this shit:

Link: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/26/cia-operators-were-denied-request-for-help-during-benghazi-attack-sources-say/

If you people who don't think that this is worse than Watergate, Fast and Furious in terms of cover ups by a Government, you guys/gals are literally smoking some potent shit.

Also... Panetta calling me out on "Monday Morning Quarterbacking" the Libya incident....

Link: http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/10/26/panetta-critics-monday-morning-quarterbacking-white-house-handling-of-libya-attack/

Apparently the American people and press have more information than our defense secretary does and given the facts that have come to light, I'm guessing any one on this board would have handled the situation better than he or anyone in the Obama administration did.

My argument now of 8 fucking days is null and void as this goes to show how corrupt, inept and moronic our leaders are who are in control of our military.

See this is the shit that makes you sound clueless and simply trying to be the GOP's local GAF mouthpiece. You clearly have no fucking idea what qualifies as good intelligence.

Jack_AG

Banned
The media was reporting a protest was going on. Was the military to fire into protestors?

I think there is a lot more to this story. I'd like to wait and see when more evidence comes out to determine what happened.

The problem is "unnamed sources" are making claims in order to score political points.
In all seriousness - videos of the event are allegedly online and it has been confirmed no protest. I haven't seen the video nor have I looked for it. A quick google search comes up with pages of results echoing the same. Just sayin'

Cyan

Banned

It's certainly possible there's a fire under all this smoke. But it's hard to come to that conclusion when there's a giant smoke machine right next to where they're telling us the fire is.

RDreamer

Look, republican partisan shills turned this into a fucking joke. When you cry wolf from the first second something happened and there's even a video beforehand stating you WILL turn any foreign policy problem into an election issue, and then keep crying wolf over and over then you lose your goddamned credibility. A lot of the reason this is all so goddamned confusing to get the stories right is because Mitt Fucking Romney had to put out a statement before he knew what was going on and then make a speech before the president even did. They've been striking at this issue from the very second it started. People see through that shit.

Did some things go wrong? Yes, I'm sure they did, and I hope that we'll see from this situation and learn for the future. The generals will get a better idea of maybe what they should do and/or shouldn't do, and perhaps we can avoid it next time something like this happens. That's what you've gotta do when these things happen. You can't sit here and say there's never going to be a mistake, especially in these very volatile countries, because that's just fucking naive.

Look, I don't really blame Bush even though some intelligence came out saying they did know about some of the terrorists that did 9/11 beforehand, and could have caught some of them. Hindsight is 20/20. Sometimes these things only become clear after you've made the mistake and the dust settles. That's reality.

Zen

Banned

Three things:

1) 'Gaf' isn't a singular entity
2) The vast majority of people don't see the Lybya incident as a joke, they see the blatant and tenuous attempts to politisize it as a joke.
3) You aren't up on the current trends of the election if you think that 'support for Obama continues to decline'. He's up after winning the last two debates.

Enjoy the drive by posting, though.

ptxc said:
Fast and Furious in terms of cover ups by a Government

This is beyond mind numbingly illogical, I can't believe I missed it the first time.

Horns

Let's see...

He's been accused of not being a citizen.

He's been accused of being directly involved in F&F.

He's been accused of making apology tours when he won.

His greatest achievement has been falsely called "the government takeover of healthcare".

He's been called Muslim.

He's often referred to as being a Socialist or Communist.

Excuse me if I'm not in a hurry to condemn the man by a network who has falsely pushed all these accusations at one time or another.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
X-posting as this really does deserve its own thread.
---------------------------

From Fox, but every news agency is picking this up..... these mother fuckers need to be held accountable for this shit:

Link: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/26/cia-operators-were-denied-request-for-help-during-benghazi-attack-sources-say/

If you people who don't think that this is worse than Watergate, Fast and Furious in terms of cover ups by a Government, you guys/gals are literally smoking some potent shit.

Also... Panetta calling me out on "Monday Morning Quarterbacking" the Libya incident....

Link: http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/10/26/panetta-critics-monday-morning-quarterbacking-white-house-handling-of-libya-attack/

Apparently the American people and press have more information than our defense secretary does and given the facts that have come to light, I'm guessing any one on this board would have handled the situation better than he or anyone in the Obama administration did.

My argument now of 8 fucking days is null and void as this goes to show how corrupt, inept and moronic our leaders are who are in control of our military.
"Literally," that word doesn't mean what I think you think it means.

It's nothing like Watergate and its wildly transparent why you think it is:which is that you don't, you just want to promote Romney

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom