• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCVR Game Discussion |Thread| Knocking down the (virtual) walls

c00l3ru

Might create an OT for it and combine it with Echo Arena if I have time this weekend.

I have a template I used for the Star Trek thread I made so I'll just use that.
Great idea. At the end of the day they are really one package.
And WOW. What a package they are. I can't believe people are sitting on the fence about getting lone echo. If you have vr. I truly believe this is the game you've been waiting for.

vermadas

After my initial session with Lone Echo I started looking around for things I could grab in my room to move around as if I was in zero G. Has anyone brave enough to turn off the assists that stop you from pitching and rolling?

terrible

Banned
I spent an hour+ just messing around in the lobby area or whatever it is in Echo Arena lol. I don't feel like I have enough room with my current setup to really play it properly since I kept accidentally punching things but I wish I did.

Zalusithix

I spent an hour+ just messing around in the lobby area or whatever it is in Echo Arena lol. I don't feel like I have enough room with my current setup to really play it properly since I kept accidentally punching things but I wish I did.

If you're punching things in Echo Arena, don't play Gorn! =P

I must say though, that with all this positive talk, Echo Arena is tempting me to install Oculus' software since it's free for everybody that grabs it in the first 3 months. That's something that even Superhot didn't manage to do for me.

There's no reason not to download Echo Arena for free, even if you have moral reasons for boycotting the store. While I suppose one could claim the increase in users is a benefit to Oculus...not really.

c00l3ru

After my initial session with Lone Echo I started looking around for things I could grab in my room to move around as if I was in zero G. Has anyone brave enough to turn off the assists that stop you from pitching and rolling?
I want to. I really do. But I was thinking of completing the game first then doing it.

In preparation of Serious Sam First Encounter I started Last Hope, initially I didn't even want to buy that game because "wave shooter n all that" but it came with the bundle during the summer sale. I was only really ever interested in First and Second Encounter.

But now that I've played it a bit I'm actually surprised that I enjoy it, lot's of environments, it's short burst sections, nothing lingers on for too long which is a plus! The enemy onslaught is a bit too much for me on normal difficulty at times tho so I turned it down to easy, might be too easy now but I just want to shoot shit up a bit and move on, I'm not a scorehunter.

From a wave shooter perspective this might be the best yet. Also runs buttery smooth and looks good.

I'm debating on Lone Echo... I'm not exactly sure what it is yet. I've been out of the loop lately and just getting everything setup again. Everyone seems to be talking about it. Is it a horror game?

Blam

There's no reason not to download Echo Arena for free, even if you have moral reasons for boycotting the store. While I suppose one could claim the increase in users is a benefit to Oculus...not really.

Yeah only a benefit to Ready at Dawn honestly.

Zalusithix

In preparation of Serious Sam First Encounter I started Last Hope, initially I didn't even want to buy that game because "wave shooter n all that" but it came with the bundle during the summer sale. I was only really ever interested in First and Second Encounter.

But now that I've played it a bit I'm actually surprised that I enjoy it, lot's of environments, it's short burst sections, nothing lingers on for too long which is a plus! The enemy onslaught is a bit too much for me on normal difficulty at times tho so I turned it down to easy, might be too easy now but I just want to shoot shit up a bit and move on, I'm not a scorehunter.

From a wave shooter perspective this might be the best yet. Also runs buttery smooth and looks good.
The stationary wave shooter genre was rather tiring back when seemingly every other VR game was of that mold. These days, however, we have a much wider variety of games to chose from. I can totally see a good wave shooter being a nice change of pace for short sessions, and TLH is certainly a great execution of the genre. There's been many updates to TLH since I last played, but even back then it was probably the best of its ilk.

Lakuza

So played the oculus rift for the first time properly today after setting the 3rd sensor up last night (I had tried first contact with 2 sensors ealier in the week as soon as i got the rift from the sale).

First game I tried was robo recall......omg....I am so hyped after playing the first mission.
I set the guardian boundaries at the walls of my room so I ended up punching the wall pretty hard when I got a bit too enthusiastic in trying to punch a robots head off, luckily no damage as it was my hand that touched most of the wall (the controller only had a paint scratch on the ring part of the controller).

I reduced the play space , moving the guardian boundary away form the walls a bit and luckily i still have optimal play space so I wont be punching the wall by mistake again.

The first time the spider bots jumped at me I jumped and yelled and moved back. So it scared me despite not being a horror game. The first time i caught a bullet and threw it back for a headshot on my first try was so fun.

Before this I only had a gear vr which i played alot, but the rift destroys it. It felt like a ps2/xbox to ps4/xbone jump so my mind was still blown. The touch controllers are amazing too.

Really enjoyed superhot vr, was sweating more from superhot than robo recall though which surprised me. really annoying that theres no file save system or profile. Would have liked to be able to go through the campaign seperately from my brothers. So we ended up sharing the progress (i played first 2 chapters and then watched my brothers play the rest which was still fun).

Took it in turns with my younger brothers and it was really fun watching them play too and their reactions.

Still have mage's tale, lone echo + arena (which i had pre-ordered), chronos and raw data to play but right now all i wanna play is robo recall T_T

c00l3ru

I'm debating on Lone Echo... I'm not exactly sure what it is yet. I've been out of the loop lately and just getting everything setup again. Everyone seems to be talking about it. Is it a horror game?
Oh man. You are missing out. I'm sure you got vr to be taken to the next evolution of gaming. Well this is it my friend. It truly is emersion like you've never experienced. It's science fiction bliss. But you're in it. Everything about it screams polish. Your hardware is going to waste if you don't experience it.

Zalusithix

really annoying that theres no file save system or profile. Would have liked to be able to go through the campaign seperately from my brothers. So we ended up sharing the progress (i played first 2 chapters and then watched my brothers play the rest which was still fun).

VR games in general are weak in this area. Most are built with the assumption that there's only one user of the headset, and that they'll never desire to return to a previous game state. I mean, for the most part that assumption holds true, but it's certainly a downside for those sharing a VR headset or those who want to replay certain points without doing manual folder/file management.

Might create an OT for it and combine it with Echo Arena if I have time this weekend.

I have a template I used for the Star Trek thread I made so I'll just use that.

Is someone working on it? I don't have access to my Rift yet and I haven't played the game, so I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing to the OT myself. But I'd definitely help. I can do all the necessary work in Photoshop, make gifs etc. If someone is taking it on, give me a heads up if you'd like an assist and just delegate me tasks.

Just reposting since I see you are thinking about doing it. I'm willing to help out.

Lakuza

VR games in general are weak in this area. Most are built with the assumption that there's only one user of the headset, and that they'll never desire to return to a previous game state. I mean, for the most part that assumption holds true, but it's certainly a downside for those sharing a VR headset or those who want to replay certain points without doing manual folder/file management.

Ah i see :(

those who want to replay certain points without doing manual folder/file management.

Oh, i didnt think of that. is it as easy as swapping a single file or folder out to change save progress and is it safe to do so? Will removing the specific file or folder revert the game to a first time playing state?
If so, that's something I'd love to be able to do with superhot.

Newbie. Everything so far has been really, really good. Even the experiences I'd call small or short have been great and my kids have adored (so, all the shorts and movies and videos or short items)

Aside from free stuff, I've bought Elevens, H3, Superhot, Thumper, BlazeRush, and now Lone Echo because it sounds like that's maybe the system seller (after I've bought the system). Today alone, I just spent like 45 minutes rallying with the AI in Elevens and shooting random guns in H3. It's great stuff.

My kids have really liked Farlands and racing in BlazeRush and just looking at things in space like the Steam VR home areas.

My only qualm right now is that nobody IRL has VR, so, chances to talk about it are nonexistent. But, I guess that means I'm the chosen one to show it off to new people.

Newbie. Everything so far has been really, really good. Even the experiences I'd call small or short have been great and my kids have adored (so, all the shorts and movies and videos or short items)

Aside from free stuff, I've bought Elevens, H3, Superhot, Thumper, BlazeRush, and now Lone Echo because it sounds like that's maybe the system seller (after I've bought the system). Today alone, I just spent like 45 minutes rallying with the AI in Elevens and shooting random guns in H3. It's great stuff.

My only qualm right now is that nobody IRL has VR, so, chances to talk about it are nonexistent. But, I guess that means I'm the chosen one to show it off to new people.

Yea I have no friends that have a PCVR, only one that has a PSVR. So we can play Bridge Crew together but that's it.

c00l3ru

I honestly didn't think we'd get this far so quickly after playing lone echo. I'm blown away with what can be achieved with current tech.
My god the future looks so fucking bright folks.
RAD you have created a masterpiece. You deserve all the accolades and praise that is coming your way.
Thank you

Zalusithix

Oh, i didnt think of that. is it as easy as swapping a single file or folder out to change save progress and is it safe to do so? Will removing the specific file or folder revert the game to a first time playing state?
If so, that's something I'd love to be able to do with superhot.
Generally speaking removing the file / folder in which a game has stored its save profile will revert the game to the default status. Obviously don't remove anything without first backing up what's being removed though. On Steam, you'd also want to disable cloud saves for the game before deleting / moving local save content as it'll want to fight your efforts. I don't think Oculus has a cloud based save mechanism yet, so there shouldn't be any similar hitches there.

I honestly didn't think we'd get this far so quickly after playing lone echo. I'm blown away with what can be achieved with current tech.
My god the future looks so fucking bright folks.
RAD you have created a masterpiece. You deserve all the accolades and praise that is coming your way.
Thank you

But... the game is only 6 hours long. So I feel like I should write it off already as a joke. I'll wait for $5.

Order 1886 Joke, still sad I'll never see a sequel

c00l3ru

But... the game is only 6 hours long. So I feel like I should write it off already as a joke. I'll wait for $5.

LOL. Yeah. So many people worried about the length of it.
It's the best 4 hours I've ever EVER spent (still not completed it). And I know I will replay it at least once but proberbly a hell of a lot more because the fluidity of the experience is like nothing else. The controls, the locomotion, the graphics are all superlative.
Give me 6 hours of this anyday compared to 30 hours of mediocre.

Lakuza

Generally speaking removing the file / folder in which a game has stored its save profile will revert the game to the default status. Obviously don't remove anything without first backing up what's being removed though. On Steam, you'd also want to disable cloud saves for the game before deleting / moving local save content as it'll want to fight your efforts. I don't think Oculus has a cloud based save mechanism yet, so there shouldn't be any similar hitches there.

I got it through oculus so no cloud saves here. I found the folder with the save file so will definately use this workaround. Thanks a ton :D

LOL. Yeah. So many people worried about the length of it.
It's the best 4 hours I've ever EVER spent (still not completed it). And I know I will replay it at least once but proberbly a hell of a lot more because the fluidity of the experience is like nothing else. The controls, the locomotion, the graphics are all superlative.
Give me 6 hours of this anyday compared to 30 hours of mediocre.

So glad to hear its worth the price. I was a little worried in the morning that I'd pre-ordered it without playing the arena beta and also since the arena portion is free so It's like we're paying a premium for the single player content. I havent refunded it and its installed and ready for me to play when I can resist playing robo recall.

c00l3ru

So glad to hear its worth the price. I was a little worried in the morning that I'd pre-ordered it without playing the arena beta and also since the arena portion is free so It's like we're paying a premium for the single player content. I havent refunded it and its installed and ready for me to play when I can resist playing robo recall.[/QUOTE said:
If you think robo recall is good (and it is) then you're in for one hell of a treat with lone echo. It's in a completely different league.

stoke1863

I cant believe i ignored VR this long its just incredible.

So far been playing Robo Recall and Luckys tale which are both excellent. Reading the impressions of Lone Echo is making me very excited to buy it next week hopefully.

GeoGonzo

Holy crap you can do that?
Its 1:30AM, I reaaaaally shouldn’t go check this out now. And yet...
-edit-
Well, that was disappointing: no inertia, and you can’t rotate yourself by grabbing a surface or using hand thrusters on opposite directions. Actually the only thing those assists allow you to do is to manually roll and pitch with the joysticks... which doesn’t seem very useful or fun.

"Well, that was disappointing: no inertia, and you can’t rotate yourself by grabbing a surface or using hand thrusters on opposite directions. Actually the only thing those assists allow you to do is to manually roll and pitch with the joysticks... which doesn’t seem very useful or fun."

I would looooove if they allowed you to rotate yourself with the thrusters.

Zalusithix

Holy crap you can do that?
Its 1:30AM, I reaaaaally shouldn't go check this out now. And yet...
-edit-
Well, that was disappointing: no inertia, and you can't rotate yourself by grabbing a surface or using hand thrusters on opposite directions. Actually the only thing those assists allow you to do is to manually roll and pitch with the joysticks... which doesn't seem very useful or fun.

Inertia and free roll? Sounds like a recipe for ADR1FT like problems. Would have to bury that option four layers deep behind warning screens. ;)

Edit: More submission bugs fixed. All submitted games should be present now. Also manually updated a few games to have the Steam links. (Anybody can technically do this by altering an existing submission for about an hour to the unlisted store URL. The script will cache the information from the store scrape and it'll persist after the submission is changed back to whatever it was.)

Soi-Fong

Not a horror game so no jump scares or anything. In terms of interaction Lone Echo has raised the bar.

It's a legit AAA experience for me.

Salamande

To The Top is a game I've been obsessed with the past week or so. Kind of like Climbey, but more visceral and fast-paced. You almost feel like a jungle cat leaping through the levels. I've been having a blast.

Ok, so I haven't played Adrift yet. Should I play through that before trying Lone Echo? I feel like the latter will ruin any enjoyment of the prior. Not sure if it's worth it at this point (did Adrift ever get touch controls patch?).

Soi-Fong

Ok, so I haven't played Adrift yet. Should I play through that before trying Lone Echo? I feel like the latter will ruin any enjoyment of the prior. Not sure if it's worth it at this point (did Adrift ever get touch controls patch?).

If there's ever a time to play it, now would be time BEFORE Lone Echo.

If you try to play Adrift after Lone Echo, you're just gonna constantly compare the two over and over in Lone Echo's favor.

Adrift is pretty much dead in the water as well. Don't expect a Touch update for it as it would require a major rehaul from the dev end to support Touch. The baked animations as well as having no IK in the game is a serious hurdle for Touch support.

Adrift is extremely repetetive, it completely relies on good graphics and floating through zero gravity and then all you do is fly through the same environments over and over again pressing the same buttons on walls over and over again.
I stopped playing the game halfway through because of that. That's just my opionion of course!

Don't play Adr1ft in VR. It is game from the first line of VR games, when no one knew how to make them properly.

Hexer06

*snip*
Still have mage's tale, lone echo + arena (which i had pre-ordered), chronos and raw data to play but right now all i wanna play is robo recall T_T

I still haven't played Robo Recall cuz it had to download while I played games, but Raw Data... you're in for a treat. It was so fun just reloading the pistol, or swinging the sword around. Shotgun is pretty cool too. I can't wait to try Robo Recall though!

Question to anyone: Does Oculus Store not download while you're playing a game? It did it on the GearVR, but I swear it wasn't doing it while I was playing my games on the Rift. :/

Lakuza

Is it normal for the monitor feed of what the player is seeing to be lower than their view? Is there a way to make it so the monitor is showing 100% of where the playing is looking (atleast vertically)?

Also would be nice to get some audio going to the pc speakers too but i'm aware oculus doesn't have an option for this yet.

I still haven't played Robo Recall cuz it had to download while I played games, but Raw Data... you're in for a treat. It was so fun just reloading the pistol, or swinging the sword around. Shotgun is pretty cool too. I can't wait to try Robo Recall though!

Looking forward to it :D

Soi-Fong

So played the oculus rift for the first time properly today after setting the 3rd sensor up last night (I had tried first contact with 2 sensors ealier in the week as soon as i got the rift from the sale).

First game I tried was robo recall......omg....I am so hyped after playing the first mission.
I set the guardian boundaries at the walls of my room so I ended up punching the wall pretty hard when I got a bit too enthusiastic in trying to punch a robots head off, luckily no damage as it was my hand that touched most of the wall (the controller only had a paint scratch on the ring part of the controller).

I reduced the play space , moving the guardian boundary away form the walls a bit and luckily i still have optimal play space so I wont be punching the wall by mistake again.

The first time the spider bots jumped at me I jumped and yelled and moved back. So it scared me despite not being a horror game. The first time i caught a bullet and threw it back for a headshot on my first try was so fun.

Before this I only had a gear vr which i played alot, but the rift destroys it. It felt like a ps2/xbox to ps4/xbone jump so my mind was still blown. The touch controllers are amazing too.

Really enjoyed superhot vr, was sweating more from superhot than robo recall though which surprised me. really annoying that theres no file save system or profile. Would have liked to be able to go through the campaign seperately from my brothers. So we ended up sharing the progress (i played first 2 chapters and then watched my brothers play the rest which was still fun).

Took it in turns with my younger brothers and it was really fun watching them play too and their reactions.

You're doing yourself a disfavor by not playing Lone Echo. Play it!!!

Cyanity

Banned
great stuff already covered and submitted
pavlov
gorn
serious sam first encounter wouldnt let me link the bundle
vanishing realms
rick and morty
accounting
space pirate trainer
special delivery
knockout league
arizona sunshine

made a couple of shitty quality ones for when gorn was on itch
gornstuff_zpsrpwmzrah.gif

gornbackattack_zps3jhw1hyx.gif

gorndecap_zpssqkbjkl8.gif

Holy shit

Paganmoon

Sooo, I know it might be like swearing in church, but anyone know a way to get Nvidia 3D-vision games to work on virtual desktop or cinema mode or something like that? Google doesn't bring me much hope on that front though.

You should play Robo Recall last. Because after it shooting in all other games does not fells so satisfying

Also bow shooting in the Lab. It is so good.

Is the consensus that it's worth setting uo ReVive to play Echo arena? Wasn't sure about it and Lone Echo because of the touch controllers

Soi-Fong

Is the consensus that it's worth setting uo ReVive to play Echo arena? Wasn't sure about it and Lone Echo because of the touch controllers

Any Vive user should do themselves a favor and try to play Lone Echo and Echo Arena. These two games are game changers for VR in terms of interaction and the locomotion problem.

Try to play Lone Echo without any distractions and good headphones and such. It's just an amazing experience overall.

I am curious though to see how the trigger is handled for ReVive as Lone Echo makes extensive use of the trigger below your middle finger for the Touch controllers.

"Is the consensus that it's worth setting uo ReVive to play Echo arena? Wasn't sure about it and Lone Echo because of the touch controllers"

Yes. That's the short answer. It's by far the best multiplayer VR game that's not a racing game.

"I am curious though to see how the trigger is handled for ReVive as Lone Echo makes extensive use of the trigger below your middle finger for the Touch controllers."

By default, it's mapped to the grip button on the Vive wands, but I use a fork of Revive that swaps the Trigger and the Grip button and it is a dramatic improvement. It's been brought to the Revive developer's attention and I think it'll be made an option within the original project eventually.

"Is the consensus that it's worth setting uo ReVive to play Echo arena? Wasn't sure about it and Lone Echo because of the touch controllers"

Yes. That's the short answer. It's by far the best multiplayer VR game that's not a racing game.

"I am curious though to see how the trigger is handled for ReVive as Lone Echo makes extensive use of the trigger below your middle finger for the Touch controllers."

By default, it's mapped to the grip button on the Vive wands, but I use a fork of Revive that swaps the Trigger and the Grip button and it is a dramatic improvement. It's been brought to the Revive developer's attention and I think it'll be made an option within the original project eventually.

Trying it now and I can def see the appeal of switching trigger and grip - might have to look into that.

Also damn. This is great.

Another tip is to install OpenVR Advanced Settings, if you haven't already, and change the grip mode from "Hybrid" (the default) to "Normal." By default, grip is semi-sticky. Meaning if you hold the grip for longer than a half second, it changes into a toggle where you need to let go and press the button again to toggle the grip off. You don't want that *at all* in Echo Arena. You want to grab and let go immediately at all times.

https://github.com/GiantSox/Revive/releases/tag/1.1.10-TriggerGrip2 -- there's the fork of Revive I use, for anyone interested. Just follow the directions and replace the .dll in the proper location.

Edit: There's just been an official Revive update that allows you to swap the trigger and the grip button, so you don't need to use this fork anymore.

Top Bottom