• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peak Sega

Peak Sega

• 82-84 (Congo Bongo, Sindbad Mistery, Champion Boxing)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2004-06 (Initial D Arcade Stage 3, Spartan Total Warrior, Phantasy Star Universe)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
What are your favorites years ? (i only mentioned internal games except Sonic Transformed because it's a Sega all star game and Sumo often uses Outrun's engine. It seems to be the case for the first Sonic Racing.. )

Your best Sega memories ?
Your wish for the future Sega Games ?

2 votes allowed. (it's still a dilemma)

pramod pramod Your peak Sega is on the list ;) (but i removed all the published games like Ecco, SOR2, Shining Force 3, Bayonetta. Only Sega of Japan or internal Sega West)

Good point from GymWolf GymWolf , ecen if it bombed i think Binary Domain is a good key title for 2012.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Anything this legend did.

yusuzukiinterview-e1618931639188.png

Dude you gotta give us more than two choices 😂.

If I could state years-wise it's 1992 - 2004 IMO. I think they've been hitting their stride again the past few years though, just need to do more AA/AAA sequels/remakes of classic IP.

Mr Hyde

Even though I loved the Genesis/Mega Drive my favorite time with Sega was the Saturn and Dreamcast. The games they released on those were so good and pushed the envelope for gaming. I feel Sega is not getting enough credit during these years, and too much focus is centered on their failure and exit from the console hardware space

The first time you set out with your dragon in Panzer Dragoon, co-op with a buddy in Guardian Heroes, going out on an adventure in Dark Savior, are magical moments for me growing up. And it just continued with awesome experiences like Nights, Sega Rally, Burning Rangers, Soul Calibur, Code Veronica, Shenmue, Grandia 2. The games coming out during this time was of an outstanding quality Sega has never again reached. No matter what happens I will always be a Sega kid at heart.

Fat Frog

it just continued with awesome experiences like Nights, Sega Rally, Burning Rangers, Soul Calibur, Code Veronica, Shenmue, Grandia 2. The games coming out during this time was of an outstanding quality Sega has never again reached. No matter what happens I will always be a Sega kid at heart.
True. There were awesome experiences on Sega consoles but that's a pretty unfair comparison. Half the games you mentioned were peak Namco, peak Capcom or peak Game Arts...

Of course, Sega never reached Soulcalibur's quality again. It's Namco.
If you only count Sega's Fighting Games on Dreamcast, there was VF3TB which is quite good but VF4 and VF5 on PS2/3 were better... so it's not that simple.
That said, peak Sega is probably somewhere near the end of the 90's and early 00's. (i have the feeling the Dreamcast key veteran who came back at Sega to manage the "Super games" could lead us to a new golden age)

Last edited:

Fat Frog

No need for more than one vote. 89-91 and it isn't even close.
Not even close, my ass 😁.
Ok, very iconic franchise were born in 89 like Golden Axe, ok, there was the WOW effect of the first Genesis games... but Revenge of Death Adder is ten times better than the OG game. (except for the music)

As for creativity, i would give the victory to 98-2000 and the definitive 3D episodes of popular franchises were released in the 00's like Virtua Fighter 4...

Kokoloko85

Golden Axe until Ikaruga

Last few years has been good too with Streets of Rage 4, Catherine, Persona, Disgaea, Yakuza 7, Judgement etc

Last edited:
Not even close, my ass 😁.
Ok, very iconic franchise were born in 89 like Golden Axe, ok, there was the WOW effect of the first Genesis games... but Revenge of Death Adder is ten times better than the OG game. (except for the music)

As for creativity, i would give the victory to 98-2000 and the definitive 3D episodes of popular franchises were released in the 00's like Virtua Fighter 4...

opinion-sucks-your-opinion-sucks.gif

Fat Frog

Golden Axe until Ikaruga
People are really mixing things up 😁.

Power Stone, Ikaruga are not Sega games...

Consoles are often misleasing our overall appreciation of a company.

I remember a lot of casual gamers thought MGS, Final Fantasy were Sony Games in the 90's or Megaman a Nintendo IP...

Faithless83

Banned
How the F you divided it in two years chunk and expect as to make two votes? Fix that damn thing! :messenger_pouting:

SEGA was at it's best on Genesis/Dreamcast era. They lost a lot of great talent after that.

lachesis

While I enjoyed 98-00 the most - I chose 89-91 as peak time for Sega.
Peak bubble = such outrageous arcade games and Megadrive felt like the future. 16 bit!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
92-94. Maybe my games listed are a bit off by year, but close enough:

Genesis (hands down best system for sports games, and their best action games held their own vs SNES Konami/Capcom games)
- Streets of Rage 2
- Shinobi 3
- Contra
- Castlevania
- Thunderforce 4
- EA NHL games
- Sega Sports boxing games
- Sportstalk baseball and football games. And then WSB and NFL 94

Arcade (awesome racing games, especially if you ever tried the deluxe cab for Virtua Racing)
- Virtua Racing
- Daytona USA

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
I was already going to vote for any option that was Daytona.

They actually bettered Outrun for cultural significance and if it wasn't for the license it would be on every platform forever like Tetris, Space Invaders and Pac Man.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I was already going to vote for any option that was Daytona.

They actually bettered Outrun for cultural significance and if it wasn't for the license it would be on every platform forever like Tetris, Space Invaders and Pac Man.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Most of those aren't peaks but a constant super high bar, from Shinobi to Outrun to Daytona to Virtual On to Sega Rally 2 and their Dreamcast era they were relentless until like Virtua Fighter 4.

On the home front too, from Phantasy Star to Shining Force to Panzer Dragoon, Dragon Force, Phantasy Star Online, arcade ports, etc., too many games to even begin listing.

It's a shame it rarely translated to commercial success compared to the competition's PR but oh well, great games is all that matters in the end and they put out.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
End of MegaDrive + Mega CD + Game Gear then Saturn. Can't believe how many awesome games they were releasing during this period.

pramod

Banned
What are your favorites years ? (i only mentioned internal games except Sonic Transformed because it's a Sega all star game and Sumo often uses Outrun's engine. It seems to be the case for the first Sonic Racing.. )

Your best Sega memories ?
Your wish for the future Sega Games ?

2 votes allowed. (it's still a dilemma)

pramod pramod Your peak Sega is on the list ;) (but i removed all the published games like Ecco, SOR2, Shining Force 3, Bayonetta. Only Sega of Japan or internal Sega West)
How can SoR2 not be considered Sega? That's just nuts.

Fat Frog

How can SoR2 not be considered Sega? That's just nuts.
I didn't say that. It's just many gamers are often complaining with their "blabla Sonic Mania wasn't developed by Sega" "blabla same for Streets of Rage 4".(Lizard and Guard Crush)

So the focus is on internal games.I considere published games as Sega IPs but it's complicated to list or simply evocate 1000 games... 😇(too many published games)
(SOR 1 and 3 are Sega of Japan, not SOR2)

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Imagine not even considering condemned 1or binary domain in that list...
Good point for Binary Domain (updated the OP to underline that game. People can change their vote)
I tried to only list 3 games by era (1 game per franchise for the entire list, internal)

I thought about Condemned but the focus is on Sega's own Studios.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

The beginning of the Dreamcast era is when they were at their peak. Sonic Adventure, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, so many classic games that still somewhat hold up to this day. The same can’t be said for Sonic Adventure 2, Shenmue 2, Crazy Taxi 2, and JSR:F. After the originals, it started going downhill fast.

GrayFoxPL

Didn't vote; I've always liked Sega.

Favorite memory is release of Soulcalibur on the Dreamcast; to this day the launch title that has most impressed me.

I love my Saturn and Dreamcast and play them often. I'm also a huge Yakuza fan and own all the entries that have been released on PC so far.

Really, huge?

Spock Encerio GIF

Top Bottom