• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Peak Sega

Peak Sega

• 82-84 (Congo Bongo, Sindbad Mistery, Champion Boxing)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2004-06 (Initial D Arcade Stage 3, Spartan Total Warrior, Phantasy Star Universe)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Really, huge?

Spock Encerio GIF
Yes.

All mainline games are now on PC, so... What's the issue again?

Kokoloko85

People are really mixing things up 😁.

Power Stone, Ikaruga are not Sega games...

Consoles are often misleasing our overall appreciation of a company.

I remember a lot of casual gamers thought MGS, Final Fantasy were Sony Games in the 90's or Megaman a Nintendo IP...

Ikaruga was published by Sega on dreamcast and made by treasure so its kinda like a 2nd party.

Not like powerstone or mgs lol

GrayFoxPL

Yes.

All mainline games are now on PC, so... What's the issue again?
Maybe in that the Yakuza 1 and 2 were released on the PS2 in 2006 and 2008(in EU). And have as much similarity with the "Kiwami" editions as a characters and somewhat how the plot goes. The rest are completely different games.

I bought all the PS2, PS3 and PS4 releases on day 1 and still I call myself a "fan" not a huge fan, because I didn't import the Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan, Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin and the PSP spin offs Kurohyo 1 and 2.

So yeah, "huge fan", take it down a notch.

Fat Frog

I advertised for Google Stadia
Ikaruga was published by Sega on dreamcast and made by treasure so its kinda like a 2nd party.

Not like powerstone or mgs lol
I think you're talking about simple distribution. The Japanese Dreamcast cover doesn't show any Sega logo if i remember but they probably had a distribution deal in the west...

Gunstar Heroes is a Sega published game (made by Treasure), for instance.

I really doubt this the case for Ikaruga, i don't remember a Sega mention on the title screens...

Maybe in that the Yakuza 1 and 2 were released on the PS2 in 2006 and 2008(in EU). And have as much similarity with the "Kiwami" editions as a characters and somewhat how the plot goes. The rest are completely different games.

I bought all the PS2, PS3 and PS4 releases on day 1 and still I call myself a "fan" not a huge fan, because I didn't import the Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan, Ryu Ga Gotoku Ishin and the PSP spin offs Kurohyo 1 and 2.

So yeah, "huge fan", take it down a notch.
I'm aware of the release history of Yakuza games, thanks for the (useless) remedial lesson.

I don't give a single fuck about your gatekeeping. I'm a huge fan of the series.

Pretty interesting how Dreamcast-era Sega has a slight lead, although I suppose that may be partly because Megadrive Sega spans two eras.
I gave my vote for 92-94; I feel peak Sega went right along with peak Classic Sonic, and Sonic's good sales and reputation at the time makes it feel more like a "peak" than the Dreamcast era, which felt more like a "candle in the wind" of sorts. Definitely like my Dreamcast though.

Kinda amused how much a minority those "post-Console Sega" fans actually are in spite of how vocal they are in other threads.

Fat Frog

Kinda amused how much a minority those "post-Console Sega" fans actually are in spite of how vocal they are in other threads.
Yeah, they are the majority on Era. It's all about RGG Studio, Atlus and Sega games made on Gamecube (huge Nintendo fanbase). For instance, peak Sega is F-Zero GX era for them or Yakuza flood era.Disturbing... That's why i like reading Gaf as well. There are more good old fans...

Also, did you notice IGN didn't mention any old Sega IP in their top 100 of all time...

Not a fucking single one.
Their only Sega game making the list was Persona 5R... Pathetic IGN.🤡

Last edited:
Sure you are.
Who the fuck gave you the authority to say who's a fan or not? Or you the leader of an underground Yakuza game Fan Club that allows members in only after they show their original, day 1 PS2 copy of Ryu Ga Gotoku, and give you their severed pinky finger? No? Ok then...

To me you're just an online rando, a nobody. Don't know who you are, nor care.

I'm a huge Yakuza fan, and I'm actually done with this nonsensical conversation. Take your dumb gatekeeping somewhere else.

PeteBull

Personally voted for 98-2k option but its superhard to estimate sega's peak, keep in mind thats how their flagship game looked on model 3 arcades in 96(so times of tekken2 on psx)

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Who the fuck gave you the authority to say who's a fan or not? Or you the leader of an underground Yakuza game Fan Club that allows members in only after they show their original, day 1 PS2 copy of Ryu Ga Gotoku, and give you their severed pinky finger? No? Ok then...

To me you're just an online rando, a nobody. Don't know who you are, nor care.

I'm a huge Yakuza fan, and I'm actually done with this nonsensical conversation. Take your dumb gatekeeping somewhere else.

Yes, you are a HUGE fan.

Ashley Olsen GIF by Filmeditor

RAIDEN1

1992-2000 the downfall of Sega, the 32x and Saturn did more damage to Sega's name than the Sega CD EVER did....

Fat Frog

The beginning of the Dreamcast era is when they were at their peak. Sonic Adventure, Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio, so many classic games that still somewhat hold up to this day. The same can’t be said for Sonic Adventure 2, Shenmue 2, Crazy Taxi 2, and JSR:F. After the originals, it started going downhill fast.
Well, they probably had budget limitations and could'nt release only new IPs.(cannot blame them for Crazy Taxi 2, PSO v2) It would have been an even bigger suicide without sequels.

I agree with you on the creativity of that period nonetheless the Xbox/gamecube days hold up better in my opinion.(Panzer Dragoon Orta is somehow an almost perfect rail shooter)

Fat Frog

1992-2000 the downfall of Sega, the 32x and Saturn did more damage to Sega's name than the Sega CD EVER did....
Well, the Saturn damaged the brand for casual gamers of the 90's, that's true.
On the other hand, Saturn became popular among certain gamers (Fighters or RPG fans) for decades to come.

Nowadays, most gamers barely know the Saturn. (except a few otakus)
It's more like a curiosity.

Mega Drive - Saturn era was amazing.

Sad that Sega really buggered things up so badly, but even if it was a successful Dreamcast launch etc, they would be still out of the console game as they would never have been able to stand up to Sony, MS and Nintendo.

The thing I hate about them is they always release Megadrive compilations.. I mean release a Saturn one! Nights, Daytona, Sega Rally, Burning Rangers, if light guns could be used again then Virtual Cop, House of the Dead etc...

It's funny, in the 90s I had a deep hatred for Sega, now I have a lot of respect and affection for Sega
Nintendo kid back in the day ;) ?

Well, the Saturn damaged the brand for casual gamers of the 90's, that's true.
On the other hand, Saturn became popular among certain gamers (Fighters or RPG fans) for decades to come.

Nowadays, most gamers barely know the Saturn. (except a few otakus)
It's more like a curiosity.

I think more gamers actually know of the Saturn today than a decade ago. There was a time in the 2000s where Saturn seemed like it was getting shat on by everyone. Retro Sega in general, it felt that way. Then we thankfully started getting some credible retro enthusiasts jumping into the content creation game, getting spots at publications online, who were able to bring some genuine perspectives and respect for Sega into the space.

Now there's a metric ton of enthusiasm for MegaDrive, Saturn, Dreamcast...even Mega CD and 32X. And it's not just among the old heads like back in the early to mid 2000s'. It's great to see appreciation for their classic systems get the recognition they deserve, even if some people are still out there exposing their lack of taste/skill in trying to push a "Sonic was never good" message further than pure lolz meme status.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I think you're talking about simple distribution. The Japanese Dreamcast cover doesn't show any Sega logo if i remember but they probably had a distribution deal in the west...

Gunstar Heroes is a Sega published game (made by Treasure), for instance.

I really doubt this the case for Ikaruga, i don't remember a Sega mention on the title screens...

Ah my mistake then, I thought it was published by Sega.

In that case, 1989 - Sakura Taisen 4 lol

nivix

Neo Member
They've made a lot of great games. I still enjoy playing the Phantasy Star games, Streets of Rage 1-3, Golden Axe 1-3 and others. 92-94 was a very strong time. The only years I played and liked the Madden games and the other great sports games they had. So many great memories.

GymWolf

Don't care for the usual sega output so i voted the year of Yakuza 0.

But the real answer is 2004-2005 (Condemned 1)

Komatsu

I'm one of those SEGA nerds that actually much prefer the output of the company's lean years. I liked the SMS/Genesis era, of course. Loved me some Phantasy Star (absolutely jaw-dropping RPG for 1987), Sonic, Shining Force.. But SEGA for me reached their peak creatively during the short Dreamcast era, with SEGA Saturn also being a high mark as far as quality games go.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is widely recognized as one of the greatest games of all time. An absolute masterpiece.

Shining Force III also a landmark title, praised by SRPG fans to this day.

Shenmue revolutionized gaming. People don't understand how key it was for the whole open world revolution that would come just a couple of years later.

Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5, Seaman brought the kinectic, weird energy of the SEGA arcades to the living room.

And even when the lights were about to go off, they never ceased to surprise. Can you imagine Nintendo ever doing something like SEGAGA?

91mCfbA.png

I'm one of those SEGA nerds that actually much prefer the output of the company's lean years. I liked the SMS/Genesis era, of course. Loved me some Phantasy Star (absolutely jaw-dropping RPG for 1987), Sonic, Shining Force.. But SEGA for me reached their peak creatively during the short Dreamcast era, with SEGA Saturn also being a high mark as far as quality games go.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is widely recognized as one of the greatest games of all time. An absolute masterpiece.

Shining Force III also a landmark title, praised by SRPG fans to this day.

Shenmue revolutionized gaming. People don't understand how key it was for the whole open world revolution that would come just a couple of years later.

Crazy Taxi, Space Channel 5, Seaman brought the kinectic, weird energy of the SEGA arcades to the living room.

And even when the lights were about to go off, they never ceased to surprise. Can you imagine Nintendo ever doing something like SEGAGA?

91mCfbA.png

Man I'm hoping someone does a fan translation of this in the future, would love to give it a playthrough!

Yeah, they are the majority on Era. It's all about RGG Studio, Atlus and Sega games made on Gamecube (huge Nintendo fanbase). For instance, peak Sega is F-Zero GX era for them or Yakuza flood era.Disturbing... That's why i like reading Gaf as well. There are more good old fans...
Gamecube Era Sega was pretty solid, up until Shadow the Hedgehog. That game was kinda the start of Sega's more troubled eras in the transition to HD.

Yakuza's pretty good, too, but part of the reason it stands out now is because it's one of the few things Sega (as in, their own internal studios) consistently puts out anymore. It's like how Sonic used to be before it's rep was tarnished with bad releases... which makes me worry that may become Yakuza's fate down the line.

Fat Frog

Sega died in 2000
The guy who was in charge of the Dreamcast's lineup is recently back at Sega and now head of all Sega Studios. 🤑🤩🤑:

"SUPER games" incoming ? No. MEGA games !!! 😜

Sega was doing well lately.
Pretty sure he'll do wonders with AM2/AM1 (back in consumer branch), RGG, ATLUS, Creative Assembly (even somen Jet Set Radio staffs are back at Sega FFS) 😎

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Sorry i didn't put a poll choice for 2004-06. It's often considered as the dark era of Sega because of Sonic 06.
Nonetheless, even in troubles, Sega had some good games like Virtua Fighter 5, House of the dead 4, Initial D arcade stage 3 and the birth of the very popular in Japan Sangokushi Taisen franchise.

Of course, it was disapointing for many Dreamcast fans like me but keep in mind, behind the curtain, Sega was preparing its future:

Sega started buying or creating a lot of western publishers like Sport Interactive or the Sega Racing Studio. (died after the very good Sega Rally 3 on Arcade)

At the time, gamers were skeptical but later really enjoyed Alien Isolation and are looking forward for their new FPS...

Then Atlus happened... then Sega veterans coming back for the "super games/AAA projects"... then the birth of the Sapporo Studio.

Sega almost died in 2000 (body) and 2004 (Soul) but a little flame did resist (7th Dragon, Valkyria Chronicles, Alien Isolation, Binary Domain, Lost Judgment...not mentioning published classics like Bayonetta, Vanquish, Resonance of Fate) and it's growing with key veterans coming back, leading new projects and new blood from Japan (Sapporo Studio still managed by Sega veterans)

Fun fact:
(unreleased Dreamcast game)
dragons-crown-slider.jpg

Dragon's Crown was supposed to be a key title for the Dreamcast like Princess Crown was for the Saturn.

Seeing Dragon's Crown released under the Sega-Atlus banner 15 years later is a great reminiscence of the golden era of the Dreamcast. Buying Atlus was smart and logical for the Sega brand.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

Sega had 2 peaks - Sonic 3&K, and the Dreamcast
Model 3 was Alien tech, even 10 years later, only a few racers were more beautiful than scud race:

96, dudes... the pixel vomit simulator called Gran Turismo on PSX wasn't even released 😆😎

EDMIX

I'd say peak Sega could be right now.

With the Persona series moving more units, SMTV moving lots of units, Yakuza moving record units, Judgement and many other new IP, they are doing very good right now.

So I hope to see them put that attention on Persona like they did on Yakuza last gen and give us a remake of Persona 1 and 2, remaster 3,4,5 and announce 6 lol (exactly what was done to Yakuza lol, remake 2, port 3, new entry)

Fat Frog

I'd say peak Sega could be right now.

With the Persona series moving more units, SMTV moving lots of units, Yakuza moving record units, Judgement and many other new IP, they are doing very good right now.

So I hope to see them put that attention on Persona like they did on Yakuza last gen and give us a remake of Persona 1 and 2, remaster 3,4,5 and announce 6 lol (exactly what was done to Yakuza lol, remake 2, port 3, new entry)
Releasing good sequels is a good start but it's not enough.

That said, if they keep high quality standards and once again produce top notch new ambitious IPs like the Dreamcast era ("super games" ?), then we'll talk.

Maybe in 5-10 years with RE Fantasy, the new FPS from Sega West, Super games from AM1, AM2, Team PSO, Valkyria... i'm quite optimistic to be honest.

Last edited:

Fat Frog

In fact, if we count published games of post dreamcast Sega, it's easily one of the most awesome game provider:

Condemned
Vanquish
Bayonetta
Resonance of Fate
Streets of Rage 4
Anarchy Reign
Renegade Ops
House of the dead overkill
Sonic Mania
Sonic All Star Racing Transformed
Infinite Space
Mad World

The poll would have been less brutal with the 2008-12 time period.

But i chose internal games only because many gamers don't considere them as real Sega games. (they are Sega games but not 100%, that's true)

I also didn't put 2006 in the poll because it also was the acquisition of Secret Level (Bad marvel games and mediocre Golden Axe reboot)

Ok, that didn't last very long (they released bad titles for only 2 years from 2008 to 2010, death of the studio)

Later, Sega West became fantastic by acquiring Relic, Amplitude, Hardlight (they made an excellent Chuchu Rocket Universe), Two Point Studio... (keep in mind it was an already strong structure with Sport Interactive, Creative Assembly).

After creating a strong army in the west, Sega did an incredible move by buying the "rock star" Atlus and lately created the Sapporo Studio to help Sega of Japan to finally produce AAA.

In 2022, Sega has no loss anymore and strong studios.(twice metacritic publisher king) It's locked they'll be an important publisher for years to come.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Growing up, I was able to have both a Sega Genesis, and Saturn, although I had felt so burned by the Sega Saturn that I didn't want to make the mistake of asking my parents for a Dreamcast. While I have a lot of fond memories of Sega's consoles and their library of games, I also remember constantly being massively disappointed with their library of games. A lot of hugely popular 3rd party games on Super Nintendo, and PlayStation 1 & 2 did not come out for Sega's consoles. I remember looking at the release dates for upcoming games in EGM, and the Saturn section was only ever a handful of games, while the PlayStation list was multiple pages.

Which is not to say that Sega's systems did not have amazing games. My real love for Sega started with the Saturn. Panzer Dragoon Saga, Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona USA, Sega Rally Championship, Guardian Heroes, Shining Force III, Radiant Silvergun, Virtua Cop, Tomb Raider, Nights: Into Dreams, Clockwork Knight 1 & 2. Bug 1 & 2, Sonic 3D Blast. It's just that I wanted to play Final Fantasy VII damnit!

If nothing else, Sega was incredibly strong at making first party titles and supporting their systems, it just wasn't enough to compete with the juggernauts of Nintendo, and Sony at the time.

I am sad that a lot of the Saturn library has never left the system. We are thankfully getting a remake of Panzer Dragoon later this year, and some of these games have gotten better sequels. But I would kill to have a complete remake of Panzer Dragoon Saga because that game is one of the most unique JRPGs ever made, but apparently the source code is lost forever.

PiOie7a.png

kunonabi

The Dreamcast is my favorite console of all time so obviously I'm all about that but really the 90s and the first couple years of the 2000s is a pretty damn good run.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I knew what the leader of the poll was gonna be and I knew it was gonna be wrong

98-2000 SEGA was a shitshow

85-91 SEGA was the best video games ever had to offer I LIVED in the arcades back then SEGA ruled

Last edited:

Fat Frog

I knew what the leader of the poll was gonna be and I knew it was gonna be wrong

98-2000 SEGA was a shitshow

85-91 SEGA was the best video games ever had to offer I LIVED in the arcades back then SEGA ruled
98-2000 a shitshow ? What do you mean ? Any example ?

Fat Frog

Another proof of the strong synergy between Sega and Atlus through time ?

Soul Hackers...

It was primarly a Saturn game. (ported years later on PSX and Vita)

Soul Hackers 2 isn't a game which has nothing to do with Sega.

It's a grand son of the Sega Saturn.
Welcome back, Soul Hackers 🥳

What next ? A Ragna centy sequel would be great (it was a Sega/nextech game, translated by Atlus in the West... another Sega Atlus collaboration from the past ;) )

Last edited:

Fat Frog

GymWolf GymWolf
Just added 84 and 2004, it was quite difficult since in the early 80's AM studios weren't a thing and there were a lot of Sega published like Zaxxon (but not developped by Sega).

Fun fact:

Like many Sega games of the 80's and 90's, Columns was not really created by Sega.

An HP employee just sold the rights to Sega (it was a bit similar with Puyo Puyo and in 2016 Sega also acquired Techno Soft's IPs).

Columns in the 80's before the Sega Arcade version

1990 Columns by Sega (they acquired the rights)

Columns and Puyo Puyo were no created by Sega, BakuBaku Animals was...
Another fun fact:
The great producer of Baku Baku and Last Bronx (Yoshiro Akata)
left Sega before the Dreamcast for a stupid reason !
I couldn't beat Virtua Fighter with Last Bronx so i left Sega. It was a personal challenge. 😅😡😝

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Genesis-era Sega was bad ass, they dropped the ball pretty hard with the Sega CD/32x/Saturn but really felt like they steered the ship back on course with the Dreamcast. Shame it felt too little too late.

Fat Frog

Genesis-era Sega was bad ass, they dropped the ball pretty hard with the Sega CD/32x/Saturn but really felt like they steered the ship back on course with the Dreamcast. Shame it felt too little too late.
How dare you ! 😆
Saturn games were just ahead of their times 😎:

Top Bottom