• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pearl Jam Rock Band announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evenflow

Ok I must say this is the best news of all time! Hopefully that's the full setlist! I mean Red Mosquito? Footsteps? Do the Evolution? Like a dream come true

Varna

How can they be so stupid?

Unless all this stuff can be exported, they have totally gone back on everything they said Rock Band would be.

EDIT: I have no problem with disc based expansions. But every single thing should also be available as a download.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
DevelopmentArrested said:
how bout elite beat agents 2 or ouedan 3.
the console music genre is stale. and yes im sure retail stores are tired as fuck for having to carry the big fisher toy instruments.

Gotta ask iNiS for that.

The console music genre was pretty shit in the past too unless you were an importer and loved the Bemani series (o wait, that had fake plastic toys and even addendum discs to supplement more songs). There were only a handful of good music games in the past anyway and mostly from Japanese developers.

Do you guys complain when a new album hits iTunes too? OMG more music to buy, what the fuck music industry!

The only issue with Pearl Jam Rock Band is if you can export/import songs. If not, then fuck them.

Chemo said:
This seems ridiculous and excessive, but I could have maybe gotten behind it if WMA had been on the potential setlist. Worthless without that song.

Hmm..WMA? I don't think it makes a great song, but it could be great for the drums. I love that song, just don't think it's at the top of the list. I'd rather put Glorified G.

Wario64 said:
Gotta ask iNiS for that.

The console music genre was pretty shit in the past too unless you were an importer and loved the Bemani series (o wait, that had fake plastic toys and even addendum discs to supplement more songs). There were only a handful of good music games in the past anyway and mostly from Japanese developers.

Do you guys complain when a new album hits iTunes too? OMG more music to buy, what the fuck music industry!

The only issue with Pearl Jam Rock Band is if you can export/import songs. If not, then fuck them.
what are your thoughts on beatles rock band.

Varna said:
EDIT: I have no problem with disc based expansions. But every single thing should also be available as a download.
Blame that on the license holders of the music, I guess. It's what happened to ACDC, and it's going to happen to the Beatles.

As long as they go the ACDC route of being able to export it as a one time download code remedies most of my complaints against it.

Firestorm

stuburns said:
Oh please no.

I thought the Beatles were going to be a one off. I don't want them to run Rock Band into the ground.
I think it's fine as long as they continue to let you import songs onto your hard drive and play them in Rock Band (2) like they did with ACDC.

If they go the Guitar Hero route of having to change games for each one though, that's just stupid.

skip

Wario64 said:

agreed. I've always hated forced bundles from the very first Guitar Hero download packs.

but to the larger point, everyone wishes that this would happen with their favorite band. I mean come on, they're letting the fans vote on favorite live versions!

Leatherface

Why can't RB and GH just do full fledged content packs for download / purchase instead of a full priced retail release? Jesus. I'd be more apt to spend $10 on robust content pack than purchase yet another version of these friggin' games! lol

I had yet to be interested in buying rock Band or Guitar Hero, despite considering both great games, but this...THIS IS MY CALLING! Best band ever.

Pearl Jam Rock Band... You Are Mine!!!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
what are your thoughts on beatles rock band.

Don't care for it. Just cause it has the name Rock Band doesn't mean you have to buy every release. Same with Guitar Hero Metallica. No one is forcing you to buy these games.

jts

...hate me...
lawblob said:
How could I forget
The day Skip hit GAF with his surpriiiise PJ love
My brain left hurting
Dropped wide open
Just like the daaaaay
Like the day I put all my plastic instruments for sale on Ebaaaaaaayyyy!!
Harmooonix didn't give attention
To the fact that EA didn't caaaare
King Rock Band the wicked
Ruled his world

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Leatherface said:
Why can't RB and GH just do full fledged content packs for download / purchase instead of a full priced retail release? Jesus. I'd be more apt to spend $10 on robust content pack than purchase yet another version of these friggin' games! lol
Licensing issues, the bands are dicks about digital distribution, more presence at retail etc.

Archie said:
It is. You can play every currently available song, minus 3, in Rock Band 2, and odds are that Lego RB and TB:RB will be playable in RB2.

Really? Odds are that you can play Beatles in RB2?

Also, I welcome our new disc based future. It's about damn time!

Wario64 said:
Don't care for it. Just cause it has the name Rock Band doesn't mean you have to buy every release. Same with Guitar Hero Metallica. No one is forcing you to buy these games.
of course not.. does that mean i can't complain about their existence? ive seen you thinly veil troll games, no one was forcing you to buy those either.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
of course not.. does that mean i can't complain about their existence? ive seen you thinly veil troll games, no one was forcing you to buy those either.

I dont know what games you're referring to, but you're simply complaining about what is essentially DLC to a game that has already set its foundations.

You guys kill me. If they announced this as a download, everyone would cream. But as a disc it's somehow milking it? As long as you an export the songs into your list, it's fine. Moar like this, please.

RadarScope1 said:
You guys kill me. If they announced this as a download, everyone would cream. But as a disc it's somehow milking it? As long as you an export the songs into your list, it's fine. Moar like this, please.

BUT YOU CAN'T PICK THE EXACT SONGS YOU WANT!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What, Phish weren't cooperating? Seriously....Pearl Jam? That's your answer to Metallica and Van Halen? o_O

I mean, I completely understand the direction Harmonix is going with, but I really can't buy Pearl Jam as a band to headline an entire video game.

Ten-Song

RadarScope1 said:

I like the DLC better though, because then I can get the four or so songs I'm really interested in off that list and skip the rest. As it is, if I want to play those 4 songs, it looks like my only option is spending the cash on a full game, which is stupid.

Angry Grimace said:
What, Phish weren't cooperating? Seriously....Pearl Jam? That's your answer to Metallica and Van Halen? o_O

I mean, I completely understand the direction Harmonix is going with, but I really can't buy Pearl Jam as a band to headline an entire video game.

You'll get the 30-year-old-American-male-that's-starting-to-feel-old market like THAT.

Christopher

man I thought all songs could be played together in one game, just keep releasing a key everytime a new rockband comes out.

and wow PearlJam is NOT as good as Metallica, Aerosmith, or The Beatles to get its own release.

skip

Angry Grimace said:

yes, featuring one of the most influential and popular rock bands of the 90s (still putting out good stuff today). what a baffling decision for ROCK BAND.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Angry Grimace said:

RB needs Phish badly.

Christopher said:
man I thought all songs could be played together in one game, just keep releasing a key everytime a new rockband comes out.

and wow PearlJam is NOT as good as Metallica, Aerosmith, or The Beatles to get its own release.
And what do you know about music? How old are you?

http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/popcandy/2005-07-05-pop-candy_x.htm

Pearl Jam voted by fans as the #1 American rock band of all time. I know this list means nothing, but it shows the kind of following this band has. They arent' "as good as Aerosmith or Metallica?"

GTFO

Meier

Christopher said:
Pearl Jam fucking shits all over AC/DC, Metallica and Aerosmith. It isn't even close. No one compares to the Beatles obviously.

Angry Grimace said:

Yeah, you also know jack shit about music. I guess PJ is before your time.

EDIT: And Metallica is definately in my top 10 bands of all time. Don't get me wrong. But I'm PJ for life.

EazyB

Banned
stuburns said:
Oh please no.

I thought the Beatles were going to be a one off. I don't want them to run Rock Band into the ground.
This.

Better be exportable. Ideally I'd like all the tracks available in DLC as well.

I don't know why people still fail to grasp the idea of just buying discs that appeal to you.

Nooo, you'll run it in to the ground with your optional content!

Acid08

Banned
Where are the people saying that Harmonix/EA's whoring is somehow not as bad as Activision/Neversofts whoring when it comes to these games?

Meier said:
Pearl Jam fucking shits all over AC/DC, Metallica and Aerosmith. It isn't even close. No one compares to the Beatles obviously.
wat

Varna

Acid08 said:
Where are the people saying that Harmonix/EA's whoring is somehow not as bad as Activision/Neversofts whoring when it comes to these games?

Even they can't defend them anymore.

ZeoVGM

Banned
When will this end? How many times can you buy the exact same game with different tunes?

Typical. Could we stop jumping to conclusions?

a) They're picking from live tracks. There's a very good chance this will be like the AC/DC Walmart thing.

b) Rock Band is a music PLATFORM. You're not FORCED to buy songs you don't want. Some of you need to stop pretending like this is a negative thing or that you're forced into buying games.

c) You could export AC/DC Live which means you can almost definitely export this. I know we may not be able to export The Beatles: Rock Band, due to, well, The Beatles, and that will be lame, absolutely. But that is most likely a one-time thing (if that's definitely the case).

Again, it is a platform. That's like saying "eh, they're putting out too many songs on iTunes".

The more songs they put out, whether it's wide-release retail, exclusive retail, or download, the better. It gives the people who play Rock Band options. How is that a bad thing? It's not like they're doing yearly sequels. Rock Band 3 isn't coming out in a few months with new upgrades. They're simply building on the song choices we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom