• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pearl Jam Rock Band announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
seriously how the fuck can anyone be against this, other than the usual NeoGaf "they are running it into the ground!" crap that posters like to throw around. Its just more songs. The point of Rock Band is the play songs. This is just more of them. If you don't like them who cares, get some other songs, but the more variety the better, right? Obviously there is some money grubbing going on in that they are packaging them together in one pack instead of just releasing them one by one for d/l, but cost wise it'd probably end up about the same if you bought each song individually so where is the beef? More than likely if you are going to want to download a live version of Rearviewmirror or Betterman, you're probably a PJ fan anyway. Of course they are going to take advantage of a popular band with a big fanbase like Pearl Jam, same thing they did with ACDC and Metallica.

Someone explain how this is a bad thing?

Mamesj

Banned
I'm just going to resist giving up.

If these band centered music-games work out for the companies, fine. I have to say Pearl Jam and the Beatles are far more more enticing than the Guitar Hero stuff aimed at middle-aged guys who still brag about playing guitar in a high school band.

ZeoVGM

Banned
ICallItFutile said:
Okay, EA is getting as bad as Activision now.

Lego Rock Band
Rock Band: The Beatles
Rock Band Unplugged
Rock Band Pearl Jam

vs

DJ Hero
Band Hero
Guitar Hero 5
Guitar Hero Greatest Hits
Guitar Hero Van Halen

And also, this complaint is silly too. As far as I know, you can't even export GH: Metallica or GH: Van Halen or GH: Greatest Hits, can you? (Correct me if I'm wrong on that one, please.)

You'll be able to export Pearl Jam, almost definitely. The Beatles is a case of copyright issues, which is lame, but we still don't even know for sure. And you can already export AC/DC Live.

But as far as milking goes, let's go down the list:

LEGO Rock Band - They're making a version of Rock Band for kids. I'm not sure what the problem is here. We are not the audience for this (and chances are, the songs will be available in some form for regular Rock Band).

The Beatles: Rock Band - Will be awesome. Pretty much fact. And yes, again, it'll be lame if we can't export but let's wait and see.

Rock Band Unplugged - Are we seriously going to count this as milking? It's not even a Rock Band game. It's Frequency 3 with the Rock Band brand name so that people actually buy it. No one is going to play that and say "I'm so tired of Rock Band".

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ninja Scooter said:
seriously how the fuck can anyone be against this, other than the usual NeoGaf "they are running it into the ground!" crap that posters like to throw around. Its just more songs. The point of Rock Band is the play songs. This is just more of them. If you don't like them who cares, get some other songs, but the more variety the better, right? Obviously there is some money grubbing going on in that they are packaging them together in one pack instead of just releasing them one by one for d/l, but cost wise it'd probably end up about the same if you bought each song individually so where is the beef? More than likely if you are going to want to download a live version of Rearviewmirror or Betterman, you're probably a PJ fan anyway. Of course they are going to take advantage of a popular band with a big fanbase like Pearl Jam, same thing they did with ACDC and Metallica.

Someone explain how this is a bad thing?

It's bad cause Harmonix is focusing on a multiplayer component, resulting in a poor single player experience for Rock Band

Hurm. HURM.

I'm surprised actually, that Harmonix are doing this.
But what I don't get it is, they obvious want to make money, then why aren't they doing guitar & game bundles?

I realise it's not 'the full band experience' but hasn't it worked really well for Guitar Hero?

Some people need to understand that you will likely be able to export all this shit into RB2. The minute I can't do that anymore that's when ill start complaining. All this means is more content for my RB2 main game which is a good thing. The people who come in here moaning and don't even play these games this is why alot of us prefer RB over GH.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:
Hurm. HURM.

But what I don't get it is, they obvious want to make money, then why aren't they doing guitar & game bundles?

I realise it's not 'the full band experience' but hasn't it worked really well for Guitar Hero?

And yet, then GAF would be even more upset over nothing.

Ridley327

Zeouterlimits said:
Hurm. HURM.

They've actually been moving away from that with recent games. Metallica didn't have one, Smash Hits isn't going to have one and it's a safe bet that Van Halen won't, as well. I doubt we're going to see a new instrument being bundled until GH5, and that could very well just be a re-packaged Genericaster.

Zeouterlimits said:
Hurm. HURM.

Activision aren't doing band bundles for GH:M, GH:SH or GH:VH. GH:5 may get new hardware, or it may just be a bundle with the old stuff. Who knows?

I don't think now is really the right time to try and sell people more hardware. Focus on getting software out there so people can pick the game they want and you can keep the franchise going.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I don't think we will get any new hardware for a long time. I think that retailers are pissed off that so much shelf space has to be reserved for the instruments.

Ridley327

Archie said:
I don't think we will get any new hardware for a long time. I think that retailers are pissed off that so much shelf space has to be reserved for the instruments.

Best Buy has had no less than three fire sales on GH3 and GH:A bundles and we're still not close to being rid of them completely.

Archie said:

Say that to Harmonix and their so-pricey-it'll-never-sell range of instruments for RB:Beatles.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
BigBlackGamer said:
I don't even understand what this means to be honest.

A really bad joke

I think the hardware bundles are gonna slow down after some stores had to discount the Guitar Hero World Tour bundles numerous times. I think anyone who is remotely interested in music games already have some sort of instrument controller by now.

I think this is gonna be another disc/code thing like AC/DC anyway

Cruzader

Banned
So I hope whoever buys all this silly crap(along with the DLC) aint the ones complaining about consoles being too expensive.

i'm going to be completely honest

if they make a Rock Band Cornell Rage featuring songs from Soundgarden, Rage Against the Machine, and Audioslave, i will pay any amount

any amount

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Cruzader said:
So I hope whoever buys all this silly crap(along with the DLC) aint the ones complaining about consoles being too expensive.
...What does that have to do with anything in this thread?

Yeah... I used to be a huge Pearl Jam fan.

They have a decent number of good songs, but not really enough to justify an entire game.

I mean really- they never topped their first album. There are maybe a dozen REALLY good PJ songs.

AndyMoogle said:
Well, maybe not. But there are plenty of PJ songs already in RB. And most of them aren't even fun to play.

They probably are if you like the band. It's like how everybody hates Doolittle in Rock Band but I play it all the time.

Varna

AndyMoogle said:
Well, maybe not. But there are plenty of PJ songs already in RB. And most of them aren't even fun to play.

I'm not defending this travesty, but most of the Pearl Jam songs in RB are awesome.

TheGreatDave said:
They probably are if you like the band. It's like how everybody hates Doolittle in Rock Band but I play it all the time.

Funny. I know I've seen you mention stuff about Doolittle not being very good (not translating well into RB and whatnot).

jts

...hate me...
Cohsae said:
I must agree. I mean, COME ON!
I second, third or fourth this. It's really sad :( That and Last Kiss missing too.

Are those 2 on the store at least?

kassatsu

Banned
ICallItFutile said:
Okay, EA is getting as bad as Activision now.

Lego Rock Band
Rock Band: The Beatles
Rock Band Unplugged
Rock Band Pearl Jam

vs

DJ Hero
Band Hero
Guitar Hero 5
Guitar Hero Greatest Hits
Guitar Hero Van Halen
That is a completely different game, and it doesn't use any plastic toys. I have no problem with that one.

Concept17

They really should do 'packs'. Multiple bands in a single release. Maybe something in line with tours... like NIN and Jane's Addiction. Single bands seems like kind of a waste.

Plaguefox

TheGreatDave said:
Say that to Harmonix and their so-pricey-it'll-never-sell range of instruments for RB:Beatles.
Those peripherals are probably not going to sell very well to Us Gamers(tm). But I speak from personal experience when I say that there are people who don't even play games—lots and lots and lots of them—who are going to buy the most expensive version of The Beatles Game regardless of whether it's any good or worth the money because it's the Beatles.

Let's watch as the milking gains parity and proves Dave right all-along. I think the most significant difference is still exportability, though; that's why I still favor Rock Band. So my interest in the PJ project is along the same lines as Stumpokapow's: if I can play this content in my "platform", I'm good to go. If not, bleh.

Plaguefox said:
Those peripherals are probably not going to sell very well to Us Gamers(tm). But I speak from personal experience when I say that there are people who don't even play games—lots and lots and lots of them—who are going to buy the most expensive version of The Beatles Game regardless of whether it's any good or worth the money because it's the Beatles.

Let's watch as the milking gains parity and proves Dave right all-along. I think the most significant difference is still exportability, though; that's why I still favor Rock Band. So my interest in the PJ project is along the same lines as Stumpokapow's: if I can play this content in my "platform", I'm good to go. If not, bleh.

The game may sell because of the music, but I don't know if the peripherals will because of the association. I think they look really nice, but even I don't know if I can justify getting more than just one guitar, and I'm a whore.

I think RB:Beatles can be successful, but I really don't know if a $250 bundle can ever be.

paparazzo

In my opinion, they aren't all that talented and really don't deserve their own RB game. That's just my opinion though. I'd be all over an Audioslave RB or GH. :D

bobby_kotick_activision.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom