• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pearl Jam Rock Band announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

jrricky said:
The people that despise Guitar Hero for this reason and not Rock Band are lol worthy.

xbhaskarx said:
Can you export Guitar Hero Aerosmith / Metallica / Van Halen songs into Guitar Hero World Tour?

jrricky said:
I actually dont see the difference at all.

If you can't export the GH songs, what do you mean you "can't see the difference at all"? Wouldn't that be a difference?
Are you saying you're blind or stupid or something?

birdman

Protip for fistful: When making your character, don't put all the points into the "disturbing stalker" attribute, you'll forget to put points in good taste of music.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
xbhaskarx said:
If you can't export the GH songs, what do you mean you "can't see the difference at all"? Wouldn't that be a difference?
He's a Nintendo fan. They don't have that luxury. :p

xbhaskarx

Xevren said:
I'm pretty much with you Dave, I honestly dont care about any of the Rock Band or Guitar Hero games coming up at all.

TheGreatDave said:
I mean, I'm all for lots of discs like this

Are you pretty much with some other Dave? I'm pretty sure Dave has supported disc-based market oversaturation all along (at least in the case of GH).

jrricky

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
I know like allowing you to bring songs over makes any difference at all in how the franchise is being milked. You might favor it but it doesnt make a difference if you play songs off of one disk or another, or your damn harddrive.

xbhaskarx

Archie said:
He's a Nintendo fan. They don't have that luxury. :p

My mistake, sometimes I forget other people actually still use their Wiis.

jrricky said:
I know like allowing you to bring songs over makes any difference at all in how the franchise is being milked. You might favor it but it doesnt make a difference if you play songs off of one disk or another, or your damn harddrive.

Wait so in that case, releasing new songs as DLC would also be milking, right?

xbhaskarx said:
emot-iceburn.gif

xbhaskarx said:
Are you pretty much with some other Dave? I'm pretty sure Dave has supported disc-based market oversaturation all along (at least in the case of GH).

He's with me in wanting RB3, rather than themed games or spin offs.

In answer to your previous post; DLC is as much "milking" as regular disc releases is. Both are the same thing, just in a different package

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jrricky said:

Erm, yes it does.

You're playing a music game socially. Your friend wants to play "She Sells Sanctuary". Tough shit, you're on the wrong disc. Switch to that. Okay, now Bob wants to pick a song. "Do The Evolution"? Hot track. Oh wait, switch discs. Man I could go for some "Highway Star". Hope you've got your Bass Hero Deep Purple disc handy. Oh man, I'm in the mood for "Rag Doll". Well, pop in Guitar Hero Aerosmith (btw hope you weren't intending to use your band or characters to play this, lol aerosmith goofy fucking faces lol).

Each of these times you switch discs, ignoring how inconvenient it is to have a stack of discs at the ready, you've got to skip through loading screens, reconfirm all your instruments, etc, etc.

For 20 minutes of songs, you've just spent ~5-6 minutes if not more switching discs.

Note: if you reply "well then don't try to play songs that are on a different disc", you're exactly proving the point. Which is more convenient--an iPod with your whole music library, or a CD player and a stack of 200 CDs? Don't be obtuse.

Pearl Jam only has three albums that are really big hits, and part of that was because they pushed out a lot of material in the early days.

You have no clue what you're talking about. Pearl Jam delibaretely pulled back on their own fame at their peak, because they didn't want to sell out. For those first 3 albums, they were bar none, the biggest band in the world. Bigger than Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, anybody...

No Code came out, they did no promotion, no music videos, no nothing. They experimented with their style, continuing to make amazing music, just not the typical anthems people were used to. But they never stopped.

Then came Yield, that was a huge success. Do the Evolution was their first video in like 10 years, and it was an animated video by Todd McFarlane. They had countless radio hits off of Yield, such as In Hiding, Wishlist, Given to Fly, Evolution, Brain of J.

Continuing on, Binuaral is probably my all time favorite album. In 2000, PJ had an incredible tour. THe songs they cranked out for Binaural were fucking awsome, and the songs that they left off of the actual album that later appeared on Lost Dogs, were better singles than most bands could ever hope for "Sad, Education, In the Moonlight, Strangest Tribe, Fatal)

This band has legions of fans man

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
They weren't bigger than Nirvana, and they were never better, that's for sure. But Nirvana got cut short so who knows.

Anyhow, they don't seem relevant enough anymore for this game, but I like them, and am happy for their big fans.

xbhaskarx

TheGreatDave said:
In answer to your previous post; DLC is as much "milking" as regular disc releases is. Both are the same thing, just in a different package

In that case I'm pro-milking, as long as I don't have to switch discs.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
TheGreatDave said:
DLC is as much "milking" as regular disc releases is. Both are the same thing, just in a different package

Here's my playlist for the evening, disc release style:

Weezer - My Name is Jonas
Blind Melon - No Rain
Aerosmith - Back in the Saddle
Metallica - Dyers Eve
Steely Dan - Do It Again

Suggest to me how I should go about playing it. Which games should I use, how long will it take, how convenient is it for me to play these songs? Give me a cost estimate, assuming I've already got the instruments and I just need to buy the appropriate discs. Also, I want to play all of these songs with my band, my characters, my decals, etc.

Here's my playlist for the evening, DLC style:

RHCP - Dani California
Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song
Survivor - Eye of the Tiger
AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long
Styx - Renegade

Now explain the same thing for this one. I assume since you play all the rhythm games that you do play you should recognize which games have which songs and you should be able to give me an answer without looking this stuff up.

Do you see how a consumer might feel like they're getting milked a bit harder by one than the other? Both in terms of cost and in terms of convenience? Just above me, xbhaskarx summarizes it very concisely; it feels less like milking, or milking feel less frustrating when the "different package" is more pro-consumer.

VindicatorZ said:
You have no clue what you're talking about. Pearl Jam delibaretely pulled back on their own fame at their peak, because they didn't want to sell out. For those first 3 albums, they were bar none, the biggest band in the world. Bigger than Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, anybody...

No Code came out, they did no promotion, no music videos, no nothing. They experimented with their style, continuing to make amazing music, just not the typical anthems people were used to. But they never stopped.

Then came Yield, that was a huge success. Do the Evolution was their first video in like 10 years, and it was an animated video by Todd McFarlane. They had countless radio hits off of Yield, such as In Hiding, Wishlist, Given to Fly, Evolution, Brain of J.

Continuing on, Binuaral is probably my all time favorite album. In 2000, PJ had an incredible tour. THe songs they cranked out for Binaural were fucking awsome, and the songs that they left off of the actual album that later appeared on Lost Dogs, were better singles than most bands could ever hope for "Sad, Education, In the Moonlight, Strangest Tribe, Fatal)

This band has legions of fans, and they have continued to produce awsome music.

Don't forget that despite not receiving a whole lot of radio/tv attention, at least not until their recent S/T album, they would continually sell out arenas and stadiums all over the world. Try have a diehard fanbase a release like this makes quite a bit of sense.

Musashi Wins! said:
They weren't bigger than Nirvana, and they were never better, that's for sure. But Nirvana got cut short so who knows.

Anyhow, they don't seem relevant enough anymore for this game, but I like them, and am happy for their big fans.

Their first two albums outsold nirvanas two big albums from that time period (nevermind/in utero and ten/Vs.). It's really arbitrary title but at the time if Vs.'s realease you could easily make the argument that Pearl Jak were the biggest band in the world

Concept17

fistfulofmetal said:
you may think i'm exaggerating but the Beatles really are truly awful. look it up in a book or something. you'll learn a thing or two.

I wouldn't say they're awful by any means, but imo they're not very enjoyable to listen to.

I also prefer Metallica... are they better? I don't really care. I just love their music.

Pearly Jam is pretty meh for me. They've been rock radio station filler music for as long as I can remember.

jrricky

Banned
xbhaskarx said:

Wait so in that case, releasing new songs as DLC would also be milking, right?
:lol Always resorting to personal attacks when the odds are against eh?
If you want to know, yes, I use my Wii (as do millions of Wii owners) way more than I use my 360.

And yes, but DLC does not factor into my complaint much, just when they keep making it every year with so many bundles and release versions.

ZeoVGM

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
you may think i'm exaggerating but the Beatles really are truly awful. look it up in a book or something. you'll learn a thing or two.

You are so annoying. Just fucking stop trying so hard.

element

This thread is crazy.

Pearl Jam only has three albums that are really big hits, and part of that was because they pushed out a lot of material in the early days.
I wouldn't say that Pearl Jam pushed out anymore material then any other band of that time, or any band for that matter. Bands typically have a two year turn around for albums. ST in '91, VS in '93, and Vitalogy in '94. Vitalogy really only came out so quickly because of working with Brendan O'Brien after VS. I really wouldn't call that 'pushing out' material at all. Also after Vitalogy, Pearl Jam had the fan base to pretty much live off their tour receipts. They pretty much sold out every show they played for the next decade. You got to respect a band that can release 72 official bootlegs of their shows, and fans want more.

That is pretty silly. Pearl Jam was by far the most successful band to come out of the 'grunge' scene in Seattle. From '95 to '05, they were probably one of the most prolific 'rock bands' in the world. Ten has sold 13m, VS 7m, 5m.

jrricky said:
:lol Always resorting to personal attacks when the odds are against eh?
If you want to know, yes, I use my Wii (as do millions of Wii owners) way more than I use my 360.
Link_Posing.gif

You know for some reason I'm not surprised.

I personally don't give a fuck about Pearl Jam (no offense to those who do care, taste is subjective) so I don't see why I should care whether this exists or not. How can it dilute Rock Band franchise/platform for me? I can just ignore it.

I did get the AC/DC disc, and sold it as quickly as possible. Now I have the download code associated with my account for life, and I can re-download the AC/DC tracks if I ever lose them. It's kind of a shit disc, though (all live tracks, no Bon Scott voice, etc), and a horrible value. It only cost me about eight bucks out of pocket though (since I resold the disc).

I have a sinking feeling that the Beatles and Lego RB tracks won't be "exportable".

jrricky

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
Link_Posing.gif

You know for some reason I'm not surprised.
And why should you be? Are people not allowed to be fans of something? I dont get how platform preference (which means its off topic)has anything to do with how Rock Band is obviously (dont understand why this wasnt obvious from the first one) now being milked.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
VindicatorZ said:

This band has legions of fans man
And here I thought video games were produced to make money, not provide fanservice for people who know what Eddie Vedder had for breakfast.

xbhaskarx

jrricky said:
And yes, but DLC does not factor into my complaint much, just when they keep making it every year with so many bundles and release versions.

So songs downloaded to a hard drive are okay, but songs copied from a disc to a hard drive are not okay?

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
fistfulofmetal said:

You know what else is awful? Keeping 40gb of pictures of one woman creep-o.

The more the merrier. I barely play regular games anymore. Not enough discs yet, not enough DLC yet. I keep figuring the more music they add, the more chances I'll find songs I want.

Mileena

Banned
This is dumb and Pearl Jam is far from being a good enough band to have their own plastic instrument game. I hope they know this is going to bomb sales wise.

FerranMG

Oh Activision. Wai-

:/

Depending on how Guitar Hero 5 and DJ Hero turn out, I might get this one and the Beatles ones.
However, I guess I'd have to get a new set of, at least, drums, to play propperly RB, since I hated the original ones.
And, you know, I'm more a Guitar Hero guy.

birdman

corkscrewblow said:
This is dumb and Pearl Jam is far from being a good enough band to have their own plastic instrument game. I hope they know this is going to bomb sales wise.

Ten being the highest-selling grunge album of all time tends to say otherwise, besides it looks like it's gonna be more like ACDC and less like Beatles so it's not a gigantic venture.

Mileena

Banned
Ten is good but we already have it on RB. Vs is great and other than that they don't have an amazing album. If it's AC/DC gimped style track pack I don't give a shit but if it's a full game that's just a dumb idea. RB3 where?!

birdman

corkscrewblow said:
Ten is good but we already have it on RB. Vs is great and other than that they don't have an amazing album. If it's AC/DC gimped style track pack I don't give a shit but if it's a full game that's just a dumb idea. RB3 where?!

I can't expect it any other way but ACDC style if it's nothing but live versions.

I don't really mind RB / GH doing this, but I would like them to try this with a more modern band. Thinking about it though, these games are probably made to reach out to the 30-50 year olds who normally wouldn't give these types of games much attention.

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
Beatles are boring awful tripe.
Pearl Jam decent. Ten is an ok album.

Neither are as good as Metallica

Van Halen is the ideal band for a music game.

Hahaha, post of the decade.

jrricky

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
So songs downloaded to a hard drive are okay, but songs copied from a disc to a hard drive are not okay?
reread my statement. I never said DLC is okay, I said yes thats milking it to but that was just someone else's complaint and not what I was directly arguing about.

And seriously man, you absolutely lost me on the second part of your statement.

As a big Pearl Jam fan, I must say i'm very excited about this.
As an Australian, I must say I'm worried about when/if they will sell the game here. I mean, Rock Band 2 still isn't even out yet... (and it's region locked on 360)

Also, as mentioned, no Yellow Ledbetter = fail! Should be the last song in the game :D

Lastly, we can't vote as the software is only for americans :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom