• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pennsylvania least game obsessed state in US, Ohio, Michigan, Texas the most. 42% of Americans play mobile, 39% consoles, 26% PC. 40% skip eating.

https://wmmr.com/2022/09/09/pennsylvania-is-the-least-video-game-obsessed-state-in-america/
To conduct the study, SolitaireBless.com asked more than 2,000 gamers across the country to tell them about their video gaming habits on phones, consoles and computers. As it turns out, gamers in Ohio, Michigan and Texas play the most each week.

As for Pennsylvania, the Keystone State is actually tied for the honor of being the least video game-obsessed state in the nation with an average of 10 hours spent per week gaming. About 72% of Pennsylvania gamers play video games at least once weekly, but only 34% play video games daily. Only 22% of Pennsylvania gamers have canceled social plans to play video games. Also, about 66% of Pennsylvania gamers have sacrificed sleep to play video games longer and 30% of Pennsylvania gamers have skipped a meal.
video-game-screen-time-statistics.png

gamer-behavior-research.png

So 42% of US gamers play on mobile, 39% on console, ad only 26% on PC.
Men generally play games on consoles 78% of the time. But it seems 69% Women gamers are mostly playing on mobile.

Florida, West Virginia, Ohio, New York, and Michigan seem to game on consoles the most. Only Michigan has some desire for mobile games as well. Only Florida and West Virginia have overlap between console and PC.

Florida is number one for games playing on Console and PC, Arizona is the number one state for gamers who play on mobile.

<>
video-game-playing-statistics-2022-2.png

72% would give up sleep to play games, 40% food, and 32% social plans. but 28% of games would lie about their game time. That seems odd to me as there's not much stigmatism as their used to be. I guess this is for dating i suppose? not really seeing the various situations where you would lie about your gaming in 2022 unless you're playing 100 hours or more a week, and it's NOT your source of income.

45% have played during work hours, I can see that, sneak your phone or Vita in the bathroom to play a few minutes. Seems fiarly common. Or when there's no customers for better paying jobs and you're sitting around bored may as well play a little something.

Interestingly, we found men are willing to make more sacrifices for game time than women. They are more likely than women to:

• Skimp on sleep: 78% vs. 67%
  • Skip a meal: 49% vs. 33%
  • Cancel plans: 38% vs. 27%
  • Lie about game time: 33% vs. 24%
If you want to get in on the action, your phone or computer is a great place to start. You can find plenty of fun games you can play online—check out our game guides to make the most of your time.

Methodology: We conducted a survey among 2,130 Americans from July 1–6, 2022. We analyzed responses from 39 of 50 states; 11 states were excluded from the state-by-state analysis due to low sample size. 45% of respondents identified as male, 54% female, and 1% nonbinary/prefer not to say.

While Women seem to sacrifice less for gaming than men, they are still surprisingly high in percentages. 67% of women skipping sleep, 33% skipping food, 27% canceling social plans, those are still pretty high even if they aren't as high as the men.

If anything it seems like Mobile is the dominate gaming platform, especially for women, while consoles aren't too far away but are dominated by men. Turns out PC is somewhat more niche than the other two. No gender split for that one though but I figure it's probably 90% or more men if 69% of women are on mobile.

The demographics of the survey "identify" the following, 45% of respondents were make, 54% were female.

Last edited:
Eddie-Griffin Eddie-Griffin I'm surprised the minimum average is 10 hours. Thought it'd be less!

I wonder if the average is median or mean. Assuming it's mean, so you probably have some NEETs pulling that number up. That got me thinking, so I bumped this list up against the average unemployment rates by state and...absolutely no correlation lol

If anything, there's a horseshoe trend where the states with the highest unemployment rates are playing both the least and most hours per week. I am going to irresponsibly extrapolate and say that that means that people either 1) are too busy looking for work to play or 2) are coping with joblessness by playing much more lol

Interesting to see the average hours follows a standard distribution in terms of number of states, I guess?

Avg Weekly Gaming HoursAvg Unemployment RateAverage IncomeState Count
107.2$60,1042
118.4$65,7012
126.7$58,6165
136.3$62,1907
146.9$57,9619
157.6$59,7857
167.4$68,2773
177.8$57,2363
n/a6.5$64,08213

Last edited:
Can we at least limit this guys fucking threads?….it is seriously making the forums look bad. Between the Matt Booty BS split into 10 threads from one interview, to nonsense with random, who gives a shit, made up numbers by a random website…it is seriously bloating the gaming forum with nonsense. It seriously needs to stop.

jaysius

Banned
We’ll PA does have the Amish, I can imagine it’s hard to power a PS5 with a butter churn.
weird al yankovic GIF

Last edited:
Lol @ mobile being considered real gaming. Skews the actual numbers.

Console gaming has a nobility to it, the peasants playing "games" on their phones are fakes who cannot comprehend the level of graphics, story and gameplay on a true gaming system.

Perhaps we could even call them shallow gamers who demean the existence of gaming itself.

yurinka

Why is there this gender disparity between Console and Phone?
According to previous studies because there is a substantial difference in gaming tastes depending on gender regarding game genre and platform to play. Similar to other mediums like movies, tv shows or magazines where there are also big gender differences for several genres.

Sports, racing, action or fighting games have mostly male audience. Match 3 puzzles, more narrative driven games or those about taking care or people or stuff (like Sims or Animal Crossing) are genres more prefered by female. If you look at cinema or tv happens something similar: action movies, sport or racing is also prefered by mostly men, where genres like romantic comedy, celebrities stuff or drama is more prefered by female.

Regarding platforms mobile doesn't require to specifically buy a gaming machine, it's more private and more useful to play short matches everywhere plus have more games some some of the prefered genres by females. Instead the main games of the genres more prefered by men are mainly in console.

Last edited:
Makes a lot of sense. People in Ohio and Michigan go to work, root for the Buckeyes/Wolverines in-between their phone sessions. OHIO STATE RULESS, WHOOOOOO!!!

PA resident here, and this to me is odd. We had towns with 4 gamestops (2 of which across the street from each other) and was crazy busy during thr ps2 to ps360 Gen, into ps4.

Pc gaming has always been niche but it got real popular in 2000 with quake 3 and then again in the last few years.

Did PA people like me not respond to this "survey"?

PA resident here, and this to me is odd. We had towns with 4 gamestops (2 of which across the street from each other) and was crazy busy during thr ps2 to ps360 Gen, into ps4.

Pc gaming has always been niche but it got real popular in 2000 with quake 3 and then again in the last few years.

You're talking about consoles from 15-20 years ago for a modern gaming survey lol.

Beardsalt

Fellow Pennsylvanian here; and to answer your question, no!

We Pennsylvanians are too busy working 2-3 jobs trying to play the game of life. On our spare time, we Spend our spare time with the secks!
💪🏽🔥💯😎

DaGwaphics

17 hours a week!? Who are these madmen?

It doesn't seem like that much really. Most of the community here probably matches or beats that number, truth be told. If it was like 30 or 40hrs a week or something ridiculous like that it would seem crazy.

Top Bottom