• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Penny Arcade 11/30/2007 Jeff Gerstmann fired from Gamespot, allegedly for K&L review

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightowl

ParticleReality said:
No. This banning thing is still getting fucking stupid. Didn't penny arcade have a Hellgate ad up on their site even when they claimed they only let GOOD games get ad space on their sites? We should ban them too.

Why stop here? Every gaming site ever should be banned, you can't trust them at all. Sure 1up went down there and did their little protest and that made them look cool for doing it. But do you honestly think they don't give a little love to the Game Publishers that buy assloads of ads for their site?
Did PA fire someone that I'm not aware of?

Did someone fire FruitF*cker????? someone link the petition!

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
No. This banning thing is still getting fucking stupid. Didn't penny arcade have a Hellgate ad up on their site even when they claimed they only let GOOD games get ad space on their sites? We should ban them too.

Did they ever say they DIDN'T like it?

Game has a lot of problems, but I'll admit that I really do enjoy Hellgate.

Son of Godzilla said:
I just watched the K&L video review and honestly? I can understand why someone would be fired over that, especially if he'd been talked to about his demeanor before. It is excessively negative. It's one thing to be uninterested in a game, but he seemed uninterested in doing the review. In this age where these people are as much personalities as reviewers, I don't see how saccing someone for not maintaining one is such a crime, especially if he's been approached about it before.

Sigh.

cabel

ParticleReality said:
Didn't penny arcade have a Hellgate ad up on their site even when they claimed they only let GOOD games get ad space on their sites? We should ban them too.

So you do, in fact, need this bullet-pointed out for you.

If Penny Arcade had an ad for Hellgate, then ran a comic totally ripping on Hellgate, then pulled the comic and fired themselves because EA forced them to without any room for debate, and Penny Arcade shut down as a result, then yeah, I'd say ban EA. Keep up?

Seriously, just admit you obviously don't fully understand the situation or why it matters -- it'll make you look way cooler in the long run than sitting there pressing your garbage keys while wearing your failure coat.

Son of Godzilla said:
PA wrote that off by saying they greenlight ads well in advance and only demand playable copies of the game indicate something worthwhile. It's not like they can know beforehand how fucking much they will dick up the servers and other similar stuff.

Hmm.

nightowl said:
Did PA fire someone that I'm not aware of?

No. That's not the point. Jeff gave a shitty review thats almost on the level of a joke site reviewing it. The game wasn't AAA, we get that but it seemed he was acting like an asshole on purpose to see what the reaction was.

Nobody here really cares Jeff Gerstman got fired. All anyone cares about is the fact that the K&L review may have been the straw that finally broke the camels back and got him fired.

Were all going to forget about this after awhile and we'll return to "lol Jeffs fat lol" and "WHAT?!!? ZELDA TP A 8.8!!" like nothing ever happened.

cabel said:
Seriously, just admit you obviously don't fully understand the situation or why it matters -- it'll make you look way cooler in the long run than sitting there pressing your garbage keys while wearing your failure coat.

None of us do. Only Cnet and Jeff know exactly what happened. We don't know if K&L was the only thing that got him fired or part of a series of shit that got him fired. Anytime anyone like Eidos or Cnet comes out and says Hey guys, thats not what happened you guys shrug it off as "lol likely story" and continue to make half assed guesses.

Ben Sones

Son of Godzilla said:
I just watched the K&L video review and honestly? I can understand why someone would be fired over that, especially if he'd been talked to about his demeanor before. It is excessively negative.

That's a clear break from the normal Gamespot policy of keeping all reviews carefully noncommittal.

I mean, seriously. Is that how bad it's gotten in game review land? People are offended because a critic has a strong opinion?

Son of Godzilla said:
I just watched the K&L video review and honestly? I can understand why someone would be fired over that, especially if he'd been talked to about his demeanor before. It is excessively negative. It's one thing to be uninterested in a game, but he seemed uninterested in doing the review. In this age where these people are as much personalities as reviewers, I don't see how saccing someone for not maintaining one is such a crime, especially if he's been approached about it before.
Please, please, please tell me this is sarcasm.

Firestorm

PkunkFury said:
yes, but this is first hand information. Up until now everything has been from "sources" and "insiders" that aren't willing to divulge their identity. Up until this point, the whole 70 page thread has been fueled by misinformation

At least the first post sounded like sarcasm.

Son of Godzilla said:

PA wrote that off by saying they greenlight ads well in advance and only demand playable copies of the game indicate something worthwhile. It's not like they can know beforehand how fucking much they will dick up the servers and other similar stuff.
I fail to see how it's any different from GS other reviews of games of similar quality. He addressed problems and gave somethings that were good as well. Killzone didn't get off easy when it was reviewed but Sony didn't pull ads from the site, nor did anyone get fired.

ParticleReality said:
Hmm.

No. That's not the point. Jeff gave a shitty review thats almost on the level of a joke site reviewing it. The game wasn't AAA, we get that but it seemed he was acting like an asshole on purpose to see what the reaction was.

Nobody here really cares Jeff Gerstman got fired. All anyone cares about is the fact that the K&L review may have been the straw that finally broke the camels back and got him fired.
You have to be joking too!

Tell me exactly where and when he's acting like an asshole in the review. Give me the times so I can take a look.

I'd like to see how this, in any way, can get this man fired.

Seriously... how can that review get anyone fired? His stature and attitude was of disapointment at the game, not being overly sarcastic, or being an asshole. Especially not because of some sort of "non-personality" issue as Son of Godzilla said. That's fucking retarded.

nestea

ParticleReality said:

Were all going to forget about this after awhile and we'll return to "lol Jeffs fat lol" and "WHAT?!!? ZELDA TP A 8.8!!" like nothing ever happened.

None of us do. Only Cnet and Jeff know exactly what happened. We don't know if K&L was the only thing that got him fired or part of a series of shit that got him fired. Anytime anyone like Eidos or Cnet comes out and says Hey guys, thats not what happened you guys shrug it off as "lol likely story" and continue to make half assed guesses.

Other than Eidos, did anyone care about the video review before they took it down? Did anyone make a fuss about the video before? It sounds more like people who generally just dislike Jeff(judging by your comments you are one of them) are agreeing with Cnet simply to spite him.

This isn't just an issue of Jeff Gerstmann getting abruptly fired. This is an issue of Cnet misusing their readers trust in order to keep positive relations with their advertisers.

Maybe it's because my only exposure to GS's video stuff were their event broadcasts (Wii/PS3 arrivals, Halo 3 beta, E3) but non-personality is a pretty damn good way to Jeff in everything I've seen him do. He never seemed to have any interest whatsoever in anything, which just made watching him sooooo fun. So yea, maybe a little biased, but if I were GS/Cnet looking to make my content come anywhere near the level of my rivals then getting rid of Jeff is definently on the list.

nestea said:
Other than Eidos, did anyone care about the video review before they took it down? Did anyone make a fuss about the video before?

I saw it day of the firing. I'm not really a gamespot kind of guy nor do I really care that much about reviews. When I saw it I thought it was in bad taste from the get-go. I didn't say anyting because I hoped common sense would kick in and we'd stop assuming shit based on insiders which may not be real at all.

It sounds more like people who generally just dislike Jeff(judging by your comments you are one of them) are agreeing with Cnet simply to spite him.

What? I like Jeff I talk to him sometimes on the myspace, hes actually a pretty cool dude. He just made a poor choice in the way he did his video review and until I learn why they fired him exactly it seems like a just action.

This isn't just an issue of Jeff Gerstmann getting abruptly fired.

Of course. Nobody cares about the person involved. It could of been a shitty intern working there for a day and everything would be banned based on assuming shit.

This is an issue of Cnet misusing their readers trust in order to keep positive relations with their advertisers.

I wouldn't want to lose thousands of dollars because of a poorly done video review. Basically all he did was say the game was pure shit with more words. I bet he would of given the game a 2.0 if he could of gotten away with it.

mosaic

go eat paint
I've been asked to be a little less forthcoming with info, and I'm going to respect that request. Making any of the GameSpot editors' uncomfortable or stepping on their toes was never my intention. Being a freelancer, I've signed no agreements about what I can or can't say--but I'm not going to be some de facto whistle blower if it means hurting any of the innocent staffers.

And they ARE innocent. I implore people to keep in mind, that the CURRENT editorial staff of GameSpot are the most honest, upstanding, and public-serving people I've ever had the pleasure to know and work for. I have been taken to task on a few occasions for mistakes I have made, all unfortunate factual errors, but never for giving a popular game a low score (except Shenmue, but to be fair, everyone involved in that debacle is LONG gone. It was SEVEN years ago!).

As for the future, well... even if they don't get pressured to cut me loose because I've made a few posts here, I personally cannot write for a site that, for whatever reasons, wants to bring its review scores and tone more in line with the Metacritics/GameRankings medians, and is willing to pressure its writers to nudge in that direction. The point of an average is that there are highs, lows, and in-betweens. If every publication strives to be in the middle, then there's no point in having multiple publications anymore. Wasn't one of GameSpot's BEST aspects that it was tougher on games?

From what I've found out, that's the direction the execs want to take GameSpot in. I hope they back off from that aim. I hope they release a statement, do the right thing, and realize what the site's users truly want. But, let's face it, they probably won't. The execs get their advice from Wu Tang Financial: dolla dolla bill y'all.

I still have hope, though. A small glimmer.

In any case, I received emails today from two major pubs that said they'd pick me up if CNet no longers wants my services (or I no longer want to provide my services to them). I am sad that my love for GameSpot has been shaken. I FEAR CHANGE. I HATE CHANGE. But, that which does not kill me makes me stronger. And I have some integrity. I need to be able to "call it like I see it."

So, yeah... mum's the word.

Edited to add: Regardless of what goes down, I still have to finish the slate of games I've already committed to review for GameSpot. So, don't be surprised to see my name continue to crop up for a bit.

PkunkFury

mosaic said:
In any case, I received emails today from two major pubs that said they'd pick me up if CNet no longers wants my services (or I no longer want to provide my services to them). I am sad that my love for GameSpot has been shaken. I FEAR CHANGE. I HATE CHANGE. But, that which does not kill me makes me stronger. And I have some integrity. I need to be able to "call it like I see it."

It's alright. Your departure doesn't affect GameSpot's core mission anyway

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
mosaic said:
I've been asked to be a little less forthcoming with info, and I'm going to respect that request. Making any of the GameSpot editors' uncomfortable or stepping on their toes was never my intention. Being a freelancer, I've signed no agreements about what I can or can't say--but I'm not going to be some de facto whistle blower if it means hurting any of the innocent staffers.

And they ARE innocent. I implore people to keep in mind, that the CURRENT editorial staff of GameSpot are the most honest, upstanding, and public-serving people I've ever had the pleasure to know and work for. I have been taken to task on a few occasions for mistakes I have made, all unfortunate factual errors, but never for giving a popular game a low score (except Shenmue, but to be fair, everyone involved in that debacle is LONG gone. It was SEVEN years ago!).

As for the future, well... even if they don't get pressured to cut me loose because I've made a few posts here, I personally cannot write for a site that, for whatever reasons, wants to bring its review scores and tone more in line with the Metacritics/GameRankings medians, and is willing to pressure its writers to nudge in that direction. The point of an average is that there are highs, lows, and in-betweens. If every publication strives to be in the middle, then there's no point in having multiple publications anymore. Wasn't one of GameSpot's BEST aspects that it was tougher on games?

From what I've found out, that's the direction the execs want to take GameSpot in. I hope they back off from that aim. I hope they release a statement, do the right thing, and realize what the site's users truly want. But, let's face it, they probably won't. The execs get their advice from Wu Tang Financial: dolla dolla bill y'all.

I still have hope, though. A small glimmer.

So, yeah... mum's the word.

:(

Thanks for your insight into all of this and I hope you didn't jeopardize any relationships in the process. Good luck in your new ventures.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
I just watched the K&L video review and honestly? I can understand why someone would be fired over that, especially if he'd been talked to about his demeanor before. It is excessively negative.

That's OKAY.

The game fucking SUCKS.

ParticleReality said:
I saw it day of the firing. I'm not really a gamespot kind of guy nor do I really care that much about reviews. When I saw it I thought it was in bad taste from the get-go. I didn't say anyting because I hoped common sense would kick in and we'd stop assuming shit based on insiders which may not be real at all.
I guess he should have opened the video up with the demeanor of a local Chevorlet dealership commercial?

ParticleReality said:
I wouldn't want to lose thousands of dollars because of a poorly done video review. Basically all he did was say the game was pure shit with more words. I bet he would of given the game a 2.0 if he could of gotten away with it.
The game, in his opinion (which is what reviews are), was bad. Like I said, should he have turned up the giddy factor for a game he didn't think was good?

Either way, he pointed out the good and bad aspects of the game... more bad than good but that's reflected in his attitude in the video and the review score.

omg rite said:
That's OKAY.

The game fucking SUCKS.

No it doesn't. It's a game made to remind you of Gritty Hollywood crime movies and it does that well. Every level seems to get more badass as you play the game. Sure, the lines aren't that great and the cover system is meh but I'm playing for the action and the action is good.

nestea

ParticleReality said:

Does anything in the video review not line up to the score it was given? At the end up the video review Jeff summed it up by saying that the game has an interesting multiplayer that you should check out, just not at full price. Doesn't sound like he was calling it pure shit at all.

"6.0-6.5: Fair Games that earn 6-range ratings have certain good qualities but significant problems as well. These games may well be worth playing, but you should approach them with caution."

What? I like Jeff I talk to him sometimes on the myspace, hes actually a pretty cool dude. He just made a poor choice in the way he did his video review and until I learn why they fired him exactly it seems like a just action.

I said you seemed like one of those people, sorry if I prejudged you.

Of course. Nobody cares about the person involved. It could of been a shitty intern working there for a day and everything would be banned based on assuming shit.

If any of the reviewers at the site was fired due to pressure from advertisers I would call foul. Like I said, this isn't solely an issue of Jeff Gerstmann, but rather an issue of upper management taking advantage of the site's readers.

nightowl

mosaic said:
Sorry to hear it but completely understandable...

mosaic said:
Wasn't one of GameSpot's BEST aspects that it was tougher on games?
It was in my book...

mosaic said:
From what I've found out, that's the direction the execs want to take GameSpot in.
All of those "This is overblown, this won't last, there's nothing wrong going on" people...make sure you ignore that line. Hearing this from someone directly might convince you of something you've publically rediculed. How embarassing for you.

mosaic said:
The execs get their advice from Wu Tang Financial: dolla dolla bill y'all.
...So, yeah... mum's the word
Glad to hear you're diversifying your bonds....Protect your GD Neck! Aight!

ZeoVGM

Banned
ParticleReality said:
No it doesn't. It's a game made to remind you of Gritty Hollywood crime movies and it does that well. Every level seems to get more badass as you play the game. Sure, the lines aren't that great and the cover system is meh but I'm playing for the action and the action is good.

No. The game sucks. It's boring, and VERY FUCKING REPETATIVE.

I don't give a crap if it gets the mood down. It's not FUN.

duffey

ParticleReality said:
Define "well." Broken cover mechanics, AI that tells you to fuck off if you give them too many orders and even when you order them it's still not so great, the gun play being horrifically inaccurate, etc. The game clearly needs more work and Jeff was right. A 6 is kinda too high in my opinion.

nightowl

ParticleReality said:
I wouldn't want to lose thousands of dollars because of a poorly done video review.

We get that Eidos had a reason not to like the review. Got it, crystal clear. But you know what? Tough sh*t. It wasn't his JOB for them to either like nor profit from his review.

And if you are in that crowd that says "Eidos is getting a bad break, they aren't bad, cut them some slack"...consider http://www.gamebump.com/go/official_Xane_and_Xynch_website_lies_about_its_scores (Change X's in above link to K and L)

57n3c29awk8lm5bq8rbibj8g.gif

Also...http://kotaku.com/gaming/eidos/did-we-give-****--*****-5-stars-329539.php

This was a company that was participating in some very bad practices already with regards to their marketing of this game. They weren't just being fast and loose with the ethics, they were throwing them right out apparently. That they had to do so along with the rather UNIVERSAL reviews that say this game is is somewhere in the 6 category....lets not paint them as someone unjustly criticized.

While I agree that Jeff's termination issue is at CNet's feet, Eidos is the last people that should cry foul about anything. No wonder they aren't saying jack sh*t to anyone who has been asking them for a comment.

nestea

mosaic said:

Hey, at the very least everybody here now realize that when you write a review you give a damn about integrity.

mosaic

go eat paint
Gazunta said:
If Hotgames was still around I'd hire you on the spot, Mos. Good luck, buddy. Way to stick to your convictions.
Dude, I did some work for Hotgames, remember? You guys paid crap *grin* But the freedom to say anything I wanted did indeed rock.

Atlagev

Okay, I think I might have worked out more or less what happened. This is all speculation on my part, but it seems to gel with reports out of 1UP.com etc.

The important thing isn't the K&L review; that could just be an instance of bad timing. They were planning on letting him go before that.

As we all know, business decisions don't happen in a vacuum. With the hiring of Stephen Colvin to oversee GameSpot, which happened on October 25, 2007, Stephen is obviously in charge of the direction of GameSpot now. Couple this with having Josh Larson as Director, who apparently has had sales become a bigger part of the review process, and you basically have two guys who seem to want a "rebranding" of the site. Jeff Gerstmann didn't fit in with those plans.

Therefore, let's dissect the press release, and think about what kind of events would allow CNET to state the dismissal in this manner:

GameSpot said:
The past week marked the end of an era at GameSpot. After over a decade in a variety of editorial roles, Jeff Gerstmann's tenure as editorial director has ended.

All true.

GameSpot said:
"Jeff was a central figure in the creation and evolution of GameSpot, having written hundreds of previews and reviews, and anchoring much of our multimedia content," said Ricardo Torres, editorial director of previews and events. "The award-winning editorial team he leaves behind wish him nothing but good luck in his future endeavors."

Again, all true.

GameSpot said:
Due to legal constraints and the company policy of GameSpot parent CNET Networks, details of Gerstmann's departure cannot be disclosed publicly. However, contrary to widespread and unproven reports, his exit was not a result of pressure from an advertiser.

Indeed, it was not pressure from Eidos that led to his departure. Stephen Colvin and Josh Larson wanted him out. He doesn't fit what they want as the Editorial Director of Reviews at GameSpot.

GameSpot said:
"Neither CNET Networks nor GameSpot has ever allowed its advertising business to affect its editorial content," said Greg Brannan, CNET Networks Entertainment's vice president of programming. "The accusations in the media that it has done so are unsubstantiated and untrue. Jeff's departure stemmed from internal reasons unrelated to any buyer of advertising on GameSpot."

The internal reasons being that Colvin/Larson, and perhaps others, simply didn't want him there anymore.

Therefore, if this hypothesis is correct, everything CNET is saying in this press release is true. Jeff wasn't let go due to pressure from an advertiser. He simply didn't fit what they wanted as the Editorial Director of Reviews at GameSpot. They either used this as an excuse to fire/lay him off, or, as I said earlier, had been planning on doing this, and it's simply a matter of bad timing. In addition, without Jeff as Editorial Director of Reviews, that leaves a huge hole. Who is replacing Jeff? Will Ricardo Torres take over all Editorial Director duties? Will the spot be left vacant? If it *is* filled, it will be a huge clue about the direction GameSpot is headed.

GameSpot said:
"Though he will be missed by his colleagues, Jeff's leaving does not affect GameSpot's core mission of delivering the most timely news, video content, in-depth previews, and unbiased reviews in games journalism," said Ryan MacDonald, executive producer of GameSpot Live. "GameSpot is an institution, and its code of ethics and duty to its users remains unchanged."

Only time will tell if this is true.

All I can say is that I can't trust that CNET is being entirely truthful when they won't even say why they fired him for, and why being kicked out of the building is the same as Jeff and GameSpot "going separate ways".

Although I don't like Gerstmann and I think he should have been fired a long time ago. It wasn't for this reason and because he is being fired for the wrong reason I am pissed and support gerstmann.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
again i'll just reiterate my sentiment that though gerstmann shouldn't have been fired, he didn't fit as well into the e.i.c. role as kasavin or someone who would demonstrate more professionalism in the day-to-day proceedings.

nestea

beelzebozo said:
again i'll just reiterate my sentiment that though gerstmann shouldn't have been fired, he didn't fit as well into the e.i.c. role as kasavin or someone who would demonstrate more professionalism in the day-to-day proceedings.

Gerstmann never replaced Kasavin, Josh Larson did.

perfectchaos007 said:
Although I don't like Gerstmann and I think he should have been fired a long time ago. It wasn't for this reason and because he is being fired for the wrong reason I am pissed and support gerstmann.
This was all a ploy by the Gerst to increase his marketability after what he knew was an inevitable shitcanning.

But WHY didn't they want him there?
Is this really a question? I don't know, maybe I'm just spoiled by Gametrailers reviews and have never really been exposed to the true bad side of video reviews, but I find something like this completely unwatchable. I just grabbed the very first review I saw of something that doesn't suck to pick that too.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
nestea said:
Gerstmann never replaced Kasavin, Josh Larson did.

ah, touche. jeff definitely seemed to step up into a figurehead role at gamespot after greg k. left, though, regardless of his official position

nestea

Son of Godzilla said:
This was all a ploy by the Gerst to increase his marketability after what he knew was an inevitable shitcanning.

Gerstmann truly is a master puppeteer. To think one man could create all these eyewitness reports, convince Cnet to keep quiet on the situation, hack and create editor's blog posts to help paint his fake picture and kill Frank Provo replacing him on these forums. Kinda begs the question, why would Cnet fire someone as skilled as Gerstmann?

Son of Godzilla said:
Those stars are just decoration for something to place under the quote. Did you think they were something else?
Okay now I know you're joking. I have no doubt that is the line the marketing team will use when their questioned on this but there's no doubt in my mind they put those there to intentionally mislead people who saw them. It's dishonest advertising and is just plain malicious.

nestea said:
Gerstmann truly is a master puppeteer. To think one man could create all these eyewitness reports, convince Cnet to keep quiet on the situation, hack and create editor's blog posts to help paint his fake picture and kill Frank Provo replacing him on these forums. Kinda begs the question, why would Cnet fire someone as skilled as Gerstmann?

You forgot killing Gabe and Tycho, taking the time to learn how to draw like Gabe, and make the comic that broke this all.

nestea

beelzebozo said:
ah, touche. jeff definitely seemed to step up into a figurehead role at gamespot after greg k. left, though, regardless of his official position

Somebody had to I guess, it isn't like the guy who replaced Greg had much experience in journalism or video games.

tenv0lt

Has anyone considered organizing a boycott of Gamespot's advertisers? I know this has worked in effecting change at certain media outlets before...CBS radio stations a couple of years ago come to mind, for some reason...If we could get a bunch of people to sign off on a boycott of these advertisers, and then contact the appropriate people at these advertisers, I'm sure we could do a lot more damage than simply cancelling Gamespot subscriptions, etc.

Nicktals

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Is this really a question? I don't know, maybe I'm just spoiled by Gametrailers reviews and have never really been exposed to the true bad side of video reviews, but I find something like this completely unwatchable. I just grabbed the very first review I saw of something that doesn't suck to pick that too.

Gametrailers does have some of the best video reviews, but what you linked to is no worse than any other gamespot video review (unless you're talking about his negative tone, in which case it's worse than most others).

EDIT: sorry, i assumed that was a link the **** and ***** review...I'm not sure if my previous statement is still accurate, but I don't feel like watching a River City Ransom review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom