• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People accidentally buy stuff on PS4; Sony does not offer refunds

No, I don't want a retina scan, how did you get that impression? A password confirmation by default, where you have the option to not be asked ever again. I'd like to see this as the default option.

Makes no difference since people can still accidentally purchase off the store after toggling it off.

People just need to be smarter.

Sasukekun

Neo Member
No, but if it's already turned on and the controller is in use by PS4, plugging it into a PS3 will continue to send inputs to PS4 in addition to sending it through the cable. Just did it, it works. PS4 was in the DM, PS3 was running Beyond at the time.

Then it's user error for having his PS4 on. It downloads in standby, there was no need to have it on.

Although, it would be in Sony's interest to refund these and remove the digital licences. Good consumer relations is what got them to 6 million consoles earlier than they predicted.

So... you take a DS4 that is currently synced with a PS4 while the PS4 is on, and plug it into a PS3?

Who on earth thinks that is a good idea?

People who didn't think it was possible for the controller to send inputs to two devices at once? I certainly wouldn't have thought that.

Aretak

That's hilarious. Can totally understand Sony not refunding too, although I suspect if the people involved kick up a big enough stink about it, they probably will as a PR exercise. Not sure why you'd want to advertise your own stupidity so widely though.

Taker34

Banned
You should be banned for that stupid shitty threadtitle. What a joke.

13142042522eesac.jpg

Saty

It's Sony's fault for not safeguarding these types of happenings by setting the default option of the console to ask for a password when buying stuff from the store.

You make an UI that allows you to checkout with few same-button single presses; you make a console that is designed and promoted to be kept 'on' even when you're not using it - then you absolutely need to enforce a barrier as the default, out of the box, option.

jimi_dini

The DS4 works on the PS3 via USB cable connection. The bluetooth is PS4 only. It was mentioned earlier in the topic. Maybe you should read first before you bash Nintendo's competitors.

So why does the DS4 send out wireless commands, when it's fucking connected to a console and can send and is actually sending controller input via cable? It makes no sense. Let's assume it's connected via cable to the same PS4. So the PS4 gets inputs from wireless and cable. Why? It can't take both into account.

It's a design flaw. I guess you could also control 2 PS4s because of this at the same time. Which again makes no sense at all.

So... you take a DS4 that is currently synced with a PS4 while the PS4 is on, and plug it into a PS3?

See the problem with this and many other posts in this thread is that that's a really fucking easy thing to say with the benefit of hindsight, and I imagine that a whole load of people posting it just wouldn't have even entertained the idea that this could happen the same as this guy didn't. Some would, sure, but it's one of those things which is so ridiculous that it simply wouldn't occur to you before it happened.

Madness

It would be in Sony's best interests to make these customers happy.

No it wouldn't. It would be in their best interests to say while they understand the inconvenience, they can't acquiesce to their demands of refunds. Sony has no way of knowing your purchases were legitimate or not. This is just one of those live and learn type situations.

I honestly don't know how someone would even expect Sony to refund them.

This. Its not even their fault. Refunds don't work like that lol.

It is weird that its controlling the PS4 as well. If theres proof then you can say Sony messed up and demand a refund although did they not say not use DS4 for the PS3?

Stuff like this is one reason to never link your credit cards to a service where purchases can easily be made.

Anyway people are using a DS4 for a PS3, they should be savvy enough to check for these kind of things.

stevil

I'm just saying its not a good way to gauge whether a refund should be given or not.

It is better than nothing. And it is not arbitrary. I can understand Sony not giving a refund if you played the game. No way of knowing if it is per accident or not...

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I'll never understand not turning on password protection for purchases. It's like leaving your bank account unlocked on your laptop or something. Seems insane to me.

Joni

So why does the DS4 send out wireless commands, when it's fucking connected to a console and can send and is actually sending controller input via cable? It makes no sense.
Because it was sending out wireless signals to a console that never turned off.

Sasukekun

Neo Member

Come to think of it, why wouldn't you turn the controller off via the PS4 if you were going to leave the machine on while it downloads stuff?

2 bonehead moves here

1) Leaving the PS4 on to download
2) Not turning the controller off on the PS4

Socreges

Banned
Then it's user error for having his PS4 on. It downloads in standby, there was no need to have it on.

Although, it would be in Sony's interest to refund these and remove the digital licences. Good consumer relations is what got them to 6 million consoles earlier than they predicted.
How is that an error? That was the intention! If Sony is going to advocate using the DS4 with the PS3, they absolutely must inform consumers that the two devices can be controlled simultaneously. Unfortunately they obviously didn't realize that could happen.

People who didn't think it was possible for the controller to send inputs to two devices at once? I certainly wouldn't have thought that.
And apparently people at Sony still don't believe it's possible.

Rocky

Banned
So why does the DS4 send out wireless commands, when it's fucking connected to a console and can send and is actually sending controller input via cable? It makes no sense.

It's a design flaw. I guess you could also control 2 PS4s because of this at the same time. Which again makes no sense at all.

No you can't. Like the Wii/WiiU, once a DS4 is coupled with a PS4, it will only control that PS4.

BigDug13

There's no reason to disconnect your PS4 power cord. Just don't ever press the PS button on the DS4. It serves no function anyway. Connect DS4 to PS3 via USB. Make sure PS4 is turned off, play your game.

In fact, as soon as your DS4 is plugged in via USB, it is no longer possible to turn your PS4 on using the controller. So the OP must have already had his PS4 on, then plugged that DS4 into his PS3. That's just dumb.

I just tried it. PS4 is off. DS4 gets plugged in to PS3. PS button is now disabled and is unable to power on the PS4. Why is that so difficult?

Mistaken purchases aren't exactly a valid revenue stream, so Sony should give the refunds. I guess it's these captive marketplaces that make companies forget about good will gestures.

jimi_dini

Because it was sending out wireless signals to a console that never turned off.

When it's connected to PS4 via cable. Why in the hell does it send out commands using wireless as well. The PS4 can't take both into account. Which means one of those will get ignored in any case, which means one of those isn't needed and shouldn't have been sent out in the first place.

I wonder if DS3 has the same flaw. Can't test it because I don't own 2 PS3s.

No you can't. Like the Wii/WiiU, once a DS4 is coupled with a PS4, it will only control that PS4.

This thread actually shows that this is not the case. DS4 seems to sent out inputs via wireless and cable at the same time. And Sony never thought of the possibility that wireless could go to another console and not the same console that the controller is connected to via cable.

I definitely do not see this as a user fault. It's like having a wireless keyboard, which also supports USB. And when you connect it via USB, it will still send out commands via wireless at the same time - which may be another computer altogether. It simply doesn't make any sense to do it like this.

Lothars

Whelp..... I'm inclined to say that Sony is responsible then. And at a minimum they need to have this fixed immediately.
I disagree they say it can be used but the users that it purchased for should be responsible.

If anything they should require a password on checkout which is an optional thing but that is also the user responsibility.

Dynedom

There's no reason to disconnect your PS4 power cord. Just don't ever press the PS button on the DS4. It serves no function anyway. Connect DS4 to PS3 via USB. Make sure PS4 is turned off, play your game.

In fact, as soon as your DS4 is plugged in via USB, it is no longer possible to turn your PS4 on using the controller. So the OP must have already had his PS4 on, then plugged that DS4 into his PS3. That's just dumb.

I just tried it. PS4 is off. DS4 gets plugged in to PS3. PS button is now disabled and is unable to power on the PS4. Why is that so difficult?

OP mentioned one user had his PS4 on downloading updates and then proceeded to connect to his PS3 and play. He didn't turn ON the PS4 while connected to the PS3.

Personal responsibility is at an all-time low, it seems.

This is pretty clearly a user fuckup. At least know which of your consoles is on at any given moment.

Joni

When it's connected to PS4 via cable. Why in the hell does it send out commands using wireless as well. The PS4 can't take both into account. Which means one of those will get ignored in any case, which means one of those isn't needed and shouldn't have been sent out in the first place..
That is assuming the DualShock 4 is even sending wired signals to the PS4..

The PlayStation 3 controller can have the same flaw. I haven't tested if it sends button presses, but I know it can turn on two consoles at the same time.

BigDug13

The DS4 is NOT CAPABLE of turning on your PS4 while it is connected to your PS3. The only way to replicate what the OP experienced is to have your PS4 powered on prior to connecting that controller to your PS3. Why would you do that?

Grinchy

Banned
It might be interesting to try to play 2 different games (PS3 and PS4) at the same time and see which combinations of games have button inputs that go well together.

Yagharek

Mistaken purchases aren't exactly a valid revenue stream, so Sony should give the refunds. I guess it's these captive marketplaces that make companies forget about good will gestures.

Yep. But when people line up to justify it for them, can you really be surprised when refunds never happen?

Joni

This thread actually shows that this is not the case. DS4 seems to sent out inputs via wireless and cable at the same time. And Sony never thought of the possibility that wireless could go to another console and not the same console that the controller is connected to via cable.
It can only do so if you never turn off the first one.

The DS4 is NOT CAPABLE of turning on your PS4 while it is connected to your PS3. The only way to replicate what the OP experienced is to have your PS4 powered on prior to connecting that controller to your PS3. Why would you do that?
Gonna quote this for clarity.

Sophia

This is the big thing really. For the scenarios in the original post to happen the controller would have to be specifically paired up with the PS4 wirelessly before using it on the PS3. I'm actually kind of surprised the wired worked at all if the controller was already paired up wirelessly, to be honest....

Certainly has nothing to do with Dark Souls 2, at any rate.

Like he said, he was downloading updates, and it didn't occur to him that connecting via a wire to a PS3 would allow the controller to continue to send a signal to the PS4.

Silly in hindsight, sure, but a perfectly reasonable assumption at the time.

JP

It's a shame for the people who bought stuff they didn't want but there's nothing "broken" here. If you're using two consoles and you know the DS4 controls both of them then that's a choice you've made and you only have yourself to blame. If they had any concerns about controlling both they should have tested what would happen instead of assuming what would happen and then blaming somebody else because their assumption was wrong.

No issues with this at all and although Sony may offer refunds they don't have any obligation to do so.

jimi_dini

That is assuming the DualShock 4 is even sending wired signals to the PS4..

In this case it would be even worse. Because then Sony implemented USB support just for PS3 alone. They should have thought about this situation in any case. I mean what were they thinking. Maybe "customers will surely sell their PS3 immediately after getting a PS4"

The PlayStation 3 controller can have the same flaw. I haven't tested if it sends button presses, but I know it can turn on two consoles at the same time.

Someone in this thread owns 2 PS3s and could check this? Would be very interesting.

This is the big thing really. For the scenarios in the original post to happen the controller would have to be specifically paired up with the PS4 wirelessly before using it on the PS3.

Maybe, just maybe those customers bought a PS4 and wanted to use the DS4 for both PS3 + PS4. Which is even an advertised feature. Pair it with PS4 and connect it via USB for PS3, because PS3 will only support it that way. Makes sense to me.

Dynedom

This is the big thing really. For the scenarios in the original post to happen the controller would have to be specifically paired up with the PS4 wirelessly before using it on the PS3.

Certainly has nothing to do with Dark Souls 2, at any rate.

Which it was, in one case (and I'm sure many other cases).

Rocky

Banned
When it's connected to PS4 via cable. Why in the hell does it send out commands using wireless as well. The PS4 can't take both into account. Which means one of those will get ignored in any case, which means one of those isn't needed and shouldn't have been sent out in the first place.

I definitely do not see this as a user fault. It's like having a wireless keyboard, which also supports USB. And when you connect it via USB, it will still send out commands via wireless at the same time - which may be another computer altogether. It simply doesn't make any sense to do it like this.

When you connect it to a PS4 via USB, its still coupled only with that PS4 and would have to be coupled to another PS4 before it could control it. When you connect it to a PS3 via cable, its not "coupled", that's why it only has basic functions.

Someone in this thread owns 2 PS3s and could check this? Would be very interesting.

Holy shit. This isn't about controlling 2 PS3s or 2 PS4s with one controller, its two different consoles with the controller connected to each in a different way.

Lothars

Yep. But when people line up to justify it for them, can you really be surprised when refunds never happen?
I don't have a problem with most refunds but this is different, this is the users responsibiltiy to make sure the ps4 was off before using it on another system.

It's not Sony's responsibility to make sure that it's off, it would be different if this would allow it to turn the ps4 on when the ps3 is being used with the ds4.

It's definitely a funny situation, but I wonder how it is technically possible... the communication between the controller and a console is two-way, there should be some kind of identification on both ends when establishing the link, I suppose, unlike with IR remotes where you're just broadcasting commands for everything in the room to receive. How can the controller not "know" there are two consoles trying to talk to it, and more importantly how/why can it handle both ?

To get the DS4 to work on PS3 you need to have it plugged in with USB, now if you have turned on your PS4 and leave it on and then plug the DS4 into the PS3 you are now connected to the PS3 via USB and to the PS4 via bluetooth. I'm guessing that's how it controlled both at the same time.

Dantis

I don't have a problem with most refunds but this is different, this is the users responsibiltiy to make sure the ps4 was off before using it on another system.

It's not Sony's responsibility to make sure that it's off, it would be different if this would allow it to turn the ps4 on when the ps3 is being used with the ds4.

I mean, the PS4 doesn't even need to be off. He just needed to disconnect it from his PS4. It's like, four button presses.

Grassy

The first thing I would do if I was going to use my DS4 with my PS3 is make sure the PS4 is not on.

Common sense.

Joni

I'll go test it out
Edit: it couples almost immediately., so there is no way to achieve the same thing. So the problem lies in the fact the PS3 can't couple the PS4 controller.

Top Bottom