• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People are mad that Death Stranding could win 2019 GOTY Award

LokusAbriss

It wasn’t for me after 30 or so hours but I still think it deserves to be in with a shout?
Nice Avatar!

I dont know why DS became such a huge subject over the last months. The MGS games always felt more like niche products to me. I loved them, but I feel that most people dont know or care about them in general. I will be happy, when the mainstream jumps on the next big games in the coming months.

Terenty

Ds is nothing new or different.. it use the same mechanics like any other game. You walk a lot, you run you shoot. same old template.

Death Stranding has more interesting AI and systems at play during combat than a lot of pure action games.

Mules stumble and slip, wade through water, climb ladders, jump across crevices just like Sam. If you leave cargo on the ground they will come and take it with them. They dont automatically know your position if you raise alarm, so you can kill/knock out some enemies and hide from others. They wont stay and politely wait while you deal with them one by one, but attack you from all sides, they use sticky gun on you and use their spears to stop your vehicles. They will relentlessly pursue you on their territory.

During timefall they stay in their tents. Not always, but it happens

I was actually impressed by their behaviour in some places

Yeah, when you get proper weapons its quite easy to deal with them, but nevertheless the game provides better playground than a lot of games out there.

Bosses, except for Cliff are shit, i will give you that.

Last edited:

IamOnline4Real

owns Galaxy Brain. Still shrink wrapped.
Death Stranding has more interesting AI and systems at play during combat than a lot of pure action games.

Death Stranding is a good game, no doubt. But the AI ( Mules) during combat are too easy. A bola gun is all you need, after that, you go kick them in the nuts.
I mixed things up on purpose to give myself a challenge , otherwise it was too easy.

Still DS is a good game but not worthy of GOTY.

But, It would probably win the GOTY. Because there are too many Kojima's bb out there.

Last edited:

IamOnline4Real

owns Galaxy Brain. Still shrink wrapped.
Here they are

3ijkks.gif

😂

VertigoOA

Banned
As someone who adored MGS 1, 3 and 5.

Game fucking sucks. It’s like all the stupid nonsense from MGS2 and 4’s narrative and tossed into a game that’s not fun... ever.

I’d get a refund from psn if I could...

Last edited:

HelpYouFall

In no way, shape or form is this bloated mess of a narrative better than Sekiro anyways.
But it can win GOTY for all I care, dumber games than this have won those awards.

Plenty of people write it off because of the difficulty.

I agree, we call those people DEX fgts and casuls!

Last edited:

BadSector

Banned
Here the thing, your opinion isn't fact (nor anyone else's). Fuck I hate when someone says a game is objectively better than another (even if it's a game I really like). EVERYONE's opinion or review on a game is subjective and the quality of a game is subjective (unless it's some horribly broken). I couldn't even finish Astral Chain or Sekiro because I got bored with them, yet I played through BOTW like 4 times. And Days Gone is one of my favorite open world games this gen. I just started Death Stranding last night and I'm loving just like I did MGSV (which was my personal GOTY that year). Again all that is subjective and just my opinion and I wouldn't dare suggest that my opinion is fact because I'm not that arrogant. To put it simply, people like different shit (dunno why it's so hard to get that into people's head).
Okay, sorry. I used the wrong word here. objectively is maybe an exaggeration (that's why I put IMHO .at the end of the sentence.) You happy?

Now, still, there are some objective factors which make Death Stranding an excellent game (I gave it 8.6/10 which is a very high score from me), but not game of the year. Level design, AI behaviour and variety of gameplay are objective factors for example. The enemy AI was rather bad in the "war" sections for example, besides some serious enemy rush, I hardly had to do anything else, than spray bullets at them.

Combine this with the extremely linear level design of those parts and we have a rather average shooter here. Same for the fight against human: they were extremely stupid to begin with and hand-to-hand combat is a joke. (Non-killing weapons are creative and fun to use tho, just too easy to use them because of brain dead AI.)

I don't have to say, how gameplay variety is missing - if we think beyond the "try to walk and "survive" in the world outside " element which is indeed revolutionary.

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVE Death Standing, I really do, because of its revolutionary ideas, its artful, deep story (best story this year, and by far), ambience and graphics (just to name a few things) but the - kind of objective factors - can't be ignored. Funny you mentioned, Days Gone was a better game if we put those together gameplaywise, but the story was better in Death Stranding. But those are still "objective" values that we have to compare if we want to choose the best game this year.

I hope that you get my point with all that.

Now, the OVERALL judgement is still subjective - you are right on that - since when I have to give a final score, I may value the almost 10/10 story above the extremely repetitive (but still revolutionary and fun) gameplay, the weak AI, etc which are still there, but as an OVERALL impression, my judgement is of course subjective.

If Death Stranding were a movie, it would easily win the Oscar for this year as it's a work of art. But as a game, it have to compete against other excellent games.

Last edited:

Liftplus

Im happy that death stranding got nominated, it looks like the game needed a lot of work from the dev team so they deserve it.

Top Bottom