• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People are mad that Death Stranding could win 2019 GOTY Award

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
People are mad because the games as dull as dishwater and the only reason it’s even on there is because Geoff has a Kojima tattoo on his arse cheek.

Also because he’s in the game, and it’s really funny how the games best scores are all given by people they put in the game.

So before you even get to whether you think the games good or not (it’s not, but that’s subjective and I value you opinion, so blow me), it’s already VERY questionable that it should even be allowed.

It’s also pretty shit that some damn fine games were totally missed from the short list, games that have more point of being there.

Also if Sekiro doesn’t win, they can go fuck themselves.

But that’s just, like, my opinion, man...

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The same people that get mad about what wins GOTY awards are the same people that claim GOTY awards mean jack shit, which is of course, completely true.

Airbus Jr

Banned
People are mad because the games as dull as dishwater and the only reason it’s even on there is because Geoff has a Kojima tattoo on his arse cheek.

Also because he’s in the game, and it’s really funny how the games best scores are all given by people they put in the game.

So before you even get to whether you think the games good or not (it’s not, but that’s subjective and I value you opinion, so blow me), it’s already VERY questionable that it should even be allowed.

It’s also pretty shit that some damn fine games were totally missed from the short list, games that have more point of being there.

Its already explained in the video that Geoff have no say or power on this award as hes not appointed as a jury

You guys should really watch the video first before making early verdict

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Whether Death Stranding deserves the award or not is irrelevant when the producer and host of the show, not only is good friends with the producer but, appears as a character withing the game in question.

Both Geoff and the organization can claim that it has no bearing in the decision, but Keighley's tenure at GameTrailers makes that claim dubious at best.
Hell, the president of the company that owns Famitsu appears as a character in the game and Japanese gamers are calling into question the nice and shiny 40/40 score, made all the worse by the fact that he was a former editor in chief of the magazine.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Whether Death Stranding deserves the award or not is irrelevant when the producer and host of the show, not only is good friends with the producer but, appears as a character withing the game in question.

Both Geoff and the organization can claim that it has no bearing in the decision, but Keighley's tenure at GameTrailers makes that claim dubious at best.
Hell, the president of the company that owns Famitsu appears as a character in the game and Japanese gamers are calling into question the nice and shiny 40/40 score.

Its already explained in the video and im going to repeat it again

Geoff is not involved in this award as hes not choosen as a panelist

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Watch for the trailers, forget about the awards.

VGA lost all credibility a few years ago already.

Also, this.

Like game reviews, I stopped giving two shiny shits about what awards paid for award shows got years ago. Some of my fave games this gen (and others) were reviewed awfully and have low scores. Like wise, some of the best reviewed games I’ve found utterly dreadful.

It’s almost like people have different tastes or some shit... Weird...

KOMANI

KOMANI

Hell, the president of the company that owns Famitsu appears as a character in the game and Japanese gamers are calling into question the nice and shiny 40/40 score, made all the worse by the fact that he was a former editor in chief of the magazine.

I don’t think there’s any foul play on Geoff’s side of things, especially since he doesn’t vote (Famitsu does however), but it should be brought to people’s attention. Rich from ReviewTechUSA nails it.

Terenty

I detect high levels of DOOMs in this one

MadYarpen

I havent played it yet, probably I will... But it is annoynig that it seems impossible to judge whether people like the game or are licking Kojima's ass, whether the game genuinely has problem or someone is just hating kojima....

It's so messy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Bryank75

Banned
That stupid remake of Smash Bros Melee will win anyway!

I'd rather something original won than another Nintendo rehash...I own both, I have more Switches than PlayStations but that's just the way it is. I really think Outer Worlds or something like DMCV should have been there instead of Smash.
A much bigger issue than Death Stranding getting a nomination...... 93 meta... is insulting for smash. Nintendo really gets the soft touch from reviewers.

Fake

Geoff 'don't choise' the games who get the award.

And people say Sony fanboys are dumb...

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The problem is that awards are rubbish. I already played the title a bit, it's good, but in my opinion I am bothered by the fact that they buy the nomination because they put the guy in the game, I nominate him for his context.

These awards are as fake as the Oscars, it doesn't matter if Pixar launches the biggest crap in the world, he always wins the nominations.

Is this true? Wow if so!

Reviewers be like "I'm in the game man, look - there's me! 10 outta 10 for this game!"

Vawn

Banned
There hasn't been a ton of obvious GOTY winning candidates in 2019.

Sekiro is great, but it isn't for everyone. Plenty of people write it off because of the difficulty. RE2 is my personal GOTY, but many (ignorant) people don't want a remake to win GOTY.

Death Stranding if, of course, going to at least be in the discussion. Yeah, a lot of people don't like it, but a lot of people LOVE it.

Kadayi

Banned
Tbh it was a pretty lackluster year for games overall in the AAA space so I wouldn't be surprised if DS takes GOTY.

As others have already noted Geoff K doesn't have a vote in the actual results, however I think it was pretty short sighted of him to agree to the cameo he made in DS because it inherently undermined the credibility of the whole VGAs to many people as he is the public face to the organisation.

After the whole Doritos Pope Saga you'd have thought he'd have said to Kojima 'yeah thanks but no thanks' on that one versus jumping in feet first.

If he is smart he might get someone else to present the award if DS goes win.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned
Nothing to do with nominations or who wins. Yet coincidentally the game with the most nominees is the one he's in lol.

"I finance it, I sell it, I promote it, I book it, so it’s all, you know [sic], it’s kind of all me driving it—which is good and bad. But I’m sort of [sic] so passionate about it, mostly because I think it’s a really important thing to do." - Geoff

Doesn't really matter since all the show is good for is reveals. If this was an exclusive from another platform with the same scenario, the same fanboys fighting now would just switch roles lol.

scalman

its sad to say that , i liked MGS5 but never finished it , but now when i think of this i like death stranding even less, and i was so hoping for this game , i thought it will be lots stuff to do in mountains and lots options all over, but no its even more boring then MGS5 was, even more empty, and saving Merica gameplay doesnt help this at all it makes it worse.

SleepDoctor

Banned
its sad to say that , i liked MGS5 but never finished it , but now when i think of this i like death stranding even less, and i was so hoping for this game , i thought it will be lots stuff to do in mountains and lots options all over, but no its even more boring then MGS5 was, even more empty, and saving Merica gameplay doesnt help this at all it makes it worse.

Gameplay was solid on mgs 5 but the open world made it so bland and the same missions done over and over. I preferred the linear levels over that shit. Story has always been shit in mgs, but gameplay was king.

From the looks of it, the story in ds is just another mess but with the gameplay of mgs. Most overrated developer ever. Then he has a tantrum cuz his game wasn't critically well received everywhere and calls Americans stupid lol.

Guess he should have reserved a cast spot for every single reviewer.

Top Bottom