• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People are mad that Death Stranding could win 2019 GOTY Award

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Were there many contenders? I can only think of maybe two that would likely be close, but I haven't played Death Stranding or those other two.
my stance. if someone wants to make a case for a game being GOTY, go for it. thinking a game should be disqualified because it has a celebrity in it doesn't make any sense at all to me.

i dunno do people think Geoff is some grand master wizard of games or something? dude hosts an award show. it's not like he is going to be stuffing ballots, or he himself gets to choose what game wins, because he is hosting an awards show. that's not how that works. pretty silly concern IMO.

Last edited:

Fake

None of those was my game of the year in any of the respective years. None of these have any particularly strong connection to the organiser, producer and moderator of the award that I am aware of. If you can make me aware of any such strong connection, then I would agree that the respective game should not have been nominated, let alone won the VGA.
Serious dude, I recommend you quit gaming.

Mista

Banned
my stance. if someone wants to make a case for a game being GOTY, go for it. thinking a game should be disqualified because it has a celebrity in it doesn't make any sense at all to me.

i dunno do people think Geoff is some grand master wizard of games or something? dude hosts an award show. it's not like he is going to be stuffing ballots, or he himself gets to choose what game wins, because he is hosting an awards show. that's not how that works. pretty silly concern IMO.
And I guarantee you if it was a different scenario like Geoff is alright with Nintendo or Corey Barlog, non of this shiftiest would’ve happened. I also guarantee you he’ll get destroyed because neither God of War nor Breath of the Wild were among the nominees.

SleepDoctor

Banned
The Game Awards have always been a joke. But since its Kojimas game being nominated 10 times, all of a sudden its a legitimate award show lol.

The outrage at the reviews and now this make this shit hilarious. People cried because of an 83 metacritic like its fuckin bad.

Reviews and/or reviewers are always trash, bought, or whatever fucking conspiracy when they don't reflect said fanboys opinion.

Dorito Popes well documented fanboying, man crush, or whatever you wanna call it and being in the game mean absolutely nothing and definitely has no effect on the game being nominated 10 times said show that is owned, funded, hosted, and etc by the fanboy 🤣🤣🤣

Petrae

I’m not defending anything. It’s just funny how TGA is suddenly relevant this year when nobody gave a shit about the awards but only the announcements in the past years

The relevance comes from that weird relationship, though. Keighley’s object of affection, having been released from his Konami prison, made good and his game got released. It’s a good story, in and of itself... but the conflict of interest is hard to ignore when said game pops up in so many nominations.

It’s a lesson in perception that Keighley will have to learn the hard way, by dealing with the criticism.

Is it being overblown? Absolutely. I prefaced my initial argument in this thread with a warning about how irrelevant the “awards” in Keighley’s show are. Many more (legitimate) awards will be handed down in the next month, and it’s possible that Death Stranding grabs a bunch. But... admittedly, if Keighley believes his show to be legitimate, then discussions like this are warranted. Hopefully he learns something moving forward.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Make me wonder if Smash Bros win those people will change their opinion?
At least for me: No, why would it? I am not arguing about whether DS is the best game of the year*, I am arguing whether the game should even be up for consideration. If Smash Bros. wins, nothing changes about the fact that DS should not be nominated.

* I think it is not, but my taste is hardly mainstream taste. There hasn't been a single year where either Spike or VGA best game of the year was my personal game of the year. I can already tell you, neither will it be the case for 2019, because none of the nominated are my game of the year.

Saber

Gold Member
Its usually "game X is not a part of awards, then its trash" or "game X is part of awards, then its trash".

At least at the end of the show there will be some chaos. Gonna enjoy that tbh.

So 2018 God of War didn’t deserve it
In 2017 Breath of the Wild didn’t deserve it
In 2016 Overwatch didn’t deserve it and so on right?

Lol I love having a statement on one specifically mentioned game transposed on other games never actually mentioned xD. Not saying DS is a bad game, wouldn't claim those games are bad, either. But there was certainly more than "these are good games" factored into giving them GOTY, no conspiracy here.

Also I can't quite remember the other games released those years but I'm sure many would've rather Super Mario Odyssey take 2017. Same with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate over GoW4 in 2018. Those are iffy's though. This year? We already know RE2 Remake was a very strong contender and arguably more well-received than DS (shouldn't be the main factor, but it is one), plus just hitting its notes better.

There's a very strong base of people who'd very easily put something like RE2 Remake over Death Stranding, I don't see that a controversial opinion.

Dorito Popes well documented fanboying, man crush, or whatever you wanna call it and being in the game mean absolutely nothing and definitely has no effect on the game being nominated 10 times said show that is owned, funded, hosted, and etc by the fanboy 🤣🤣🤣

This as well. There's a clear conflict of interest going on here. Feels like a bit of nepotism at play, regardless of Death Stranding's actual merits as an accomplished video game.

...a game that isn't quite my cup of tea and has been mired with marketing and interviews I personally find indicative of troubling trends, but an accomplished game by its own standards nonetheless.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Lol I love having a statement on one specifically mentioned game transposed on other games never actually mentioned xD. Not saying DS is a bad game, wouldn't claim those games are bad, either. But there was certainly more than "these are good games" factored into giving them GOTY, no conspiracy here.

Also I can't quite remember the other games released those years but I'm sure many would've rather Super Mario Odyssey take 2017. Same with Super Smash Bros. Ultimate over GoW4 in 2018. Those are iffy's though. This year? We already know RE2 Remake was a very strong contender and arguably more well-received than DS (shouldn't be the main factor, but it is one), plus just hitting its notes better.

There's a very strong base of people who'd very easily put something like RE2 Remake over Death Stranding, I don't see that a controversial opinion.
I don’t find them controversial too but the way you phrased your statement made it sound like every year winner was based on over-hype...etc

Thats all mate I’m not fighting you in any way and if it came out that way then I apologies🤘🏼

It's a big, noteworthy release for this year. Makes sense to consider it IMO. I don't care about the game at all, but that's true for a large percentage of the nominated games.

I don’t find them controversial too but the way you phrased your statement made it sound like every year winner was based on over-hype...etc

Thats all mate I’m not fighting you in any way and if it came out that way then I apologies🤘🏼

Same, and apologies if it came off that way on my end. I'd like these shows to be a bit more neutral and keep the backstage politics out of the process but that probably will never happen.

Gamernyc78

Banned
holy fuck I just finished chapter 9
This game DESERVES to win that GOTY 100%
Geezus christ how is this game so fucking good and how did they make it in like 3 years..

This game was memed so fucking hard as a walking simulator and then u had idiotic reviewers like ign who gave it a 6.7 while complaining in his review about how much time it takes to fast travel while u barely need to use it in this game. I bet he did not even finish the game. And u had idiotic reviewers like jim sterling who have to use a clickbait title as ''made for walking'' while u can do so many missions with a bike or car. And god dam u also had stupid reviewers who kept complaining about it being tedious when u have to keep pressing both triggers to walk stable but u get so many shit like power skeletons to counter that.

Dam, this game was not reviewed by so many for what it actually is and many people either did not finish it or went in with so much hate.

Game with the best story in 2019
Best cutscenes and once u get passed the first 2 chapters u are not bombared with big long cutscenes constantly.
The performances from the actors are REALLY good
The music in this game is brilliant. Very wel chosen and there really are some breathtaking moments when music starts playing while on a long hike.
The bosses look insane, sure they are pretty easy but its not even their idea to have hard bosses but the visuals dam..
Amazing mechanics in the game like the way u can climb everything, descent with the ropes. Use ziplines, build ladders, bridges
A really unique great online component that really makes a difference

People need to shut up about this game not being GOTY worthy. most people who say it are either just hating cozz they think geof is rigging it
or they have not played it and only listened to reviewers who clearly had a hard time reviewing this game for what it is

You just made me want to get back into it lol.

“If they hate then let ‘em hate and watch the money pile up.” Mr. Fifty Cent

it’s not my GOTY, personally, but I’m still playing it in bits and pieces every day and enjoying my slow ride through it

im sure far worse games have been nominated

MiguelItUp

Honestly, I'm really hoping it wins. For me, it was an incredible experience from beginning to end. But like what has been said already, the whole GOTY thing is just silly and pointless anyway. You can love a game that never gets nominated or wins, but that doesn't change how you feel about it.

I've heard great things about Sekiro, and I believe people love it. But I also can't change the fact that it feels like a Souls mod to me. But that's just my opinion of course!

Honestly, as long as it's not a Call Of Duty, Fortnite, or something equivalent I'm all for it!

I still can't believe the amount of hate Death Stranding has received, lmao.

brian0057

Banned
Here is the list of the voters for the VGA

Here is some insight from the EZAllies kids

What's that? An outlet comprised of former GameTrailers employees has no problem with another former GameTrailers employee, the allmighty Dorito Pope, by the way, being involved in a possible conflict of interest?
I'm shocked. Shocked! I tell ya.

Fake

I should quite gaming because, e.g., I prefer Mario Odyssey over Zelda BotW?
No, because you refuse every game of the year winner, not just BOTW year.
Its fine to disagree with GOTY show, but three years at row?
Its getting too personal dude.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No, because you refuse every game of the year winner, not just BOTW year.
Its fine to disagree with GOTY show, but three years at row?
Its getting too personal dude.

You literally told him he should quit gaming because Overwatch, BotW and GoW were not his 2016, 2017 and 2018 games respectively. What are you even trying to say?

Tiamat2san

Some maybe.
I am not.
It’s a great game and I don’t care about the stupid controversy.
Does anybody really pay attention to the game awards anyway?

Fake

So he should quit gaming because you think he won't like what games win goty in the future?

Never mind that he enjoys playing other games right? Makes sense 👍
If you hate the show, why keep talking about? Just admit you hate the show and move on. Is impossible to please everyone you know. Make much sense than every year complain about running in circle.
Why, because his games of the year were not the VGA games of the year? What the fuck are you on about? Overwatch and GoW weren't my GOTY in those years either, should I quit gaming?
You don't need to answer for him. Disagree with GOTY show is fine, but at row so much years by now and 'none' of the GOTY please some folks. Its time to accept that you don't like the show and move one. Just that dude. Not hard science.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I really think Jedi Fallen should have been nominated but oh well. I haven't played DS to really speak on it but I hear it's not that good.

Where have you read that? People seem to like it here and the scores were pretty great as well.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
You don't need to answer for him. Disagree with GOTY show is fine, but by at row so much years by now and 'none' of the GOTY please some folks. Its time to accept that you don't like the show. Just that dude. Not hard science.

I have literally no idea what you're even saying at this point. Never mind.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
Does anybody really pay attention to the game awards anyway?

Well, enought to people make posts saying it ain't good enought to be a contender. But like I said, theres aways gonna be case of games that people thinks its gonna be a winner and others that aren't worth of being a winner.
But the real question is: if DS wasn't nominated...would be a rage at all? Would people still think that awards suck or doesn't matter if their dream contender was in that position instead?

AV

He hate the show.

Okay. You said that Yoshi (and by extension anyone in the same position) should quit gaming because their GOTY did not match the VGA GOTY every year. That's an insane statement. It's going nothing to do with how much he likes or dislikes the show.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
feel like the best thing to do is just ignore awards shows and play what u like. i mean, does anyone care about the Oscars? or the Grammy's? awards shows are just industry glad handing. places where the wealthy or well connected pat themselves on the back at the expense of the creatives who toiled for years. getting upset over them is like getting upset at a stockbroker presentation or something.

Last edited:

Fake

Okay. You said that Yoshi (and by extension anyone in the same position) should quit gaming because their GOTY did not match the VGA GOTY every year. That's an insane statement. It's going nothing to do with how much he likes or dislikes the show.
Maybe I was too harsh saying that, but he hate the show.

Last edited:

Atrus

Gold Member
I’ve finally finished Death Stranding after 125 hours and its clear that it would at the very least be a Game if the Year nominee.

It’s certainly my choice for GOTY. It has a great soundtrack, great graphics, compelling gameplay to suck up your time, is a unique and original premise, and a memorable gaming experience.

The hate for the game since the beginning seems to be entirely bizarre and misplaced.

If you hate the show, why keep talking about? Just admit you hate the show and move on. Is impossible to please everyone you know. Make much sense than every year complain about running in circle.

You don't need to answer for him. Disagree with GOTY show is fine, but at row so much years by now and 'none' of the GOTY please some folks. Its time to accept that you don't like the show and move one. Just that dude. Not hard science.

But why should Yoshi Yoshi QUIT GAMING as you recommended?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Does anyone even watch the show for the awards? Seems like most people tune in for the announcements and trailers.
The way they hand out some of these awards (some are handed out during the pre show, some are just awarded in a bulk before a commercial break, etc) makes it look like not even the show organizers really care about the awards either.

Still though, people can say "b..but Geoff doesn't vote" all they want. When you have a game with an 83 metascore having the most nominations in an awards show hosted, produced and organized by a person who is in the game, is friends with the creator of that game and introduces said creator as the second coming of jesus every time he can .... it's obviously going to raise some eyebrows

Yeah, wasn't it last year when they showed more awards in-show for streamers and eSports than actual games. I remember Ninja, that weird furry dude and some eSports awards shown during the show while some winning games were simply mentioned with no award presentation. The VGAs is pretty much a shitshow other than the game announcements.

Who cares what game wins? As others have said it was a pretty weak year for games anyway. Gears 5 would have been my choice but it wasn't even nominated. Am I mad, hell no I couldn't care less.

Silent Duck

What? Death Stranding dominate the awards?!?
All I can say is... ok.

HvZgU72.gif

Top Bottom