• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People are mad that Death Stranding could win 2019 GOTY Award

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I dont think any game as polarizing as this should win Game of the Year. It should be a game that is almost universally liked imo. I mean even a couple of the '10/10' reviews said the actual gameplay is boring.
If this wasnt a Kojima game, but was still the exact same game, it wouldnt be anywhere near to any awards.

:messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:

Fake

Even if DS does not take GOTY, it would have taken many awards and sealed itself as a highly praised and high mindshare game this year...….Thing is, Kojima has already accomplished what he wanted with the game, everyone is talking about DS, those who've played, those who have not played, those who think its GOTG/GOTY or those who think it's worse than Superman 64, it doesn't matter, DS is trenched and heavy in the conversation on forums, youtube, award ramblings everywhere.
That's actually a good perspective of this case.

Nester99

holy fuck I just finished chapter 9
This game DESERVES to win that GOTY 100%
Geezus christ how is this game so fucking good and how did they make it in like 3 years..

This game was memed so fucking hard as a walking simulator and then u had idiotic reviewers like ign who gave it a 6.7 while complaining in his review about how much time it takes to fast travel while u barely need to use it in this game. I bet he did not even finish the game. And u had idiotic reviewers like jim sterling who have to use a clickbait title as ''made for walking'' while u can do so many missions with a bike or car. And god dam u also had stupid reviewers who kept complaining about it being tedious when u have to keep pressing both triggers to walk stable but u get so many shit like power skeletons to counter that.

Dam, this game was not reviewed by so many for what it actually is and many people either did not finish it or went in with so much hate.

Game with the best story in 2019
Best cutscenes and once u get passed the first 2 chapters u are not bombared with big long cutscenes constantly.
The performances from the actors are REALLY good
The music in this game is brilliant. Very wel chosen and there really are some breathtaking moments when music starts playing while on a long hike.
The bosses look insane, sure they are pretty easy but its not even their idea to have hard bosses but the visuals dam..
Amazing mechanics in the game like the way u can climb everything, descent with the ropes. Use ziplines, build ladders, bridges
A really unique great online component that really makes a difference

People need to shut up about this game not being GOTY worthy. most people who say it are either just hating cozz they think geof is rigging it
or they have not played it and only listened to reviewers who clearly had a hard time reviewing this game for what it is

first 2/3 is goty. Last 1/3 is pure fucking trash and ruined the entire experience for me. I got to the 3rd credits and pulled the disc out and deleted the game. Kojima ruined his masterpiece imo

finish up and let us know your thoughts.

Fake

But pineapple on Pizza is delicious.
giphy.gif

Really!? For me this year was as good as 2017, I had too much game to play this year.

I mean, these are the notable releases for me:

2017:
- Fire Emblem Heroes
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Nier Automata
- Disgaea 5
- Hellblade Senua
- Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- Dishonored
- Xenoblade 2
- South Park: Fractured but Whole
- Assassin's Creed Origins
- Super Mario Odyssey

2019:
- Tales of Vesperia
- Kingdom Hearts 3
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Astral Chain
- Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Gears 5

2017 gangrapes 2019 harder than than a hundreds nafris ever could 💁🐧

VFXVeteran

Banned
The problem is that awards are rubbish. I already played the title a bit, it's good, but in my opinion I am bothered by the fact that they buy the nomination because they put the guy in the game, I nominate him for his context.

These awards are as fake as the Oscars, it doesn't matter if Pixar launches the biggest crap in the world, he always wins the nominations.

That is most certainly 100% ---- truth.

Fake

Really!? For me this year was as good as 2017, I had too much game to play this year.
Make me remember the time I spoke about the best year of gaming on resetera. That dumbass guy called 'Phantom Thief' told me 'you're wrong', because for him the best year of gaming was the year of BOTW and Mario release probably looking for score sum, but for me only those games was getting release by that time on NS. If you look, 2019 was actually pretty good for Nintendo Switch. A lot of good games getting release at the same time.
So I agree with you about this year the catalogue was better. Not only for Nintendo, but from both Sony and even Microsoft/PC. People can't deny that. Everyone happy.
Unfortunately unlike you people spend more time finding score points rather than games. '2019 almost no 10/10 games on metacritic'...

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I mean, these are the notable releases for me:

2017:
- Fire Emblem Heroes
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Nier Automata
- Disgaea 5
- Hellblade Senua
- Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- Dishonored
- Xenoblade 2
- South Park: Fractured but Whole
- Assassin's Creed Origins
- Super Mario Odyssey

2019:
- Tales of Vesperia
- Kingdom Hearts 3
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses
- Astral Chain
- Zelda: Link's Awakening
- Gears 5

2017 gangrapes 2019 harder than than a hundreds nafris ever could 💁🐧
I agree that 2017 was fantastic but so is 2019 for me. Here the games I played in 2019:

- Astral Chain
- Sekiro
- Fire Emblem Three Houses
- Luigi's Mansion 3
- Resident Evil 2 Remake
- Kingdom Hearts 3
- Link's Awakening
- Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
- Atelier Ryza
- Daemon X Machina
- Catherine Full Body
- Dragon Quest XI S
- Tale of Vasperia Definitive Edition
- Persona Q2

And I loved all of them, I especially surprised how much I enjoyed Atelier Ryza even tho I never played any other Atelier games before.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

No way GOTY. Every time i play the game there's packages all over the place. Obviously people are like "fuck this game" and threw packages on the ground. I'm tired of picking up after people for no reward other than "Likes". I'd rather go around and pee on everyone's structures. Kojima belongs in a mental institution.

Mista

Banned
No way GOTY. Every time i play the game there's packages all over the place. Obviously people are like "fuck this game" and threw packages on the ground. I'm tired of picking up after people for no reward other than "Likes". I'd rather go around and pee on everyone's structures. Kojima belongs in a mental institution.
If you think a video game developer should go to a mental institution because you don't like his game, you're the one that actually needs to go to a mental institution

You don't like a game? drop it and moooveeee onnnnnn

Mista

Banned
Not like there's any other better big budget games that came out this year.
It doesn't need to be a big budget game bro. A Plague Tale is a great example

Don't know about Astral Chain and Sekiro if they're big budget or not

brap

Banned
It doesn't need to be a big budget game bro. A Plague Tale is a great example

Don't know about Astral Chain and Sekiro if they're big budget or not
If it's not a AAA game or a little indie darling it's not gonna win GOTY. Just how it is.

Handel

I just find it sad that the only time any kind of "artsy" game has a chance of winning GOTY at a mainstream event like this is when it's a bloated mess from a big name like Kojima. People brought up TLG a lot to defend against people's criticisms of Death Stranding, yet while TLG received 0 nominations at the 2017 TGAs, DS has the most of any game.

People calling this game brave and something fresh are delusional. Kojima was not taking a risk of anything financially or even long term critically within the industry with this, and it's only even somewhat unique and an "artsy" game within the AAA sphere.

Kenpachii

What have been some of the exclusives that you feel are worthy of note?

They are billions

Path of exile,

Wow classic

Age of empire 2 definitive edition

FF14 shadowbringer

Total war three kingdoms

Disco Elysium

Anno 1800

Its videogame awards, not platform awards, all the main options are on PC, except Death Stranding, but its coming.

90% of there list would not have made it on there if it wasn't on console. They are all consolish games with PC ports. I don't call those PC games even remotely.

PC games are games that originate from PC not the other way around.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I just find it sad that the only time any kind of "artsy" game has a chance of winning GOTY at a mainstream event like this is when it's a bloated mess from a big name like Kojima.
People calling this game brave and something fresh are delusional. Kojima was not taking a risk of anything financially or even long term critically within the industry with this, and it's only even somewhat unique and an "artsy" game within the AAA sphere.
LOL it is funny how you lament the lack of the industry's ability to celebrate art then mere sentence later you blast him for making an "artsy" game and call anyone who celebrates it's higher aspirations is "delusional". then you complain is game is only artsy "within the AAA sphere" as if the game should be competing with, like, free game jam games or something. like no shit a mainstream event will celebrate mainstream games. like LOL what point are you even making here you are tripping over your own dick.

Last edited:

Stuart360

They are billions

Path of exile,

Wow classic

Age of empire 2 definitive edition

FF14 shadowbringer

Total war three kingdoms

Disco Elysium

Anno 1800

90% of there list would not have made it on there if it wasn't on console. They are all consolish games with PC ports. I don't call those PC games even remotely.

PC games are games that originate from PC not the other way around.
But like i said, its Videogame Awards, not platform awards. It doesnt matter what platform the game is on. And like others have said, its always going to be a AAA game that wins this stuff, not Indie or AA.

EDIT. And if you dont class console ports as PC games, then you are cutting out like 80% of the games on PC.

Last edited:

Keihart

I hope it wins so people can cry about it.
The game is good, it's just different to mainstream games, it's like an indie game in design but with a buttload of money in production. What more can you ask really?

Petrae

Yeah, They should totally exclude a game and its developers from awards designed to recognize hard work and artistry because someone who has absolutely no voting power is cursorily involved with it. /s

The only ones who care about this are those who hate Death Stranding and are terrorized by the idea that it could be recognized for the great game it is. Well, though luck. It's obvious that they don't care about your whining and they're going forward with it, as they should.

The funny thing is that we live in a world in which one of the biggest magazines & media outlets in the industry is owned by a video game retailer, and no one says "buh" about it.

Prove the bolded. Keighley, the “judges”, and Keighley’s former co-workers don’t count.

Fact is, you can’t. Nobody can. There isn’t an independent source to do so. The conflict of interest is readily apparent, but as I’ve stated numerous times, it’s on Keighley’s dime and his “awards” have never been and never will be legit... so, at the end of the day, he can and will do what he wants.

It’s also shitty of you to generalize criticism of this as people who “hate” the game at hand. I don’t have a horse in the race, and there are likely others in the same boat. What we’re calling attention to is the perception that Keighley created by basically worshipping this developer and accepting a role in the game while full well knowing that he is allegedly running an impartial awards show. He created this problem; he could have said no to the guest role, but being so enamored with Kojima as he is, he couldn’t say no.

Of course, Keighley is going to ignore/deflect the criticism. Nothing is going to submarine his baby.

Lastly, save the whataboutism. Deflecting from the argument at hand by citing another source to justify said conflict of interest is not a good look. And, if you kept up with the thread, you’d notice that we addressed a similar conflict of interest situation with Dan Ryckert and his appearance in L.A. Noire. Despite the decision to have someone else other than Ryckert review the game, there were still questions about the source’s ability to stay impartial because of favorable treatment.

Death Stranding will likely get its fair share of awards later this year, and many of them won’t be shrouded in the same conflict of interest that these non-awards have showcased. In the future, perhaps Keighley will think of the optics before he publicly fawns over a developer and accepts a role in said developer’s game. “No” is always an option, even for the heartiest of fanboys.

Handel

LOL it is funny how you lament the lack of the industry's ability to celebrate art then mere sentence later you blast him for making an "artsy" game and call anyone who celebrates it's higher aspirations is "delusional". then you complain is game is only artsy "within the AAA sphere" as if the game should be competing with, like, free game jam games or something. like no shit a mainstream event will celebrate mainstream games. like LOL what point are you even making here you are tripping over your own dick.

They're not celebrating art in the industry though, just patting Kojima on the back for trying his hand at an art game.

As for a mainstream event having to celebrate the mainstream , have you ever heard of the Academy Awards? We rarely see the movie equivalent of AAA games up for Best Picture.

Gargus

Banned
I don't understand awards at all or why people care about them. Did you enjoy the game? If yes then cool, if not then cool. What does an award have to do with either answer?

Jesus every year games or movies I fucking hate win awards and I don't give a shit because it doesn't effect me at all. Just like I love tons of movies and games that never win anything but it didn't make me enjoy the game any less.

People act like an award affects them personally and they need validation in what like or dislike. I do not. I like and dislike what I do and I can't possibly begin to care what the rest of the planet thinks.

Besides awards are bullshit designed to make money and nothing else. It's designed to bring in advertisers to market their products to viewers and nothing more. I mean awards shows aren't magically free, someone has to be paying for it all and its paid for by advertisers. If no one was making money they wouldn't exist. Like at the Oscar's it costs like 2 million dollars for a 30 second commercial to be run while its airing. If it cost 200 dollars instead there would be no Oscar's. Awards shows are a business venture and nothing more.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The inherent problem with this particular situation is regardless of how much Keightley might say otherwise unless the VGAs plan of releasing the voting ballots from the various judges (which I highly doubt) there will always be the suspicion as the validity of the results because of his involvement in the project. The fault lies with Geoff for agreeing to that at the end of the day.

Look, people would still look sideways at Keighley purely on the basis of DS and Kojima being featured prominently in past Game Awards showings. So his appearance in the game is not just the issue.

The way I see it, if DS were excluded purely on the basis of optics, it would devalue the awards and the winners of each category anyway. Its not the game's fault, its a political technicality, so it'd leave an open "what if?" hanging over the competition.

I'd also add that if Keighley was so transparently corrupt, why would anyone cooperate with him? You need a field of candidates, not just winners.

IamOnline4Real

owns Galaxy Brain. Still shrink wrapped.
Death Stranding is no GOTY.

1. Nonsense story ( I dare anyone here to prove me wrong)

2. repetitive gameplay. ( Deliver same boxes from point A to Point B)

3. Corny antagonist. (Higgs, Amelie, BTs..) all weak no sense of danger.

Bought the game day one to support my dude, enjoyed it but was disappointed at the end. It was a good game, but not a great one.

I put SEKIRO, RE2 and CONTROL above and beyond DS. each one of them deserve the GOTY.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Prove the bolded. Keighley, the “judges”, and Keighley’s former co-workers don’t count.

Fact is, you can’t. Nobody can. There isn’t an independent source to do so. The conflict of interest is readily apparent, but as I’ve stated numerous times, it’s on Keighley’s dime and his “awards” have never been and never will be legit... so, at the end of the day, he can and will do what he wants.

It’s also shitty of you to generalize criticism of this as people who “hate” the game at hand. I don’t have a horse in the race, and there are likely others in the same boat. What we’re calling attention to is the perception that Keighley created by basically worshipping this developer and accepting a role in the game while full well knowing that he is allegedly running an impartial awards show. He created this problem; he could have said no to the guest role, but being so enamored with Kojima as he is, he couldn’t say no.

Of course, Keighley is going to ignore/deflect the criticism. Nothing is going to submarine his baby.

Lastly, save the whataboutism. Deflecting from the argument at hand by citing another source to justify said conflict of interest is not a good look. And, if you kept up with the thread, you’d notice that we addressed a similar conflict of interest situation with Dan Ryckert and his appearance in L.A. Noire. Despite the decision to have someone else other than Ryckert review the game, there were still questions about the source’s ability to stay impartial because of favorable treatment.

Death Stranding will likely get its fair share of awards later this year, and many of them won’t be shrouded in the same conflict of interest that these non-awards have showcased. In the future, perhaps Keighley will think of the optics before he publicly fawns over a developer and accepts a role in said developer’s game. “No” is always an option, even for the heartiest of fanboys.

Prove what? In your foaming-at-the-mouth rush, you haven't bolded anything. You're the one making accusations. The burden of proof is on you. Good luck.

Conflict of interest? The Game Awards is an entirely private endeavor. They don't have any official value of any sort, and the only authority they have is the subjective credibility people give to them. As a privately owned and run enterprise, they could arbitrarily decide to give all the awards to Bubsy and it would be perfectly fine. They're not even a media outlet, so they aren't required to stick to any press integrity standard. Their value is entirely entertainment. No more. No less.

Your "perception" is absolutely irrelevant. The nominations and awards are voted by a giant panel of journalists from all over the world, not by Keighley.

You claim "I don't have a horse in the race" Yeah sure, lol. If you didn't have a horse in the race, you wouldn't be whining about a private award show nominating a game for some awards.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Forgot to add:

Most people defending DS are "ASS-Kissers." just like Geoff Keighley. I like and played all of Kojima games but i won't bend over for him to screw me!!

Youre not the one to decide someone as ass kissers as people have their own ideas about the best game because that the idea of award

Its called opinion and choices

Youre exactly the kind of people he described in the video, abusive and have no respect

Also reporting u for using offensive language toward people who doesnt support your ideas

Last edited:

IamOnline4Real

Youre not the one to decide someone as ass kissers as people have their own ideas about the best game because that the idea of award

Its called opinion and choices

Youre exactly the kind of people he described in the video, abusive and have no respect

Also reporting u for using offensive language toward people who doesnt support your ideas

I am just telling the truth.

How can a game be considered GOTY when all you do is carrying boxes from point A to B? walking long distance and throwing grenades at BTs?

Is it just because the game is made by "Kojima"?

Hell no, this game doesn't deserve the GOTY.

For a game to be a GOTY, it has to have:

1. Varied and great gameplay

2. Fun and immersive gameplay and environment.

3. A great story from start to end.

4. Great animations and mechanics.

5. Etc...

I enjoyed DS as much as the other 'ass-kissers" but i am not gonna give it an easy pass just because it is made by Kojima. I luv my dude to succeed but i expected more from him.

IamOnline4Real

Once you have seen a distro center or a bunker, you have seen them all. Copy paste work.

From the east coast to the west coast the landscape is the same except when you reach the junk yard and south knot.

I expected more from him. His work hasn't evolved much since he left konami.

Just look at the way Cory completely re-created GOD OF WAR. Thats how much i am expecting from Kojima.

For a game to be a GOTY it should be based on some very specific criteria, not on the fact that some people just love the game.

And yes... people can love crap!!

Airbus Jr

Banned
I am just telling the truth.

How can a game be considered GOTY when all you do is carrying boxes from point A to B? walking long distance and throwing grenades at BTs?

Is it just because the game is made by "Kojima"?

Hell no, this game doesn't deserve the GOTY.

For a game to be a GOTY, it has to have:

1. Varied and great gameplay

2. Fun and immersive gameplay and environment.

3. A great story from start to end.

4. Great animations and mechanics.

5. Etc...

I enjoyed DS as much as the other 'ass-kissers" but i am not gonna give it an easy pass just because it is made by Kojima. I luv my dude to succeed but i expected more from him.

Theres no truth when it comes to awards

It all came down to personal opinion

Get used to it

After over half a decade of butthurt and several deaths, SJWs finally agree that that it is about ethics in game journalism because a big budget action game/walking simulator hybrid will win a corporate award :unsure:

Last edited:

IamOnline4Real

Or maybe it is the opposite.
Maybe what you love is crap.
And what you think is crap is actually good.

i agree, i do love crap, i even previously said that i enjoyed and like death Stranding ( spent 160 hours) , but honestly it does not deserve GOTY.

Psykodad

Banned
Forgot to add:

Most people defending DS are "ASS-Kissers." just like Geoff Keighley. I like and played all of Kojima games but i won't bend over for him to screw me!!
Sounds like you are letdown because you expected a different game, so now you're acting like a typical snowflake.

Last edited:
Top Bottom