• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

People are mad that Death Stranding could win 2019 GOTY Award

IamOnline4Real

owns Galaxy Brain. Still shrink wrapped.
Sounds like you are letdown because you expected a different game, so now you're acting like a typical snowflake.

people these days....

Coming from a guy who made Metal Gear, to now make a walking, hiking simulator...yeah, i was expecting a different game..

IamOnline4Real

Death Stranding is for some people their first Kojima game, so it's natural that they did not expect more.

Their standard is very low, me i put the bar high, very high for him.

Keihart

people these days....

Coming from a guy who made Metal Gear, to now make a walking, hiking simulator...yeah, i was expecting a different game..
He also directed ZoE after MGS, the only expectation should be crazy story and deep wacky mechanics that relate in a not subtle way to the context of the game.
Kojipro delivers, if this game was more MGS it would be a let down. Big part of Kojipro being independent was to make something that would never fly under Konami and make it in a sensible time frame, establishing the studio as legit. They have completely done it.
If the game sells, they will also be establishing a new standard in what high production games can be.

IamOnline4Real

He also directed ZoE after MGS, the only expectation should be crazy story and deep wacky mechanics that relate in a not subtle way to the context of the game.
Kojipro delivers, if this game was more MGS it would be a let down. Big part of Kojipro being independent was to make something that would never fly under Konami and make it in a sensible time frame, establishing the studio as legit. They have completely done it.
If the game sells, they will also be establishing a new standard in what high production games can be.

I am not discrediting what he did here with DS. I hope the game sells very well. But the game is not GOTY.

Kadayi

Banned
Look, people would still look sideways at Keighley purely on the basis of DS and Kojima being featured prominently in past Game Awards showings. So his appearance in the game is not just the issue.

The way I see it, if DS were excluded purely on the basis of optics, it would devalue the awards and the winners of each category anyway. Its not the game's fault, its a political technicality, so it'd leave an open "what if?" hanging over the competition.

I'd also add that if Keighley was so transparently corrupt, why would anyone cooperate with him? You need a field of candidates, not just winners.

WTF? Feel free to find the post where I remotely suggested that Death Stranding be excluded from GOTY. I'll wait.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It’s probably not going to matter anyway. I really doubt Death Stranding is going to win — it’s much too controversial and arthouse.

That said, I do understand the concerns, especially with how gaming journalism is in the 2010s. This is not out of character.

If I had to put money on it, I’d say Keighley just wanted to accept a kind honor, and Kojima just wanted to thank him for the kindness of sticking up for him when he literally lost everything, and was being pretty mistreated, not even allowed to accept a reward for the game he directed.

It’s a fun cameo that I enjoyed, and I don’t think seeing your visage in a game is going to make you alter the course of a major awards ceremony where you don’t even get a vote, but it does highlight how important objectivity, and the appearance of objectivity, is.

I’m glad the subject is being raised, in any case. We need to be asking hard questions about journalism, gaming or otherwise.

KOMANI

KOMANI
No he didn’t. Neither the first or the second. He produced both, and had less to do with the second than the first.
Zoe 2 (anubis)

However, even though I’m the Producer, I never knew exactly what the team—including Murata—were up to. They showed me the planning docs and the story. But if someone had said to me, “ok Kojima, make this game now”, I wouldn’t have known where to begin. But that’s what being a Producer is all about. Imagine if the game director is in the middle of directing a scene, and the Producer comes in and says “That’s wrong.” I don’t think he should be saying that.
ZOE1
IGNPS2: Has Kojima-san had much influence into the game's design?

Okamura: Mr. Kojima is the producer. He's created the perfect environment where our team can create the best game we can. Nowadays, he's been giving us a lot of useful hints and tips regarding the actual development of the game.
And he directed the opening cutscene of ZOE 1

ethomaz

Banned
i agree, i do love crap, i even previously said that i enjoyed and like death Stranding ( spent 160 hours) , but honestly it does not deserve GOTY.
I agree it deserves to be Game of the Generation.

It is mechanically the best game Kojima ever created.... the transversal gameplay is something fun, addictive and with sense of archivment you can't find in others games.

The Story I can't say much yet because I'm early espisode 3 with over 40 hours is playtime but for now it is really interesting and we'll done. to the point that I want to know more about.

The online components wonderful works and makes the gameplay loop enjoyable and unique.

It really made me think devs should use it as example for future titles instead to the same old pre-made design of over 90% of the titles released nowdays.

Last edited:

Somoza

I have not played it but i think (again, from my ignorance) that if a game takes ten hours to "get good" it shouldnt be the game of the year no matter how good it gets later on. But i dont know.

Ulysses 31

iu

Noriaki Okamura was the director and writer for Zone of the Enders, not Hideo Kojima.

EDIT: Ah, didn't see KOMANI KOMANI had already replied. =P

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Noriaki Okamura was the director and writer for Zone of the Enders, not Hideo Kojima.

EDIT: Ah, didn't see KOMANI KOMANI had already replied. =P
Just to add, Shuyo Murata directed ZOE 2 (Anubis in Japan), and was mainly responsible for PW, and the text lore in Death Stranding.

imsosleepy

I'm nearing the end of Death Stranding
And I'm actually more mad that Tommie Earl Jenkins did not get a nomination for best performance because holy shit.. He deserves it way more then Mads Mikkelsen. That scene near the end.. My god, so good

I don't give a shit about these awards (only watching for trailers/announcements) but would be nice to see Sekiro winning anything. It's an amazing game.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think Death Stranding might win depending on the angle.

Technically, it's a very impressive game. And also artistically, it's unique and sets a pretty high bar in terms of story telling, and animations. Acting and stuff. But if you're gonna put gameplay way up top, and the full experience. Then the Death Stranding team should be somewhat happy to get the nominations.

I think the game is amazing, but it don't deserve GOTY. That's just my opinion. Hideo Kojima is still awesome.

BadSector

Banned
Death Stranding is a very good game (see our review), just not THAT good to win The Game Awards IMHO. Sekiro is objectively a better game for example or Astral Chain and Luigi's Mansion 3 as well, which are not even present at TGA. And if Death Stranding is present, Days Gone and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order should be present as well since they present the same kind of quality on a 10/10 scale. So yes, Death Stranding is a bit overrated in that regard, but the same thing happened with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which also won and got plenty of 10/10 scores, while it's an 8/10 game as well.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sekiro is objectively a better game for example or Astral Chain and Luigi's Mansion 3 as well, which are not even present at TGA.
I like those three games waaay more than Death Stranding but it doesn't make it objective "better game". We have 1000 up on 1000 games that will appeal to different people, there are people who find Sekiro's difficulty complete turn off so for them Death Stranding is better game. Its all subjective at end of the day.

Like said before VGA for most part is popularity contest, for example, a game with anime artstyle will have very low chance of winning the VGA compare to game with hyper realistic visuals because hyper realism have more mass appeal. Also I bet you anything VGA will never let a game with "sexy designs" ever win GOTY awards.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

Death Stranding is a very good game (see our review), just not THAT good to win The Game Awards IMHO. Sekiro is objectively a better game for example or Astral Chain and Luigi's Mansion 3 as well, which are not even present at TGA. And if Death Stranding is present, Days Gone and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order should be present as well since they present the same kind of quality on a 10/10 scale. So yes, Death Stranding is a bit overrated in that regard, but the same thing happened with The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, which also won and got plenty of 10/10 scores, while it's an 8/10 game as well.

Here the thing, your opinion isn't fact (nor anyone else's). Fuck I hate when someone says a game is objectively better than another (even if it's a game I really like). EVERYONE's opinion or review on a game is subjective and the quality of a game is subjective (unless it's some horribly broken). I couldn't even finish Astral Chain or Sekiro because I got bored with them, yet I played through BOTW like 4 times. And Days Gone is one of my favorite open world games this gen. I just started Death Stranding last night and I'm loving just like I did MGSV (which was my personal GOTY that year). Again all that is subjective and just my opinion and I wouldn't dare suggest that my opinion is fact because I'm not that arrogant. To put it simply, people like different shit (dunno why it's so hard to get that into people's head).

Bkdk

Death stranding isn’t even the best game to watch in YouTube, as a game it’s a massive disappointment, though I’m still hype of Kojima will make a survival horror game like silent hill or reboot siren as he’s having a closer partnership with Sony. Hopefully the trailers and announcement make up for it and deliver a good game awards show.

ethomaz

Banned
I have not played it but i think (again, from my ignorance) that if a game takes ten hours to "get good" it shouldnt be the game of the year no matter how good it gets later on. But i dont know.
It is good since begining...

It is weird to see people that did not play the game saying the focus is cinematography, story telling and animations when it is the weak part of the game.

Death Stranding shines in the unique and addictive gameplay combined with the online system.
The transversal is something that you never get tired and always wants to try new paths and exploration.
Each new delivery is a new adventure in that fascinating world.
The sense of archivment for each new path is something you will never understand if you didn't play it... it feels good.

Death Stranding deserves the GOTY title more than any other game this generation due its gameplay.

It should be an example for developers to try new things.

Last edited:

Dante83

Banned
I don't mind if modern warfare wins GOTY. It's a well made game. Great campaign and great MP. It well rounded. Sekiro also deserves to be a candidate. It feels unique compared to the souls games with a different setting. RE2 remake and devil may cry 5 are also strong candidates. I know death stranding might take it, but I prefer MW, sekiro, RE2 remake or DMC 5 to win.

The issue with death stranding winning is not about the quality of the game or how people perceive the game to be, it's the fact that keighly and kojima have a working relationship, and the results could be skewed in death stranding's favour.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I don't mind if modern warfare wins GOTY. It's a well made game. Great campaign and great MP. It well rounded. Sekiro also deserves to be a candidate. It feels unique compared to the souls games with a different setting. RE2 remake and devil may cry 5 are also strong candidates. I know death stranding might take it, but I prefer MW, sekiro, RE2 remake or DMC 5 to win.

The issue with death stranding winning is not about the quality of the game or how people perceive the game to be, it's the fact that keighly and kojima have a working relationship, and the results could be skewed in death stranding's favour.
Well and others places? GAF for example... I expect DS to take the most GOTY awards this year.

Saruhashi

Banned
To be fair here, if the game that wins GOTY gets a whole load of additional sales due to that award being attached to the game then there are naturally some obvious issues here.

Having the guy who is the face of the awards show being in your game and being heavily involved in the promotion of your game is a major conflict of interest and it should, unfortunately, disqualify the game from the awards.

Honestly Keighley should know and should have known better than this.
Dude, you are the face of the game awards. You know that award winning games will get a sales bump.
You can't be starring in and promoting your buddies game and then be proudly announcing it as game of the year.

He should have either passed on being in and so heavily promoting the game or disqualified the game from the awards.

For me the game is up there with the best of the year but I think Sekiro or Smash Ultimate should get the nod instead.
Definitely don't have a problem with Death Stranding being in the conversation. It's a great game.

This is a bad look though and it is just terrible for the already flimsy credibility of these awards. Even the fact that it has so many nominations is just... it seems really underhanded and sleazy.

Aion002

people these days....

I think that's unfair, because since the reveal they have been saying that it was a different kind of game and that combat was not the focus.

I pre ordered every single metal gear solid, but I did not buy this game yet, because they warned that the gameplay was different.

So buying this game and hoping for a similar game to metal gear is unfair, don't you think?

IamOnline4Real

I think that's unfair, because since the reveal they have been saying that it was a different kind of game and that combat was not the focus.

I pre ordered every single metal gear solid, but I did not buy this game yet, because they warned that the gameplay was different.

So buying this game and hoping for a similar game to metal gear is unfair, don't you think?

I was not hoping DS would be like MGS, i was just hoping the game would be more engaging when it comes to combats.

In DS all you need are those HP grenades you can use to beat the entire game. You don't even need to use the assault rifles or guns to beat enemies.

Thats why i was disappointed, i wanted a challenge but....it was an easy ride.

Roni

Gold Member
I was not hoping DS would be like MGS, i was just hoping the game would be more engaging when it comes to combats.

Not every game is about combat and Death Stranding was never advertised as a combat-heavy game... So, where did that come from and how is that fair to the game?

You want a challenge in Death Stranding? Aim for Legend of Legends deliveries without using aids.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

In DS all you need are those HP grenades you can use to beat the entire game. You don't even need to use the assault rifles or guns to beat enemies.

Your dissapointment its totally understandable. Although I don't remember he mentioning that the game would have combat as a main topic(or any). The only combat thing I got from the game was s fight scene from one of their videos. And even so I already noticed it wasn't its really focus. Unless I would need to believe the game would have multiple combats parts where you have to defend yourself with your delivery package.

I also notice it would be unconvetional the moment Kojima said it would be a "strand game".

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
People are mad, as in crazy, not angry, that it even gets nominated but you don't see me making a thread to complain about it :d

Last edited:

Arachnid

Here the thing, your opinion isn't fact (nor anyone else's). Fuck I hate when someone says a game is objectively better than another (even if it's a game I really like). EVERYONE's opinion or review on a game is subjective and the quality of a game is subjective (unless it's some horribly broken). I couldn't even finish Astral Chain or Sekiro because I got bored with them, yet I played through BOTW like 4 times. And Days Gone is one of my favorite open world games this gen. I just started Death Stranding last night and I'm loving just like I did MGSV (which was my personal GOTY that year). Again all that is subjective and just my opinion and I wouldn't dare suggest that my opinion is fact because I'm not that arrogant. To put it simply, people like different shit (dunno why it's so hard to get that into people's head).
IMO you go too far to the opposite end of the spectrum. There's plenty of objective and subjective comparisons one could draw between different video games. Those objective comparisons increase depending on genre and similarities (unless we start getting more abstract like minesweeper or pong or something lol). It's a mix of both.

Last edited:
Top Bottom